F1 Breakaway (Alternative) Series

Archive for the three above subforums
Jeroen Krautmeir

F1 Breakaway (Alternative) Series

Post by Jeroen Krautmeir »

When I'm bored, I usually go to wikipedia, find an F1 article, and edit it as much as my imagination allows me to. Yesterday, I was messing about with the 1960 Formula One season. I was thinking about a breakaway series, or more accurately, an alternative series, as no F1 teams are in my series. Anyway, if there were spoiler tags here, I would put in the whole thing and ask you to find a random article, and annihilate everything, replacing it with my stuff, but there are no spoiler tags. :(

So I'll just write the whole thing here!

Feel free to criticize/comment! :D

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The 2011 Grand Prix season was the first season of the Formula One breakaway series.

Season Summary

The inaugural World Championship, to a formula which specified engine capacity of 3.0 litres, saw ART dominate with their Peugeot A30, a well-developed design, which won five European Grands Prix. ART drivers consequently dominated the championship with van der Garde edging out Grosjean. Despite this, the championship was a well fought one, with 5 drivers taking pole position, 7 taking fastest laps, and 6 race winners. Championship points were given to top 8 finishers (10, 8, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1). All points counted towards the championship.

The series was created to be a bigger competitive spectacle than Formula One, and in many respects, it succeeded tremendously. In terms of tyres, Michelin, Pirelli and Avon all fought it out for supremacy, while on the engine front, Peugeot provided engines to ART and DAMS, Mugen-Honda supplied their works team and Zytek supplied all other teams. In retrospect, the first Grand Prix season saw most of the teams who applied for Formula One for 2011, enter Grand Prix. Villeneuve-Durango (racing under the name Villeneuve), Epsilon Euskadi, ART Grand Prix and Stefan GP all entered. GP2 and GP3 teams also came in mass, such as ART, iSport, Rapax, Status and Coloni. Independent entries were also accepted, and these entries contested for the Independent Category, which Robert Wickens of Canada won with ease. The success of Grand Prix was largely thanks to its low costs, with engine, tyre and travel fees all covered by the organizing body, the RDA (Racers Driving Association), which was led by former Formula 1 driver, Niki Lauda.

Season Review

Drivers and Constructors

2011 Drivers Championship Final Standings

2011 Constructors Championship Final Standings

Last edited by Jeroen Krautmeir on 25 Sep 2010, 01:54, edited 1 time in total.
Honourary Youngest Forum Member, Joint Mackem Of The Forum

"When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting".
P_Friesacher

Re: F1 Breakaway (Alternative) Series

Post by P_Friesacher »

Wickens winning every independent category race but his home GP is a nice touch, I have to say :D
Although I would have used the temporary street cicuit in Bilbao as a fitting home for the Spanish GP ;)
And maybe Autopolis insted of Motegi. Even though your choice is also very good, reject-wise.
Waris

Post by Waris »

I lol'd at this thread. You have a wonderful imagination.

But in your tables, the Portuguese grand prix and the Japanese Grand Prix in the independent class appear to have no fastest lap set? :o
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

How's Takuma Sato so regular in this? And what the heck happened with Alexander Rossi? :lol:
I have to say the Wikipedia style presentation is a very nice touch.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Phoenix wrote:How's Takuma Sato so regular in this? And what the heck happened with Alexander Rossi? :lol:

I put a spanner in his gearbox and paid Chip to leave it there.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

How dare you make Bertrand score only 1 point?
How dare you make Stefan GP score only 3 points?
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Jeroen Krautmeir

Waris wrote:I lol'd at this thread. You have a wonderful imagination.

But in your tables, the Portuguese grand prix and the Japanese Grand Prix in the independent class appear to have no fastest lap set? :o

Thanks. :D

POR and JAP do have fastest laps, it is the Canadian GP for the Independents in which I forgot to put both pole and fastest lap.

And what the heck happened with Alexander Rossi? :lol:[/quote]
First two were mechanical (engine-hydraulics), next four were human error, then engine, followed by suspension and the final two were both human error. :)

tommykl wrote:How dare you make Bertrand score only 1 point?
How dare you make Stefan GP score only 3 points?

I dare. :P

Thanks for the comments guys, a 2012 season should be up and running soon!

"When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting".
Jeroen Krautmeir

2012- CARROLL-VAN DER GARDE- FRANCHITTI

More teams, More drivers, More races, More mistakes...
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

* ART Grand Prix retained their successful 2011 lineup of Giedo van der Garde and Romain Grosjean.
* iSport replaced the under-performing Christian Vietoris with Sébastien Buemi, who joined from the Torro Rosso Formula One team. He was partnered by Adam Carroll, retained from 2011.
* Mugen-Honda kept Takuma Sato as lead driver and replaced Kazuki Nakajima with Loïc Duval, a young driver who had impressed in A1GP, and who had won the 2009 Formula Nippon title.
* Chip Ganassi Racing retained Dario Franchitti for 2012, but replaced Alexander Rossi with Scott Dixon.

The success of Grand Prix in its first season, along with low costs, attracted many new teams. Super Nova Racing, Barwa Addax and Virgin Racing were among the new teams, Virgin, leaving Formula One for Grand Prix. Upon Chip Ganassi Racing's success in 2011, Team Penske, a rival team in IndyCar formed a team for the 2012 season, made up of Hélio Castroneves and Will Power. In total, a record 19 teams would enter the 2012 Grand Prix season, a 9 team increase from 2011. The Independent category was less cluttered, with only 3 new entries.

With the huge increase of teams, at the start of the season, pre-qualifying was required for the 7 new teams: Team Penske, Virgin Racing, Status Grand Prix, SG Formula, Tech 1 Racing, Carlin Motorsport and the Porsche works team. Pre-qualifying was also required for the 3 new entries in the Independent category. Only 32 (25 regular entrants and 7 independents) cars were allowed to start a race, hence the top 4 from Pre-Qualifying and the top Independent in Pre-Qualifying were allowed into qualifying itself.

The increase of teams compelled the RDA to create a new points system, with the top 10 finishers receiving points at the end of a race. The new system was as follows, (20, 18, 15, 12, 10, 8, 5, 3, 2, 1)

New races in the form of the Australian GP (Adelaide), Swedish GP (Anderstop) and Indonesian GP (Sentul) were added to the calendar.

Adam Carroll of iSport International won the title posthumously. The Brit was killed at the United States Grand Prix after Dani Clos rammed him sideways, sending Carroll barrelrolling several times before smashing into a tree. The stewards along with the RDA ruled it as a racing incident, therefore Clos' licence was not revoked. As for iSport, they continued the season with Buemi as their sole driver.

