Schumacher wants to swap numbers

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
madcat

Schumacher wants to swap numbers

Post by madcat »

http://en.espnf1.com/mercedes/motorsport/story/7035.html

So he doesn't like even numbers... Also that makes him first driver in the team? Silly games started...
As i looked at my naked body in the mirror, i thought to myself,
"I'm going to get thrown out of Ikea any minute.".
fjackdaw

Re: Schumacher wants to swap numbers

Post by fjackdaw »

Wow, he's not subtle about it, is he? Starting the old Schumacher head games already. If Ross allows it, Schumi is psychological lead driver. If Nico allows it, Schumi is psychological lead driver. Either way, he's numerical lead driver. The only thing Nico can do is say, "I don't want to be number 4 either, and the FIA gave me number 3, so eff off".
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

fjackdaw wrote:Wow, he's not subtle about it, is he? Starting the old Schumacher head games already. If Ross allows it, Schumi is psychological lead driver. If Nico allows it, Schumi is psychological lead driver. Either way, he's numerical lead driver. The only thing Nico can do is say, "I don't want to be number 4 either, and the FIA gave me number 3, so eff off".

What a funny way to hand your notice in.....

Nico needs to bear in mind that Heidfeld is currently unemployed....
DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
Tealy

Post by Tealy »

eagleash wrote:
fjackdaw wrote:Wow, he's not subtle about it, is he? Starting the old Schumacher head games already. If Ross allows it, Schumi is psychological lead driver. If Nico allows it, Schumi is psychological lead driver. Either way, he's numerical lead driver. The only thing Nico can do is say, "I don't want to be number 4 either, and the FIA gave me number 3, so eff off".

What a funny way to hand your notice in.....

Nico needs to bear in mind that Heidfeld is currently unemployed....

Even still if I was in Nico's position I would just flat out refuse. Schumacher is full of it if he thinks that his name alone should merit pushing Rosberg to one side before the season even starts. I hope his comeback is a complete and utter failure.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

It's going to be good. You see, a couple of days before Schumi signed up for Mercedes, Rosberg was already on his case:

Before publicly saying that he will not play the lieutenant role within the Mercedes lineup for no one, he had pointed at Schumacher for the careless driving F1 has been confronting in recent years. According to Rosberg, it was Schumacher who started the whole thing, with his dangerous maneuvers over former F1 champion and title rival Mika Hakkinen. Of course, he shared his thoughts with the media before knowing that Schu will be his teammate for the upcoming 3 years.

It's turning worse than Ferrari... :mrgreen:
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
mario

Post by mario »

Well, there have been cases where drivers have decided to swap numbers within a team. For example, Jenson once changed numbers with Rubens, because the number Jensen had was supposed to be Rubens's lucky number. If I recall well, that was back in 2006.
Didn't Senna have a tradition about the number he used on his car? If I remember well, his was the opposite way around to Schumacher's, in that he always wanted to drive even numbered cars (apart from when he could use number 1).
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

I would do it because I like the number 4 and the yellow t-cams, but that's just me. Who the hell cares, because the driver with the yellow t-cam (I think that's what its called... you know that little doohickey on top of the engine cover that the crane usually grabs the car by? It's colored red for one car and yellow on another...) has been team leader before. Vettel at Toro Rosso, Buemi at Toro Rosso after Bourdais got the flick, Raikkonen in 2007, Massa in 2008... Lewis Hamilton in 2007 and 2010... Button at Honda when he and Rubens switched numbers because #11 was Rubens's karting number...

....and Ayrton Senna, who would always drive the even number -- except when he had to wear #1 or in his first F1 year with Toleman, when he carried #19.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
tc3j3r

Post by tc3j3r »

Senna raced with #27 in 1990... (Although it's true that he took #8, the inferior # to Andretti/Hakkinen in 1993).
mario

Post by mario »

Cynon wrote:I would do it because I like the number 4 and the yellow t-cams, but that's just me. Who the hell cares, because the driver with the yellow t-cam (I think that's what its called... you know that little doohickey on top of the engine cover that the crane usually grabs the car by? It's colored red for one car and yellow on another...) has been team leader before. Vettel at Toro Rosso, Buemi at Toro Rosso after Bourdais got the flick, Raikkonen in 2007, Massa in 2008... Lewis Hamilton in 2007 and 2010... Button at Honda when he and Rubens switched numbers because #11 was Rubens's karting number...

....and Ayrton Senna, who would always drive the even number -- except when he had to wear #1 or in his first F1 year with Toleman, when he carried #19.

