Community Podcast: Episode IV - A New Hope

The place for discussion of all aspects of the gprejects.com website
Bobby Doorknobs

Community Podcast: Episode IV - A New Hope

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

The thread title fits rather nicely, don't you think?

Anyway, DanielPT suggested that some of us get together to do a short 5-minute recording as a way of seeing if there's any hope of reviving one of the most beloved sections of the F1 Rejects website, the podcast.

So far, at least three of us have voiced our interests in undertaking this challenge, but there are questions to answer and roles to fill, so let's get down to business.

We need at least two hosts, one of whom must have the appropriate equipment and software for recording this piece. I would be happy to have a crack at hosting, but I lack any recording software or a mic, though I have a friend who does. tommykl has got a microphone and has expressed an interest in this little project, so that should hopefully be the two hosts and recording equipment out of the way, unless there are other interested parties.

One other issue is content. This is only going to be a five-minute recording, so there won't be a huge amount of content, obviously. My idea was to do "The Big News in Formula One" and discuss the most recent developments in the mad world of F1 (Alonso's accident, confirmation of the helmet design ban, Jorda becoming a Lotus development driver, the impending return of Manor etc.), but if YOU have any ideas, please let us know here!

This podcast is almost certainly going to be done using Skype, as not all of us live within a close geographical proximity, so if you use Skype and wish to take part, great, please post your Skype name in this thread (I only signed up for it a few minutes ago!). And of course, many of us are busy with things like school, college, work etc. and as such don't always have free time in which to do this, so please let me know when you're available, as well as your timezone, and I'll add you to the list below. If there's a certain role you want to fill, please state what role you would like to take on.

So, who's interested?

Contributors
Simtek. Timezone: GMT. Available: Tuesdays and weekends. Skype name: antobyrne27
tommykl. Timezone: GMT. Available: Wednesdays, Fridays and weekends. Skype name: thomas.debock
TheFlyingCaterham. Timezone: AEST (GMT +10). Available: Weekdays (15:15-18:00, 19:00-20:00) and weekends (08:00-11:30, 13:30-17:30). Skype name: themeepasaur
roblomas52. Timezone: GMT. Available: Evenings and weekends. Skype name: roblomas52
rachel1990. Timezone: GMT. Available: Every day after 19:00, all day Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Skype name: rachel199045
dinizintheoven. Timezone: GMT. Skype name: pcxjrw
mrfakeboullier. Timezone: GMT. Available: Most weekends, Thursday evenings. Skype name: seandsmyth
peteroli34. Timezone: GMT. Available: Weekdays after 20:30, all day Wednesdays and Saturdays, Sundays after 18:00. Skype name: peter d1900
TomPryce. Timezone: GMT. Skype name: sirloinestake
Robbie. Timezone: CST (GMT -6). Available: Weekdays after 17:00 Skype name: simracerworld
Faustus. Timezone: GMT. Available: Until the end of April. Skype name: fredericoribeiro1977
kodabar. Timezone: GMT. Available: Any time. Skype name: kodabar
Last edited by Bobby Doorknobs on 20 Apr 2015, 19:07, edited 10 times in total.
#FreeGonzo
tommykl

Re: Community Podcast: Episode IV - A New Hope

Post by tommykl »

Not really bothered about the role, but my Skype username is simply thomas.debock, and I'm available Wednesdays, Fridays and weekends.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Simtek wrote:We need at least two hosts, one of whom must have the appropriate equipment and software for recording this piece. I would be happy to have a crack at hosting, but I lack any recording software or a mic, though I have a friend who does. tommykl has got a microphone and has expressed an interest in this little project, so that should hopefully be the two hosts and recording equipment out of the way, unless there are other interested parties.

I said it in the chat, but I am going to say it again for those who aren't on there: if you are interested, provide a sample of your voice: there is nothing more embarrasing than high-pitched "men" in an audio file and we as a site should be above that.
TheFlyingCaterham

Post by TheFlyingCaterham »

I could try and have a go but my voice isn't very clear and I will almost certainly have background noise :P
But then again, I could just move rooms :P

Anyway, I'm not entirely sure what role I would like to be in, and I am availible most weekday afternoons and weekends.

Skype name: themeepasaur

As for Klon's point, just watch one of my youtube videos and see how you think of my voice :P
EDIT: Just gonna clarify my time zones and what times I can be on.

