Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - 2012 Singapore

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Shizuka

Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - 2012 Singapore

Post by Shizuka »

based on the assumption that, at any moment in time, there is a non-zero probability that even the slowest, most inexperienced and least reliable of underdogs might win the race. That under every rock, there might be a gold nugget. This is the award for that first podium that we all celebrate, for the overtake no-one was expecting, for Charles Pic's first win. This is the award, in short, for the driver or team that makes you go "Woah! Where did THAT come from?!".

Just remember: this is a feel-good award, that will focus on nothing but track action.
Usual rules: everyone gets two votes. First vote is worth 10 points, the second 6.

Results to be done: September 29th, Saturday

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
sswishbone

Re: Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - 2012 Singapor

Post by sswishbone »

1) Felipe Massa - Unbelievable recovery from terrible first lap to score points and get possibly the greatest overtake of the season.

2) Marussia - 12th and 13th to overhaul Caterham!
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

1. Di Resta - Finally escaped reject status
2. Glock - This was Marussia's/Glock's race

Very honourable mention to Massa. Any other weekend would have saw him on this list.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

1 - Marussia
2 - di Resta

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
tkcom

Post by tkcom »

Glock - P12! Top half performance!
Massa - Superb recovery drive.
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

1-Timo Glock: Bought a Marussia cap after FP1.Not regretting it.

2-Felipe Massa: The pre-2009 Massa has returned.
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

1. Marussia - Glock finally decided that he could be bothered and now they're ahead of Caterham as a result
2. Paul Di Resta - It's about time he unrejectified himself

Honourable mention to Felipe Massa for a fine recovery drive after the L1 puncture.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

1. Di Resta
2. Glock
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

1. Paul di Resta: Unrejectified with a fine 4th place.

2. Felipe Massa: Great drive after being in last at one point. This may be the drive that saves his Ferrari seat.

Honorable Mention to Nico Rosberg as well.
Last edited by DOSBoot on 23 Sep 2012, 14:19, edited 2 times in total.
Proud supporter of the United States 2nd Amendment.

2012 Predicament Predictions Champion.
14 Hundred Hours

Post by 14 Hundred Hours »

1: Glock oh yes oh yes oh yes! Now please score a point.
2: di Resta about time he unrejectified himself
Timo Glock für Bürgermeister.
Also I'm a girl. Maybe I shoulda made this clear waaay back to avoid confusion!
Pamphlet

Post by Pamphlet »

Felipe Massa - PHENOMENAL recovery drive. Did he seriously make his supersofts last 20 laps?!
Timo Glock - Stayed clean and calm all throughout the weekend, only two positions away from a point scoring finish. Marussia are now ahead of Caterham in the championship!

Honorable mention: Paul di Resta - Responded to his teammate's Spa performance in perfect fashion. Extremely difficult to separate him and Glock.
Sticking his neck on the line, one post at a time. Oh, and Singapore is still better than Monaco.
Dan B

Post by Dan B »

1) Marussia: This team seems to do well on this particular track thinking back to 2010. That said, this race was one of their better ones, and good job for Glock beating the Caterhams, a Sauber, and a Force India; the latter two definitely high achievements.

2) Paul di Resta: Superb drive.

Honorable mention goes to Felipe Massa, who did a great recovery drive and had that amazing pass on Senna.
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

1. Di Resta - If I need to change my signature, top vote for them.
2. Glock - Moves Marussia ahead of Caterham.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
LellaLombardi

Post by LellaLombardi »

1. Marussia. They should be very proud of today
2. Di Resta. Still think he is rather overrated but good job nonetheless

Honourable mention to Massa - really good to see him looking like his old self
Maria De Villotta will forever be badass. Rest in Peace.
Pulling for Schumi and Jules.
went

Post by went »

Massa: He was dead last in the first lap. Also that overtake, Jesus Christ.

Glock: 12th is a wonderful result for a Marussia.
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

1) Marussia: 12th and 13th, the best result forthe team so far and the 10th place in the championship.

2) Massa

Honorable mention for Paul di Resta's unrejectification
pasta_maldonado wrote:The stewards have recommended that Alan Jones learns to drive.
tristan1117
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tristan1117 »

1. Di Resta
2. Marussia
CoopsII wrote:On occasion I have ventured into the PMM forum but beat a hasty retreat soon after as it resembles some sort of bad acid trip in there
SeedStriker

Post by SeedStriker »

Different choices this time

Paul di Resta gets the higher tier for a fine drive into unrejectification. Now he's waiting for a bigger team to fight for the championship in 2013

Marussia for their best result ever, with a car with little to none development, a crap engine, but total commitment.

The Clash of the Titans Award goes to Felipe Massa with the overtake of the year, and a fine drive from last to 6th. Seems that the Felipinho from before the Hungaroring Headbutt is back
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

1. Paul di Resta- finally unrejectifies himself.
2. Felipe Massa- brilliant overtake on Senna. Showing glimpses of his 2008/09 form.

Honorable mention to Marussia for beating Caterham comfortably.
TORA! TORA! TORA!
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

Massa. After a horrible qualifying, and with the Ferrari looking poor this weekend, I didn't expect to see him in the points. Then came the first lap accident. He was helped by attrition and Safety Cars, but showed fighting spirit and fitness to push for the whole race. Managed one of the best saves I have ever seen and took some points off Red Bull's Mark Webber for the constructors.

Glock. Not just because he finished 12th, but because his race looked over after making contact with the wall. The car probably wasn't perfect after that, so kudos to him.
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

1. Marussia - Making some solid progress for the first time... ever, I think
2. Paul di Resta - Very impressive drive to 4th, unrejectifcation, and he's back ahead of Hulkenberg in my estimation now.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Sunshine_Baby_[IT]

Post by Sunshine_Baby_[IT] »

I hope you are joking about Massa. His race without the safety car would have been s**t as everyone of his races. ;)

My nomination goes to:
1. Glock
2. Di Resta
I'm Perry McCarthy and Taki Inoue's fan number 1 and I always will be.

My twitter: @Miluuu_Sunshine
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

Sunshine_Baby_[IT] wrote:I hope you are joking about Massa. His race without the safety car would have been s**t as everyone of his races. ;)

Strongly disagree. By the time the SC was deployed, he was already 16th and had a good look at finishing 13th, right where he started; this in a poor race for Ferrari, the kind of race he gets completely lost, and after losing a world in the first lap. He was 1m 18sec behind the leader after two laps, but only 1m 25sec by lap 30 -so he barely lost time to the leaders in spite of having to overtake a lot of slow cars.

Yes, he only managed to score because of the SC, but he had shown great pace before and put himself in a position to be able to capitalise on that. I thought he would be lapped very soon after the incident at the start, to be honest, but that never happened.
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
Pamphlet

Post by Pamphlet »

Sunshine_Baby_[IT] wrote:I hope you are joking about Massa. His race without the safety car would have been s**t as everyone of his races. ;)

According to the live timing he had better pace than Alonso, who also had clean air for much of the race (unlike his rivals). And before you say anything about the tyres, the supersofts should've still been way faster. Just look at how quickly Massa caught up to Grosjean after passing Senna.

Also, what Ferrim said. His pre-SC pace was on par with Hamilton's and Vettel's, the former of which had completely clean air in front of him. And that's with the backmarker troubles that he had to endure (yes, he had a few laps to catch up to the unfortunate Petrov, but that was only for the first 10 or so laps at best).

And before we forget, he did the last 20ish laps on supersofts. Vettel could only manage 10 laps on them. The others, at best, managed 15. Massa extracted at least 33% more life out of them, and nearly beat Grosjean in the process. Massa is most definitely not known for his ability to save tyres, and the Ferrari is usually harder on the tyres than the Red Bull and the Macca. We even saw that in the last race.

You genuinely have no clue what you're talking about.
Sticking his neck on the line, one post at a time. Oh, and Singapore is still better than Monaco.
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

1. di Resta. As usual, for unrejectifying.
2. Glock. Kept cool and put his team up to 10th.
Benetton

Post by Benetton »

Since Paul and Marussia are getting all the nominations I have to go another route.

1. Massa - Solid drive after being last after the first lap. Made most of his tires work and preserved them well at the end. Made good moves and progress. Overall a very solid drive.

2. Raikkonen - Made a subpar grid position work, unlike Hulkenberg and Perez who cocked up.
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

1. Sky's Di Resta
2. WESTERN AUSTRALIA'S Daniel Ricciardo

:)
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
Sunshine_Baby_[IT]

Pamphlet wrote:

According to the live timing he had better pace than Alonso, who also had clean air for much of the race (unlike his rivals). And before you say anything about the tyres, the supersofts should've still been way faster. Just look at how quickly Massa caught up to Grosjean after passing Senna.

Also, what Ferrim said. His pre-SC pace was on par with Hamilton's and Vettel's, the former of which had completely clean air in front of him. And that's with the backmarker troubles that he had to endure (yes, he had a few laps to catch up to the unfortunate Petrov, but that was only for the first 10 or so laps at best).

And before we forget, he did the last 20ish laps on supersofts. Vettel could only manage 10 laps on them. The others, at best, managed 15. Massa extracted at least 33% more life out of them, and nearly beat Grosjean in the process. Massa is most definitely not known for his ability to save tyres, and the Ferrari is usually harder on the tyres than the Red Bull and the Macca. We even saw that in the last race.

You genuinely have no clue what you're talking about.

I wasn't talking about what he did after the safety car, but about what he did before: nothing, except crashing with Petrov.
Nothing against Massa, I've always supported him, but I think that everyone is overrating his performance. Without safety car he would not have been able to be in the points.

Anyway I apologize about saying my opinion.

