FIA threatening to ban interconnected suspension

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
mario

FIA threatening to ban interconnected suspension

Post by mario »

In a move that does have shades of the 2006 'mass damper' affair, it appears that the FIA has suddenly announced that they consider the front-rear interconnected suspensions (or FRIC for short) that all of the teams are using to be of "questionable legality", indicating that they might move to make such designs illegal ahead of the German GP.
Whiting has indicated that, if any teams run such systems in the German GP, there is a risk that the FIA will report that team to the stewards for a breach of the technical regulations - furthermore, such an announcement seems to be an incitement for teams to report each other for a violation of the technical regulations if they run such a system.

As a number of interested parties have noted, it feels as if the FIA are potentially looking to target the leading team - Mercedes in this instance - as they are the outfit that is thought to have the most advanced interconnected suspension system. However, the FIA has indicated that, given the short timeframe, they are prepared to lift the threat of taking action if the teams unanimously protest the decision.

Now, this is one instance where I half wonder if there could be a reasonable amount of opposition from the teams - FRIC systems are very widespread amongst not only the top teams, but with midfield teams and even some backmarkers (there is an indication that even Marussia have such a system on their car), and a number of teams have been running them for many years (Lotus, the pioneers, introduced their system back in 2008). http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/114881
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: FIA threatening to ban interconnected suspension

Post by Wallio »

mario wrote:In a move that does have shades of the 2006 'mass damper' affair, it appears that the FIA has suddenly announced that they consider the front-rear interconnected suspensions (or FRIC for short) that all of the teams are using to be of "questionable legality", indicating that they might move to make such designs illegal ahead of the German GP.
Whiting has indicated that, if any teams run such systems in the German GP, there is a risk that the FIA will report that team to the stewards for a breach of the technical regulations - furthermore, such an announcement seems to be an incitement for teams to report each other for a violation of the technical regulations if they run such a system.

As a number of interested parties have noted, it feels as if the FIA are potentially looking to target the leading team - Mercedes in this instance - as they are the outfit that is thought to have the most advanced interconnected suspension system. However, the FIA has indicated that, given the short timeframe, they are prepared to lift the threat of taking action if the teams unanimously protest the decision.

Now, this is one instance where I half wonder if there could be a reasonable amount of opposition from the teams - FRIC systems are very widespread amongst not only the top teams, but with midfield teams and even some backmarkers (there is an indication that even Marussia have such a system on their car), and a number of teams have been running them for many years (Lotus, the pioneers, introduced their system back in 2008). http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/114881

This is Canada 1993 all over again. I mean really, they just know "realized" these systems were illegal? Please. Such stupidity. Ban it for next year, or better yet GO HOME FIA!
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

Surely all teams running FRIC would have to completely redesign their suspension to imply with the rules? As Wallio said, there are shades of the whole 1993 mid season active suspension hoohah about it, and I can see the rule being pushed back to 2015 or all teams running FRIC racing under appeal for the remainder of the season.
TORA! TORA! TORA!
IceG

Post by IceG »

Good to see the FIA focussing on cost saving and improving the show.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Of course the brilliant thing in all of this was that the re-introduction of active suspension was seriously being considered as one of the new technical regulations for 2015 to improve that "Show" everyone keeps banging on about! :lol:
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
mario

Post by mario »

Wallio wrote:
mario wrote:In a move that does have shades of the 2006 'mass damper' affair, it appears that the FIA has suddenly announced that they consider the front-rear interconnected suspensions (or FRIC for short) that all of the teams are using to be of "questionable legality", indicating that they might move to make such designs illegal ahead of the German GP.

This is Canada 1993 all over again. I mean really, they just know "realized" these systems were illegal? Please. Such stupidity. Ban it for next year, or better yet GO HOME FIA!

The 2006 'mass damper' affair also has a similar ring to it too, particularly because the exact same section of the regulations is being used to justify banning interconnected systems - the increasingly abused article 3.15 on devices that influence the aerodynamics and are not rigidly fixed to the car. And just like the mass damper affair, many feel that the real reason for banning the device is a crude attempt to liven up the championship battle by artificially pegging back the leading car that has exploited that technology most effectively (Renault in 2006 and now Mercedes in 2014).