After the United States Grand Prix where Christian Klien had finished in third for Stefan, the top cars were as usual impounded for inspection for compliance with the rules. Following this, it was alleged that the water was in fact 27.5% aromatics and constituted an additional fuel source. Stefan were thus charged with use of illegal fuel (the aromatic-water mix). A weight check also found the Stefan S112 to be a near 5 kilograms underweight. Following further investigation, RDA officials also charged Stefan with using ballast incorrectly. For this, Stefan GP were disqualified for the whole season, along with their drivers, but the RDA allowed Klien to keep his trophy, even though Romain Grosjean would be promoted to 3rd place in the official results.

Season Review

Drivers and Constructors

2012 Drivers Championship Final Standings

2012 Constructors Championship Final Standings
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm pretty certain there are many mistakes, but try your best to enjoy! ;)
Last edited by Jeroen Krautmeir on 30 Sep 2010, 06:09, edited 1 time in total.

TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Umm... why exactly is Dani Clos missing from the drivers standings and Epsilon Euskadi missing from the constructors standings?
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Jeroen Krautmeir

Wizzie wrote:Umm... why exactly is Dani Clos missing from the drivers standings and Epsilon Euskadi missing from the constructors standings?

Told you there would be mistakes. Will fix.

EDIT: Fixed

CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

How can you possibly not have Tiago Monteiro participating? You've made me sad. :(
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

NC. Jerome D'Ambrosio

I don't like you...
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Jeroen Krautmeir

:(

Okay, fine fine, I'll stop doing this to keep you guys happy.

CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Jeroen Krautmeir wrote::(

Okay, fine fine, I'll stop doing this to keep you guys happy.

No! Just get Tiago in there, yeah? ;)
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
LucaPacchiarini

Post by LucaPacchiarini »

sorry but having Anderstor as final race is as rejectful as you can get :lol:
...and also using the Lausitzring :geek:
..I'm the member number 666 on this forum... I'm doomed to rejectdom
"Giovanni Lavaggi Draiver is a big, bigger than people think"
(Giancarlo Minardi, on his former driver Giovanni Lavaggi)
P_Friesacher

Post by P_Friesacher »

LucaPacchiarini wrote:sorry but having Anderstor as final race is as rejectful as you can get :lol:
...and also using the Lausitzring :geek:

In other words: it's perfect :!:
Jeroen Krautmeir

Very well, I will insert Tiago next time around to please Carlos.

And try and make a Belgian successful, for the sake of appeasing tommy. :arrow:

DonTirri
Location: Herttoniemi, Helsinki, Finland, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way.

Post by DonTirri »

Jeroen Krautmeir wrote:Very well, I will insert Tiago next time around to please Carlos.

You are also sorely missing the token Finn! Mika Mäki or Valtteri Bottas demand a seat!
I got Pointed Opinions and I ain't afraid to use em!
F1rejects no.1Räikkönen and Vettel fan.
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

DonTirri wrote:
Jeroen Krautmeir wrote:Very well, I will insert Tiago next time around to please Carlos.

You are also sorely missing the token Finn! Mika Mäki or Valtteri Bottas demand a seat!

Well either of them could easily buy their way into iSport...
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Jeroen Krautmeir

Okay, things to remember.

- Tiago Monteiro
- Successful Belgian driver
- Finn Driver

Anything else? So I can avoid the wrath of you all?

TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Jeroen Krautmeir wrote:Okay, things to remember.

- Tiago Monteiro
- Finn Driver

Austral-Asian Grand Prix at Surfers in conjunction with the V8 round, an Italian Grand Prix somewhere (Probably Imola or something like that) and possibly a Grand Prix is South America
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Jeroen Krautmeir wrote:Okay, things to remember.

- Tiago Monteiro
- Finn Driver

Gabrielle Tarquini. And he actually wins it in the end. :mrgreen:
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

And before I forget maybe a slightly more competitive second half of the grid so we get more random result :D
Jeroen Krautmeir

You know, hows about I do a race by race report, along with pre-season previews etcetra. You guys like that? Or is it going to clutter the thread too much?

TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Jeroen Krautmeir wrote:You know, hows about I do a race by race report, along with pre-season previews etcetra. You guys like that? Or is it going to clutter the thread too much?

Race by race reports sound good. Just avoid using Legard cliches and you should be fine :lol:
Jeroen Krautmeir

Wizzie wrote:
Jeroen Krautmeir wrote:You know, hows about I do a race by race report, along with pre-season previews etcetra. You guys like that? Or is it going to clutter the thread too much?

Race by race reports sound good. Just avoid using Legard cliches and you should be fine :lol:

Right, so I'll try to go to my Stefan Bellof standard then? Or something? :?:

Should get a pre-season thing up and running soon.

Jeroen Krautmeir

GRAND PRIX ENTERS ITS 3RD SEASON, PREVIEWS AND MORE.
By Andrew Van de Burgt

The series which has taken so much publicity from Formula One is back, and with more publicity. Reigning champion Adam Carroll won the 2012 title posthumously, after he was killed at last year's United States Grand Prix at Road America, and it has made him something of a cult figure back home, and many people are eager to see how iSport perform without their young British superstar. Pundits also want to see how the cheaper Grand Prix fares against Formula One this season, with the FIA sanctioned event establishing new rules that theoretically should produce better racing, not to mention lower costs. For many, the damage has been already done, but Grand Prix is not without its losses. Pre-Qualifying effectively wiped out the chances of many new teams with big ambitions last season, and Grand Prix is now left with only 12 teams this season, more than the 10 in 2011, but far less than the 16 in 2012. Lauda has abolished pre-qualifying, but has introduced the 107% rule, so do expect some underperformers to pay the price. The points system has also reverted to the 10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1 used in 2011.

The latest draft of the GP calendar was given out to team bosses in Australia, although the dates were not thought to be in any way definitive. The list included 17 races, but it was almost certain that Swedish Grand Prix at Anderstop would be dropped, following poor attendance last season. And so it was, the following calendar was released by the RDA, confirming that the season will once again start at Brands Hatch. Anderstop is gone, while the boring EuroSpeedway Lausitz has been replaced by the Nurburgring, after months of negotiating. The track in Nurburg was due to host an F1 race this year, but due to 'financial issues', the FIA took it off the calendar. Of course, financial issues is simply the fact that Bernie Ecclestone doesn't see the track as 'profitable' anymore. Well, that's Niki Lauda's gain. Other than that, new tracks in the form of the Durban street circuit, Imola, Hermanos Rodríguez and Raul Boesel will hopefully bring some more excitement, with the 'new' Imola largely resembling the track that took the lives of Ayrton Senna and Roland Ratzenberger in 1994.

