New Channel Islands Grand Prix in 2013!!!

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
dr-baker

New Channel Islands Grand Prix in 2013!!!

Post by dr-baker »

And here it is. Although why they are saying it is near York, I have no idea, unless they built a newer York on the Norman coast of France... :roll: ;)
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
TheBigJ

Re: New Channel Islands Grand Prix in 2013!!!

Post by TheBigJ »

Is that pic a photoshop? Really Autosport...
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

There's already a United States Grand Prix, so I wonder what they're going to call it ... Autosport seems to imply it would be the "New Jersey Grand Prix", but I think that lacks punch. A revival of the United States Grand Prix East might be viable, but I think the best name would be the "Atlantic Grand Prix", like the Pacific Grand Prix in 1994 and 1995. Especially since Bernie was pushing for a race in New York, but got one on the other side of the Hudson instead.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

I don't know if the contracts allow this, but if they do, calling the Jersey race the United States Grand Prix with Austin taking the old United States West Grand Prix name would be a feasable option.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

True, but I don't think Austin would willingly give it up.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

If this does go ahead, I can't imagine the teams being too happy, with there already being races in Canada and Texas. Unless they have all three together in, say a three/four week block. However, that's probably too much common sense for FOM to handle!
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Actually, FOTA suggested two races in America when Bernie was still in talks with Tavo Hellmund.
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

Martin Whitmarsh has been quoted many times as saying they need two USA gp's, I love the Atlantic GP idea,
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

TheBigJ wrote:Is that pic a photoshop?

No, Autosport set the circuit up and got the Red Bull to pose for the picture.
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

sswishbone wrote:Martin Whitmarsh has been quoted many times as saying they need two USA gp's, I love the Atlantic GP idea,

Like the name too. :)
DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
Mister Fungus

Post by Mister Fungus »

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2011/10/22/j ... d-tuesday/

If this is the proposed layout I think it looks pretty good. Elevation difference of 50m on a really short space though, I wonder if it'll be like that. Judging from the google street view, the view of the midtown New York from there is really something.
mario

Post by mario »

Captain Hammer wrote:Actually, FOTA suggested two races in America when Bernie was still in talks with Tavo Hellmund.

Then if this is true, it looks like FOTA have managed to get exactly what they wanted, which would be back to back races in North America (mainly because the transportation costs of going from Europe to Canada for one race were somewhat prohibitive, but it would make much more economic sense if those costs could be split over two races).

Overall, I'd say that most parties should be fairly happy with this deal - FOTA gets the two races in the US it was after (and pairing the race in Austin with Interlagos seems to be a good deal, given that most of the teams were already using Dallas as a transport hub to get to Brazil), whilst FOM will be happy with the opportunity to have a major crack at the US market and for Bernie this is probably the closest he'll get to a New York GP (he'll still be getting just the right marketing image).
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Hopefully Tilke won't design the track!!!
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Post by ADx_Wales »

Kevin Smith should be Race Director...
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989
Ed24

Post by Ed24 »

TheBigJ wrote:Is that pic a photoshop? Really Autosport...

I don't think so, that's what Singapore looks like in the dusk of Friday FP1.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
-Abraham Lincoln
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

Interesting. I'm all for another U.S. GP on the calender. I just hope the track turns out to be good if it's a success.
Proud supporter of the United States 2nd Amendment.

2012 Predicament Predictions Champion.
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Clearly they are going off the huge success of the Baltimore IndyCar race.

Can't imagine this will sit too well with the locals however...
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Couldt be that the New Jersey (almost called it New Jumper...) race gets paired with Montreal while Texas continues to be paired with Interlagos at different points in the season?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

mario wrote:Then if this is true, it looks like FOTA have managed to get exactly what they wanted

I don't think FOTA had much to do with this.

dr-baker wrote:Couldt be that the New Jersey (almost called it New Jumper...) race gets paired with Montreal while Texas continues to be paired with Interlagos at different points in the season?

Well, June 2013 was floated as a start date ...
F1000X

Post by F1000X »

F1 race in my state? Less than 50 miles from my house?

There is a god.
"Sebastian Bourdais- he once was a champ, but now he's a chump." -Will Power
mario

Post by mario »

Captain Hammer wrote:
mario wrote:Then if this is true, it looks like FOTA have managed to get exactly what they wanted

I don't think FOTA had much to do with this.

Perhaps not directly (i.e. I do not think that FOTA would have one of their representatives attending the negotiations), but FOTA have been putting a lot of pressure on FOM to organise a race in the US to partner the Canadian GP.
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

F1000X wrote:F1 race in my state? Less than 50 miles from my house?

There is a god.

