Snow in F1

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
James1978

Snow in F1

Post by James1978 »

Having just seen the picture of Eau Rouge covered in snow in the "Caption This" thread, I was intrigued to know if there have ever been any F1 races which have been affected by snow? I know it's unlikely as they always try to hold races at the times of year when it's warm in the respective countries, but surely it must have been at some point? I think I saw some in a winter test once but can't recall any in races during my memory! :)
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
CoopsII

Re: Snow in F1

Post by CoopsII »

Maybe in the pre-F1 days perhaps when they raced through mountainous regions, when F1 and Rallying was still the same thing; car racing.
Just For One Day...
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

You might be slightly bored by this video.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wyjc-EOA_O4 :P
DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

eagleash wrote:You might be slightly bored by this video.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wyjc-EOA_O4 :P

I'm not
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Wasn't there a race at Canada in the 70s with snow?
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

During the 1960s and 1970s, the Canadian GP was held in September and even October, therefore it might have happened.

BTW, 1982 was the first time it was held in June... June 13. Just one month after Gilles' death, and it was also the day on which Riccardo Paletti was killed. :cry: 1982 was really an awful year for F1, arguably worse than 1994 - but I guess very few people watched it live back then.
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
David AGS

Post by David AGS »

Good chance to happen in Australia, expecially in Melbourne as weather changes by the minute here!
Miserable Thierry (Boutsen) staggers round mostly on ten cylinders (out of 12) with no clutch, low oil pressure, bad brakes and no grip to finish tenth, 3 laps down...

(Murray Walkers review of Boutsen's Brazil 1991 race).

Thats a point these days!
midgrid

Post by midgrid »

"One day Bruno told me that he had heard the engine momentarily making a strange sound; his suspicion was that all the cylinders had been operating."
--Nigel Roebuck
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

David AGS wrote:Good chance to happen in Australia, expecially in Melbourne as weather changes by the minute here!

Try around Atlanta, Georgia in the United States. It would snow one second and then become 70 degrees the next and tornadoes a third. I am not kidding either.
Williams in the last few years http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
James1978

Post by James1978 »

That's a great find! Loved the pics of the JPS Lotus 72 with snow falling on it. :)

I know they were non-championship races but having F1 races in Britain in March is pure madness. Makes the April date for the 2000 British GP seem tropical in comparison. :lol:
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

I've had snow in September at Spa, but it wasn't a Formula 1 race.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Not an F1 race, but still interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5Mjeks4hIw
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
Pointrox

Post by Pointrox »

JeremyMcClean wrote:Not an F1 race, but still interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5Mjeks4hIw

To make it even more interesting, the race was held on... April 28th :D
stupot94

Post by stupot94 »

I know there was some snow during a test at Silverstone. They talked about the strangest elements ever to face F1 in an issue of F1 Racing once. Obviously the dust storm in Bahrain was mentioned.

And another pic was the release of one of the Arrows. Released in a snowy silverstone pitlane.
Say your prayers, here comes the Pastor
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

stupot94 wrote:I know there was some snow during a test at Silverstone. They talked about the strangest elements ever to face F1 in an issue of F1 Racing once. Obviously the dust storm in Bahrain was mentioned.

And another pic was the release of one of the Arrows. Released in a snowy silverstone pitlane.

Yes, I remember that one. Silverstone, in 1994, isn't it?
stupot94

Post by stupot94 »

Phoenix wrote:
stupot94 wrote:I know there was some snow during a test at Silverstone. They talked about the strangest elements ever to face F1 in an issue of F1 Racing once. Obviously the dust storm in Bahrain was mentioned.

Yes, I remember that one. Silverstone, in 1994, isn't it?

Its not actually! It was when Arrows had Patrese. I am going to do some research now.
The 1994 release was just Fittipaldi in a damp and foggy Silverstone. (Just sad at how I remember the video)
stupot94

Post by stupot94 »

34 years ago

F1 Racing wrote:Arrows managed to get their new car to Silverstone for a shakedown on 20th January, but the wintery conditions meant that all Riccardo Patrese could do was fire up the FA1 in the pitlane and gently parade the car in front of the team

there.
stupot94

Post by stupot94 »

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

stupot94 wrote:34 years ago

F1 Racing wrote:Arrows managed to get their new car to Silverstone for a shakedown on 20th January, but the wintery conditions meant that all Riccardo Patrese could do was fire up the FA1 in the pitlane and gently parade the car in front of the team

there.

But I seem to recall (I don't have the mag with me right now) that it snowed a bit during a pre-season test at Silverstone in 1994. Need to check out later.
cretoxyrhina

Post by cretoxyrhina »

Not exactly F1, but the 1933 Pau Grand Prix was held in February 19, and the snow mixed with dirt, oil and gravel, resulted in quite interesting track conditions.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

cretoxyrhina wrote:Not exactly F1, but the 1933 Pau Grand Prix was held in February 19, and the snow mixed with dirt, oil and gravel, resulted in quite interesting track conditions.

I smell Bernie's next great idea in this :lol:
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Formula Rallycross! :D :P
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Let's have the British Grand Prix at Lydden Hill... and bring Martin Schanche out of retirement!
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

I was debating whether to put it here or in the Car Launches thread but either way Snow may cancel the Ferrari shakedown run at Fiorano
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
James1978

Post by James1978 »

:lol:

Had to be Ferrari of all teams didn't it?
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

Wizzie wrote:I was debating whether to put it here or in the Car Launches thread but either way Snow may cancel the Ferrari shakedown run at Fiorano

Well I put it in the launches thread anyway. :)

The cancelled launch gave Fiat the chance to gain some publicity for the Chrysler part of their empire by arranging for Ferrari's drivers to take delivery of a couple of suitably liveried Jeep Cherokees prior to the new model being launched in Europe shortly.

DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Just For One Day...