Red Bull's Trophies

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
dr-baker

Red Bull's Trophies

Post by dr-baker »

Autosport has reported that they had 60 trophies stolen last night, at about 1:30 am GMT. Some were replicas. The robbers made off in foreign fans. It has left the night-time security guards pretty shaken.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Red Bull's Trophies

Post by shinji »

I'm sure if Vettel had asked politely he'd have gotten his trophies, no need to stoop to something like this.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Police are trying to ascertain the whereabouts of a white male who was seen hanging around the trophies earlier in the week and have advised the general public not to approach him.

Just For One Day...
mario

Post by mario »

dr-baker wrote:Autosport has reported that they had 60 trophies stolen last night, at about 1:30 am GMT. Some were replicas. The robbers made off in foreign fans. It has left the night-time security guards pretty shaken.

Horner's comments seem to suggest that most of the trophies on display were replicas rather than the originals, which is at least something - either way, it sounds like a pretty sizeable attack (at least six people are thought to have taken part), which makes me wonder if this was something that was done to order. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-be ... s-30359781
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

That is one of the craziest and saddest things there is, sure, I begrudge them dominating the sport, but not to the point that you nick the trophies. The photo on BBC article makes it clear this was the target, the article asks why anyone would take them? Easy. They are going to be high value on the black market, even if not the originals. Maybe Hamilton was right to demand Mclaren gave him the originals after all?
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

sswishbone wrote:That is one of the craziest and saddest things there is, sure, I begrudge them dominating the sport, but not to the point that you nick the trophies.

I don't think the intention was to get back at them for a few dull seasons of F1.
Just For One Day...
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

These have very little value in reality. As soon as it becomes clear that you are the owner of even one of them, then you're pinned to the robbery.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
mario

Post by mario »

sswishbone wrote:That is one of the craziest and saddest things there is, sure, I begrudge them dominating the sport, but not to the point that you nick the trophies. The photo on BBC article makes it clear this was the target, the article asks why anyone would take them? Easy. They are going to be high value on the black market, even if not the originals. Maybe Hamilton was right to demand Mclaren gave him the originals after all?

I'm not sure that those trophies would actually have a high value on the black market - the trophy is only really valuable because of an explicit connection with the team, but at the same time that explicit link would surely make it very difficult to sell the trophies off because it would be obvious to everybody who they belonged to. That is kind of why I suspect that the thieves are working to order in this instance, since the difficulties in selling off the trophies would probably make them almost worthless - in which case, the thieves are probably not actually getting that much money for the job (I'd wager that they are perhaps getting a few hundred pounds each at most).

As an aside, McLaren's approach is quite different to Red Bull's approach - in the case of Red Bull, the trophies were on open display and very exposed to the public (they were mounted in a glass cabinet right next to the front entrance), which compromised the security they could put in place. McLaren's approach, IIRC, is much more on an "invitation only" basis, which means that the trophies are locked away in more secure section of McLaren's technical centre, so I would be much more surprised if anything ever happened to those trophies.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Collieafc

Post by Collieafc »

And actions like this are why F1 fans cant have nice things - when there is already critisism about F1 being kept away from the fans, Red Bull will clamp down on security and make themselves less accessible (and cant be blamed for it).
DanielPT wrote:Life usually expires after 400 meters and always before reaching 2 laps or so. In essence, Life is short.
pablo_h

Post by pablo_h »

I can't help laugh about the jokes made about this.
One of the get away cars was a merc, merc team had a function happening nearby too. Rosberg?
Other funny comments involve fantastic scenarios involving Vettel, Bernie and/or Adrian.

I can't treat this as a serious crime somehow, and the posts and theories about it have made me laugh. That's been more important to me right now than a team's replica silverware that has no real value anyway.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

pablo_h wrote:I can't treat this as a serious crime somehow, and the posts and theories about it have made me laugh. That's been more important to me right now than a team's replica silverware that has no real value anyway.

I've heard (from the fourth post) that most of the trophies there were replicas. Meaning there were some real ones.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

This is the amount of trophies Red Bull has got through its F1 history. Each win is counted as two trophies as team member is also awarded trophy on the podium.
2005: -
2006: 1
2007: 1
2008: 1
2009: 22
2010: 29
2011: 39
2012: 21
2013: 37
2014: 15
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

Bleu wrote:This is the amount of trophies Red Bull has got through its F1 history. Each win is counted as two trophies as team member is also awarded trophy on the podium.

Total: 166
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

shinji wrote:
Bleu wrote:This is the amount of trophies Red Bull has got through its F1 history. Each win is counted as two trophies as team member is also awarded trophy on the podium.

how many were Vettel's... :lol:
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

WeirdKerr wrote:
shinji wrote:

how many were Vettel's... :lol:

65 for him alone plus 38 constructor trophies for wins. 103 in all.
#FreeGonzo
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

mario wrote:
sswishbone wrote:That is one of the craziest and saddest things there is, sure, I begrudge them dominating the sport, but not to the point that you nick the trophies. The photo on BBC article makes it clear this was the target, the article asks why anyone would take them? Easy. They are going to be high value on the black market, even if not the originals. Maybe Hamilton was right to demand Mclaren gave him the originals after all?

I'm not sure that those trophies would actually have a high value on the black market - the trophy is only really valuable because of an explicit connection with the team, but at the same time that explicit link would surely make it very difficult to sell the trophies off because it would be obvious to everybody who they belonged to. That is kind of why I suspect that the thieves are working to order in this instance, since the difficulties in selling off the trophies would probably make them almost worthless - in which case, the thieves are probably not actually getting that much money for the job (I'd wager that they are perhaps getting a few hundred pounds each at most).

As an aside, McLaren's approach is quite different to Red Bull's approach - in the case of Red Bull, the trophies were on open display and very exposed to the public (they were mounted in a glass cabinet right next to the front entrance), which i
compromised the security they could put in place. McLaren's approach, IIRC, is much more on an "invitation only" basis, which means that the trophies are locked away in more secure section of McLaren's technical centre, so I would be much more surprised if anything ever happened to those trophies.

Silver is very valuable when melted down. A lot of the trophies were made of silver... so I'm pretty sure that's the last we will see of them.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
Press_Play2002

Post by Press_Play2002 »

All I could hope for now is for the miscreants in question to be ID'd or brought to justice. Really disappointing, it really is. (First post from a very new member but hey, I'm still baffled by the news despite it being a bit old hat now)
tumblr: http://www.tumblr.com/blog/n0tab0x1871 TARTZ: http://truefalse1989.deviantart.com/
"I think Press_Play2002 is on a downward spiral and has lost it completely"
~Mark WebberNot a real quote by the way
Bobby Doorknobs

Press_Play2002 wrote:All I could hope for now is for the miscreants in question to be ID'd or brought to justice. Really disappointing, it really is. (First post from a very new member but hey, I'm still baffled by the news despite it being a bit old hat now)

Welcome to the forum! And I fully agree with your sig!
#FreeGonzo
Bobby Doorknobs

They've been found! (Well, some of them)
#FreeGonzo
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Sounds like they were dumped when the thieves realised they were replicas.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

I was about to say the same as Captain Hammer. I think the replica ones may have been separated from the real ones...
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

Cynon wrote:Silver is very valuable when melted down. A lot of the trophies were made of silver... so I'm pretty sure that's the last we will see of them.

Wouldn't be surprised if the replicas were anything more than silver/gold-plated stainless steel. Which would explain why they got dumped. The originals have probably started a new life as bars of silver and gold by now, because that is the only form that they could be traded in.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-30913638
Includes some footage of the break-in and features a great moment when one of the crims look at a trophy then discards in apparent disgust.

Another Vettel hater ;)
Just For One Day...
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

CoopsII wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-30913638
Includes some footage of the break-in and features a great moment when one of the crims look at a trophy then discards in apparent disgust.

Another Vettel hater ;)

Or is it Webber hater. That looks like Monaco winner's trophy and both have won that kind of trophy (Vettel in 2011, Webber in 2012). In 2010 the trophy looked different when Webber won.
nigellamansell

Post by nigellamansell »

CoopsII wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-30913638

Another Vettel hater ;)

It could have been Webber

"This one's Seb's.......*bounce*"
Keeping away from the white lines...allegedly
Bobby Doorknobs

#FreeGonzo
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Simtek wrote:The perpetrators have been caught: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-beds ... s-34810131

Not just caught, but sentenced and jailed for multiple years each. For once, justice seems to have prevailed.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA