Nimby Quebecers

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
DemocalypseNow

Nimby Quebecers

Post by DemocalypseNow »

What the f*** is this??????????
Get a reality check numpties.

*I said nimbies in the title because, quite frankly, they are the most pathetic HR-loving morons on the planet.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Nimby Quebecers

Post by Klon »

kostas22 wrote:What the f*** is this??????????

Is there any type of human being more worthless and entitled than non-smokers? I don't know any which have actually anything to say at all. Makes me wanna start smoking just to not be associated with them. :P
Vepe

Post by Vepe »

Didn´t Ferrari have to remove the barcodes in their car at Canada last year ??
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Vepe wrote:Didn´t Ferrari have to remove the barcodes in their car at Canada last year ??

Yes, but lets be fair here, those were there because Marlboro paid for them to be. Slight difference. It's not like Ferrari just said "Oh, I know what would be a great livery, lets put a barcode on the car!" Because that would be plain retarded.

But this? Its just the colours. Not the slightest hint of a JPS-inspired logo or advert anywhere on the car. It's going too far.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
noisebox

Post by noisebox »

If they're going to be pedantic about it they should also be looking at the Rothmans inspired Williams livery, and Lucky Strike Hispania...
"will you stop him playing tennis then?", referring to Montoya's famous shoulder injury, to which Whitmarsh replied "well, it's very difficult to play tennis on a motorbike"
mario

Post by mario »

kostas22 wrote:What the f*** is this??????????

*I said nimbies in the title because, quite frankly, they are the most pathetic HR-loving morons on the planet.

It seems that the reason why the Canadians were inquiring into the Renault gold and black livery was the fact that the owners of the JPS brand, it seems, had decided to capitalise on the reintroduction of the livery. There were some reports of point of sale advertising in Europe (which remains legal, for now) which aimed to piggyback off the success of the Renault team; although independent from the Renault F1 team, naturally there were some who wondered if the two were connected.

Unnecessary? Almost certainly, since any commercial link would be clear, but not unsurprising.

Vepe wrote:Didn´t Ferrari have to remove the barcodes in their car at Canada last year ??

Correct - they raced with just a rectangular outline on the engine cover, around where the barcode logo would have been.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

noisebox wrote:If they're going to be pedantic about it they should also be looking at the Rothmans inspired Williams livery, and Lucky Strike Hispania...

Don't forget McLaren, the silver livery clearly dates back to the West days.
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

Last year Renault were VERY B&H Jordan-esque...
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
DonTirri
Location: Herttoniemi, Helsinki, Finland, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way.

Post by DonTirri »

Meh. I consider the anti-tobacco laws goddamn bullshit anyway.

To smoke and not to smoke is ones own decision for cryin out loud. I don't know about other countries but here in Finland there is a practical witch hunt goin on for smokers, the latest move being forcing stores to stick all cigarette-packaging under the counter, with a suggestion that all cigarette-packages should contain zero branding whatsoever, in other words being blank white boxes with the brand typed onto it with small black letters.

For christ sake either make it completely illegal or stop instating all these stupid laws. Of course it all boils down to the fact that the goverment gets a rather nice chunk of Euros from cigarette-taxes so they are basically wanting to have the cake and eat it, appeal to the anti-smokers while pocketing the money.

Bullshit.
I got Pointed Opinions and I ain't afraid to use em!
F1rejects no.1Räikkönen and Vettel fan.
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

shinji wrote:Last year Renault were VERY B&H Jordan-esque...

...or, maybe, it was a reference to what Renaults used to look like in the late 1970s.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
GroupLotusRenault

Post by GroupLotusRenault »

Most anti smoking law of course bans advertising of tobbaco sponsoring. Lotus Renault colour sceme is a great sight on the racetrack. But like Ferrari and Phillip Morris compay, are they being backed by JPS and if they are is this legel?
Engineering Student

"Is it because im Black" Lewis Hamilton 2011 Monaco GP No its because you dont ram people off the track.

