Beatrice / Haas / Force / Lola 1986

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Yannick

Beatrice / Haas / Force / Lola 1986

Post by Yannick »

Wasn't it the somewhat lengthy and clumsy to name Beatrice / Haas-FORCE / Lola team of 1986 that enlisted Ross Brawn first as chief engineer or something like that? Where can I get more information on them, and most of all, where can I find more pictures of their beautiful bright red and blue car?
I reckon they are eligible for the site despite having both cars in the points in Zeltweg in 1986, aren't they?
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
Ide

Re: Beatrice / Haas / Force / Lola 1986

Post by Ide »

My dad actually worked for Haas Lola during their F1 escapade, next time I speak to him I'll try to get any information that he remembers about the team from him. He says he remembers working with Jones on something, I'll see what he says. ;)
Unfortunately it was before I was born so I know nothing about them myself!
If there's a car to crash in your neighbourhood,
Who you gonna call?
Yuji Ide!
ImissJORDAN

Post by ImissJORDAN »

They scored 6 points, which according to the F1 Rejects definition of a reject team, qualifies them for reject status. Jones socred that 4th in Zeltweg and 6th at the following race in Italy, while Tambay was 5th behind Jones at Zeltweg.

I know literally nothing about the team, but I know one thing: that car was a thing of beauty. :o
Hill - 1998 Belgian Grand Prix, Frentzen - 1999 French Grand Prix, 1999 Italian Grand Prix, Fisichella - 2003 Brazilian Grand Prix
runningboots

Post by runningboots »

Ide wrote:he remembers working with Jones on something

Like it. Maybe it was something that would have helped "our Nige" fit into the 95 McLaren at the first race. ;)

Sad end to two F1 driver careers, but maybe it allowed Ross Brawn to do his "learning on the job" before he joined Arrows, then TWR.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

There is an interesting issue about this team. As you know, they were going to be Ford's works F1 team in 1986. Cosworth designed the V6 turbo-charged engine, which originally incorporated a compound turbo design. I've heard that Keith Duckworth spoke to the FIA, who originally deemed it to be acceptable, only to change their minds a long way into the development process, so Cosworth had to re-design the engine. That explains why the engine was a disappointment and not on a par with the Honda or TAG Porsche.
Last edited by Faustus on 23 Jan 2013, 15:49, edited 1 time in total.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
chrismc_DC2

Post by chrismc_DC2 »

I remember a documentary series that was on at the time on UK Channel 4 called EQUINOX.

One particular episode covered the birth of the Ford V6 engine in the HAAS LOLA. Snippets from the 1986 season are seen as well as private testing & dyno work on the V6. It must have been screened in 1987 as it shows the V6 installed in the B187 Benetton & features an interview with Peter Collins.....

The documentary explains Keith Duckworth originally designed a 4cyl Turbo unit like the BMW in the Brabhams of the time, but it suffers repeated failures on the dyno, leading to the V6 being designed...

It was an excellent documentary but i cannot for the life of me find it on the net anywhere :| The episode was titled TURBO- MADE TO MEASURE, if anybody can help?.....
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Formula Juan wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbB1q...&feature=feedu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqfVA...eature=related

The URLs don't work.
ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Post by ADx_Wales »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNDrykRzhcY

Almost parody on the documentary when the narrator says "Patrick Tambay can judge a turbo on its sound"
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Now that's what I call resurrecting old posts!
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
Formula Juan

Post by Formula Juan »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbB1qwhK ... ture=feedu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqfVAGOa ... re=related

Enjoy the attached links. They're the Equinox program and each are an hour long. In the second video check out a young Ross Brawn!!
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Via the wonders of keepvid.com I will download these now and watch them later. Should be excellent viewing. And I'll look out for the very young Ross Brawn, and see how he compares to the 1995 vintage with the enormous glasses that he has long since traded in.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
David AGS

Post by David AGS »

Actually, not just Brawn worked with Lola, but also one of the key players of McLaren for many, many years. Neil Oatley.
Miserable Thierry (Boutsen) staggers round mostly on ten cylinders (out of 12) with no clutch, low oil pressure, bad brakes and no grip to finish tenth, 3 laps down...

(Murray Walkers review of Boutsen's Brazil 1991 race).

Thats a point these days!