The Blame Game

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Gerudo Dragon

The Blame Game

Post by Gerudo Dragon »

The person above you posts a video of a motorsport crash where atleast 2 cars are involved, you decide who's fault it was or if it was no one's fault at all. Then you post another crash and you get the idea.

I'll start obviously
Trump 2016
Onxy Wrecked

Re: The Blame Game

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

Winkelhock is at fault. Being in the middle of two cars has also proven to be dangerous in NASCAR many times so I will find one. I will show the hazards of being in between a rock and a hard place.

A 1990s crash involving Steve Grissom, Jimmy Spencer, Mike Skinner, Kenny Wallace, and Mike Wallace (Mike Wallace ignited the fire with his exhaust). It's easy to pick which of the drivers isn't at fault (Kenny and the two Mikes). But who if anyone is at fault.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia2D-irpIIs
More Moneytron, more problems for Onyx!
A flock of Kroghs appear on the NASCAR Track and cause caw-tions!
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Onxy Wrecked wrote:Winkelhock is at fault. Being in the middle of two cars has also proven to be dangerous in NASCAR many times so I will find one. I will show the hazards of being in between a rock and a hard place.

I actually would have argued that Menu was leaning too heavily on Winkelhock and with Hoy closing in from the other side, it was only a matter of time before one of the Renaults hit Winkelhock. Although, the crash Paul Radisich had at the same time was CLEARLY his fault :lol:
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Wizzie wrote:
Onxy Wrecked wrote:Winkelhock is at fault. Being in the middle of two cars has also proven to be dangerous in NASCAR many times so I will find one. I will show the hazards of being in between a rock and a hard place.

I actually would have argued that Menu was leaning too heavily on Winkelhock and with Hoy closing in from the other side, it was only a matter of time before one of the Renaults hit Winkelhock. Although, the crash Paul Radisich had at the same time was CLEARLY his fault :lol:

Yeah, I don't think Winkelhock had much of a choice. There was plenty of room for the 3 of them, but Menu was just way too aggressive with Winkelhock there.

A 1990s crash involving Steve Grissom, Jimmy Spencer, Mike Skinner, Kenny Wallace, and Mike Wallace (Mike Wallace ignited the fire with his exhaust). It's easy to pick which of the drivers isn't at fault (Kenny and the two Mikes). But who if anyone is at fault.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia2D-irpIIs

I don't think it's any of them, it's whoever was in the red car behind Jimmy Spencer before he started spinning. The way that Spencer started spinning, I think he had to have had help from behind. It's hard to be sure though, the camera zooms in right as Spencer starts losing it, but I'm pretty sure he had help. Grissom really didn't have anywhere to go, he was already lower on the track, so instinctively he'dve tried to dodge low. It was just really bad luck for him that Skinner was in exactly the wrong place at the wrong time.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

I'm just going to leave this and this here. ;)
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

AndreaModa wrote:I'm just going to leave this and this here. ;)

`The first time around, I don't think we'll ever know who's fault it really was. It all depends on whether Prost saw Senna on the inside or not.

If Prost did see Senna, the accident was Prost's fault because he didn't leave enough room for Senna, and ruthlessly closed the door. On the other hand, if Prost didn't see Senna, it places an entriely idifferent spin on the whole incident. The accident now become Senna's fault - it really was a kamikaze move, and Senna didn't show any sign of backing out when he realised things were going a bit iffy.

However, you could argue that Senna was the cause in both spins on the 89' clash, because of the sheer kamikaze and last-ditch nature of the lunge. But, I don't buy that Prost didn't see him coming - Schumacher managed to see Villeneuve at Jerez 97 when he came from an even further distance back...

The second incident is clearly Senna's fault, he even admitted that he didn't brake and intended to take Prost out.
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

pasta_maldonado wrote:However, you could argue that Senna was the cause in both spins on the 89' clash, because of the sheer kamikaze and last-ditch nature of the lunge. But, I don't buy that Prost didn't see him coming - Schumacher managed to see Villeneuve at Jerez 97 when he came from an even further distance back...