Eric Bollouir- "the arrogence of the english" Says the one who runs a English team based in England
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

It's pathetic, isn't it?
I'm not a smoker, but I remain to be convinced that tobacco advertising makes people take up smoking. Make them change brands maybe, but take up smoking? Doubtful.
Last edited by Faustus on 07 Jun 2011, 09:55, edited 1 time in total.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
Jeroen Krautmeir

Post by Jeroen Krautmeir »

The whole issue of tobacco adverts throws me over the end. For crying out loud, looking at a car with Lucky Strike branding would not make someone go "Oh! Lucky Strike, now I have to go buy a pack." And please, lest we forget, tobacco sponsors were vital in bringing up many many drivers, especially in France, and we all know that the French Racing Driver is now an extinct species. Brands like Marlboro were very important, sponsoring pretty much every Grand Prix or/and team in some way. Like I said previously, tobacco brands were also important in bringing up talented drivers, see Jean Alesi for example.

In the end, I really wish politicians would stop treating us like uneducated blockheads.
Honourary Youngest Forum Member, Joint Mackem Of The Forum

"When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting".
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Faustus wrote:It's pathetic, isn't it? I
'm not a smoker, but I remain to be convinced that tobacco advertising makes people take up smoking. Make them change brands maybe, but take up smoking? Doubtful.

And it doesn't make people buy tobacco. Trying to be cool at school makes you buy tobacco. But politicians have to show they are doing something against those evil tobacco companies. And this is stopping them to waste money in advertisement and actually invest on motorsport...
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

DanielPT wrote:
Faustus wrote:It's pathetic, isn't it? I
'm not a smoker, but I remain to be convinced that tobacco advertising makes people take up smoking. Make them change brands maybe, but take up smoking? Doubtful.

And it doesn't make people buy tobacco. Trying to be cool at school makes you buy tobacco. But politicians have to show they are doing something against those evil tobacco companies. And this is stopping them to waste money in advertisement and actually invest on motorsport...

Absolutely, I agree completely.
I do think smokers are treated unfairly. I'm not a smoker and I've worked in pubs and bars before, in very smoky environments and I didn't like it, but with the ever-increasing restrictions on smoking and the rising price of smoking products, smokers are treated unfairly for trying to enjoy a product that was bought and paid for legally. There are anti- and stop-smoking campaigns everywhere, but the truth is that the revenue for the taxing of smoking products is critically important to every state and it outweighs the burden of the extra costs incurred by the national health services for dealing with smoking-related diseases and conditions.
MaxZero

Post by MaxZero »

And then there's the archive footage that appears on national TV now and again, they don't filter that.
There was a program about Murray Walker on the beeb on Sunday, Marlboro was all over it, didn't stop the program going out at 8pm.
I've rekon the barcode's triangular logo replacement reminds me more of a pack of Marlboro nehoo, it imitates half of the shape that appears on the packaging, so its a step backwards there

I did go out tho and buy a packet of JPS Black to see what they were like in comparison to my usual B&H Silver when i originally heard it would be used again so perhaps they do have a point
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

MaxZero wrote:I did go out tho and buy a packet of JPS Black to see what they were like in comparison to my usual B&H Silver when i originally heard it would be used again so perhaps they do have a point

In this case you did what Faustus said. You didn't started smoking, you changed brands...
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
The Mountain Man

Post by The Mountain Man »

If someone at Lotus-Renault had a sense of humor they should have painted their cars solid yellow just for the occasion.

For the youngest readers it was the color scheme Lotus adopted in 1987 when they were sponsored by Camel. :D

PS: are JPS cigarettes even available in Canada? If not what's the point?
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

dinizintheoven wrote:
shinji wrote:Last year Renault were VERY B&H Jordan-esque...

...or, maybe, it was a reference to what Renaults used to look like in the late 1970s.

Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Advertising tobacco doesn't have a substantial impact on smoking. Letting teenagers smoke does.

And that's only a small part of F1, folks...

Oh, well, to sum it up...

And...

Haters gonna hate.

My work here today is done.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Phoenix wrote:Image

Haters gonna hate.

Or, in this case, Lovers gonna love ??? :?:
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

My father used to smoke, my mother as well. I've been following F1 since '97 and therefore exposed to brands such as Rothmans, Marlboro, West, B&H, Mild Seven, Lucky Strike, 555, Sobranie, Gauloises and I'm certain I'm missing a couple of them.

Didn't smoke at all until 2008, when tobacco advertising was no longer present in F1, and even then what I smoke was Chesterfield, that hadn't been in F1 since 1993 (ie., before I started watching). My first and only cigarette ever by the way.
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

I've never smoked, not even 1, nor have I ever even had a drag on one. I don't think I'd enjoy it so I don't think I'm missing much.
Mister Fungus

Post by Mister Fungus »

I disagree with the conception that advertising doesn't have anything to do with people taking up smoking, that would mean pretty much all advertising is ineffective. That being said the whole issue with Renault livery is pretty ridiculous.

