Podiums Gone but not forgotten and other interesting podiums

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
QuickYoda41

Re: Podiums Gone but not forgotten and other interesting pod

Post by QuickYoda41 »

ibsey wrote:
QuickYoda41 wrote:
But the best ever: I read somewhere that the organizers didn't have the Australian anthem in Austria for Alan Jones, so 'Happy Birthday' was played for him. (I believe it was in 1977)

Do you suppose there were people in the crowd who actually thought that was the Australian national anthem? :lol:

"I've heard this song somewhere. I never knew it was the Australian national anthem."

Or a couple of weeks later:

"Thanks for coming and for the gifts. Btw, why did you sing me the Australian national anthem?"
midgrid

Post by midgrid »

ibsey wrote:
midgrid wrote:Yes: James Hunt and Carlos Reutemann declined to hang around for the podium ceremony, so it was just third-placed Patrick Depailler and the Magneti Marelli representive who got to spray the champagne.

Do you by chance, know why Hunt & Reutemann declined to hang around for the podium, perhaps they had got a plane to catch?

I think it was indeed having planes to catch, plus the post-race procedure not being as standardised as it is now.
"One day Bruno told me that he had heard the engine momentarily making a strange sound; his suspicion was that all the cylinders had been operating."
--Nigel Roebuck
FantometteBR

Post by FantometteBR »

I was thinking about that subject now and I wondered how many 'repeat' podiums ever happened at Formula One (well those ones where the same drivers go to podium in two or more consecutive races, regardless of position).

I kinda wonder today with the rules and the powers to be, it's kinda easier to it, but and what about the earlier decades?
Bertrand Gachot, Pacific, Connew and Piercarlo Ghinzani's No.1 Fan

1995 Rejects-1 World Champion with Driver (Julio Vaca) and Team (V.I.D.A.) - Because the first time you can never forget
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

Well get this for a repeat podium:

The last race of 1997 and the first race of 1998 had EXACTLY the same top three.Bet thats never happened before...

1. Hakkinen (McLaren-Mercedes)
2. Coulthard (McLaren-Mercedes)
3. Villeneuve (Williams-Renault in 97, Williams-Mechacrome in 98)
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
Jack O Melley

Post by Jack O Melley »

AdrianSutil wrote:Well get this for a repeat podium:

The last race of 1997 and the first race of 1998 had EXACTLY the same top three.Bet thats never happened before...

The same between 1986 Australian Grand Prix (Adelaide) and 1987 Brazilian Grand Prix at Jacarepaguà:
1. Alain Prost (McLaren-Tag Porsche)
2. Nelson Piquet (Williams-Honda)
3. Stefano Johansson (Ferrari in 1986, McLaren-Tag Porsche in 1987)
Giovanni Roda - The most shamelessy rude and reject driver in 'F1 Challenge' Championship
- And in F1RWRS
- And... oh damn.
QuickYoda41

Post by QuickYoda41 »

Frentzen finished 3rd in Australia '98, not Villeneuve
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

QuickYoda41 wrote:

Frentzen finished 3rd in Australia '98, not Villeneuve

Had to check that and your right. I've honestly always thought it was Villeneuve :oops:
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

James1978

Post by James1978 »

Belgium and Italy 1990 both had a Senna, Prost, Berger podium (both in the same order). I would have thought there would be quite a few during that era actually.
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
James1978

Post by James1978 »

There were two repeats in 1992 - Mexico and Brazil both Mansell, Patrese, Schumacher, then France and Britain were both Mansell, Patrese, Brundle.
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
James1978

Post by James1978 »

There were also two repeats of Senna/Prost/Boutsen in 1988 - Canada and Detroit, then Hungary and Belgium (though Boutsen did get DQd later on he did appear on the podium).

Senna, Prost and A. N. Other was my original thought when I saw the first example!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

James1978 wrote:Senna, Prost and A. N. Other was my original thought when I saw the first example!