2013 Grand Prix Calendar

Code: Select all

March 10 Brands Hatch (UNITED KINGDOM)

March 31 Paul Ricard (FRANCE)

April 07 Zolder (BELGIUM)

April 21 Imola (ITALY)

May 05 Zandvoort (NETHERLANDS)

May 19 Nurburgring (GERMANY)

June 02 Algarve Portimao (PORTUGAL)

June 16 Jerez (SPAIN)

June 30 Mont-Tremblant (CANADA)

July 14 Road America (UNITED STATES)

July 28 Hermanos Rodríguez (MEXICO)

August 04 Circuito Raul Boesel (BRAZIL)

August 25 Sentul (INDONESIA)

September 09 Adelaide (AUSTRALIA)

September 22 Durban (SOUTH AFRICA)

October 20 Motegi (JAPAN)

What Now For Chip Ganassi?

Chip Ganassi launched his 2013 Grand Prix challenger last week in New York and claimed that this year his team is going to become a consistent challenger to ART and iSport. "Our target has to be to make progress," Ganassi said, "Last year was very good, we had a few wins and Dario was in the hunt, but this year we want both drivers challenging the big 3 (ART, iSport, Mugen-Honda) more consistently." The CG2013 chassis is the work of a team of Chip Ganassi engineers led by Malcolm Oastler. It is an evolution of Oastler's CG2012 but has a lot of detailed improvements, notably with the aerodynamics and the gearbox. The car features a smaller Ford engine, with a lower center of gravity.

The car will be raced this year by Dario Franchitti and Scott Dixon who are both eager to get into action. "We have to be realistic," said Franchitti, "But I, and the others are extremely confident with the car. Last year was quite satisfying, and this year I expect the team to be challenging for wins much more." The team has retained its support from Target, T-Mobile and MasterCard. Texaco will increase its involvement, with the company's stickers now featured on the front wing as well as the engine cover. Ganassi did not comment on a test driver. "We don't see a test driver as important. As long as Dario and Scott are willing to do the job themselves, we wont need one."

Villeneuve's Struggle For Life

When you look at it on paper, the Durango-Villeneuve team does not appear to have much of a competitive future. The team's first season was 'good', to say the least, but 2012 was, to put it short, an utter disaster. Jacques Villeneuve probably isn't extremely happy with his team's performance last season, but it seems the Canadian has done the right thing, and hung up his helmet. Villeneuve will be focusing purely on management this season. But although he still has the support of Bell Canada, many other sponsors have pulled out, and unless Jacques can muscle up some cash, the team looks to be stuck, not going up, or down, but just stuck. The team can rely on television money from the RDA which will be worth about $15m. While the RDA pays for engine costs, should an engine cost over $30m, the RDA are only accountable for 50% of that. Villeneuve is interested in Mugen engines, but the Japanese company is looking reluctant to give engines, and if they will, it will probably come at a price. Needless to say, Jacques' team has a car, but he doesn't have an engine. Redesigning the rear end is easy, but if he doesn't get a deal done in 2 weeks, its going to look disastrous, not to mention the team doesn't even have a second driver yet.

Whatever it is, Jacques wants his team to start winning again, or at least start scoring again, but to do that, he's going to need a better engine, and a better chassis. The 2013 challenger has been designed by former Toyota man Pascal Vasselon, and a Mugen engine should finish the package nicely.

Who Is Where?

With 2 months to go before the start of the 2013 Grand Prix Season at Brands Hatch, Britain, there are only two drives still officially open in the Grand Prix field, which will comprise 12 teams fielding 24 cars. These two vacancies are not hugely relevant as neither Villeneuve nor Coloni is expected to make much of an impression at the front of the grid. In all probability Villeneuve will decide to continue with Canadian Daniel Morad as team-mate for the recently-confirmed Christian Klien. The only other serious candidate for the drive is Spaniard Dani Clos, but although I don't mean to offend him, who would want a 'killer' in their team?

The situation with the second Coloni seat is equally clear-cut. Esteban Gutiérrez has worked with the team for the last year and has a lot of GP experience. Coloni's only current signing is Estonian youngster Kevin Korjus, who has very little experience in GP and has the reputation for being a bit of a wild man. To sign anyone other than Gutiérrez would be a less than sensible move unless there was a driver of equal talent with more money available, and that does not seem to be the case. Title sponsors Benetton does not seem to have any direct choice for a driver, and although they don't seem to mind anybody, an Italian driver would keep them happy, and at the moment, only Davide Valsecchi is available, and he didn't impress last season.

Code: Select all

HSBC iSport International Renault (UK)
0) Valtteri Bottas (FIN)
2) Sebastian Buemi (SUI)

Carrefour ART Grand Prix Peugeot (FRA)
3) Giedo van der Garde (NED)
4) Romain Grosjean (FRA)

Canon Mugen-Honda Team (JPN)
5) Loic Duval (FRA)
6) Takuma Sato (JPN)

Target Chip Ganassi Racing Ford (USA)
7) Dario Franchitti (UK)
8) Scott Dixon (AUS)

Alcatel-Lucent DAMS Peugeot (FRA)
9) Jules Bianchi (FRA)
10) Jean-Eric Vergne (FRA)

Ubisoft Rapax Zytek (ITA)
11) Pastor Maldonado (VEN)
12) Luca Filippi (ITA)

Champion Epsilon Euskadi Porsche (ESP)
14) Andy Soucek (ESP)
15) Jolyon Palmer (UK)

Benetton Scuderia Coloni Zytek (ITA)
16) TBC
17) Kevin Korjus (EST)

Deutsche Post Porsche (GER)
18) Christian Vietoris (GER)
19) Jérôme d'Ambrosio (BEL)

Bell Canada Durango-Villeneuve (CAN)
20) Christian Klien (AUT)
21) TBC

Virgin Racing Porsche (UK)
22) Timo Glock (GER)
23) Alexander Sims (UK)

Stefan Grand Prix Zytek (SRB)
24) Jean Karl Vernay (FRA)
25) Bertrand Baguette (BEL)

In the end, all will be known when the cavalcade arrives at Brands Hatch for the season opener. We'll just have to wait and see.
Last edited by Jeroen Krautmeir on 02 Oct 2010, 12:51, edited 5 times in total.

tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Just for the record, I count Jules Bianchi as Belgian (family ties, and all that...).

watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

I think it's about time that Robert Wickens makes the step up to the the Villeneuve Racing team...
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Jeroen Krautmeir

NEW CARS EVERYWHERE
By Andrew Van de Burgt

The last week has seen the appearance of a series of 2013 Grand Prix cars with the presentation of the ART 03, the iSport IS-2013, the Epsilon Euskadi EE13 and the first appearance of the Chip Ganassi CG2013. ART launched the ART 03 on Saturday and, having told the world last year that it was going to win the World Championship, decided this year to adopt a rather more humble attitude and so deliberately played down Giedo van der Garde's chances of victory. The ART 03 is a development of the ART 02 which took van der Garde to the runner-up position in the Championship last season. It is similar in appearance to last year's car but according to ART Chief Designer Loic Bigois, it is quite different due to a considerable amount of detailed development work. "We concentrated our efforts on weight reduction in order to improve weight distribution and work on the center of gravity," explained Bigois. "We then looked at the aerodynamic efficiency, the power and reliability of the A32 engine, the gearbox and the suspension." The result, according to technical director Henri Durand, is a totally new car. "Although an evolution the ART 02 is a completely new car," said Durand. "We've improved aerodynamic efficiency and stability but most importantly we've worked on enhancing all its components and have managed to reduce its total weight by about 20kgs." The new car will begin serious testing this week with runs scheduled at Magny-Cours and at Charade.

iSport unveiled its new car in London at the start of the week. The IS-2013 features nearly no resemblance to the IS-2012, with the new car featuring an exceptionally high nose, along with a seemingly small fuel tank. How this will affect strategy, nobody was able to comment. The IS-2013 is completely new and with new backing from Hewlett-Packard, Lear and Castrol. One notable change is the choice of engine, with Paul Jackson persuading Renault to supply new V10 engines to the team. The move comes after the RenaultF1 Team pulled out of the competition, and the company has certainly looked keen on entering Grand Prix for some time now. iSport will be the only team with Renault engines this season, and should be able to benefit from the company's vast experience in motorsport. The news is not good for Peugeot powered teams such as ART, who have until now, had the dominant engine. A French Engine War would be good for competition, but it might just send prices skyrocketing.

Epsilon Euskadi revealed its EE13 in Barcelona on the same day with Joan Villadelprat and Sergio Rinland both underlining that the intention with the EE13 was to build a basic and reliable car which can be developed in the course of the season. The EE13 is the design of Rinland although a great deal of emphasis has been placed on aerodynamics. The team has come up with some interesting new sidepods which Villadelprat expects will be widely copied by other teams. A team led by John Travis was responsible for most of the front end work, including the suspension design, which is based on Rinland's revolutionary twin-keel. Villadelprat says that he would like to see his cars battling with DAMS and Mugen-Honda this year but says that he expects another big jump in performance in the year 2014 as the team's investment in new technology begins to pay off. The team revealed several new partnerships at the launch with new deals involving the telecommunications company Abengoa, and the French company BIC.

Mugen-Honda are expected to reveal their new car in a few days time, and so are DAMS.

WICKENS TO VILLENEUVE?

Independent Category star Robert Wickens may be on the verge of signing a deal with Villeneuve Racing. The Canadian had been linked with many teams after his successful 2012 season in which he once again beat Robbie Kerr by some margin to win the Independent Category. Wickens was unable to comment, but Villeneuve is said to be interested in his fellow countryman's services. The roster for the Independent Category this season has not been finalized, which means Wickens can still sign a deal, as long as its before next Wednesday, when the roster is scheduled to be released. Should Wickens be signed alongside Christian Klien, it would mean that Daniel Morad will have to make way, and this wouldn't go down well with Morad who was pretty confident he would be re-signed by the team.

The other seat which remains empty is the second drive at Coloni. Mexican Esteban Gutiérrez confirmed on Mexican television that he will be driving for the Italian team this year, as team-mate to Estonian Kevin Korjus. The team has yet to confirm the news but it is logical as Gutiérrez has substantial backing, and has also been with the team since its first season. It is also a good move for the team because Mexican interest in Grand Prix racing has received a major boost in recent weeks with the confirmation of the Mexican Grand Prix which is scheduled for July 28. Until the news is official, however, one has to be careful as Paolo Coloni might go for Davide Valsecchi, who might be able to muscle some extra cash from title sponsors Benetton.

CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

I'm really enjoying it. If you can find it in you to put in the effort, I for one like it a lot. :D
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Jeroen Krautmeir

This enough effort for you Carlos? :)

VILLENEUVE CONFIRMS WICKENS, MONTEIRO FOR COLONI?
By Andrew Van de Burgt

Jacques Villeneuve has announced that Robert Wickens will be one of its drivers this season. The Canadian brings major backing from Canadian utilities company Hydro-Québec, which has been supporting the young Canadian's successful career. The company is a government owned equity, and the funds that Wickens bring are rumoured to be somewhere in the region of $8 Million a year. The team launched the Villeneuve JVD-3 yesterday, which has been designed by Pascal Vasselon, who has returned to the team after leaving in 2012 for sports cars. Rumours are that Villeneuve is considering a switch to Mugen-Honda engines for the upcoming season. The JVD-3 has been designed with the Zytek GP Z-3 3.0 V10 in mind, but a deal can still be done. All that needs to be done is to redesign the rear end of the car to fit the engine. Villeneuve can afford to negotiate, as the Zytek engines are free, and should a deal with Mugen fail, the Zytek units will be there as a backup. "We're considering using Mugen units, that's all I can say at the moment," commented Villeneuve at the car launch.

Meanwhile, Esteban Gutiérrez and Tiago Monteiro are fighting it out for the second seat at Scuderia Coloni. While Monteiro might not be an obvious choice from a racing point of view, having last raced in open wheelers in 2006 for the MidlandF1 Team. Monteiro now races in the World Touring Car Championship, but the Portuguese has plenty of sponsors backing him. Gutiérrez has been in GP since its inaugural season, and has been with the team from the very beginning, but he seems to have caused some friction by calling the team "not good enough". Whether or not that's enough to convince Paolo Coloni to give the Mexican the sack is unknown, but he wouldn't mind some cash, though he'd probably have to sacrifice some talent.