There isn't. You will see it when the race tickets are put for sale. :mrgreen:
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
TomPryce

Post by TomPryce »

Im normally not one to be fooled but... I actually thought for a moment they would make a circuit in the ACTUAL Channel Islands :lol: Not that its actually totally UNFEASABLE.
Remembering a Welsh sporting hero. Pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad.
Ed24

Post by Ed24 »

While the US is an important market, it will be a pity if another country loses out because of this.

I understand they want to build the US market, but I think it would've been better to let the Austin event build first, and add races in Mexico and Argentina for the similar time zone. I fear that two American races will not be able to survive.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
-Abraham Lincoln
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

TomPryce wrote:Im normally not one to be fooled but... I actually thought for a moment they would make a circuit in the ACTUAL Channel Islands :lol: Not that its actually totally UNFEASABLE.

I really would like a genuine Channel Islands GP almost as much as a Manx GP around the 37.73 mile Mountain course!
MCard LOLA
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

dr-baker wrote:
TomPryce wrote:Im normally not one to be fooled but... I actually thought for a moment they would make a circuit in the ACTUAL Channel Islands :lol: Not that its actually totally UNFEASABLE.

I really would like a genuine Channel Islands GP almost as much as a Manx GP around the 37.73 mile Mountain course!

Hell, just give a race to every island in the British Isles.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

Hell, just give a race to every island in the British Isles.

Hurrah! A return of the Aurora British F1 Series! And could we see another female winner in the series? Pippa Mann, Susie Stoddart, Katherine Legge, Alice Powell, Sarah Moore?

Suggested British Calendar

1. England - London street track
2. Wales - Anglesey
3. Scotland - Knockhill
4. Isle of Man - TT Mountain course
5. Irish Republic - Mondello Park
6. Northern Ireland - Belfast street track
7. Isle of Wight - historic cars only
8. Jersey - St Helier
9. Guernsey - St Peter Port
10. Sark for the season finale - after all, "In Sark, where most motor traffic is prohibited, the few vehicles – nearly all tractors – do not display plates. Bicycles display cardboard tax discs." (Wikipedia).
MCard LOLA
nome66

Post by nome66 »

if anything goes down in britain it should be the london street track proposed for the 60's. figure eights rule!
I believe in German BARawnda-Tyrrell-Simca(and it's working)

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

dr-baker wrote:Suggested British Calendar

2. Wales - Anglesey
3. Scotland - Knockhill
8. Jersey - St Helier
10. Sark for the season finale - after all, "In Sark, where most motor traffic is prohibited, the few vehicles – nearly all tractors – do not display plates. Bicycles display cardboard tax discs." (Wikipedia).

You missed the Isles of Scilly! I even made a circuit there on the Reject Circuits thread...
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Post by ADx_Wales »

And the Falklands!
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

dr-baker wrote:Hurrah! A return of the Aurora British F1 Series! And could we see another female winner in the series? Pippa Mann, Susie Stoddart, Katherine Legge, Alice Powell, Sarah Moore?

Susie Wolff and winning?
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

dinizintheoven wrote:

2. Wales - Anglesey
3. Scotland - Knockhill
8. Jersey - St Helier

You missed the Isles of Scilly! I even made a circuit there on the Reject Circuits thread...

ADx_Wales wrote:And the Falklands!

Maybe we ought to have Gibraltar as well?

Revised Suggested British Calendar

2. Wales - Anglesey
3. Scotland - Knockhill
4. Orkney Islands
5. Isle of Man - TT Mountain course
6. Irish Republic - Mondello Park
7. Northern Ireland - Belfast street track
8. Isle of Wight - historic cars only
9. Sciliy Islands
10. Canvey Island
11. The Falklands
12. Gibraltar
13. Jersey - St Helier
14. Guernsey - St Peter Port
15. Sark for the season finale - after all, "In Sark, where most motor traffic is prohibited, the few vehicles – nearly all tractors – do not display plates. Bicycles display cardboard tax discs." (Wikipedia).
MCard LOLA
nome66

Post by nome66 »

so tomorrow Ecclestodt and his minions will be making the announcement that F1 will have 2 races in the USA once again.
i mapped out the proposed course in google earth and it measures to about 3 and a half miles long. the hairpin on the eastern end of the course will be a topographical switchback on the side of a pretty big hill. the only other one on the calender would be monaco. i also measured the elevation change. 0 to 155ft above sea level and back in one lap!
I believe in German BARawnda-Tyrrell-Simca(and it's working)

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

TheBigJ wrote:Is that pic a photoshop? Really Autosport...