Timezone: AEDST/AEST

Times I can be on:

Weekdays: 3:15pm-ish - 6pm-ish; 7pm-8pm (I'm usually never on at this hour-long period though :P)

Weekends: 8am-11:30am, 1:30pm-5:30pm
Last edited by TheFlyingCaterham on 03 Mar 2015, 23:53, edited 3 times in total.
Resident Track Designer Addict

2016 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Champion
2017 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Runner-Up

More of a reader than a poster on these forums, so I won't post much compared to others.
Bobby Doorknobs

Klon wrote:
Simtek wrote:We need at least two hosts, one of whom must have the appropriate equipment and software for recording this piece. I would be happy to have a crack at hosting, but I lack any recording software or a mic, though I have a friend who does. tommykl has got a microphone and has expressed an interest in this little project, so that should hopefully be the two hosts and recording equipment out of the way, unless there are other interested parties.

I said it in the chat, but I am going to say it again for those who aren't on there: if you are interested, provide a sample of your voice: there is nothing more embarrasing than high-pitched "men" in an audio file and we as a site should be above that.

I'll see if I can get some of the stuff I recorded in college. ;)
#FreeGonzo
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

If I had all the talent in the world and the equipment to do it, I would do a direct rip-off of this in vodcast form :P
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Bobby Doorknobs

I should have clarified this in the OP, but could anyone interested also post their timezone as well? Afternoon for TheFlyingCaterham is very early in the morning for me, after all. :P
#FreeGonzo
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

I am willing to help out

Skype name: roblomas97 (When the account is confirmed and working) roblomas52

Time Zone: GMT

Available: evenings and weekends

Edit: put in the account name after I got it set up this morning.
Last edited by roblo97 on 04 Mar 2015, 09:21, edited 1 time in total.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Personally I don't feel I can really contribute anything here, but I want to make one quite important point clear.

Enoch and Jamie, whilst having a laugh, ran a well-organised and sensible ship. They did things properly, and they did them well. If they hadn't it wouldn't have lasted as long as it did. Whilst there will inevitably be hiccups along the way if a new podcast is started, the worst thing we need is immaturity, and being unprepared and unprofessional. If the podcast is something that will be actively pursued in future, it will represent the website and the forum. Just keep that in mind.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

AndreaModa wrote:Personally I don't feel I can really contribute anything here, but I want to make one quite important point clear.

Enoch and Jamie, whilst having a laugh, ran a well-organised and sensible ship. They did things properly, and they did them well. If they hadn't it wouldn't have lasted as long as it did. Whilst there will inevitably be hiccups along the way if a new podcast is started, the worst thing we need is immaturity, and being unprepared and unprofessional. If the podcast is something that will be actively pursued in future, it will represent the website and the forum. Just keep that in mind.

I completely agree with this, which is why I approve the motion to record five-minute snippets to see what people think. Also, keep in mind that immaturity and silliness are two very different things :P
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

AndreaModa wrote:Personally I don't feel I can really contribute anything here, but I want to make one quite important point clear.

Indeed, which is why I'm approaching everything being suggested here with a truckload of salt. Nothing gets put up, nothing, without prior evidence of quality on the part of the contributor in question. And hence why I'm not rushing into it. And why I'm unsure I'd be suitable for a podcast of any kind.

Image Image
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

Tiny voice-For the last 3 years I have done a f1 show on the radio. But I Don't have a Microphone (but I could buy one if necessary).
Timezone Gmt

But I would be willing to help- Availible- all evenings (after 7pm) all day monday tuesdays and Wednesdays
Skype name rachel199045
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
Bobby Doorknobs

Biscione wrote:

Indeed, which is why I'm approaching everything being suggested here with a truckload of salt. Nothing gets put up, nothing, without prior evidence of quality on the part of the contributor in question. And hence why I'm not rushing into it. And why I'm unsure I'd be suitable for a podcast of any kind.

I 100% agree with both of the above posts. We are a very long way from even attempting doing full-length podcasts of the quality that we received from Jamie and Enoch and even with something as comparatively small as this good organisation is required. Baby steps are necessary at this point and there are other, more important issues regarding the site that need addressing at the moment. This is merely an experiment.
#FreeGonzo
TimmyB

Post by TimmyB »

Great to have the forum back!

