2017 "Stroll in the Park" Canadian Grand Prix

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Ataxia
Not Important

2017 "Stroll in the Park" Canadian Grand Prix

Post by Ataxia »

I wasn't entirely sure if this weekend was a Grand Prix weekend. Turns out it is. Huh...

Yes, this weekend the Formula 1 field makes the march to North America and Montreal for the Canadian Grand Prix. Over the years, the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve has produced some thrilling races and huge talking points; this year, the fight for the title between Lewis Hamilton and Sebastian Vettel is in full swing and Canada should be another battleground for the two to do battle. Or something like that. Anyway, let's get the low-down...

What is Canada? Canada was invented by the French in 1535, and like all good French things, the British had to stick their beaks in and ruin it. The Brits have also ruined further French inventions, such as nouvelle cuisine, mayonnaise and Bastille Day.

Technically, it was the Americans who ruined mayonnaise, but recent political rumblings have displayed that we're complicit in everything they do.

Canada is well-known for its almost indecent infatuation with maple syrup. This is made from the sap of maple trees, and is usually doused on top of anything that can be eaten by humans to make it more "palatable". It also lends its name to "maple syrup urine disease", which is unrelated.

According to a website which deals in facts about Canada (where do you think I get this sh*t from), Canada has the third largest oil reserves in the world, and only Saudi Arabia and Venezuela have more natural reserves. With that in mind, it's massively surprising that serial Sunny D enthusiast Donald Trump hasn't thrown US troops north over the border. Maybe he's scared of polar bears.

Canada is also the home of frozen food heroes Pinty's. Just like you get at the pub!

In the motorsport world, Canada is best known for having spawned mouth-on-a-stick Jacques Villeneuve. Villeneuve, son of the late Gilles (who was a lot quieter and introverted than the seed of his loins), is a man who is known to frequently argue with brick walls. He also won a world championship this one time, and in a different career as a singer-songwriter released a seminal pop album which was described as "lovely stuff" by Shakin' Stevens.

I've written an article about this. Depending on whether or not I can flog it off elsewhere, it might appear on GPR in due course. I had to listen to the freaking album all the way through.

Currently, Canada's biggest motorsports heroes in other series are IndyCar's James Hinchcliffe, mayor of the thriving metropolis Hinchtown, and DTM's Robert Wickens, who is commonly referred to in the same sentence as "would have been good in F1". F1 has its own Canadian star in Lance Stroll, who is known best for being very wealthy and having lots of money. He might crash every now and again, but he's got lots of money so who actually cares?

A man of many talents, Hinch can dance, host podcasts, do an impression of Kimi Raikkonen and make you wonder why F1 drivers aren't as charismatic as him.

There's your potted history of Canada. Other things Canada is known for includes: ice hockey, Justin Trudeau, Pinty's, Seth Rogen, Justin Bieber, snow, saying "aboot" and "eh" a lot, frequent apologies, Pinty's, Drake, Alanis Morrisette and the unclear definition of irony, more snow, Hayden Christiansen, Pinty's and having a town in Newfoundland called Dildo.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
CoopsII

Re: 2017 "Stroll in the Park" Canadian Grand Prix

Post by CoopsII »

Brilliant read, Ataxia. Although you did miss out it's most famous export - William Shatner.
Just For One Day...
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Don't forget Pinty's! Just like you get at the pub!
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

You also forgot to mention the Goose!

Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

More trouble:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/40206808

Kind of odd from Fernando though. Seems to read "I'll leave if we haven't made progress by September but I haven't really thought about my future and won't until September."

I think McLaren will be Merc customer next year. Or will we have the ultimate sacrilege: McLarens with Ferrari engines?
thor97

Post by thor97 »

Ataxia wrote:saying "aboot"

So Americans can't say free health care
Fernando Alonso wrote:The Engine Feels good
Much Slower than Before
Amazing
mario

Post by mario »

Enforcer wrote:More trouble:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/40206808

Kind of odd from Fernando though. Seems to read "I'll leave if we haven't made progress by September but I haven't really thought about my future and won't until September."

I think McLaren will be Merc customer next year. Or will we have the ultimate sacrilege: McLarens with Ferrari engines?

I think that the FIA does have a facility that enables them to compel a supplier to provide an engine to a team, though the likelihood of them exercising that is rather unlikely (I expect that either Mercedes or Renault would bow to behind the scenes pressure before that point).

At the very least, this sounds like a threat to force Honda to commit more resources to their engine programme, and possibly to persuade Honda to look to some external consultants too. The possibility of a Mercedes customer engine deal does sound increasingly likely though, especially given that there is an available contract with Manor's demise.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Enforcer wrote:Or will we have the ultimate sacrilege: McLarens with Ferrari engines?

Ron Dennis may be no more but I'd like to think there are still enough proper McLaren people left that that would never happen. I'd also like to believe that, on receipt of said Ferrari units, the mechanics would refuse to touch the bloody things.
Just For One Day...
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

It would also raise the question of whether Honda switch their factory backing to Sauber, approach another team about factory backing (Williams & Haas don't have engine deals for next season iirc), have no "factory" team and just treat Sauber like a customer, or pull out?
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

CoopsII wrote:
Enforcer wrote:Or will we have the ultimate sacrilege: McLarens with Ferrari engines?

Ron Dennis may be no more but I'd like to think there are still enough proper McLaren people left that that would never happen. I'd also like to believe that, on receipt of said Ferrari units, the mechanics would refuse to touch the bloody things.

I doubt Ferrari would even offer, unless compelled to by the FIA.

Enforcer wrote:It would also raise the question of whether Honda switch their factory backing to Sauber, approach another team about factory backing (Williams & Haas don't have engine deals for next season iirc) not back a factory team and treat Sauber like a customer, or pull out?

Sauber are already getting free engines next year according to reports, so that's a possibility.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Looks nice and blowy in Montreal. Let's hope that mixes things up a bit. A nice rainshower or two would be very welcome, too!