Monteiro was the name on everyone's lips as this has now become another battle of the FIA and the RDA. Should Coloni sign Monteiro, it would mean alot not only for Coloni in financial terms, but for the RDA in publicity terms. The spectators at Algarve Portimao will finally have someone to cheer on, not to mention the RDA 'stealing' some more FIA treasure. But Coloni engineers will also be arguing that it would be wiser for Coloni to find a driver with experience. While Monteiro has indeed been in motorsport for some time now, Gutiérrez is well known amongst the team, and so would have no problem in the short term. However, technical director Jörg Zander has complained that Gutiérrez is, "a man who knows what the problem is, but wont say what it is." In other words, the Mexican's feedback is terrible, and Coloni might want to take the risk and hire Monteiro. We understand that Tiago has been talking with his current employers SEAT. If he stays at SEAT he will continue to earn around $4 Million a year, but should he move to Coloni, we'd expect that amount to rise to $6 Million a year. Bare in mind that 25% of that will be payed by the RDA.

One curious rumor we heard recently was that Takuma Sato has not actually signed his Mugen-Honda contract, although a deal has been announced by the team, and that Coloni may be trying to lure Takuma to their team. This would make little sense as Coloni would have to pay 75% of the $15 Million that Sato earns.

TESTS AT MAGNY-COURS AND SILVERSTONE

There were two Grand Prix tests last week with iSport and ART in action at Magny-Cours and Epsilon Euskadi, Chip Ganassi and Mugen-Honda running at Silverstone. iSport went to Magny-Cours with two of the new IS-2013 chassis and so Valtteri Bottas and Sebastian Buemi were able to work side by side in the new cars for the two-day test. Bottas ended up fastest but completed only 50 laps because of bad weather on the second day. He set a best lap of 1:13.442 on the first day of the test. Buemi did 70 laps to record a best of 1:13.855. ART stayed on for an extra day but the weather was bad on Friday. Grosjean did the first two days of the test in the new ART 03 and completed a promising 100 laps with a best of 1:13.610 before handing over to Giedo van der Garde on the final day. He did 78 laps of wet weather running and set a best lap of 1:22.012. The team also tested Robin Frijns all three days in the old ART 02 and completed 92 laps with a best of 1:15.421.

There was quite a bit of politics prior to the Silverstone test. RDA rules state that GP cars are not allowed to race on F1 tracks. Epsilon, Chip and Mugen argued that they weren't racing, but rather, testing. Eventually, the RDA allowed the test to go ahead, but Niki Lauda is looking at changing the rules a bit. At Silverstone, Epsilon Euskadi, Chip Ganassi and Mugen-Honda were testing with Dario Franchitti kicking off the action with three laps on the circuit. The following day, his teammate Scott Dixon joined him on track. Euskadi was also in action with two EE13 chassis and by the end of the two days of running Andy Soucek was third fastest, having set a best lap of 1:18.851 after 95 laps. Jolyon Palmer ran just the first of the two days, missing the second because his car needed a gearbox changed. The Brit's best lap was 1:19.544. Franchitti emerged the faster of the two Chip Ganassi drivers. He completed around 80 laps with a best time of 1:18.444 while Dixon did 50 laps in the new car to record a best of 1:18.810. Mugen-Honda ran Loic Duval on the first day of the test and Takuma Sato on the second. The French driver completed 45 laps with a best lap of 1:19.627 while the Japanese did only 20 laps with a best of 1:20.335.

THE SEASON AHEAD- 2013

What can we expect this year in Grand Prix? Well, that is not an easy thing to predict. You can try to analyze winter testing times but this is a dangerous course of action. As Grand Prix becomes more and more of a media circus, and teams increasingly adopt the belief that any publicity is good publicity, the times set in testing prove nothing. Running cars underweight is illegal, but running a car extremely light on fuel is not, and fast lap times will always make a big splash in newspapers and other media. At the same time, other teams deliberately do not set fast laps in testing, hoping to lull the opposition into a false sense of security. This means that we will not really know what to expect until after the race at Brands Hatch. One thing that can be predicted, however, is that the racing is going to be closer this year. Lap times are expected to differ by 2 seconds, and Zytek have announced that its new V10 will be closer in power to the works engines of Peugeot, Renault, Mugen-Honda, Ford and Porsche. No team will have a works Zytek engine this season, after iSport decided to ditch its partner in favour of Renault, who became available after bailing out of Formula 1.

Ask the engineers what is most important to have a fast car in Grand Prix and they will say: engine, aerodynamics and driver. The really smart ones will say that, mechanical grip is going to be more important than brute horsepower, because horsepower is no good if you cannot transfer it to the road. This explains why there has been such intensive work on differentials and close-to-the-limit electronic systems in recent months. But the most important element in GP remains a very basic one. Pure horsepower. You can do well if you have it but you will not necessarily win. If you don't have it, you are not going to win. And so one must expect to see ART and iSport up at the front, once again. Expect Zytek to be much closer to the Peugeot engines, and, while saying that, the Renault ones. Porsche have been quite secretive about their GP program so far, with all of their testing being done privately at Lausitz.

ART had some early delays in the ART 03 development program but these have been overcome. The car has been tested considerably more than all the other new cars. Almost all of that testing has been done by Giedo van der Garde. The car should be reliable and if it is within half a second of pole position at a race, one must expect that van der Garde will win the race. He makes the difference and everyone in GP knows it, even if they don't want to admit it. It will be interesting to see what happens if the ART is not as competitive as it should be. If he doesn't win the championship this season, I can see him giving up ART at the end of the year and going to iSport, or, perhaps even Chip Ganassi. ART don't have a number one driver, or at least that's what they say. While upgrades were given at the same time last season, its worth noting that most attention was given to the Dutchman.

The number one status at iSport is another matter. Sebastian Buemi showed some moments of very real brilliance last year, but how he manages without his mentor Adam Carroll, is another factor altogether. Buemi will need to perform this season, but being outpaced by Valtteri Bottas during the test sessions isn't such a smart idea. If the Swiss doesn't buck up soon, iSport might just back the Finnish rookie wholeheartedly, and with Buemi's contract expiring at the end of the season, he might just be replaced by a certain van der Garde person.

It will be interesting to see how things develop along these lines at Mugen-Honda. Takuma Sato is supposed to be the number one driver but Loic Duval may be the more naturally talented of the two, and Taku will have to work to keep him down. Both men are tougher than they used to be, so it could be an interesting showdown. Certainly the MH team finds itself in an interesting situation. The potential is clearly there for the team to win races but when one looks realistically at the situation, there is not much logic in Mugen pushing themselves too hard this year.

At Chip Ganassi, Dario Franchitti is going to have to work hard to stay ahead of Scott Dixon. Dixon is eager to prove himself to Chip, and his performances during the second half of 2012 show that he probably has much more than that. One could say that he tried too hard early on, but eventually, he found the rhythm, culminating in a win in Adelaide, though it must be pointed out that nobody had actually raced on the track before. Franchitti is a good steady, confident, fast driver, and he has already made it clear that he wants the championship. Scott may be quicker in qualifying but there are not many to match Franchitti when it comes to racing.

At Epsilon Euskadi, Andy Soucek and Jolyon Palmer are ready for some success. They will become itchy and frustrated if the results are not better this year, or at least Soucek, who has been frustrated time after time with poor machinery. The Spaniard had actually gone on to attribute his feats in 2012 to the Porsche engine instead of the EE12 chassis, and if Epsilon want him, then this year better be an improvement. Jolyon Palmer may find the quick life of Grand Prix a bit too fast, and he might be running back to Formula 2 if things go badly for him. His father, Jonathan, should be able to give some sort of advice, for the better hopefully.

We will have to see what happens with Porsche. The team now claims that its chassis and engine is far superior to anybody elses, despite the fact that all their testing has been done in secret, with no published times. Last season's pole was a 1:16.777 courtesy of the late Adam Carroll, so if Porsche are telling the truth, then the P1 (funnily enough) should be somewhere in the late 1:13's. But pundits are suggesting it's all big talk. Porsche have only made 3 tests public, all at the same venue, although the team has used all configurations of the Lausitz for different components testing. If the German team has done more testing than it says, then they should have done as much miles as ART and DAMS (who have both done 9 tests at Magny-Cours and Charade). If they really have done only 3, then their on par with iSport and Mugen-Honda, but far less than Chip Ganassi, Epsilon Euskadi, Rapax, Coloni and even Stefan. Maybe they should just tell what's going on now, because failure in Britain, will be a big PR disaster, no matter what the truth.

Rapax seems a little stagnant at the moment but they do have customer Ford engines, which became available after Team Penske decided to run away after an embarrassing debut. Chip certainly kicked his American rival right in the arse. Pastor Maldonado would really appreciate it if he had a slightly better car, and a better teammate. Luca Filippi might just fit the bill, but as long as he scores a few points, he should be safe. Something Lucas di Grassi could never do.

Virgin will be worth watching. Any team with lots of money and Nick Wirth involved should not be overlooked. If you are looking for surprises I think Virgin is a good bet. The team needed a good kicking at the end of last year and, to its credit, it has made changes, even if they have had to be disguised so as not to dent too many egos. Whether these are the right changes is another question. Expect some good finishes if the cars are reliable, and watch out for Jérôme d'Ambrosio because in a good car he is going to be very fast.

I think Stefan will be worse than it has been now that they've lost Christian Klien. You have to admire the Serbian team's determination, but even in my wildest dreams, I cannot imagine more than a World Championship point on occasion. Jean Karl Vernay and Bertrand Baguette make for an inexperienced pair, and that wouldn't sound like a wise thing to do, considering Stefan themselves are lost in the woods, especially after their disqualification last season.
Last edited by Jeroen Krautmeir on 02 Oct 2010, 23:59, edited 1 time in total.

tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Very good imagination, and an exciting read, but I think you'll find that Dixon comes from New Zealnd ;) .

Jeroen Krautmeir

tommykl wrote:Very good imagination, and an exciting read, but I think you'll find that Dixon comes from New Zealnd ;) .

Le Sigh. I blame the similarities of their flags. :x

Jeroen Krautmeir

Long story short, Monteiro gets Coloni seat, and brings along many Portuguese sponsors along. Villeneuve fails to get the Mugen-Honda engines, and so the Zytek's are fitted instead. Time for Race 1!

Friday Practice

One practice session was held on Friday, with all cars taking part in the 2 hour session. Dario Franchitti was first on track, and topped the timesheets for most of the session before the iSport-Renault cars came on track. Buemi led Bottas out, but the Swiss came in after just 1 lap with gearbox problems. The situation was worse for ART, who couldn't get both cars out on track for some time, with the team still sorting out gearbox gremlins in Romain Grosjean's car, with his teammate Giedo van der Garde facing similar problems. In the meantime, the two Chip Ganassi's topped the timesheets, followed closely Andy Soucek in the Epsilon Euskadi. Bottas was only fourth, while in fifth was the Virgin-Porsche of Belgian Jerome D'Ambrosio, who edged out Loic Duval's Mugen-Honda. Rookie Jean Karl Vernay stopped on track 1 hour into the session when his transmission broke. Buemi finally made it on track, and his first flying lap resulted in the Swiss splitting the two Chip Ganassis, with Franchitti still ahead. With less than an hour left to go, the two ART's exited the pitlane for the first time, but Grosjean nearly hit the wall, while van der Garde experienced handling problems. Further back, Tiago Monteiro was struggling with his Coloni, and was last, with Baguette a full second ahead of the Portuguese driver. van der Garde finally managed a proper lap, and flew to take 1st, beating Franchitti by 5 thousandths of a second.

Qualifying

After ten minutes, Palmer was the first to go out and set a time, followed by Bianchi who was marginally quicker on his fourth consecutive fast lap. After that, Soucek took over first place, until the iSports came out. Bottas made a mistake and spoiled his first run, but then took a firm lead with a time of 1:13.548. Buemi was two-tenths slower and spun off into the gravel, but was able to continue. Vietoris was third fastest for a moment but was beaten by Soucek and van der Garde, who improved his time to 1:14.627. Buemi's next attack on Bottas' provisional pole time failed by one thousandth of a second. Two laps later he did it, with a time of 1:13.315, but Bottas countered in the final minute and took the pole position with 1:12.821, nearly half a second faster than Buemi. Soucek's fourth place behind Romain Grosjean was impressive. van der Garde had been on course to take pole position, but weird handling problems struck on his last lap, and he could only improve to 1:14.511, miles away from Dario Franchitti's Chip Ganassi in 5th, and only enough to edge out D'Ambrosio who took an impressive 6th place in the Virgin. 7th was Vietoris in the Porsche, followed by Dixon in the Chip Ganassi. Duval was 9th, while Jolyon Palmer rounded off the top 10.

Race

Valtteri Bottas and and Sebastian Buemi had dominated qualifying with their Renault engine, but it was widely agreed that ART would have taken the front row had it not been for various mechanical problems. The formation lap started without incidents but as the cars exited Stirlings Bend, Jolyon Palmer committed an embarrassing rookie mistake when he over-accelerated and put his car in the barriers. Palmer rushed back to the pitlane as the team got the spare car ready, but Joan Villadelprat was visibly unhappy with the reigning Formula 2 champion.

Bottas made good use of his pole position at the race start and took the lead, followed closely by Buemi. van der Garde meanwhile had pounced on Franchitti at the start, and forced Soucek off track at Paddock Hill to take fourth. Further back Pastor Maldonado immediately slowed to a stop with a broken gearbox, while Wickens made a good start from eleventh on the grid and tried to pass Takuma Sato at Westfield. Sato was unaware of the Canadian's presence, and was caught off guard when Wickens dived in in a 'Kamikaze move'. While the iSport cars pulled clear of the rest of the field, van der Garde was in no mood to be stuck behind his teammate, and on lap 11, he passed the Frenchman at Druids. After 13 laps Bottas and Buemi were leading van der Garde by 22 seconds when Buemi took the chicane at Dingle Dell Corner too hard, damaging his suspension and sending him spinning into the wall.

A few laps later, van der Garde set the fastest lap, and Bottas was running noticeably slower. Grosjean was still third, and ART were definitely telling him to hold up Franchitti and Soucek, with the Frenchman more than a full second slower than Franchitti. Robert Wickens was on a stormer, and had jumped 6 places from 11th to run in 6th. and by lap 19, was the third car being held up by Grosjean. Up ahead, van der Garde had caught up with Bottas, who was moving extremely slowly. As the two cars entered Paddock Hill, van der Garde passed Bottas with seemingly no effort. On the next lap, Bottas' car ground to a halt, with what would later be identified as a hydraulics failure. At almost the same time, the pitstops began taking place. van der Garde was in a firm first place, and rejoined in first. The train of Grosjean, Franchitti and Soucek continued, and they all came in at the same time. Franchitti was out in less than 8 seconds, but Soucek's rear left wheel wouldn't budge, while Grosjean stalled his car. These incidents allowed Wickens in the Villeneuve to move up to third place. Soucek eventually got going, ableit in 8th place. Unfortunately for Grosjean, his car failed to restart, and it was game over for the Frenchman.

By lap 45, van der Garde had a 44 second lead over second placed Franchitti. Franchitti was playing it easy, with third placed Wickens a full 14 seconds further back, while teammate Scott Dixon lay in fourth. Sadly, the New Zealander's car stopped with a gearbox failure. This promoted Timo Glock in the Virgin to fourth, but Jolyon Palmer was driving a fantastic race, the Brit being where he was due to the retirements of others. Soucek however, was on a charge. Having passed the two Porsche's, the Spaniard found himself behind Palmer, but the British rookie committed another error when he took Clark too fast, grazing the wall, and damaging his suspension. Glock's Virgin was powered by the same Porsche V10, but the VR-04 was no match for the EE13, and Soucek gained a place at Hawthorn Bend. Next on the hitlist was Jerome D'Ambrosio's Virgin, but with less than 15 laps left, Soucek was too far to create a realistic challenge. van der Garde began cruising, and took the checkered flag a full 50 seconds ahead of Franchitti.

Drivers Standings (TOP 5 ONLY)
1) Giedo van der Garde- 10
2) Dario Franchitti- 8
3) Robert Wickens- 6
4) Jerome D'Ambrosio- 5
5) Andy Soucek- 4

Independent Drivers Standings (TOP 5 ONLY)
1) Robbie Kerr- 10
2) Marko Asmer- 8
3) Daniel Ricciardo- 6
4) Kevin Magnussen- 5
5) Alex Brundle- 4

Constructors Standings (TOP 5 ONLY)
1) ART-Peugeot- 10
2) Chip Ganassi Ford- 8
3) Villeneuve-Zytek- 6
4) Virgin-Porsche- 5
5) Epsilon Euskadi Porsche- 4

Post-Race Press Conference

Q: Giedo, it's your eight win for ART, your first win of the season, and your first win since August 2012. You made it look easy, but how did it really feel, from the cockpit itself?
GvdG: Of course, things looked very easy from the outside. But I can definitely assure you that it was a hard job. The start was perfect, and I was actually scared that I had jumped the start! But all I did was race on, so I managed to jump Dario at the start, then Andy was ahead, so I took the inside and continued accelerating. That was already very hard, and I am pretty sure Andy and I touched wheels once. Em, from then on, it was probably quite easy. Romain gave me no problems, and he backed me up excellently, and I have to thank him for that! Obviously, the iSport cars retired on their own, and that is good news for us (ART and van der Garde), but not for them! So yeah, the beginning was very tough, but from there on, I just had to pace myself correctly.

Q: When you came in for your first stop, the tyres looked severely blistered. How exactly were you able to keep running at a good pace for so long?
GvdG: Well, yeah, I overworked the tyres very early on, and was braking hard many times. But in the first few laps, I had to brake hard and lock up a few times, because there was practically no heat in the, em, tyres. How I kept the car running, well, when I passed Romain, the team decided that my tyres, as well as my brakes, would not survive a dogfight with the iSport cars, so I set the fastest lap, then slowed. But of course, Sebastian crashed out, and then Valtteri had problems. I was not aware of Sebastian's problem, but was notified that Valtteri was not far, and he was running slow. So, I just maintained pace, but continued locking up the brakes, as the front tyres were still pretty cold. I had no problems with the new tyres, and I am thankful for that.

Q: So you're already a GP Champion, first Double Champion?
GvdG: I don’t want to talk about what might happen or what might not happen, but the fact is that I love the sport and may I keep going as long as I love it.

Q: Dario, another great drive, two podium finishes in a row.
DF: It’s fantastic, it really is. This one was a little bit more difficult. Starting fifth wasn’t the best position for me. I was a little bit disappointed because I think we had too much understeer in the car, which lost me quite a bit of time in qualifying. I was lucky that Giedo was further back, of course that made no difference as he was already ahead when the lights went out! (laughs, and pats van der Garde)

Q: Robert! You have been absolutely startling in the Independent Category, and it looks like you seem to be just as good in the big one. How does it feel?
RW: Well it feels absolutely fantastic! First of all, I have to thank Jacques for giving me the drive in the first place. The car was great, and I managed to pass Taku. Of course it cost him his race, but I will apologize to him after this. It was racing, and that is what happens. From there on, I just wanted to get the job done, and I think I've done it, in good fashion I might add.

TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Wickens to win the Canadian Grand Prix. You heard it here first :D
Jeroen Krautmeir

Friday Practice

As the teams arrived at Paul Ricard on Thursday morning, they were greeted with a thunderstorm, that didn't halt until late that night. The practice session was held in wet but drying weather conditions. During the session, Giedo van der Garde set the fastest time with a 1:50.300, with Andy Soucek in a strong second, setting a time of 1:50.459. Romain Grosjean was third with 1:50.516, fourth was Robert Wickens in the Villeneuve, while Jerome D'Ambrosio in the Virgin completed the top 5 with a time of 1:50.788. Both iSport cars struggled in the damp conditions, with Bottas managing 8th and Buemi in 11th. Several cars crashed during the session, including Jean Karl Vernay in the Stefan, who took Bendor too fast, writing off the chassis in the process.

Qualifying

Qualifying was dominated by another storm that literally flooded the circuit, but despite this, the session proceeded as usual, but cars were sliding off everywhere. Giedo van der Garde was in charge for the first few minutes with a 2:00.421, but Valtteri Bottas outdid his rival by 4 tenths of a second for 2:00.001, good enough for pole. Alex Brundle in his Dallara then crashed heavily at Signes, sending the front tyres sheering off along with the suspension. The debris narrowly missed Dario Franchitti in the Chip Ganassi, but it punched a hole in his airbox, and remained stuck there as he drove back to the pits. Alexander Sims in the Porsche spun off, while van der Garde stopped on track with a hydraulics problem. This prevented him from snatching pole, as he was on a flyer at the time. Sebastian Buemi eventually found the courage to push, and found himself behind his teammate on 2:00.042. Andy Soucek had set a time of 2:00.111 for third, while Romain Grosjean set a conservative laptime good enough for 4th on the grid. Jerome D'Ambrosio was fifth with 2:00.398, with the disappointed van der Garde in sixth. Scott Dixon outdid his teammate for the first time, as Franchitti was forced to use the spare car for qualifying, which did not include updates brought to the track. Timo Glock pushed hard enough for 9th, while Jolyon Palmer edged out Robert Wickens for another tenth on the grid.

Race

The race was extremely wet, and van der Garde was fastest in the warm-up session. Soucek make an excellent start to take the lead of a Grand Prix race for the first time. Buemi fell back to midfield during the chaos, and Grosjean battled for position at the first corner, where Bottas very nearly lost control of the car. Also during the first lap, Scott Dixon and Jolyon Palmer collided, with Palmer slamming into the barriers, while Dixon continued to retire his car in the pitlane. Soucek continued to lead the race, but Bottas and Grosjean were catching up at high speed. Dario Franchitti had made up ground to end up 4th by the end of the 3rd lap, and had Giedo van der Garde behind him. Soucek maintained a 5 second lead over Bottas, with Grosjean all over the gearbox of the Finnish rookie. Further back on lap 11, Buemi spun off at Chicane, and Pastor Maldonado proceeded to slam into the stricken iSport. With the two vehicles on the edge of the track, the safety car was deployed in order for the marshals to remove it safely. Several cars came in to the pits, including Kevin Korjus' Coloni. The Estonian however rammed into his teammate Tiago Monteiro who was also in for his pitstop. This caused extreme problems in the pitlane, as the Coloni mechanics struggled to get their cars out of the way.

Soucek held on to his lead as the safety car entered the pits, while van der Garde got the jump on Franchitti. James Calado's Dallara was the next car to spin off, as he tried to overtake Kevin Magnussen's car at Tour. By lap 22, the order was Soucek-Bottas-Grosjean-van der Garde-Franchitti-Wickens-Bianchi-Vietoris. van der Garde had by now caught up with his French teammate, but Grosjean was by no means going to let Giedo through like in Brands Hatch. van der Garde formed the last of 4 cars battling for 1st, with Franchitti some distance behind, fighting to defend his position from Robert Wickens' Villeneuve. Jean Karl Vernay retired on lap 29 with electrical problems, and his teammate Bertrand Baguette soon followed his French partner into retirement with an engine failure. van der Garde remained 4th, but in a rare mistake, he misjudged his braking and was sent sliding off track at Signes, grazing the barrier. He did keep the engine running, but was in for a new nosecone which took 12 seconds. Franchitti was now up to fourth, with Wickens fifth, but the fairytale was all over for Soucek, who retired with a gearbox failure. Bottas took the lead, but was soon in for fuel, and Grosjean took provisional first. The Frenchman, along with Franchitti and Wickens were soon in for their stops, and Bottas retook first position. van der Garde had lost a lot of time, but he was now setting fastest lap after fastest lap. Takuma Sato soon aquaplaned into the barriers on lap 34, and Alexander Sims' Porsche followed suit. van der Garde now found himself behind crowd favourite Jules Bianchi, who was not making it easy for the Dutchman to overtake.

Up front, Bottas and Grosjean began pulling away from Franchitti and Wickens, whom had closed the gap to 4 seconds on the previous lap. Probably knowing he was not fast enough to catch the two men in front of him, Franchitti concentrated on blocking Wickens, who was determined to snatch another podium. Wickens' teammate, Christian Klien, was not so lucky, the Austrian suffering a gearbox problem. van der Garde finally passed Bianchi on lap 42, but the least he could hope for was for Franchitti and Wickens to retire, as the two were by now 30 seconds ahead of van der Garde, with 11 laps to go. Jerome D'Ambrosio had made up for some early mistakes, and was now in 7th, and Christian Vietoris was 8th for Porsche. The top 8 would stay as Bottas-Grosjean-Franchitti-Wickens-van der Garde-Bianchi-D'Ambrosio-Vietoris, with the Championship just getting that little more exciting, after what has to be, one of the most exciting and interesting Grand Prix races of all time.

Drivers Standings (TOP 5 ONLY)
1) Giedo van der Garde- 14
2) Dario Franchitti- 14
3) Robert Wickens- 11
4) Valtteri Bottas- 10
5) Romain Grosjean- 8

Independent Drivers Standings (TOP 5 ONLY)
1) Marko Asmer- 18
2) Daniel Ricciardo- 14
3) Robbie Kerr- 10
4) Kevin Magnussen- 5
5) Alex Brundle- 4

Constructors Standings (TOP 5 ONLY)
1) ART-Peugeot- 22
2) Chip Ganassi Ford- 14
3) Villeneuve-Zytek- 11
4) iSport-Renault- 10
5) Virgin-Porsche- 7