IceG wrote:Good to see the FIA focussing on cost saving and improving the show.

Except the FIA is not using the former as a justification and is arguably abusing its position in order to promote the latter. As a device, FRIC's are actually a relatively cheap development - even backmarkers like Marussia can find the resources to run such a system - and since pretty much every team runs a similar system, it is something of a leveller in some ways.
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

mario wrote: it is something of a leveller in some ways.

Certainly in a punny way, Mario! The whole idea of FRICs is the keep the car level!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

I don't see this as anything other than Bernie trying to make the season more competitive by hamstringing the lead car halfway through the season. They shouldn't be able to change specifications for any reason other than immediate safety concerns (like the tyre construction last year).
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

It really is a farce that F1 often goes through this sort of phase, the rules should be there before the season and then enter a Parc Ferme sort of situation where they cannot be changed except for safety reasons. The sport goes on about cutting costs, why then try and force teams to completely rework their chassis in less than a two week turn around? It's pathetic!
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

This is ridiculous. There is no safety issues with FRIC and most teams use it. The FIA will be under a lot of pressure from teams to not ban it.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Fetzie wrote:I don't see this as anything other than Bernie trying to make the season more competitive by hamstringing the lead car halfway through the season. They shouldn't be able to change specifications for any reason other than immediate safety concerns (like the tyre construction last year).

I agree although from memory the FIA are often able to define 'safety concerns' however they wish to suit their intentions.
Just For One Day...
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

„We need to lower the costs”
- forces teams to redesign, effectively raising the costs

If they announce changes, do it a season ahead or something. We're by the halfway point of 2014, where the new cars are already being sketched...

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

I'm starting to become less and less interested in Formula 1. The organisers are race-fixing now? How can a sport go on when it has no integrity left? Having watched Serie A for 20 odd years, I'm more than used to a fair share of corruption, but at least the Italians attempt to hide it.

I am very quickly losing faith in the FIA. Conspiracy theories about Todt deliberately tanking F1 to elevate WEC are starting to look more realistic as each day passes...
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Biscione wrote:I'm starting to become less and less interested in Formula 1. The organisers are race-fixing now? How can a sport go on when it has no integrity left?

Indeed. But if we look back at history, one can see that in many of the seasons that saw a team or a group of teams without much leverage with FIA dominate, something that gave them the advantage became banned. From my mind I can remember Williams active suspension, Michelin tyres construction which hurt Michelin teams, Renault's mass dampers, Brawn's double diffuser (which didn't came to pass mid season) and last year's tyre construction for which I am still to be convinced that the safety issues weren't somehow exagerated.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

Shizuka wrote:„We need to lower the costs”
- forces teams to redesign, effectively raising the costs

The FRIC ban has nothing to do with costs. ;)
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

But what if teams have been planning to implement it for 2015? We will never know.
So if some teams was designing the first plans for their latest car to use it, they are pretty much screwed.

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

This is the first time I actually hear about such a system, having not followed F1 closely since Peter Sauber retired.

So how does that FRICkin' thing work after all? ;-)
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Biscione wrote:I'm starting to become less and less interested in Formula 1. The organisers are race-fixing now? How can a sport go on when it has no integrity left? Having watched Serie A for 20 odd years, I'm more than used to a fair share of corruption, but at least the Italians attempt to hide it.

I am very quickly losing faith in the FIA. Conspiracy theories about Todt deliberately tanking F1 to elevate WEC are starting to look more realistic as each day passes...

Just food for thought -- but then-NASCAR chairman Bill France Jr. was a big help to Tony George forming the IRL, which helped NASCAR rise to prominence in North America.

There's a lot more manufacturer involvement in WEC than there is in F1, and it costs a hell of a lot less to compete in WEC. Not to mention that the future of single-seater racing lies with Formula E. Kind of a no-brainer for Todt if you ask me.

Despite what I just said, I'd rather watch paint peel than the damn WEC. :x
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
mario

Post by mario »

dr-baker wrote:
mario wrote: it is something of a leveller in some ways.

Certainly in a punny way, Mario! The whole idea of FRICs is the keep the car level!

