Your Reject of the Race - Britain

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Londoner

Your Reject of the Race - Britain

Post by Londoner »

With the news that Di Resta's car was found to be underweight in scruitineering, Force India are now the frontrunners for the award, as that is a massive opportunity for a podium all but lost.

Ferrari have been off the pace all day, and were especially lucky to get Alonso into Q3. A poor result here, and I fear that'll be the end of Alonso's championship bid.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Re: Your Reject of the Race - Britain

Post by go_Rubens »

Alonso has seasons like 2012, where he drives an inferior car to the top. However he can't keep that up this year with a car seeming to get worse. Therefore, my early nomination is Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro. For being crap.

Force India seems like a viable nomination, but if they do well on race day, as di Resta has shown he can do from the back of the grid, and Sutil in what seems to be 6th, then Force India only set up an IIDOTR, not a ROTR.

I will also go out and say that the luck of the Brits (excluding Hamilton) needs to be mentioned.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Ferrari for an off-the-pace weekend so far. Alonso was slowest in Q3 and I blame the poor pace and the effects of the Monaco crashes for Massa getting eliminated in Q2.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Ferrari seems like the logical choice like now, I'd think.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Remember, Alonso was around 9th (or so) in Canada, and clawed his way back to second in the race. Don't give up on Ferrari yet. However, it still baffles me how Force India managed to put Sutil's car legal but di Resta's underweight. Hmm...
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Paul Di Resta home race curse: qualify dream to post-qualify nightmare.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

JeremyMcClean wrote:Remember, Alonso was around 9th (or so) in Canada, and clawed his way back to second in the race. Don't give up on Ferrari yet. However, it still baffles me how Force India managed to put Sutil's car legal but di Resta's underweight. Hmm...

That's the last time Di Resta takes dietary tips from Victoria Beckham...
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
mario

Post by mario »

Ataxia wrote:
JeremyMcClean wrote:Remember, Alonso was around 9th (or so) in Canada, and clawed his way back to second in the race. Don't give up on Ferrari yet. However, it still baffles me how Force India managed to put Sutil's car legal but di Resta's underweight. Hmm...

You're closer to what is claimed to be the reason why he was disqualified, which was the suggestion going round at the moment that di Resta was found to be lighter than expected. I still fail to see how a normal, healthy individual could lose 1.5kg over one or two days, despite having been weighed by the team and found to be no lighter than normal beforehand, so you have to wonder whether the stewards have either made a mistake or used defective equipment.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

mario wrote:
Ataxia wrote:

You're closer to what is claimed to be the reason why he was disqualified, which was the suggestion going round at the moment that di Resta was found to be lighter than expected. I still fail to see how a normal, healthy individual could lose 1.5kg over one or two days, despite having been weighed by the team and found to be no lighter than normal beforehand, so you have to wonder whether the stewards have either made a mistake or used defective equipment.

Usually, wouldn't you need to have d&v, or the 'flu or something to loose that much weight? (Or give birth to a baby if you are female)
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Svenko Wankerov

Post by Svenko Wankerov »

Dj_bereta wrote:Paul Di Resta home race curse: qualify dream to post-qualify nightmare.

It's more karma than curse when it keeps happening to someone that fully deserves it...
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

dr-baker wrote:
mario wrote:
Ataxia wrote:That's the last time Di Resta takes dietary tips from Victoria Beckham...

Usually, wouldn't you need to have d&v, or the 'flu or something to loose that much weight? (Or give birth to a baby if you are female)

Or he drank his Buckfast, and threw away the bottle it came in?

Svenko Wankerov wrote:
Dj_bereta wrote:Paul Di Resta home race curse: qualify dream to post-qualify nightmare.

It's more karma than curse when it keeps happening to someone that fully deserves it...

I don't think he deserves it. He's driven very well this season.

I'm not a fan of Di Resta, but I don't understand why he's such a hate-magnet around here. Maybe he makes the odd whingy or egotistical comment, but doesn't every sportsman?
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

Ataxia wrote:
Svenko Wankerov wrote:

I don't think he deserves it. He's driven very well this season.

I'm not a fan of Di Resta, but I don't understand why he's such a hate-magnet around here. Maybe he makes the odd whingy or egotistical comment, but doesn't every sportsman?

Yeah, speaking of a fan of di Resta, it is quite wearing to read some of the comments about him on this forum, and for some reason, there are has been plenty more di Resta narkiness recently than before. I am always game for a debate, so long as its reasonable and balanced, but some of the stuff I've seen here recently (some of the stuff about Red Bull as well) is verging on one-eyed fanboyism, which I have no time for. Suffice to say, its slowly turning me off this forum
TORA! TORA! TORA!
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Svenko Wankerov wrote:

Why is Paul di Resta such a freakin' hate magnet here? It makes no sense. How does he "fully deserve" it, may I ask? He has driven very well this year, and has done nothing that makes him deserve to be such a hate magnet this year. Nothing notable, anyway. I don't like him a lot either, I think he is overrated, but he lives up to his hype. I've also found some of your opinions fairly pointed and they have no explanation. So can you please explain why? It may clear a few things up here...

takagi_for_the_win wrote:Yeah, speaking of a fan of di Resta, it is quite wearing to read some of the comments about him on this forum, and for some reason, there are has been plenty more di Resta narkiness recently than before. I am always game for a debate, so long as its reasonable and balanced, but some of the stuff I've seen here recently (some of the stuff about Red Bull as well) is verging on one-eyed fanboyism, which I have no time for. Suffice to say, its slowly turning me off this forum

This. +1
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Svenko Wankerov wrote:

di Resta is a douchebag, but I don't see how that makes him deserving of this...
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:
Svenko Wankerov wrote:

di Resta is a douchebag, but I don't see how that makes him deserving of this...