Anybody who was hoping that I wouldn't be involved with this new community podcast will be pleased to know that this is indeed the case. 'Real life' is getting in the way for now.

Looking forward to smelling what brews from the rest of you.
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

I have plenty of time, but i don't feel like i'll be able to be much of a contribution. I will therefore instead just give my honest opinion about the podcasts. After all, i do have some experience as a concert reviewer^^
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

I will at least throw myself into the ring, seeing as I've actually been on an F1 Rejects podcast a year ago. And, need I mention again (as Enoch did several times last year) The Hammer Of Retribution Ogg-Cast

I do have a Skype account (pcxjrw, as I remember, but I've never used it...), I'm as GMT as the others, and I'm not going to be available on 7th March, due to impending hospitalisation. More horrible details on that if anyone wants it...
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
mrfakeboullier

Post by mrfakeboullier »

Id be interested, and I can post a link to a YouTube video I was in. I'm GMT and my Skype name is seandsmyth. I can do most weekends and Thursday evening
Bobby Doorknobs

Good to see there are quite a few people interested in this! I won't be able to use the forum for much of today as I can't access it on my college's wi-fi, so there will be a lot of silence from my side, but I would like to know how specifically everyone thinks they can contribute to this. Some of you are also probably looking for a recording of my own voice to prove that I'm not talking out of my arse (or possibly that people have been lying to me for years) and I am going to see if I can get a copy of an interview I did with one of my classmates and post a snippet of it here later.
#FreeGonzo
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Great to see this moving forward! Now, for the 5 minute snippets, it would be great if you guys did both an improvisation part about a news piece and a mostly scripted part about another, as I feel a podcast, to have a flow within a segment, will need to have both. For that you will have to agree on what to say at a given time and have some sort of key words if not phrases, but I leave the rest to you. I count 7 names up until now, so I'd suggest that you guys paired as you wish and one of them pairs maybe can become a trio, I don't know (we can try that format too). Remember, this is just an experiment.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

It would be good to see the return of the podcasts, so ill throw my hat into the ring and say i would like to be a part of this

Skype Name: peter d1900
Timezone: GMT
Availability: weekday after 8:30pm, except wednesday when im avaliable all day. All day Saturday, Sunday after 6PM
Bobby Doorknobs

mrfakeboullier wrote:Id be interested, and I can post a link to a YouTube video I was in. I'm GMT and my Skype name is seandsmyth. I can do most weekends and Thursday evening

If you want to have a go at recording a five-minute segment then by all means post that link. :)

As for my recording, I can't get a hold of my college stuff so I'm going to do a quick one on my phone of me talking about the helmet change ban or something when I get the chance and upload it somewhere.
#FreeGonzo
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Simtek wrote:
mrfakeboullier wrote:Id be interested, and I can post a link to a YouTube video I was in. I'm GMT and my Skype name is seandsmyth. I can do most weekends and Thursday evening

If you want to have a go at recording a five-minute segment then by all means post that link. :)

As for my recording, I can't get a hold of my college stuff so I'm going to do a quick one on my phone of me talking about the helmet change ban or something when I get the chance and upload it somewhere.

If you have no alternative you can try it like that, but there is no hurry and preferentially it would be better doing it with another forum member as the dynamic is completely different.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Bobby Doorknobs

DanielPT wrote:
Simtek wrote:

If you have no alternative you can try it like that, but there is no hurry and preferentially it would be better doing it with another forum member as the dynamic is completely different.

I do plan on doing it with another member (just don't know which one yet). The recording on my phone is just going to fulfil Klon's request for a voice sample.
#FreeGonzo
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Videos of me exist on YouTube, whether they're music covers, vlogs or geocaching videos. Just search my username and you'll find stuff :P

DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

tommykl wrote:Videos of me exist on YouTube, whether they're music covers, vlogs or geocaching videos. Just search my username and you'll find stuff :P

I am sorry to say, but you need much more work on your singing voice... :P
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

DanielPT wrote:
tommykl wrote:Videos of me exist on YouTube, whether they're music covers, vlogs or geocaching videos. Just search my username and you'll find stuff :P

I am sorry to say, but you need much more work on your singing voice... :P

I know, I know... I never said I was good or anything ;)

mrfakeboullier

Post by mrfakeboullier »

