Hakkinen or Salo: which Mika is better?

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Hakkinen or Salo: which Mika is better?

Post by Nuppiz »

BaconLettuceNinja wrote:
Nuppiz wrote:But none of them can beat this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAGbrM-M ... re=related (warning, mildly NSFW) :lol:

NSFW...does that mean Not Suitable for Wmetcalf? :?

Well it usually means Not Suitable for Work, but on our forums it could very well be Wmetcalf instead. :)
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Let's just agree Marcus Gronholm is bathplugging awesome and leave it at that Image
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

kostas22 wrote:Let's just agree Marcus Gronholm is bathplugging awesome and leave it at that Image

My name is Eurobrun and I approve of this message.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

kostas22 wrote:Let's just agree Marcus Gronholm is bathplugging awesome and leave it at that

:? Who?
Just For One Day...
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

CoopsII wrote:
kostas22 wrote:Let's just agree Marcus Gronholm is bathplugging awesome and leave it at that

:? Who?

Former rally driver.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Myrvold

Post by Myrvold »

After reading a real "HATE MIKA SALO" thread on Autosport, I changed my mind. Hakkinen is better. Way better!
Verde

Post by Verde »

Hakkinen: shy, friendly, good husband, good father, spends his weekends playing with his son or taking care of his gardens, enjoys old comedies, cries when watching Marley and Me, all neighbors love him, his wife's family loves him, reliable employee, great driver.

Salo: bluffer, arrogant, funny, a good guy to hang out, drink a lot and cast some stones on windows, likes rock out loud, thinks he's a mixture of James Hunt and Kurt Cobain, marry to whores, will die of overdose even though 27 benchmark is gone long time ago, great driver without a real good chance.

I used to support Salo on his last F1 years, but of course Häkkinen is one of the most interesting champions that ever existed. I started to appreciate more his character after I saw its video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRIq3UhoB-M
http://www.bandeiraverde.com.br

The reject (and non-reject) side of motorsport. In Portuguese.
stupot94

Post by stupot94 »

Hakkinen all the way.

P.S. love reading all the Finnish driver quotes. Fantastic
Say your prayers, here comes the Pastor
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Hakkinen. Easy.

The Sundays back then wouldn't come fast enough for me, I watched the races with my dad and we were always hoping for Mika to do well.
I remember getting up ridiculously early in the morning for the Suzuka GP '99, anticipating another championship clincher. And he almost lapped Irvine! The race was too early for my dad, though. He thought I was crazy.

If you haven't watched this recent interview, you MUST right away. It's very good and conducted in a beautiful setting over-looking Monaco. Also very insightful:

http://youtu.be/QNCXOznFI_8

Click
12:23
18:38
22:08
for some Mika gold, where he continues his "The Ron" escapades.
-*:-
Samster

Post by Samster »

Is Mika Salo as good as Mika Hakkinen?

May I point to Hungary 1999 where he somehow qualified down in 18th for Ferrari, then he even dropped to 20th for the entire first stint behind de la Rosa and Badoer! Badoer of all people! :lol:

His race at the Nurburgring that year was also equally pathetic from what I remember.

Yes I'm sure if Salo did have a front running car for a whole season he could have been a winner, but he was very inconsistent I thought so he'd never get to challenge for a title.