Ahh yes, Anthony Nicholas Other. A brilliant driver. So much unfulfilled potential. He was never seen on the podium unless it was alongside both Prost and Senna. And those were his only points finishes if I remember correctly.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Sunshine_Baby_[IT]

Post by Sunshine_Baby_[IT] »

Talking about interesting podiums, I was wondering when was the first podium with three drivers all born in the 80's? I was thinking about Spanish grand prix 2007, where the top three was Massa (born 1981), Hamilton (1985) and Alonso (1981). Did it happened before?
I'm Perry McCarthy and Taki Inoue's fan number 1 and I always will be.

My twitter: @Miluuu_Sunshine
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

...and that we've now had one driver on the podium born in the 90s is nothing short of terrifying.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
QuickYoda41

Post by QuickYoda41 »

Sunshine_Baby_[IT] wrote:Talking about interesting podiums, I was wondering when was the first podium with three drivers all born in the 80's? I was thinking about Spanish grand prix 2007, where the top three was Massa (born 1981), Hamilton (1985) and Alonso (1981). Did it happened before?

Brazil 2006 - Massa, Alonso, Button (1980)
Sunshine_Baby_[IT]

QuickYoda41 wrote:
Sunshine_Baby_[IT] wrote:Talking about interesting podiums, I was wondering when was the first podium with three drivers all born in the 80's? I was thinking about Spanish grand prix 2007, where the top three was Massa (born 1981), Hamilton (1985) and Alonso (1981). Did it happened before?

Thank you! I wasn't thinking about Button as a driver born in the 80's, I've just realized he's born in 1980 and not in 1970. Anyway what about the 70's? I suppose that the first podium with drivers all born in the '70 was with Barrichello, Coulthard and Montoya (or Ralf Schumacher) something like ten years ago...?

Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Sunshine_Baby_[IT] wrote:
QuickYoda41 wrote:

Thank you! I wasn't thinking about Button as a driver born in the 80's, I've just realized he's born in 1980 and not in 1970. Anyway what about the 70's? I suppose that the first podium with drivers all born in the '70 was with Barrichello, Coulthard and Montoya (or Ralf Schumacher) something like ten years ago...?

Yeah, would have been Ralf, Rubens and Crazy Dave...
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

dinizintheoven wrote:...and that we've now had one driver on the podium born in the 90s is nothing short of terrifying.

This, so much. :shock:

I think it'll be another three or four before we have a podium composed of drivers born in the 90s. Perez will be one of those probably, I wonder who the other two could be? Charles Pic? :P
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Sunshine_Baby_[IT]

East Londoner wrote:I think it'll be another three or four before we have a podium composed of drivers born in the 90s. Perez will be one of those probably, I wonder who the other two could be? Charles Pic? :P

I guess Vergne would be a little more possible than Pic. ;)
BaconLettuceNinja wrote:Yeah, would have been Ralf, Rubens and Crazy Dave...

It should be San Marino 2001, with Ralf's first victory. Second and third where Coulthard and Barrichello if I'm not wrong.

Last podium with all drivers born in the 70s instead could be Raikkonen / Montoya / Barrichello... but I'm not sure about it.

QuickYoda41

Post by QuickYoda41 »

Well, last podium without any '80s guy is Hungary '05, but that includes Michael Schumacher from the 60s. (Räikkönen 1st, Ralf 3rd)

Last only '70s is the same year from Monaco - Räikkönen, Heidfeld, Webber - one of my favourite podiums ever, actually. :)
Sunshine_Baby_[IT]

QuickYoda41 wrote:Well, last podium without any '80s guy is Hungary '05, but that includes Michael Schumacher from the 60s. (Räikkönen 1st, Ralf 3rd)

Last only '70s is the same year from Monaco - Räikkönen, Heidfeld, Webber - one of my favourite podiums ever, actually. :)

You're right, I was thinking about Raikkonen, Montoya and Barrichello in 2005 and I realized that the last time they were on the podium together was in 2004.

