Proposed Indian GP Layout

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
JohnMLTX

Proposed Indian GP Layout

Post by JohnMLTX »

I'm actually surprised to say this, but it looks really, really cool.
http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2010/8/11150.html

A banked double apex corner with loads of elevation changes? This looks to be no cookie cutter Tilkedrome, it actually seems to have potential, in my opinion. What do you guys think?
ibsey wrote:Things happen in my underwear, every time I hear those Ferrari's.
TomWazzleshaw

Re: Proposed Indian GP Layout

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

I was about to call the section between turns 5 and 15 mickey mouse but the elevation changes make it look pretty damn epic (Espicially the 10/11/12 complex at the top of the hill). It almost reminds me of the middle sector at Spa.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
LionZoo

Post by LionZoo »

I don't like that the braking zone for the back straight, the longest straight on the track, is uphill. There are already complaints that cars these days brake too well and so it's hard to make up distance, and therefore attempt a pass, under braking. An uphill braking zone is just going to make that worse. I would think a downhill braking area would be what they would want...
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Wizzie wrote:I was about to call the section between turns 5 and 15 mickey mouse but the elevation changes make it look pretty damn epic (Espicially the 10/11/12 complex at the top of the hill). It almost reminds me of the middle sector at Spa.

Bear in mind that the image says 5X SUPER-ELEVATED. It's very exaggerated for the purpose of showing the elevation changes. According to a post on F1 Fanatic that quotes the organisers, the elevation changes between turns one and three will be about fourteen metres.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Captain Hammer wrote:
Wizzie wrote:I was about to call the section between turns 5 and 15 mickey mouse but the elevation changes make it look pretty damn epic (Espicially the 10/11/12 complex at the top of the hill). It almost reminds me of the middle sector at Spa.

Bear in mind that the image says 5X SUPER-ELEVATED. It's very exaggerated for the purpose of showing the elevation changes. According to a post on F1 Fanatic that quotes the organisers, the elevation changes between turns one and three will be about fourteen metres.

So THAT's what super-elevated meant... thanks for the clarification.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

I saw this blogged about a week ago & thought it gave definition to Brundle's "how much track can you get in a field" remark.
Looks slightly better in this article but it's still not really worthy of Grand Prix racing. But then it's not, it's F1.
DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

eagleash wrote:Looks slightly better in this article but it's still not really worthy of Grand Prix racing.

How can you pass judgement before you seen a lap driven in anger?
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

Captain Hammer wrote:
eagleash wrote:Looks slightly better in this article but it's still not really worthy of Grand Prix racing.

I said looks slightly better. It may provide good racing but I have my doubts. My point again is that, to me, it looks like a go kart track.
DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

eagleash wrote:
Captain Hammer wrote:

I said looks slightly better. It may provide good racing but I have my doubts. My point again is that, to me, it looks like a go kart track.

Could be worse - it could be Adria... :roll:
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Captain Hammer wrote:

I concur.
ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Post by ADx_Wales »

How can we pass judgement? Because we're obsessed with a sport with a glut of crap tracks which have made us highly judgemental......especially of tracks that look a bit like Kyalami.
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

ADx_Wales wrote:How can we pass judgement? Because we're obsessed with a sport with a glut of crap tracks which have made us highly judgemental......especially of tracks that look a bit like Kyalami.

Yeah, and with thinking all over again Abu Dhabi would be cool, only to see it was nothing special, I've learnt myself to never judge things by its appearance (a lesson which I should've learnt long ago, by the way).
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

Phoenix wrote:
Captain Hammer wrote:

I concur.

That's another problem with F1 at the moment. People are prepared to accept twiddley little tracks like this, because of money, instead of proper road racing. Doesn't matter what it drives like ADx is right, it's rubbish.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

We can say it's s**t cause we f***ing well can, that's how we can pass judgement! Screw your perfectionism, we're calling this one early.

Pergusa-Enna here we come...! (I wish)

Image Image
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

It's not as bad as Valencia and Singabore, however, I think this one could be on my "worst" five tracks in my opinion. And it's been Tilked, too! :roll: No need to explain further.
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
Kobacrashi

Post by Kobacrashi »

In my opinion it looks like a mixture of Spa and the Austrian track, i think it was the A1 ring or something. Which was in fairness not the worst track in history. Although it is a tad cheeky to show the elevations at a different scale, my guess is that the track will be about as hilly as China or maybe Malaysia, i do have some technical ability on this as i draw things like this as part of my job so not just a complete guess.

Basically i think that designing a track on a flat piece of land and trying to make it interesting is quite difficult, look for example at some of the classic tracks; Monaco, designed around a harbour, Spa on public roads and winding through forests, Melbourne around a lake and through a park even Suzuka which is on the side of a mountain/big hill. All the major features on these circuits are designed out of neccessity rather than decent work on behalf of Tilke/Generic architects. So all tracks that are made with the desire of good racing and generally not limited by space tend to be dull as without natural obsticles to avoid/negotiate they can only copy other tracks and therefore never be as good as the original.

