Why is leaving the track not punished?

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
sswishbone

Why is leaving the track not punished?

Post by sswishbone »

In China Vettel left the track in quali on the final turn to carry more speed over the line, in quali at Turkey he did the same around 9/10 to carry more onto the straight, in Australia he overtook Button by crossing the lines. In china Massa repeatedly crossed the line out of the pits and didn't get a penalty. I just don't get it, rule 20.3 clearly states a driver cannot leave the track and gain an advantage. If you leave the track and overtake a car or carry more speed into a corner than you would by using the track lined out, that has to be an advantage surely? what's everyone elses take on this?
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Why is leaving the track not punished?

Post by DanielPT »

I think all those cases were judged as not gaining an advantage since they covered more ground and went with a dirtier line, losing grip on their tires. Given all those parameters it is probably considered as an driving error and thus probably a disadvantage by itself. So they didn't got penalties. Perhaps in Massa case he got a warning.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

Not so sure about gaining a place (in the case of Vettel) as not gaining an advantage but I can see the ppint, but it reminds me of spa 2009 when raikonnen straight-lined La Source and hit kers to blast into the lead and didn't get punished. Apart from Rosberg's penalty in Singapore 2009 when has a driver bene punished for it recently? (and incidentally, he gained no advantage either as he went straight back over and it was under the safety car)
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

sswishbone wrote:Not so sure about gaining a place (in the case of Vettel) as not gaining an advantage but I can see the ppint, but it reminds me of spa 2009 when raikonnen straight-lined La Source and hit kers to blast into the lead and didn't get punished.

This is the only explanation for Raikkonen not being penalized. Most of the people thought that he gained an unfair advantage but, if not helped by KERS, he probably would have been worse than if he followed the line. The stewards probably though that it was Fisi though luck in not having KERS.

sswishbone wrote: Apart from Rosberg's penalty in Singapore 2009 when has a driver bene punished for it recently? (and incidentally, he gained no advantage either as he went straight back over and it was under the safety car)

I can't remember more recent penalties for crossing the line while leaving the pits.
I think Massa was not penalized because he only crossed the white inside line which is overlooked. There were 2 lines, so my guess is that had he crossed the outside line (the one furthest from the pit lane exit) he would have been punished. FIA sometimes ignores these lines by common sense (remember the pit entry line at Interlagos. A case to the point and incidentally a precedent was when Massa was overtaken by Alonso in the pit lane entry of China last year. That move, made while a bit off track, was judged legal.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Tealy

Post by Tealy »

Stating the obvious I know but Button was punished for overtaking Massa whilst off the track in Melbourne. I think in general the stewards are more lenient these days than in years past and I for one am pleased as a result. I hate seeing drivers penalised constantly.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Tealy wrote:Stating the obvious I know but Button was punished for overtaking Massa whilst off the track in Melbourne. I think in general the stewards are more lenient these days than in years past and I for one am pleased as a result. I hate seeing drivers penalised constantly.

Thing is, that, while cutting chicanes is a clear penalty because in almost every case you gain an advantage, going outside the track by going wider or straightening the line is murky waters. In this case it is not clear that an advantage is gained since you will be travelling further than the usual racing line, which is more or less considered optimal because of corner apexes. You should also consider kerbs and run-off tarmac that has low grip. Stewards might investigate this but normally they drop it in the end. Think Petrov in Malaysia, he went wide while possibly going faster and was dully punished by a high kerb. Nevertheless I have a vague notion that someone already got penalized for going outside the track and gaining advantage but I can't recall distinct situations.

Anyway, a simpler and possibly truer explanation for some situations being penalized while others aren't is pure stewards incompetence.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

DanielPT wrote:Thing is, that, while cutting chicanes is a clear penalty because in almost every case you gain an advantage, going outside the track by going wider or straightening the line is murky waters. In this case it is not clear that an advantage is gained since you will be travelling further than the usual racing line, which is more or less considered optimal because of corner apexes. You should also consider kerbs and run-off tarmac that has low grip. Stewards might investigate this but normally they drop it in the end. Think Petrov in Malaysia, he went wide while possibly going faster and was dully punished by a high kerb. Nevertheless I have a vague notion that someone already got penalized for going outside the track and gaining advantage but I can't recall distinct situations.