I was trying to remember what the number Button and Rubens had changed over - thanks for that.
Since you seem to know this quite well, could you tell me when the FIA abandoned the use of No.13 on the cars? I think that it was used intermittantly until the early 70's, but I am not sure about that.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

tc3j3r wrote:Senna raced with #27 in 1990... (Although it's true that he took #8, the inferior # to Andretti/Hakkinen in 1993).

Senna was 27 because Berger had been #28 the previous season at Ferrari...and probably they let him keep it as a mark of respect of Ferrari's '82 season, as they had to take #1 and #2 in 1990 because Prost switched to Ferrari.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Post by ADx_Wales »

Anyway, while we're on the subject of schumacher, he's #4 because as we all know Nico Rosberg scored points last season, when schumacher didnt, If it was Barrichello staying at Brawn He'd be #3 with Rosberg #4.

The whole numbering system has gotten kind of dull since 1996, where it depends on constructor order these days, but Mr Schumacher, if you dont like what your given with, even if it is a mere number, you know where you can go.
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989
SuperAguri
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by SuperAguri »

In Japanese and Chinese, one way of saying the number 4 is the same as the word for death and it's considered very unlucky. If you go to Hong Kong, China or Japan and stay in a hotel you might find that there is no floor 4 (and sometimes no floor 44 or 14, 24, etc....).

When Ukyou Katayama raced for Tyrrell between 1993 and 1995 when the old numbers were in place and Tyrrell had 3 and 4. Ukyou had it in his contract to be number 3.

Maybe Schumacher is thinking the same thing?
<@Ataxia> these people are making a mess of their crepe suzettes
FloProAct

Post by FloProAct »

Nico, get out of there while you still can!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

mario wrote:
Cynon wrote:I would do it because I like the number 4 and the yellow t-cams, but that's just me. Who the hell cares, because the driver with the yellow t-cam (I think that's what its called... you know that little doohickey on top of the engine cover that the crane usually grabs the car by? It's colored red for one car and yellow on another...) has been team leader before. Vettel at Toro Rosso, Buemi at Toro Rosso after Bourdais got the flick, Raikkonen in 2007, Massa in 2008... Lewis Hamilton in 2007 and 2010... Button at Honda when he and Rubens switched numbers because #11 was Rubens's karting number...

I was trying to remember what the number Button and Rubens had changed over - thanks for that.
Since you seem to know this quite well, could you tell me when the FIA abandoned the use of No.13 on the cars? I think that it was used intermittantly until the early 70's, but I am not sure about that.

The only time that number 13 has been in a Grand Prix was in Mexico 1963, driven by Moises Solana (classified 11th, 7 laps behind, did not finish).Divina Galica did not qualify in car 13 in Britain 1976.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
frongor

Post by frongor »

SuperAguri wrote:In Japanese and Chinese, one way of saying the number 4 is the same as the word for death and it's considered very unlucky. If you go to Hong Kong, China or Japan and stay in a hotel you might find that there is no floor 4 (and sometimes no floor 44 or 14, 24, etc....).

When Ukyou Katayama raced for Tyrrell between 1993 and 1995 when the old numbers were in place and Tyrrell had 3 and 4. Ukyou had it in his contract to be number 3.

Maybe Schumacher is thinking the same thing?

That is very true. I also remember all the Takuma-fans questioning the season even before it started in 2005. Sato had Nr 4 on the car and even if he did not die, the season was a true mess.

No Nr 13 in F1 but last season Ernesto Viso clearly requested that number for his Indycar entry.... Hard to imagine that would be possible in F1.
Super Aguri - come back!
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

It's looking to me like Red Bull are the only team that have team-mates that seem to get on! If Raikkonen 2008 and Prost 1986 are anything to go by, it could be their year!
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

madcat wrote:http://en.espnf1.com/mercedes/motorsport/story/7035.html

So he doesn't like even numbers... Also that makes him first driver in the team? Silly games started...

So you don't have a lucky or unlucky number? If you do, hy isn't Schumacher allowed to have one?
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Personally I think the notion that F1 doesn't use #13 is kind of dumb, because look at the mess it has made of the numbering system....

I think all the car numbers should be in hexadecimal format, just because .... .... BECAUSE!....

...and into the pitlane, in the #F car...
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
coops

Post by coops »

fjackdaw wrote:Starting the old Schumacher head games already.The only thing Nico can do is say, "I don't want to be number 4 either, and the FIA gave me number 3, so eff off".

You're right but now if Nico were to do that, bizarrely, he'd look like the one being silly.