I think the same thing.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

Ataxia wrote:Or he drank his Buckfast, and threw away the bottle it came in?

And he drank all the Sunny D as well like the Glaswegian Rhapsody says.
More Moneytron, more problems for Onyx!
A flock of Kroghs appear on the NASCAR Track and cause caw-tions!
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Onxy Wrecked wrote:
Ataxia wrote:Or he drank his Buckfast, and threw away the bottle it came in?

And he drank all the Sunny D as well like the Glaswegian Rhapsody says.

And he'll cap it off with drinking milk before the race ;)
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Di Resta-hate or not, he could very well provide some entertainment catching up from the back of the pack. A possible top 10 result is still on the cards for him, seeing that Force India could be the 4th best car right now behind Red Bull, Mercedes and Lotus (I believe their race pace will be better). Alonso could pull off a charge to 5th, but no higher if Mercedes' tire wear isn't that bad on Silverstone.

However, given Ferrari's qualifying performance - and onboard laps -, they will be happy to scrap around 10 points total, and this pace, coming from a frontrunner team, is quite rejectful. Taking their one-lap speed into account, both Ferraris should have been in the top 10, but Massa seems to be broken mentally again after all these accidents he had. He is almost certainly on his way out.

McLaren suffers from the 2009 syndrome. No matter what the team throws onto the car, it doesn't respond. Toro Rosso is ahead of them. Force India is ahead of them. If their race result will be outside the points again, they could snap up the RotR. If Red Bull wants to play a trick on them, they should give more support to the sister team to cut the disadvantage in the points to the Woking squad - given their recent performance, Toro Rosso is very well capable of finishing ahead of McLaren in the WCC.

The race will probably throw up a different RotR, but after qualifying, Ferrari and McLaren are aspiring for it.

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
Svenko Wankerov

Di Resta publicly rips his team for what was essentially bad luck, when he is lucky to have a good car to begin with. He has done absolutely nothing to suggest that he does better than any average F1 driver would do in his car. His attitude of entitlement makes him completely deserving of anything bad coming his way.

Sutil has had even worse luck and you don't see him going off about how awful FI is to the press.
the Masked Lapwing

Post by the Masked Lapwing »

Channel 7 - What was it that made F1 make their evening news? Was it Webber's retirement? Ricciardo's qualifying effort? Nope.

It was a crash in GP3. They showed a replay of it and then said "Australia's Mark Webber and Daniel Ricciardo have qualified 5th and 6th respectively."
R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
Svenko Wankerov

Pirelli has this one locked up.
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Pirelli so far.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
Ed24

Post by Ed24 »

PIRELLI
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
-Abraham Lincoln
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

I won't make my official top three until after the race, but Pirelli have seemed to lock this one up. This is unacceptable.
Last edited by go_Rubens on 01 Jul 2013, 14:07, edited 1 time in total.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

the Masked Lapwing

R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

Pirelli by a mile this time. what a disgrace
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
pablo_h

Post by pablo_h »

Yeah, the pirelli tyres.
What a shocker!
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

Pirelli have it in the bag, but the FIA deserve an honourable mention - they wanted high wear tires, this is a side effect of that decision.
mario

Post by mario »

Enforcer wrote:Pirelli have it in the bag, but the FIA deserve an honourable mention - they wanted high wear tires, this is a side effect of that decision.

I think that this is going to be a foregone conclusion after the race - that said, I'd blame FOM rather than the FIA given that the latter seems keen to have Pirelli replaced with Michelin (who have stated that they would prefer to make more, rather than less, durable tyres).
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
tristan1117
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tristan1117 »

Well, we won't have to wait until Enoch gets back to find out ROTR for this one.
CoopsII wrote:On occasion I have ventured into the PMM forum but beat a hasty retreat soon after as it resembles some sort of bad acid trip in there
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

tristan1117 wrote:Well, we won't have to wait until Enoch gets back to find out ROTR for this one.

Well, Pirelli hands down deserve this. Even the chump strategists at FI and guys in their garage are nowhere near Pirelli. Or Ferrari, for that matter.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Pirelli by a country mile.

REJECT OF THE RACE
Pirelli
5 failures in one weekend

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

good_Ralf wrote:Pirelli by a country mile.

REJECT OF THE RACE
Pirelli

Just like Hungary '03 when Cosworth had 5 failures in a weekend for their engines.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

the Masked Lapwing

Pirelli. Poorly built tyres, plus hopeless degradation ruining it for Sutil and Ricciardo.
R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Pirelli. What in the bathplug was that?

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Shizuka wrote:Pirelli. What in the bathplug was that?

Exactly.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

go_Rubens wrote:

REJECT OF THE RACE
Pirelli

Just like Hungary '03 when Cosworth had 5 failures in a weekend for their engines.

I was just going to say that, actually. But this was way more dangerous. Pirelli aren't going to be in F1 for much longer.

AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

*walks into thread*
Pirelli
*walks out of thread*
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
GwilymJJames

Post by GwilymJJames »

Tricky one. I didn't like Lotus using team orders and being so flippant about it... no it's Pirelli, it's only going to be Pirelli.
WARNING: Vettel fan.

Shut up Eccles!
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

good_Ralf wrote:
go_Rubens wrote:

REJECT OF THE RACE
Pirelli

I was just going to say that, actually. But this was way more dangerous. Pirelli aren't going to be in F1 for much longer.

I don't think so. Bring back Michelin!
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool