101226 Season Review Edition

The place for discussion of all aspects of the gprejects.com website
Kuwashima
F1 Rejects Founder

101226 Season Review Edition

Post by Kuwashima »

G'day all,

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! As our Xmas present to you, please now find, for your downloading pleasure and listening pain, our Season Review Edition online!

We fleetingly cover the last two races, sink our teeth into the Lotus debacle, and, with help from Margie Lane again, mono-wordily classify and rank all the teams and drivers - including the announcement of our Reject of the Year.

Hope you enjoy, and stay tuned for the written Season Review this week, an 11,000 word magnum opus.

Cheers
Jamie

(PS we were to do a bit more in the final segment but since we were recording on Christmas Eve, we got cut for time! But it's long enough as it is so maybe that was a good thing).
TomWazzleshaw

Re: 101226 Season Review Edition

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

I'm up to the segment on Lotus and it's a great podcast so far... still waiting for that interview with Chris Dagnall :D :lol:
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Ed24

Post by Ed24 »

Thanks for the Christmas present!

Also, thanks for both of your efforts in 2010, and I look forward to 2011! :)
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
-Abraham Lincoln
Glennerz

Post by Glennerz »

I'm trying to listen to it on the website because I can't find it on iTunes, and it's very quiet - I can't hear anything until I turn it up sufficiently that the background speaker hum is louder than the speech itself. I'll try it with headphones, see if that helps.

EDIT: Speaker problem. The plot thickens.
"Those (MasterCard-Lola) laps don't have a time, they've got an expiry date" -Unknown, 1997 Australian Grand Prix
Collieafc

Post by Collieafc »

Enjoyed the podcast, and was surprised by some of the rankings for the rejects, though your explanations were very fair. Made for good listening!
DanielPT wrote:Life usually expires after 400 meters and always before reaching 2 laps or so. In essence, Life is short.
LukeB

Post by LukeB »

The Aussie cricket team could do with some of those Barrichello endorsed magic bracelets :D
Making up the numbers
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

LukeB wrote:The Aussie cricket team could do with some of those Barrichello endorsed magic bracelets :D

They already are using them :lol:
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

LukeB wrote:The Aussie cricket team could do with some of those Barrichello endorsed magic bracelets :D

Don't get me started. The English lead by 298. This is the most pathetic Australian performance - so little grit. They need Mark Webber to give them a pep-talk.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Great podcast. But at the start of the season, I had zero expectations for HRT, and after FP3 in Bahrain, when Karun Chandhok had still never driven an F1 car, I had even fewer expectations. So for HRT to have not only complete the season, but to officially beat Virgin, and for Karun Chandhok to have been the second-best of all new-team drivers, means that HRT and Chandhok most exceeded expectations. So why was this not reflected in your rankings?

Oh, and iTunes has this podcast listed as having been released on 26th November 2010... ;)
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Row Man Gross-Gene

Post by Row Man Gross-Gene »

Excellent review. And thanks Jamie for giving me my new signature!
It's just unbelievable...that Formula 1 could be such a ridiculous melange of idiots.

-Jamie McGregor

Check out my colo(u)ring pages website: http://sites.google.com/site/carcoloringpages/
mario

Post by mario »

eytl wrote:

Don't get me started. The English lead by 298. This is the most pathetic Australian performance - so little grit. They need Mark Webber to give them a pep-talk.

I'm afraid that to add insult to injury, Ponting will now have to forfeit 40% of his fee for this test match after the ICC found him guilty of breaching their code of conduct. Whilst not unexpected after repeatedly questioning the on field umpires, even after the third umpire concluded that they were correct, he was lucky that he wasn't charged with dissent as he could have been suspended from the match.

Still, onto the slightly less sensitive topic of the season review - I have to say that I quite enjoyed the podcast, and although occasionally disagreeing with the ranking and assessment of the drivers, cannot fault the way that you explained your choices.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

I love the fact that PDLR is referred to as a 90's driver, despite not making his debut til 1999.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

"And now, everyone's second favourite Japanese driver, out of two, Sakon Yamamoto! YAH!"

Very hilarious. Webber should have been on the top, and I agree with Alonso being as low as you put him. Very well done.
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

I just downloaded 'One Word From You'. It is truly magnificent.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
Kuwashima
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by Kuwashima »

redbulljack14 wrote:I love the fact that PDLR is referred to as a 90's driver, despite not making his debut til 1999.

Which makes him a 90s driver through and through!

shinji wrote:I just downloaded 'One Word From You'. It is truly magnificent.

Why, yes, it is. And I don't know what to make of the 'Popularity' column in the image below:

Glennerz

Post by Glennerz »

Kuwashima wrote:I don't know what to make of the 'Popularity' column in the image below:

One hit wonder, from you...
"Those (MasterCard-Lola) laps don't have a time, they've got an expiry date" -Unknown, 1997 Australian Grand Prix
MinardiFan95

Post by MinardiFan95 »

It was another great podcast, but there was something missing from it, a F1 Rejects podcast Christmas tradition - the Christmas Jug Band.
This is a cool spot.
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

Kuwashima wrote:And I don't know what to make of the 'Popularity' column in the image below:

And I don't know what to make of the genre. I mean, classical? Yes, "One Word From You" is a classic but, seriously?

Vivaldi, Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Tchaikovsky, Margie Lane ...
Glennerz

Post by Glennerz »

To be fair the album artwork is extremely old-fashioned - the fonts, the colours and the picture of Margie that appears to have been cropped from an impromptu family portrait. Just sepia the picture and there you have it - pure 19th Century photo album cover!
noisebox

Post by noisebox »

mario wrote:
eytl wrote:

I'm afraid that to add insult to injury, Ponting will now have to forfeit 40% of his fee for this test match after the ICC found him guilty of breaching their code of conduct. Whilst not unexpected after repeatedly questioning the on field umpires, even after the third umpire concluded that they were correct, he was lucky that he wasn't charged with dissent as he could have been suspended from the match.

Still, onto the slightly less sensitive topic of the season review - I have to say that I quite enjoyed the podcast, and although occasionally disagreeing with the ranking and assessment of the drivers, cannot fault the way that you explained your choices.

All over guys - now you know how we've felt for the last 24 years! Bring on Sydney, 3-1 has a nice ring to it...
"will you stop him playing tennis then?", referring to Montoya's famous shoulder injury, to which Whitmarsh replied "well, it's very difficult to play tennis on a motorbike"
mario

Post by mario »

noisebox wrote:
mario wrote:
eytl wrote:Don't get me started. The English lead by 298. This is the most pathetic Australian performance - so little grit. They need Mark Webber to give them a pep-talk.

All over guys - now you know how we've felt for the last 24 years! Bring on Sydney, 3-1 has a nice ring to it...

I think that you might find that our esteemed web masters might, somewhat unsurprisingly, find a 3-1 scoreline doesn't quite have the same lustre to it that being on the other side of the world has. Credit where it is due, as Haddin at least tried to fight back to recover some honour, but Australia were always on the back foot as England seemed to have them covered off, whatever they tried to do.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

I think the One Word Season Review for Michael Schumacher should have been:
Podiumless
-*:-
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

What happened to James Darren at the end of the podcast? Much as I enjoyed Count Floyd's Reggae Christmas Eve, I was still waiting for the Losers to be Blessed at the end. After all, if Losers are to be Blessed only once a year, Christmas is the time to do it!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
LucaPacchiarini

Post by LucaPacchiarini »

I'll download the podcast as soon as I can! Happy 2011!

By the way, has Beck's Loser ever been featured in the podcasts?
..I'm the member number 666 on this forum... I'm doomed to rejectdom
"Giovanni Lavaggi Draiver is a big, bigger than people think"
(Giancarlo Minardi, on his former driver Giovanni Lavaggi)
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

Kuwashima wrote:Why, yes, it is. And I don't know what to make of the 'Popularity' column in the image below:

I downloaded it. I assume you downloaded it.

At least two downloads probably equates to more than the rest of her songs together.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
Kuwashima
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by Kuwashima »

LucaPacchiarini wrote:By the way, has Beck's Loser ever been featured in the podcasts?

No. But I love the song so it will definitely make an appearance in 2011.
TimmyB

Post by TimmyB »

No mention of the number 100.... ?
uh_clem

Post by uh_clem »

I heard the word "furphy" used during the podcast and I wondered what it was. I looked around and found this: Furphy
Posted for the benefit of others who don't speak Australian. :)
Ed24

Post by Ed24 »

I've finally had time to listen to the podcast, so I can return to the site without fearing spoilers! :D

I even had a dream that I accidentally visited the site and it had a picture of Buemi as reject of the year!

Excellent work!

EDIT: One suggestion for future season review podcasts, why not play the anthem of the worst team of the year as well?
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
-Abraham Lincoln
TimmyB

Post by TimmyB »

EDIT: One suggestion for future season review podcasts, why not play the anthem of the worst team of the year as well?

ROTY isn't always awarded to a driver. In the past ROTY has been won by Williams and I'm pretty sure 'God Save The Queen' was played on the podcast.
hclw

Post by hclw »

Loved the season review podcast.

Any ideas if the 2011 season will see a return to regular f1reject podcasting?
Kobacrashi

Post by Kobacrashi »

My favourite podcast, makes F1 more exciting and i always look forward the the one word review(proud owner of one word song).

Hope the site continues for many years!
Kobayashi is back! Need I say more!
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

Thank you yet again for another great season of F1Rejects.com coverage. May I ask if the Season Preview is already in the works? I'm looking forward to it. Your take on the rookies will be especially interesting.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."