I'll admit that I didn't intend to make that joke...

Shizuka wrote:But what if teams have been planning to implement it for 2015? We will never know.
So if some teams was designing the first plans for their latest car to use it, they are pretty much screwed.

According to Craig Scarborough, all of the team have already developed interconnected systems.

Force India removed their system from the car after the Monaco GP because they found it difficult to fine tune the performance, which I believe means they are the only team not currently using their system on their car. However, the indication is that they wanted to fit the system back onto the car later this season.

Yannick wrote:This is the first time I actually hear about such a system, having not followed F1 closely since Peter Sauber retired.

So how does that FRICkin' thing work after all? ;-)

Basically, the idea is that there is a hydraulic connection between the suspension units at the front and the rear of the car. The idea is that when the front suspension system is loaded (say, for example, due to forward weight transfer under braking), the hydraulic connection means that the load is also transmitted to the rear suspension - the idea is to minimise the pitch and roll of the car with an entirely passive system.

As a concept, it is actually very old - the original Citroen 2CV had an early interconnected system back in 1948 - and the idea has already cropped up in F1 before: Tyrrell tried to apply that concept to the 023, where it was dubbed "Hydrolink", but in that case they eventually abandoned it because of difficulties in fine tuning the response of the system.

On a similar note, Marca is reportedly claiming that the FIA is thinking of other measures which appear to be squarely aimed at Mercedes. They are claiming that the FIA intends to sharply restrict the rate at which the energy recovery systems can harvest and transfer energy between themselves and the battery systems, as it is strongly suspected that the superiority of the Mercedes powertrain is mainly due to a superior energy recovery system (particularly the thermal energy recovery system they use).
Row Man Gross-Gene

Post by Row Man Gross-Gene »

mario wrote:On a similar note, Marca is reportedly claiming that the FIA is thinking of other measures which appear to be squarely aimed at Mercedes. They are claiming that the FIA intends to sharply restrict the rate at which the energy recovery systems can harvest and transfer energy between themselves and the battery systems, as it is strongly suspected that the superiority of the Mercedes powertrain is mainly due to a superior energy recovery system (particularly the thermal energy recovery system they use).

If this really happens, the sporting aspect of F1 would be in serious doubt. Changing the rules mid-season for any reason other than safety... I just don't know what to say.
It's just unbelievable...that Formula 1 could be such a ridiculous melange of idiots.

-Jamie McGregor

Check out my colo(u)ring pages website: http://sites.google.com/site/carcoloringpages/
takagi_for_the_win

Why not go the whole hog and ban winners? You win more than 4 races in a season and it's the naughty step for you.
TORA! TORA! TORA!
nome66

Post by nome66 »

having no prior knowledge to this system, FRIC looks, sounds, behaves, and smells like active suspension.
wasn't that banned in '93?
I believe in German BARawnda-Tyrrell-Simca(and it's working)

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
mario

Post by mario »

nome66 wrote:having no prior knowledge to this system, FRIC looks, sounds, behaves, and smells like active suspension.
wasn't that banned in '93?

FRIC's are passive systems as the suspension itself has to be excited by a bump or by some other form of weight transfer for the system to work, whereas an active system would be using an onboard power source to apply a force to the suspension unit (for example, with a hydraulic pump).
Collieafc

Post by Collieafc »

takagi_for_the_win wrote:Why not go the whole hog and ban winners? You win more than 4 races in a season and it's the naughty step for you.

2nd is the new 1st - What would Ronspeak think about that?
DanielPT wrote:Life usually expires after 400 meters and always before reaching 2 laps or so. In essence, Life is short.
IceG

Post by IceG »

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns28453.html

Shame, I really liked watching the way the Mercedes handled the Silverstone curves. You could see the body roll but it was controlled and added a new dynamic.
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

FRIC is safe. Van Der Garde was testing without it when he flew off the track into a heavy hit into the wall at copse.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
takagi_for_the_win

Given how quickly and quietly Mercedes have removed it, it makes me wonder whether or not it is such an integral part of their dominance...
TORA! TORA! TORA!
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

takagi_for_the_win wrote:Given how quickly and quietly Mercedes have removed it, it makes me wonder whether or not it is such an integral part of their dominance...