I tend to agree with Nigel Roebuck opinions on the matter, which are as follows;

First, in the 1989 race Prost indeed took an earlier line into the chicane – he was leading the race and quite entitled to protect his position as far as I’m concerned. You say that, if Senna were not there, Prost would not have been able to make it cleanly through the chicane, and that’s true insofar as he would not have been on the ideal line. He would, though, have been able to make it through – albeit with a slower exit speed than normal.

I was on the spot when the coming-together occurred and it seemed to me – and colleagues standing with me – that Ayrton was literally trying to bundle Alain out of the way. Given the line he was on, and how late he braked, there’s no way – had Prost not been there – he could have got through the chicane. Once Alain had hopped out of his car, I walked back down to the pits with him, and the first thing he said was, “I couldn’t believe he tried it on that lap – he was so far back. On some previous laps he’d been a lot closer…”

As a interesting sidenote to the bit I've highlighted in bold. On one of the extras on the Senna DVD's there is an extended interview with Prost about the incident at suzuka 1989. In it Prost says that people probably won't believe this, but he was toying with Senna immediately proceeding the crash. Because he wanted Senna to use up his tyres. Prost's plan was then in the last few laps to simply drive away from Senna & win the championship in style. I've said it many times here before, I just find Prost's intellegent mind blowing. Also prior to the suzuka 1989 race, IMO prost did give Senna fair warning that he wasn't prepared to leave the door open for senna anymore. It was Senna's mistake that he didn't take that warning seriously enough IMO.

As for the ’90 race, when Prost’s Ferrari was punched off the road at the first corner by Senna’s McLaren, it’s undeniable that Alain did jink left for a split-second, so as to give himself the best line into the corner. That hardly, though, constituted ‘a gap’, as Ayrton disingenuously claimed, and a year on, of course, he publicly admitted that he had simply taken Prost out – like most people, I thought that had been obvious from the start.

What said everything about that accident was the attitude of the McLaren personnel afterwards. Senna and Ron Dennis may have been celebrating this new World Championship, but some of their colleagues were, at best, embarrassed. When we got to Adelaide Senna did his famous angry interview with Jackie Stewart, and later that day one of the McLaren engineers whispered to me that the telemetry showed that Ayrton had never lifted for the corner at all – he simply took aim…

Source; http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/ask_n ... revisited/
Coming January 2019 a new F1 book revisiting 1994.

Pre order it here; www.performancepublishing.co.uk/1994-th ... eason.html

The book's website; www.1994f1.com/
midgrid

Post by midgrid »

"One day Bruno told me that he had heard the engine momentarily making a strange sound; his suspicion was that all the cylinders had been operating."
--Nigel Roebuck
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:
midgrid wrote:What about this one?

Coulthard turned into him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQ_6LUakao8

Irvine. Coulthard may have ducked around the outside, but immediately after T1 his car was ahead, and Irvine got back alongside in the middle of the corner and then turned in on him when Coulthard was already on the kerb. Irvine was the one lunging rather than DC, so totally Irvine's fault.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1o4EkgMc-I
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
nome66

Post by nome66 »

Trulli made the move in a ditch effort pass and lost the rear out from under him and spun into Sutil.
sooo... Trulli

this is a fun one. Our man the Indy/CART winner hailed for passionate driving, Turned F1 racer, turned NASCAR driver, turned Grand-Am part-timer... in a wreck at Indy. guess he couldn't get back into the clockwise groove like he used to... or could he?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foChFtE653Y
they show footage of it at 1:20
I believe in German BARawnda-Tyrrell-Simca(and it's working)

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Stramala [kostas22] wrote:
midgrid wrote:What about this one?

Coulthard turned into him.