(also realized that I have a cigarette livery in my avatar)
Jeroen Krautmeir

The Mountain Man wrote:For the youngest readers it was the color scheme Lotus adopted in 1987 when they were sponsored by Camel. :D

I'm sorry to be such an arse, but I'm the youngest reader, and I know that. :P

"When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting".
Bert

Post by Bert »

A couple of points, from a home-town boy.....

- The Gilles Villeneuve museum, in Berthierville, Quebec, was threatened with fines for displaying PERIOD PICTURES of F1 races, race cars, etc. with cigarette advertising. Yes, they wanted impose fines for showing pictures taken in the 70s and 80s depicting history. Our <reject of the race>bureaucrats</reject of the race> want to rewrite !@%#&%&@ history. If only we had a MSC commission!

- Last year, at a historic event at Mont-Tremblant / Saint-Jovite (Canadian G.P. 1968, 1970 and bloody awesome track) historic F1, Indy and other tobacco sponsored cars had to modify the "advertising". So we had an "alboro", an "othmans" and an "ohn ayers escial".

My tax dollars at work!
You break it, I fix it, or vice-versa.
Vepe

Post by Vepe »

Bert wrote:A couple of points, from a home-town boy.....

- The Gilles Villeneuve museum, in Berthierville, Quebec, was threatened with fines for displaying PERIOD PICTURES of F1 races, race cars, etc. with cigarette advertising. Yes, they wanted impose fines for showing pictures taken in the 70s and 80s depicting history. Our <reject of the race>bureaucrats</reject of the race> want to rewrite !@%#&%&@ history. If only we had a MSC commission!

- Last year, at a historic event at Mont-Tremblant / Saint-Jovite (Canadian G.P. 1968, 1970 and bloody awesome track) historic F1, Indy and other tobacco sponsored cars had to modify the "advertising". So we had an "alboro", an "othmans" and an "ohn ayers escial".

My tax dollars at work!

What the ****, man! Are they serious ?
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Faustus wrote:I've never smoked, not even 1, nor have I ever even had a drag on one. I don't think I'd enjoy it so I don't think I'm missing much.

Ditto, other than I am 99% sure I won't enjoy it. When I first went to uni, I was sick in my halls' kitchen due to the fact that people were smoking in there. In my first week.

Ok, so it was cannabis they were smoking in there at the time, but I didn't initially know that and nobody subsequantly smoked anything in the kitchen for my sake. :D
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Jeroen Krautmeir

Mister Fungus wrote:I disagree with the conception that advertising doesn't have anything to do with people taking up smoking, that would mean pretty much all advertising is ineffective. That being said the whole issue with Renault livery is pretty ridiculous.

But like MaxZero said, it made him change brands, so they have a point. It's just that their 'stealing' consumers from their rivals, but not actually making non-smokers take it up.

DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Jeroen Krautmeir wrote:
Mister Fungus wrote:I disagree with the conception that advertising doesn't have anything to do with people taking up smoking, that would mean pretty much all advertising is ineffective. That being said the whole issue with Renault livery is pretty ridiculous.

But like MaxZero said, it made him change brands, so they have a point. It's just that their 'stealing' consumers from their rivals, but not actually making non-smokers take it up.

Well, what worked at the time of mass cigarettes production creation was that they paid big Hollywood stars to smoke in movies. That worked like a treat, specially in teenagers who wanted to be like their idols. And thus a big recruiting machine was created. Eventually smoking stopped to be that cool in mid nineties or so and the machine gears slowed down. I even know more non-smokers than smokers which was unthinkable a few years back.
David AGS

Post by David AGS »

and some drivers themselves used to smoke!

I remember reading what a driver said a while back (cant remember who!) that when they had the drivers briefing, they couldn't see eachother as there was smoke everywhere.

Slightly off topic, didnt Stefan Johansson burn his face when he attempted to light a cigarette from a stove?
Miserable Thierry (Boutsen) staggers round mostly on ten cylinders (out of 12) with no clutch, low oil pressure, bad brakes and no grip to finish tenth, 3 laps down...

(Murray Walkers review of Boutsen's Brazil 1991 race).

Thats a point these days!