Anyway, annoyed rant at the money grabbing direction of F1 over.
Kobayashi is back! Need I say more!
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

ADx_Wales wrote:How can we pass judgement? Because we're obsessed with a sport with a glut of crap tracks which have made us highly judgemental......especially of tracks that look a bit like Kyalami.

Despite the fact the circuit was developed with input from the teams in order to make it as good as possible?

What I fail to understand is why so many people demand changes to the circuit to make the racing "better" when it's easier and cheaper to change the cars. Once the emphasis on excessive downforce is removed, good racing should be easy to come by. Yet you insist on demnding things be done the hard way.
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

Captain Hammer wrote:

Despite the fact the circuit was developed with input from the teams in order to make it as good as possible?

What I fail to understand is why so many people demand changes to the circuit to make the racing "better" when it's easier and cheaper to change the cars. Once the emphasis on excessive downforce is removed, good racing should be easy to come by. Yet you insist on demnding things be done the hard way.

As a long term spectator, it is my view that you cannot have good racing on twiddley go-kart tracks, changes to cars not withstanding.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

eagleash wrote:
Captain Hammer wrote:

As a long term spectator, it is my view that you cannot have good racing on twiddley go-kart tracks, changes to cars not withstanding.

They should manadate a 'test' touring car race before any circuit is approved for F1. If a bunch of saloon cars can't overtake on a circuit, what hope does a Formula One car have? (I'd call it the Adria Test...the only way anyone in the FIA GT race was able to pass was by spinning out the car in front).

Image Image
RLeb

Post by RLeb »

the track totally looks like current-day Kyalami:

"The sport is more important than anything, more important than any of the people in it." - Gilles Villeneuve
Nin13

Post by Nin13 »

3D view shows that the track will not be completely flat!!
MICHAEL SCHUMACHER FAN.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Nin13 wrote:3D view shows that the track will not be completely flat!!

It won't be completely flat, but bear in mind that the picture says "5X SUPER-ELEVATED". It's exaggerated for our benefit.

And flat corners aren't neccesarily a bad thing - just look at Silverstone.
mario

Post by mario »

eagleash wrote:
Captain Hammer wrote:

Ultimately, I feel that the reality probably lies between the two. Yes, it is true that the emphasis on aerodynamics means that the loss of grip behind another car makes it much harder to pass. However, it isn't just the total amount of downforce produced which is the issue, but how that downforce is produced, and the characteristics of the wings, body and other aero pieces. The current wings, for example, were not designed with the effects of the DDD in mind, so the attempts to reduce the effects of the loss of downforce (such as the neutral section in the centre of the wing) were negated.
The point is, just cutting downforce will not necessarily make the racing better in itself if done in an arbitrary fashion - you would have to carefully choose the elements which you cut, and adjust the parameters of other elements (such as the fineness of the wings), otherwise you could find yourself no better off, and perhaps even worse off.

But, in addition, the circuits do play their role as well. If the number of passing places is restricted to only one or two obvious places, then it becomes a lot easier to defend against somebody, as you know that you only need to defend going into one particular corner, because your opponent has to follow you in single line behind you.
For example, the Hungaroring has always been a track where passing is very rare, and even when you are driving a car with a substantial performance advantage, coupled to an aggressive driver, passing is near impossible - like Ayrton Senna trying to pass Thierry Boutsen in 1990, and where a number of attempts to pass (e.g. between Senna and Nannini) lead to collisions and one driver (in this case Nannini) out of the race.
OK, that is an extreme example, but it is true that there are a number of circuits where the chance to pass is quite limited - for example, Mangy Cours (where the only real place to pass was at the hairpin - yes, I know that F1 doesn't race there now, but there are attempts to bring F1 back to the circuit), or the Nurburgring (where your best chances are either into the first hairpin, or at the chicane just before the final corner).
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Waris

Post by Waris »

This is just a thought: Maybe, after how legendary tracks of old were full of passing opportunities (I suspect this might be a bit exaggerated by our imagination, and also something to do with tracks being longer), circuit designers in the 80s and later deliberately designed circuits without many passing opportunities, in an attempt to make races exciting by forcing collisions?
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Waris wrote:This is just a thought: Maybe, after how legendary tracks of old were full of passing opportunities (I suspect this might be a bit exaggerated by our imagination, and also something to do with tracks being longer), circuit designers in the 80s and later deliberately designed circuits without many passing opportunities, in an attempt to make races exciting by forcing collisions?

If true, they should be careful for the drivers not to discover this.
Waris

Post by Waris »

Phoenix wrote:
Waris wrote:This is just a thought: Maybe, after how legendary tracks of old were full of passing opportunities (I suspect this might be a bit exaggerated by our imagination, and also something to do with tracks being longer), circuit designers in the 80s and later deliberately designed circuits without many passing opportunities, in an attempt to make races exciting by forcing collisions?

lol inb4 Prost/Senna @ Suzuka 1989/1990.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Waris wrote:
Phoenix wrote:

Or the pileup at the 1998 Belgian GP!
Waris

Post by Waris »

Phoenix wrote:
Waris wrote:
Phoenix wrote:If true, they should be careful for the drivers not to discover this.

Or the pileup at the 1998 Belgian GP!

Nah, that doesn't really count, because Spa-Francorchamps is an old track, and the cause of that crash was just weird in general and unrelated to there not being passing opportunities.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Waris wrote:
Nah, that doesn't really count, because Spa-Francorchamps is an old track, and the cause of that crash was just weird in general and unrelated to there not being passing opportunities.

And the collision between Senna and Prost was intentional, because Senna and Prost were fighting for the title, Senna scored the pole position, but he was starting from the dirt side of the track and FIA didn't let him exercise his right to choose the pole position side. Added to the fact Prost was 2nd on the grid and the events of last year, Senna was incensed enough to do whatever he had to do to win the title.
Waris

Post by Waris »

Phoenix wrote:
Waris wrote:

And the collision between Senna and Prost was intentional, because Senna and Prost were fighting for the title, Senna scored the pole position, but he was starting from the dirt side of the track and FIA didn't let him exercise his right to choose the pole position side. Added to the fact Prost was 2nd on the grid and the events of last year, Senna was incensed enough to do whatever he had to do to win the title.

Exactly.
Edit: I mean, well, but still, the nature of the track facilitated it, to a certain extent. If that chicane wouldn't have been there, there wouldn't be such an easy spot for Senna to pick to take Prost out.
DonTirri
Location: Herttoniemi, Helsinki, Finland, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way.

Post by DonTirri »

Waris wrote:
Exactly.
Edit: I mean, well, but still, the nature of the track facilitated it, to a certain extent. If that chicane wouldn't have been there, there wouldn't be such an easy spot for Senna to pick to take Prost out.

I think you got your collisions mixed. In 1989 Prost took Senna out at the chicane. In 1990 Senna took Prost out in the first corner.

And I think the chicane is silly anyway. Just like every other chicane in every other circuit.
I got Pointed Opinions and I ain't afraid to use em!
F1rejects no.1Räikkönen and Vettel fan.
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Waris wrote:
Phoenix wrote:
Waris wrote:

Exactly.

He could have done so in every other circuit, even in Valencia.
Archie2K

Post by Archie2K »

Surely the reason old circuits are considered the best is due to natural selection. The best stay, and the worst are quietly dropped and forgotten from memory. Add in the fact that Spa, Suzuka and Silverstone regularly get a dash of rain that livens up any race. Give it ten years and see which Tilkedromes are still being used, and how good the racing they produce is.
JeanDenisAlcatraz

Post by JeanDenisAlcatraz »

I predict Turkey will still be here. It's a great race track with an already legendary corner in a market which will only grow. I also predict that more and more seats will start to fill there as their economy continues to grow.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

JeanDenisAlcatraz wrote:I predict Turkey will still be here. It's a great race track with an already legendary corner in a market which will only grow. I also predict that more and more seats will start to fill there as their economy continues to grow.

I'm not so sure about that because Turkey is one of the races that seems to constantly have the axe over its neck. I believe they pay up a lot less than the other Tilkedromes to hold a GP, plus there is competition relatively near by from Bahrain, Abu Dhabi, and Qatar. Let's not also forget the podium ceremony were they got the president of Northern Cyprus (officially a non-existent country) to hand out a trophy...

Spa, Suzuka, and Silverstone have all been dropped from the calendar over the years as well. Fuji was meant to replace Suzuka permanently, Silverstone had to share with Brands Hatch, and Spa has had difficulty coughing up the money on many occasions, and may not have returned to the calendar after its modifications had Zolder been any good and not had the Villeneuve tragedy.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

Given the problems Delhi is having in organising the upcoming Commonwealth Games, there have been mutterings recently about whether the Indian F1 venue will be ready for Oct 2011.

Bernie says it will; so that's all right then. Isn't it Donington?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsp ... 027595.stm
ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Post by ADx_Wales »

The Delhi GP will be BUILT in time, but it will not be in any way "Ready"
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989
IdeFan

Post by IdeFan »

Depends, I don't know any of the facts but it sounds like the Commonwealth games is mainly a government led project and the GP has heavy investment from private backers. Bernie says none of the commonwealth people are involved in the GP and that says "private" to me.

Now in my experience government projects are notoriously bad (just look at the London Olympics, Millennium Dome, Wembely Stadium) whereas private stuff tends to be a bit better organised. I think Bernie is right to be confident, at least at this early stage.
"Well we've got this ridiculous situation where we're all sitting by the start-finish line waiting for a winner to come past and we don't seem to be getting one!" - James Hunt, Monaco 1982
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

The circuit is being build by private contractors, overseen by Tilke GmbH. There won't be any of the problems experienced with the Commonwealth Games.
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

Captain Hammer wrote:The circuit is being build by private contractors, overseen by Tilke GmbH. There won't be any of the problems experienced with the Commonwealth Games.

I wouldn't say "any," but it should be far more likely to end up on track.