Irvine. Coulthard may have ducked around the outside, but immediately after T1 his car was ahead, and Irvine got back alongside in the middle of the corner and then turned in on him when Coulthard was already on the kerb. Irvine was the one lunging rather than DC, so totally Irvine's fault.

Both crashes involved Coulthard, and I can't tell if you're disagreeing with me thinking I was commenting on the video below said comment instead of above, or if you were commenting on the video I put.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Stramala [kostas22] wrote:
UgncreativeUsergname wrote:Coulthard turned into him.

Both crashes involved Coulthard, and I can't tell if you're disagreeing with me thinking I was commenting on the video below said comment instead of above, or if you were commenting on the video I put.

Only one of those involved Eddie Irvine, though. ;)
Everything's great.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

nome66 wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foChFtE653Y

Tricky one indeed. On the one hand, Baron probably could have given Juan a bit more room at turn 2 and not chop him like he did, but at the same time, Juan may have been better served to back off by that point so I'd say that they're both at fault there. The fact that Baron went on like an absolute pork chop afterwards just made it absolute gold :lol:

Here's one from the V8 non-championship round at Albert Park a few years back. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82vgJLb5bRg
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
the Masked Lapwing

Post by the Masked Lapwing »

Wizzie wrote:Here's one from the V8 non-championship round at Albert Park a few years back. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82vgJLb5bRg

Kelly, every day of the week. Once Lowndes went down the inside he should have yielded. And then it was Junior's own fault he hit Lowndes' car, and Luff and Courtney got caught up when everyone got backed up.

Sticking with V8s, one of the most famous moments of recent history.
R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

nome66 wrote:Trulli made the move in a ditch effort pass and lost the rear out from under him and spun into Sutil.
sooo... Trulli

this is a fun one. Our man the Indy/CART winner hailed for passionate driving, Turned F1 racer, turned NASCAR driver, turned Grand-Am part-timer... in a wreck at Indy. guess he couldn't get back into the clockwise groove like he used to... or could he?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foChFtE653Y

Montoya has done this twice to Clint Bowyer in one year so he (Montoya) has a history of cutting off drivers. Every time a driver is wrecked and Montoya is on the low line; it's almost always Montoya's fault unless other driver blames himself.
Gerudo Dragon

Post by Gerudo Dragon »

the Masked Lapwing wrote:Sticking with V8s, one of the most famous moments of recent history.
Seems to be Murphy's fault, looks like just didn't brake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_36379rdddY#t=112s
Trump 2016
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

It's the dying car that ends with no damage. That would be Muller. Being a rolling chicane isn't good and having a car that is blocking at least four cars.

Probably the biggest wreck of them all. And several NASCAR champions and NASCAR Top 50 drivers of all time in various levels in the form of Geoffrey Bodine, Matt Kenseth, Randy Lajoie, Mark Martin, and Jeff Green.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcEvTcrI2Sg
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

Onxy Wrecked wrote:It's the dying car that ends with no damage. That would be Muller. Being a rolling chicane isn't good and having a car that is blocking at least four cars.

Probably the biggest wreck of them all. And several NASCAR champions and NASCAR Top 50 drivers of all time in various levels in the form of Geoffrey Bodine, Matt Kenseth, Randy Lajoie, Mark Martin, and Jeff Green.

Only one person can be blamed. Whoever was in 3rd and tapped the leader. The car that started to spin couldn't really do anything after he got the tap.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

AdrianSutil wrote:
Onxy Wrecked wrote:It's the dying car that ends with no damage. That would be Muller. Being a rolling chicane isn't good and having a car that is blocking at least four cars.

Only one person can be blamed. Whoever was in 3rd and tapped the leader. The car that started to spin couldn't really do anything after he got the tap.