If anything I think it'll make them more dominant -- it's not like they have the best engine or anything, requiring that the competition use other means (suspension?) to catch up...
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
tzerof1

Post by tzerof1 »

The Ghost of James Hunt wrote:And all I can say to that, is bullshit.

But in all seriousness, it's taken Charlie this long to decide that it MIGHT be illegal? He really needs to relinquish the role of head of the F1 Technical Department in favour of someone who can make up their bloody mind about what contravenes the technical regulations sooner than midway through a season. And if it is a matter of him being pressurised by the FIA in order to change the course of the championship, he really needs to step aside, because it's unethical for him to cave in to such pressure, and dishonours the title and responsibilities which have been bestowed upon him.

It's one thing to take a look at it if a team or several teams ask for clarification, or protest outright(Ferrari's floor at 07' Aus. GP, double deck diffusers in 09') but when none of the teams have said a thing (taking into account that they mostly or all are running the contraption in dispute) and there are no legitimate questions over it's impact on safety, it really serves no useful purpose to pursue such a course of action mid season. That'd be like the FIA saying that at this point of the 88' season, let's ban turbo engines earlier than we planned, because McLaren are running away with the championship. It's absurd.

If it looks like shite and smells like shite...it is shite.
"If you don't like it, overtake or f**k off!"- Niki Lauda responding to complaints of his Brabham BT46 'fan car" throwing debris in drivers' faces.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

What a load of nonsense.

When they are talking of bringing active suspension back (what do they think will happen? that teams will only develop the bare minimum and leave it there?) and introducing 18" wheels only to force teams to spend a lot of money adjusting the car to it, this talk about a FRIC ban being a cost saving measure for the future is the most idiotic thing I have seen written in a while. It is so disappointing to see an article like this one (which clearly defends the decision and FIA) in a such revered F1 news page.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
mario

Post by mario »

tzerof1 wrote:
The Ghost of James Hunt wrote:And all I can say to that, is bullshit.

But in all seriousness, it's taken Charlie this long to decide that it MIGHT be illegal? He really needs to relinquish the role of head of the F1 Technical Department in favour of someone who can make up their bloody mind about what contravenes the technical regulations sooner than midway through a season. And if it is a matter of him being pressurised by the FIA in order to change the course of the championship, he really needs to step aside, because it's unethical for him to cave in to such pressure, and dishonours the title and responsibilities which have been bestowed upon him.

It's one thing to take a look at it if a team or several teams ask for clarification, or protest outright(Ferrari's floor at 07' Aus. GP, double deck diffusers in 09') but when none of the teams have said a thing (taking into account that they mostly or all are running the contraption in dispute) and there are no legitimate questions over it's impact on safety, it really serves no useful purpose to pursue such a course of action mid season. That'd be like the FIA saying that at this point of the 88' season, let's ban turbo engines earlier than we planned, because McLaren are running away with the championship. It's absurd.

If it looks like shite and smells like shite...it is shite.

A few more details are coming out that suggest that the FIA's announcement might have been in the offing for a bit longer than first thought - the first talks on the FRIC systems currently in use seem to have begun back in May during the Monaco GP, with the FIA having spent much of the intervening period then pressing the Technical Directors of the teams for further details.
Still, I agree that it seems odd that the FIA should choose this instance in time to ban the system - the FIA seems to have originally planned on banning the system before the 2015 season, which would have meant the system would have remained legal for the rest of this season...

On a related note, it seems that seven teams have publicly agreed that they would not launch a formal protest if another team were to run the system - only Caterham, Toro Rosso, Force India and Sauber have not yet agreed to that proposal (and out of those teams, Force India is known to have had issues with their system and to already run without FRIC, so they are probably the ones with the most to gain from the ban). http://www.f1technical.net/news/19482
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

mario wrote:On a similar note, Marca is reportedly claiming that the FIA is thinking of other measures which appear to be squarely aimed at Mercedes.

Whole Spanish Press, we're waiting for you!
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
HawkAussie

Post by HawkAussie »

This is starting to get ridiculous
Officially Retired
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.