That pic is in the streets of Singapore.
Williams in the last few years http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

nome66 wrote:so tomorrow Ecclestodt and his minions will be making the announcement that F1 will have 2 races in the USA once again.
i mapped out the proposed course in google earth and it measures to about 3 and a half miles long. the hairpin on the eastern end of the course will be a topographical switchback on the side of a pretty big hill. the only other one on the calender would be monaco. i also measured the elevation change. 0 to 155ft above sea level and back in one lap!

And THIS looks like it would be a heck of an amazing course, provided it's wide enough and will be precise. Let's hope your idea comes to fruition. :D :idea:
Williams in the last few years http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

unless I am blind, none of those straights are totally without roads going across them, so where's the pits and paddock gonna be?
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
mario

Post by mario »

dr-baker wrote:
dinizintheoven wrote:

2. Wales - Anglesey
3. Scotland - Knockhill
8. Jersey - St Helier

2. Wales - Anglesey
3. Scotland - Knockhill
4. Orkney Islands
9. Sciliy Islands
10. Canvey Island
11. The Falklands
12. Gibraltar
13. Jersey - St Helier
15. Sark for the season finale - after all, "In Sark, where most motor traffic is prohibited, the few vehicles – nearly all tractors – do not display plates. Bicycles display cardboard tax discs." (Wikipedia).

Strictly speaking, the relationship between the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands is a little bit more complicated, given that they are Crown Dependencies (i.e. they are under the jurisdiction of the Crown, but otherwise self governing), so there is a bit of a debate over whether they are technically British.

Meanwhile, fun though it would be, places like Gibraltar or The Falkland Islands are not part of Britain - they are British Overseas Territories, which means that whilst certain aspects of their governance do come under the jurisdiction of the UK government, they are self governing territories that are not part of the British Isles.

nome66 wrote:so tomorrow Ecclestodt and his minions will be making the announcement that F1 will have 2 races in the USA once again.

Interesting (though I imagine that building that switchback road won't be cheap) - just wondering though, this circuit does look a little like somebody has combined part of Brands Hatch - from Hawthorns to Clearways - with with Hall Bends at Cadwell Park?
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

mario wrote:
dr-baker wrote:
dinizintheoven wrote:You missed the Isles of Scilly! I even made a circuit there on the Reject Circuits thread...

2. Wales - Anglesey
3. Scotland - Knockhill
4. Orkney Islands
9. Sciliy Islands
10. Canvey Island
11. The Falklands
12. Gibraltar
13. Jersey - St Helier

Strictly speaking, the relationship between the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands is a little bit more complicated, given that they are Crown Dependencies (i.e. they are under the jurisdiction of the Crown, but otherwise self governing), so there is a bit of a debate over whether they are technically British.

Meanwhile, fun though it would be, places like Gibraltar or The Falkland Islands are not part of Britain - they are British Overseas Territories, which means that whilst certain aspects of their governance do come under the jurisdiction of the UK government, they are self governing territories that are not part of the British Isles.

Yet you accept Mondello Park in the Irish Republic to be part of Britain? :lol: This is pure fantasy and at least you were able to see the connection between Britain and these others. And it was not me who started the Falklands suggestion... A truly international version of this would include British Empire countries, like having rounds at Taupo (NZ), Melbourne (Oz) and Montreal (Canada) but that would be streching things too far?
MCard LOLA
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

nome66 wrote:I mapped out the proposed course in google earth and it measures to about 3 and a half miles long.

I have calculated 3.5 miles in kilometers and if you don't mind I will now go scream in incoherent rage.
mario

Post by mario »

dr-baker wrote:
mario wrote:
dr-baker wrote:Maybe we ought to have Gibraltar as well?

2. Wales - Anglesey
3. Scotland - Knockhill
4. Orkney Islands
9. Sciliy Islands
10. Canvey Island
11. The Falklands
12. Gibraltar
13. Jersey - St Helier

Yet you accept Mondello Park in the Irish Republic to be part of Britain? :lol: This is pure fantasy and at least you were able to see the connection between Britain and these others. And it was not me who started the Falklands suggestion... A truly international version of this would include British Empire countries, like having rounds at Taupo (NZ), Melbourne (Oz) and Montreal (Canada) but that would be streching things too far?

To be honest, given that the relationship between the Irish Republic and the United Kingdom is something that is still sensitive ground, I was cautious about bringing it up - moreover, I would have thought that it is reasonably obvious that the Irish Republic is a very distinct entity from the United Kingdom, though it is perhaps less well know that the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man are quasi independent entities.

Mind you, on a side note, if you were to follow the logic of going for British Commonwealth countries, the current F1 track listing already has a fair scattering of Commonwealth territories (Australia, Canada, Malaysia, Singapore and now India) - so a good chunk of the current calendar would look fairly similar as it is.