Anyway, a simpler and possibly truer explanation for some situations being penalized while others aren't is pure stewards incompetence.

In BTCC support races in the UK, I often hear of drivers getting penalised for "exceeding track limits." At Brands Hatch, this most often happens for running wide at Paddock Hill and Graham Hill bends.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Myrvold

Post by Myrvold »

One good reason: When people DO get penalized, there are a lot of complains for "making it imossible to fight side by side".
Ed24

Post by Ed24 »

I think the limits are discussed in the drivers breifing.

Not fully related, but I think Hamilton should also have got a reprimand for squeezing Massa towards the pitlane, including pitcrew after Massa's release alongside him. We saw Vettel do this in China 2010, and I think it's a bad precedent to allow this to happen
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
-Abraham Lincoln
Tealy

Post by Tealy »

Ed24 wrote:I think the limits are discussed in the drivers breifing.

Not fully related, but I think Hamilton should also have got a reprimand for squeezing Massa towards the pitlane, including pitcrew after Massa's release alongside him. We saw Vettel do this in China 2010, and I think it's a bad precedent to allow this to happen

Agreed. As much as Massa should have backed off a bit sooner (in my opinion) there was no need for Hamilton to try and scare him into it. He should have just kept driving straight and he would have come out in front. There is no need for this weaving we sometimes see in the pitlane.
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

dr-baker wrote:In BTCC support races in the UK, I often hear of drivers getting penalised for "exceeding track limits." At Brands Hatch, this most often happens for running wide at Paddock Hill and Graham Hill bends.

Particularly true at Brands before the bit of "old track" on the outside of Paddock was grassed in a few years ago. It provided almost double track width towards the bottom of paddock & penalties often resulted as it was perceived to allow more speed to be carried into Paddock. Running wide on the old track.....not a good idea..... :P
DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

eagleash wrote:
dr-baker wrote:In BTCC support races in the UK, I often hear of drivers getting penalised for "exceeding track limits." At Brands Hatch, this most often happens for running wide at Paddock Hill and Graham Hill bends.

Particularly true at Brands before the bit of "old track" on the outside of Paddock was grassed in a few years ago. It provided almost double track width towards the bottom of paddock & penalties often resulted as it was perceived to allow more speed to be carried into Paddock. Running wide on the old track.....not a good idea..... :P

No, I can imagine not...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

sswishbone wrote:Not so sure about gaining a place (in the case of Vettel) as not gaining an advantage but I can see the ppint, but it reminds me of spa 2009 when raikonnen straight-lined La Source and hit kers to blast into the lead and didn't get punished. Apart from Rosberg's penalty in Singapore 2009 when has a driver bene punished for it recently? (and incidentally, he gained no advantage either as he went straight back over and it was under the safety car)

What car was Kimi driving? A Ferrari. That should explain itself really...
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
Reverie Planetarian

Post by Reverie Planetarian »

It's contextual. On today's tarmac-runoff-area-heavy circuits, especially if you have lots of aggressive drivers and blocking, somebody's going to leave the track and be in a position where they can rejoin the race without a second thought. Gaining ground and if the move appeared intentional are context by which leaving the track is either excused or not.

Take a non-F1 example: the famous Alex Zanardi overtake in CART at Laguna Seca. He didn't just clip the Corkscrew, you could argue he cut that corner pretty badly. However, it was either that or cause a crash, and so that was allowed to go through.
Some say he plans to put an S921 on the Goodwood 2012 run, and that he DOES know what Deletraz is doing.
All we know is...he's called Perry McCarthy!