Schumacher head games. Spot on. You can see why his wife was happy to see him bugger off out of the house for most of the year. She was probably sick of him trying to out-psyche her over who made the beds, washed up etc.
"Aerodynamics is for those who cannot manufacture good engines."
-Enzo Ferrari
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Captain Hammer wrote:
madcat wrote:http://en.espnf1.com/mercedes/motorsport/story/7035.html

So you don't have a lucky or unlucky number? If you do, hy isn't Schumacher allowed to have one?

I cartainly do NOT have a lucky or unlucky number. And if I did, why should it be a small integer? Why not choose pi or 9674528965, for instance? That could be lucky. Could win you money on a lottery...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
noisebox

Post by noisebox »

tc3j3r wrote:Senna raced with #27 in 1990... (Although it's true that he took #8, the inferior # to Andretti/Hakkinen in 1993).

I think 1993 was more to do with the fact that he was not confirmed for the drive until right at the last minute, and then only agreed to drive on a race by race basis.
"will you stop him playing tennis then?", referring to Montoya's famous shoulder injury, to which Whitmarsh replied "well, it's very difficult to play tennis on a motorbike"
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

coops wrote:Schumacher head games. Spot on. You can see why his wife was happy to see him bugger off out of the house for most of the year. She was probably sick of him trying to out-psyche her over who made the beds, washed up etc.

I finally understand why in the only statement of hers I've seen her, she said it was all good for him to head back. :lol:
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Tealy

Post by Tealy »

Cynon wrote:Personally I think the notion that F1 doesn't use #13 is kind of dumb, because look at the mess it has made of the numbering system....

I think all the car numbers should be in hexadecimal format, just because .... .... BECAUSE!....

Why not go a step further and have Binary numbers?
coops

Post by coops »

CarlosFerreira wrote:
coops wrote: She was probably sick of him trying to out-psyche her over who made the beds, .

I finally understand why in the only statement of hers I've seen her, she said it was all good for him to head back. :lol:

Apparently it got so bad she suspected that the pillows on his side of the bed were of a newer spec than the ones she had to use.
"Aerodynamics is for those who cannot manufacture good engines."
-Enzo Ferrari
SDHammer

Post by SDHammer »

Re: the number 13 as far as I know in some cultures it isn't unlucky at all. In Italy for example its the number 17 which is considered unlucky.

I myself consider 13 to be somewhat lucky but i was born on the 13th of May so maybe the luck has been fated some what.
Collieafc

Post by Collieafc »

SDHammer wrote:Re: the number 13 as far as I know in some cultures it isn't unlucky at all. In Italy for example its the number 17 which is considered unlucky.

Ironic as my brother finds 17 really lucky. Suppose its all just down to psycology

coops wrote:She was probably sick of him trying to out-psyche her over who made the beds, washed up etc.

I lolled at this! :lol:
DanielPT wrote:Life usually expires after 400 meters and always before reaching 2 laps or so. In essence, Life is short.
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

Tealy wrote:
Cynon wrote:Personally I think the notion that F1 doesn't use #13 is kind of dumb, because look at the mess it has made of the numbering system....

Index notation?

'And here's Button in the 3.65x10² McLaren'
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
SDHammer

Post by SDHammer »

If Schumacher thinks even numbers are unlucky why does he want to win an 8th World Title. :?:
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

SDHammer wrote:If Schumacher thinks even numbers are unlucky why does he want to win an 8th World Title. :?:

Because 8 comes before 9...
MCard LOLA
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

shinji wrote:
Tealy wrote:

Index notation?

'And here's Button in the 3.65x10² McLaren'

Why even use the Arabic number system, when you can use Roman numerals?
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Guzuky

Post by Guzuky »

coops wrote:
fjackdaw wrote:Starting the old Schumacher head games already.The only thing Nico can do is say, "I don't want to be number 4 either, and the FIA gave me number 3, so eff off".

You're right but now if Nico were to do that, bizarrely, he'd look like the one being silly.

Schumacher head games. Spot on. You can see why his wife was happy to see him bugger off out of the house for most of the year. She was probably sick of him trying to out-psyche her over who made the beds, washed up etc.

Man, that was perfect!!, that's say it all, really...
The only Formula 1 fan in Puerto Rico (reader since 2001)
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Back on topic, Michael Schumacher is a very superstitious driver. He wears a pendant hiw wife gave him as a good-luck charm, an he carries a toy hairbush from his daughter in his racing overalls at all times. There's a legend that he forgot the hairbrush once and had to have someone race back to the hotel an get it before he was willing to get into the car. Given that his helmet has Chinese characters on it, he clearly has some interest in China, and he'd know that the number four is unlucky. If this was simply a case of Schumacher asking to change his nubmer, I'd be more sceptical. But there is an established pattern of superstitious behaviour that makes me think otherwise.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...