That would Geoffrey Bodine in the 64. He actually was running about 8th or 9th but was 3rd in the picture.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

I think it's worth digging up this thread to post this pileup from the 2006 Clipsal 500
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Wizzie wrote:I think it's worth digging up this thread to post this pileup from the 2006 Clipsal 500

That motoring insurance advert certainly popped up at the right moment :lol:
Just For One Day...
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Wizzie wrote:I think it's worth digging up this thread to post this pileup from the 2006 Clipsal 500

I think most of the blame for that goes to Jason Richards. It was a risky place to try and overtake, and he wasn't fully alongside at the point of contact. I'm not sure about the state of the track there, if there was a lot of marbles, but either way I doubt Frosty could've given much more room without severely compromising his pace on the run up to the next corner, which could've caused an accident anyway. Fernandez had absolutely nowhere to go.
Everything's great.
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

I disagree personally, Fernandez was way off the pace and should have gotten out the way instead trying to defend.

To be honest I forgot Fernandez even existed until then :?
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

eurobrun wrote:I disagree personally, Fernandez was way off the pace and should have gotten out the way instead trying to defend.

To be honest I forgot Fernandez even existed until then :?

To me, it looked more like Fernandez was trying to pass the slowing Frosty rather than try and defend from Richards.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

eurobrun wrote:I disagree personally, Fernandez was way off the pace and should have gotten out the way instead trying to defend.

And where would he have gone? It was either take the line he did or go straight into Frosty. I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but that was a battle for position, was it not? Why should Fernandez have to bail out just because Richards tried an overly ambitious overtake at an awkward time?
Everything's great.
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

Fernandez was a backmarker for his whole V8 career, I am not 100% sure bit I think he was being lapped.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

eurobrun wrote:Fernandez was a backmarker for his whole V8 career, I am not 100% sure bit I think he was being lapped.

Yeah, Fernandez was being lapped at the time, as was the HRT car directly in front of them. There was a lot of lapped traffic mixed up in all that on the restart. However, I don't know whether Fernandez and the HRT would have been racing Frosty or lapping him.
the Masked Lapwing

Post by the Masked Lapwing »

eurobrun wrote:Fernandez was a backmarker for his whole V8 career, I am not 100% sure bit I think he was being lapped.

If I recall correctly JR was fighting back through to field after starting near the rear of the grid having been ridiculously quick all weekend. If Fernandez was being lapped, he would have stayed behind Frosty. I reckon Richards was at fault though, turn 3 is a bad place to make a pass at the best of times. I would be willing to bet that Jose would never have seen him coming, knowing how big the blind spot is in those cars.

Although now that I look at the results, Fernandez was excluded, so it seems the stewards thought he was to blame :lol:
R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:

And where would he have gone? It was either take the line he did or go straight into Frosty. I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but that was a battle for position, was it not? Why should Fernandez have to bail out just because Richards tried an overly ambitious overtake at an awkward time?

Exactly! Nowhere to go and it might as well just be a racing incident. Wizzie said Fernandez was a backmarker and wasn't racing for position, but he had nowhere to go.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

I can't really judge anything for that, given I spent all four and a bit minutes absolutely wetting myself :lol:
TORA! TORA! TORA!
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

They were both at fault. Plato was being his usual way-too-aggressive self, and Neal was all too happy to play into his hands.
Everything's great.
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

I'd like to say Plato was going too slow in an unsportsman like manner. Neal kept on hitting Plato. I'd say that's mostly Plato given the fact Plato was already the pole sitter so why is he going so slow?
midgrid

Post by midgrid »

"One day Bruno told me that he had heard the engine momentarily making a strange sound; his suspicion was that all the cylinders had been operating."
--Nigel Roebuck
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

For Reid-Neal, I think it's a racing incident. Neal was in Reid's blindspot.

As for Reid-Thompson, 100% Reid's fault.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
nome66

Post by nome66 »

I believe in German BARawnda-Tyrrell-Simca(and it's working)

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

I would say Piquet Jr. stuck his nose where he shouldn't have.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Glad to see that Piquet bad blood is still alive and kicking! :lol:
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.