I suppose that the last only 60s was Japanese grand prix 1999, with Hakkinen (1968), M.Schumacher (1969) and Irvine (1965... right?)...

TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

East Londoner wrote:I think it'll be another three or four before we have a podium composed of drivers born in the 90s. Perez will be one of those probably, I wonder who the other two could be? Charles Pic? :P

I guess Vergne would be a little more possible than Pic. ;)
BaconLettuceNinja wrote:Yeah, would have been Ralf, Rubens and Crazy Dave...

It should be San Marino 2001, with Ralf's first victory. Second and third where Coulthard and Barrichello if I'm not wrong.

Nope. That would have been the 2000 Monaco Grand Prix: DC, Rubens and Fisichella (1973)
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Sunshine_Baby_[IT]

Wizzie wrote:Nope. That would have been the 2000 Monaco Grand Prix: DC, Rubens and Fisichella (1973)

What a weird thing: that was one of the few times that Fisichella was on podium and I forgot it! :o

RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

Wizzie wrote:Nope. That would have been the 2000 Monaco Grand Prix: DC, Rubens and Fisichella (1973)

What a weird thing: that was one of the few times that Fisichella was on podium and I forgot it! :o

When I watched the 2000 season review DVD and the only thing I can remember him doing was getting a podium at Interlagos.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
David AGS

Post by David AGS »

Fisi got a 3rd in Canada too.

Mansell cutting his hand on the trophy in Brazil 1989 on memory?

Little bit off topic, but there are some tracks where a driver is going to do well no matter what. (Im trying to take best car on grid out of it)

Examples:

Massa always did well in Turkey. Was that where he got his first win.

Coulthard was always good in Monaco. Same as Alesi

Berger always did well in Australia. (Has perfect Albert Park record of two 4th placings!),

Fisichella always done well in Canada. (8th 1996 Minardi, 3rd 1997 Jordan, 3rd 1998 Benetton, 2nd 1999 Benetton, 3rd 2000 Benetton).

Hamilton always does well in Canada too, first win? Also a few other strong showings, apart from that brain fade in pit lane.

On the opposite end, out of the possible 290 laps in 5 races in Albert Park, Johnny Herbert only did 59. DNS in 1996 (Brundle hit him when flying) DNF 1997, involved in accident with Irvine and Villeneuve, 1998 6TH PLACE, 1999, engine overheat on grid, same issue with Barrichello who gets spare, 2000. Does 1 lap before car stops.

BTW back to Canada, is the track the most in terms of first wins for driver. 4 come to mind without thinking, Thierry Boutsen, Jean Alesi, Lewis Hamilton and Robert Kubica.
Miserable Thierry (Boutsen) staggers round mostly on ten cylinders (out of 12) with no clutch, low oil pressure, bad brakes and no grip to finish tenth, 3 laps down...

(Murray Walkers review of Boutsen's Brazil 1991 race).

Thats a point these days!
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

David AGS wrote:BTW back to Canada, is the track the most in terms of first wins for driver. 4 come to mind without thinking, Thierry Boutsen, Jean Alesi, Lewis Hamilton and Robert Kubica.

Hungary has a few as well. Kovalainen, Alonso, Button and Damon Hill all spring to mind.

Canada also has the late, great Gilles Villeneuve to add to the list of people who won their first race at Circuit Gilles Villeneuve
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

interesting fact that both Senna and Coulthard both won their maiden gp at estoril
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

David AGS wrote:
Fisichella always done well in Canada. (8th 1996 Minardi, 3rd 1997 Jordan, 3rd 1998 Benetton, 2nd 1999 Benetton, 3rd 2000 Benetton).

Only place where he had the measure of Alonso, although he found problems in both his races as a teammate there.
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

Ferrim wrote:
David AGS wrote:

Only place where he had the measure of Alonso, although he found problems in both his races as a teammate there.

I did start a thread about drivers excelling on certain tracks and remember Irvine was pretty awesome at Argentina.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015