Here are the two youtube videos I was in (I'm not the guy whos channel it is)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeiMTF-6aUU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRdXt4FHlYg
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

So for a voice sample i have recorded a team and driver preview for the season. its only 5 minutes long so doesnt ibclude massive amounts of detail

http://www.formularejects.com/uploader/repository/peteroli34/2015%20preview.wma

It will be intresting to see what you think a whether or not the podcasts are something that could be a part of

The first one was scripted while the one below is a bit more improvisation

http://www.formularejects.com/uploader/repository/peteroli34/preview.wma
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

peteroli34 wrote:So for a voice sample i have recorded a team and driver preview for the season. its only 5 minutes long so doesnt ibclude massive amounts of detail

http://www.formularejects.com/uploader/repository/peteroli34/2015%20preview.wma

It will be intresting to see what you think a whether or not the podcasts are something that could be a part of

The first one was scripted while the one below is a bit more improvisation

http://www.formularejects.com/uploader/repository/peteroli34/preview.wma

Very well. Now if you could do it with someone else it would be great. In a single file not much is needed just some interaction both scripted and improvised.
TomPryce

Post by TomPryce »

Hi guys

I know I'm not a massive forum-ite, but I wanted to throw my hat in the ring for one crucial element - editing.

I have used editing software so much I can do it backwards, so I am more than happy to do that if needs be. Moreover, I was once a popular YouTuber and used to produce professional let's plays. I am also a teacher, and run a very tight ship and am certainly not immature, so if you want to have any other supporters, my skype name is

Paul Matthias (sirloinestake)
Remembering a Welsh sporting hero. Pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad.
Bobby Doorknobs

TomPryce wrote:Hi guys

I know I'm not a massive forum-ite, but I wanted to throw my hat in the ring for one crucial element - editing.

I have used editing software so much I can do it backwards, so I am more than happy to do that if needs be. Moreover, I was once a popular YouTuber and used to produce professional let's plays. I am also a teacher, and run a very tight ship and am certainly not immature, so if you want to have any other supporters, my skype name is

Paul Matthias (sirloinestake)

Paul, such a contribution would be much more than welcome should this project ever get green-lighted. :)
#FreeGonzo
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

http://www.formularejects.com/uploader/ ... 20Done.m4a

Slightly scripted, Mostly improvised.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I won't be contributing my voice to the podcast (but will definitely be a keen listener and keeper of the podcast, as I did with the others to date). But could I request that regardless of what happens to the intro, we maintain the outro music as a link to the old podcast? James Darren's "Here's To The Losers" just seems so strangly apt.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Bobby Doorknobs

roblomas52 wrote:http://www.formularejects.com/uploader/repository/roblo97/New%20Recording%204%20Done.m4a

Slightly scripted, Mostly improvised.

That sounds really good Rob, considering that it is mostly improvised.
dr-baker wrote:I won't be contributing my voice to the podcast (but will definitely be a keen listener and keeper of the podcast, as I did with the others to date). But could I request that regardless of what happens to the intro, we maintain the outro music as a link to the old podcast? James Darren's "Here's To The Losers" just seems so strangly apt.

I once again emphasise that we are nowhere near any stage of readiness for recording any podcasts. Even if we were we would need Biscione and/or Nuppiz's seal of approval before actually giving it a proper go. But to answer your question: Absolutely. The outro would most definitely have to be kept. No question. In fact, I would like to keep this podcast as close to the old one in terms of structure and content as possible.
#FreeGonzo
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Simtek wrote:I once again emphasise that we are nowhere near any stage of readiness for recording any podcasts. Even if we were we would need Biscione and/or Nuppiz's seal of approval before actually giving it a proper go.

Oh, I am quite aware of that. But it was just something on my mind and I just wanted to get it out there as a request.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Bobby Doorknobs

For anyone interested, this is me: http://www.formularejects.com/uploader/ ... 015_16.m4a

Opinions?
#FreeGonzo
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Really like Simtek's voice and style, very reminiscent of the old podcast!
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Image Image
wmetcalf7 4

Post by wmetcalf7 4 »

Wow, all of these are excellent :shock: :) Great job, but for some odd reason I can't open Peteroli's clip. Ah well..... Anyways, I'd like doing this, but, youngest forum member, so my voice is.... I think you get the point :lol:
#GetWellWickens