Pamphlet

Post by Pamphlet »

Sunshine_Baby_[IT] wrote:I wasn't talking about what he did after the safety car, but about what he did before: nothing, except crashing with Petrov.

The puncture wasn't his fault. Someone outbraked himself and ran into the back of the Ferrari.

Sunshine_Baby_[IT] wrote:Nothing against Massa, I've always supported him, but I think that everyone is overrating his performance. Without safety car he would not have been able to be in the points.

I know that feel. I rated him as the second worst driver on race day in Monza, after all. A race where everyone felt that he was one of, if not the best.

As for the points-scoring finish, nobody would've made it anywhere near the points if it wasn't for the safety cars. His pace, however, showed that he deserved to make it there. He was the better of the two Ferrari drivers on race day.
Sunshine_Baby_[IT]

Pamphlet wrote:
Sunshine_Baby_[IT] wrote:I wasn't talking about what he did after the safety car, but about what he did before: nothing, except crashing with Petrov.

The puncture wasn't his fault. Someone outbraked himself and ran into the back of the Ferrari.

But if he had a decent qualify, he wouldn't have started from that position. So the puncture wasn't his fault, but it was his fault to start from that position.

I know that feel. I rated him as the second worst driver on race day in Monza, after all. A race where everyone felt that he was one of, if not the best.

As for the points-scoring finish, nobody would've made it anywhere near the points if it wasn't for the safety cars. His pace, however, showed that he deserved to make it there. He was the better of the two Ferrari drivers on race day.

I don't feel Massa was one of the best in Monza (if I'm not wrong I didn't answer to IIDR of Monza), but I'm a little surprised to read he was the second worst at Monza.
Probably we just have different opinion: you think he was the worst at Monza and I think he was not the best but anyway not so horrible, while you think he was one of the best today, and I think he wasn't, instead. :-)

Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

1. Timo Glock: The hero of the race! Finishing twelfth in a Marussia is an unbelievable result, even though there were several retirements.
2. (shared) Paul di Resta: Also a brilliant race, very similar to Hülkenberg's in Belgium. If only he had overtaken Alonso...
Felipe Massa: After a poor qualifying and crash, I thought his race was basically over. However, he had an amazing recovery drive with the best overtake of the year (in spite of what I said in the "Unpopular opinions" thread, I don't think Karthikeyan or Yamamoto could have done this ;) ).
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

1) Di Resta - Very competitive, and makes up for the times he's gone backwards from good grid positions this year.

2) Glock - You have to take your opportunities on days like this and he certainly did that, despite clouting the wall (which shows how strong the Marussia must be, especially compared to the HRT!!)
Personally, I'm delighted for Marussia, as although I don't mind Caterham's drivers I can't stand Tony Fernandes.
James1978

Post by James1978 »

1. Di Resta
2. Glock

Honourable mention goes to Maldonado, he'd kept his nose clean for once and was looking good for some significant points until events beyond his control.
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
Ed24

Post by Ed24 »

1. Di Resta (nice for him to convert a good position unlike Spa and Monza)

2. Massa (how did he keep that out of the wall? Also, great long stint on super softs at the end)
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
-Abraham Lincoln
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

1) Timo Glock - have been slagging him off all season, and he produces his best drive ever for Manor.
2) Paul di Resta for finishing fourth and unrejectifying himself, and maybe finishing one place ahead of his team-mate for next season?
The Iceman Waiteth
What if Kimi Räikkönen hadn't got his chance in 2001?
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

For me, it's Timo Glock. I took a quick look at the race results and I was flabbergasted to see him placing 12th in the Marussia. Ahead of Kobayashi. Singapore really is his talisman circuit, isn't it? And, with this, Marussia is ahead of Caterham in the WCC, and it seems unlikely Caterham will manage to improve this result. Let the giggle begin.
Gerudo Dragon

Post by Gerudo Dragon »

Pastor - Was doing well until his hydraulics failed. Maybe he's finally learnt his lesson.
Trump 2016
QuickYoda41

Post by QuickYoda41 »

Hm, quite hard this time.

I expected Di Resta being fast this weekend, but not finishing as high as 4th.
Massa had quite an inspired drive after being unlucky at the start.
Glock overtook the Caterhams in WDC - after almost crashing out.
Ricciardo scoring points is always a surprise(-ish).

My final votes:

1. Massa
2. Glock
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

1. Massa - Strong comeback, and for one of the most ballsy passes I've ever seen.
2. Glock - 12th in a bathplugging Marussia. :shock:

Honourable mentions

Di Resta - Unrejectification in style
Maldonado - The Reverend was doing a fine job until the car broke down.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

1. Timo f***ing Glock, for getting his sh*t together and getting Marussia back to 10th in the constructors' championship! That's what I'm talking about baby!
2. Di Resta, I definitely didn't expect him to be hounding Alonso for a podium place and eventually finishing 4th. Great drive.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_