...we'll never see an S921 at Goodwood, will we?
dnhrudi

Post by dnhrudi »

I felt i was being punished every time I left Silverstone.....
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

This is something of a thorny issue. Many people would say grass run-offs are not very safe (let alone gravel traps), and, in addition, there are times (mainly at the start of races) that you can't tell if a driver has left the track and used the asphalt run-off to get and advantage or to avoid crashing with other drivers. I've read in a comment posted by mario that there is a special asphalt coating that is more abrasive with the tyres. Maybe that'd be the ideal solution (something that, in addition, slows the cars a bit).
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Reverie Planetarian wrote:Take a non-F1 example: the famous Alex Zanardi overtake in CART at Laguna Seca. He didn't just clip the Corkscrew, you could argue he cut that corner pretty badly. However, it was either that or cause a crash, and so that was allowed to go through.

I'll have to check again, but I don't think he ever had more than two wheels off the track.

As far as a solution to runoff areas, I have one, it's called a wall with a SAFER barrier. Try that out.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
Jeroen Krautmeir

Post by Jeroen Krautmeir »

Cynon wrote:
Reverie Planetarian wrote:Take a non-F1 example: the famous Alex Zanardi overtake in CART at Laguna Seca. He didn't just clip the Corkscrew, you could argue he cut that corner pretty badly. However, it was either that or cause a crash, and so that was allowed to go through.

I'll have to check again, but I don't think he ever had more than two wheels off the track.

As far as a solution to runoff areas, I have one, it's called a wall with a SAFER barrier. Try that out.

Honourary Youngest Forum Member, Joint Mackem Of The Forum

"When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting".
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Jeroen Krautmeir wrote:
Cynon wrote:

At least he had two wheels on tarmac... :mrgreen:
DonTirri
Location: Herttoniemi, Helsinki, Finland, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way.

Post by DonTirri »

There's one thing I've always wondered about the Corkscrew... could a modern F1 car even MAKE the corner in one piece?
I got Pointed Opinions and I ain't afraid to use em!
F1rejects no.1Räikkönen and Vettel fan.
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

DonTirri wrote:There's one thing I've always wondered about the Corkscrew... could a modern F1 car even MAKE the corner in one piece?

I believe a Toyota made it round a few years ago and set a decently competitive time...
MCard LOLA
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Jeroen Krautmeir wrote:
Cynon wrote:

Beast mode engaged. :mrgreen:

I think a Toyota F1 car holds the Laguna Seca lap record, so I think they could make it around in one piece. It's a shame that, Corkscrew aside, Laguna Seca isn't all that exciting.

DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

dr-baker wrote:
DonTirri wrote:There's one thing I've always wondered about the Corkscrew... could a modern F1 car even MAKE the corner in one piece?

I believe a Toyota made it round a few years ago and set a decently competitive time...

Meh... It was only a tenth and a half quicker than a 6 year old (at the time, make it 11 today) CART car...
Myrvold

Post by Myrvold »

Cynon wrote:I think a Toyota F1 car holds the Laguna Seca lap record, so I think they could make it around in one piece. It's a shame that, Corkscrew aside, Laguna Seca isn't all that exciting.

Didn't Bourdais drive faster in a CART?
Jeroen Krautmeir

Post by Jeroen Krautmeir »

Myrvold wrote:
Cynon wrote:I think a Toyota F1 car holds the Laguna Seca lap record, so I think they could make it around in one piece. It's a shame that, Corkscrew aside, Laguna Seca isn't all that exciting.

I hate to be particular but it was a CCWS :P
Honourary Youngest Forum Member, Joint Mackem Of The Forum

"When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting".
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Myrvold wrote:

HWNSNBM drove faster in a kart.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

kostas22 wrote:
Myrvold wrote:

HWNSNBM was faster crawling around the circuit.

Fixed.
Myrvold

Post by Myrvold »

Jeroen Krautmeir wrote:
Myrvold wrote:

I hate to be particular but it was a CCWS :P

Nothing to hate! A lesson learned is always a good thing! :)