Greece to build F1 circuit?

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
sswishbone

Greece to build F1 circuit?

Post by sswishbone »

Was browsing a forum about to be closed down and saw an article containing these links

http://www.formula1onlive.com/2011/05/g ... ealed.html

http://www.formula1onlive.com/2011/05/g ... rcuit.html

If true then I am confused as all hell, last I heard Greece was in massive danger of needing a europe bail-out, I doubt an F1 circuit is what the creditors had in mind! As far as the image goes, if that is the design for the layout it appears a cross between Hockenheim and interlagos, which ain't a bad thing. Thoughts people? for me a little unecessary
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
AndreaModa

Re: Greece to build F1 circuit?

Post by AndreaModa »

Haha erm nope this isn't going to happen! They had a bailout last year, and it looks very likely that they'll need another one, or pull out of the eurozone entirely this year. Considering they can't even afford the repayments on these loans, I don't think they'll be able to spare the $195 million for a racetrack! :lol:
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Yeah, this will never happen.
Last edited by Faustus on 12 May 2011, 15:31, edited 1 time in total.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Not going to happen, I'm afraid, especially with the EU bailout. I'm not sure if motorsport is even popular over in Greece.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Well, the Acropolis Rally is part of the World Rally Championship and is very popular, but that's about it. There used to be a Formula 3 series, I have no idea if it still exists, but it was just for older cars and was very weak.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

EU bailout or not, they at least managed to be part of the euro zone, unlike Hungary, who keeps pushing back the joining date while hosting a race here!
Greece needs to sort the financial problems first. Then they could try, but not now.

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Shizuka wrote:EU bailout or not, they at least managed to be part of the euro zone, unlike Hungary, who keeps pushing back the joining date while hosting a race here!
Greece needs to sort the financial problems first. Then they could try, but not now.

Why would Hungary want to join Eurozone? They have HWNSNBM. Everything else is unnecessary! :)
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

DanielPT wrote:
Shizuka wrote:EU bailout or not, they at least managed to be part of the euro zone, unlike Hungary, who keeps pushing back the joining date while hosting a race here!

Why would Hungary want to join Eurozone? They have HWNSNBM. Everything else is unnecessary! :)

The European Union defers to the United Nations.
The United Nations defers to HWNSNBM.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Aerond »

Well, it says they´re going to build a F1-Spec track (possible), not that they´re going to organise a race (which is obviously not happening).

Now, they must find more private money for this, me thinks.
Tread lightly in ARWS. Every decision might be your last.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Aerond wrote:Well, it says they´re going to build a F1-Spec track (possible), not that they´re going to organise a race (which is obviously not happening).

Now, they must find more private money for this, me thinks.

That would be the only way it would be built. But then, who would invest in a country that has so much sovereign debt?

Ireland is in a similar, albeit much less extreme position, and they're having trouble finding the money to fund some motorway projects! No-one wants to invest when things turn sour, so I highly doubt anyone will be stupid enough to plough so much money into a project like that in Greece of all places.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Benetton

Post by Benetton »

AndreaModa wrote:But then, who would invest in a country that has so much sovereign debt?

Those having extra extra cash and willing to buy cheap land, I suppose since the economy in that country is a mess. High risk equals high reward.

But this is not going to happen unless it's 100% privately backed. Greece, the state, has some serious debt, which probably needs to be restructured during this year.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Benetton wrote:
AndreaModa wrote:But then, who would invest in a country that has so much sovereign debt?

Those having extra extra cash and willing to buy cheap land, I suppose since the economy in that country is a mess. High risk equals high reward.

But this is not going to happen unless it's 100% privately backed. Greece, the state, has some serious debt, which probably needs to be restructured during this year.

Maybe the Greek govt will give the project some tax breaks or something?
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
GroupLotusRenault

Post by GroupLotusRenault »

EU wont let them hold a F! race as they need them to pay them back....
Engineering Student

"Is it because im Black" Lewis Hamilton 2011 Monaco GP No its because you dont ram people off the track.

Eric Bollouir- "the arrogence of the english" Says the one who runs a English team based in England
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

After what I saw on the news this morning. The chances of Greece having a F1 circuit are: Life having a successful career. http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-201 ... 15842.html
Williams in the last few years http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

Off-topic but I really hope that this madness of the bailouts finishes, and soon.

Greece CAN'T pay back its debt. It's awful that they keep trying to force them take "adjustment plans" that only push them into bigger moles of debt.
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
Popi_Larrauri

Post by Popi_Larrauri »

Ferrim wrote:Off-topic but I really hope that this madness of the bailouts finishes, and soon.

Greece CAN'T pay back its debt. It's awful that they keep trying to force them take "adjustment plans" that only push them into bigger moles of debt.

And I thought that I was the only one!!!!

....I want to hug you right now... :roll:
Winners have lots of friends, losers have good friends.
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

Popi_Larrauri wrote:
Ferrim wrote:Off-topic but I really hope that this madness of the bailouts finishes, and soon.

And I thought that I was the only one!!!!

....I want to hug you right now... :roll:

Only one? The entire Rep. of Ire. shares the sentiment.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

The Rep. of Ire. can't either. Neither Portugal, and more than possibly Spain (in this case because of private debt)
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
jackanderton

Post by jackanderton »

I might remind people that investment can also be a way of escaping debt.

I doubt the Greek people appreciate that after the disaster of the 2004 olympics, but it's still true.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

jackanderton wrote:I might remind people that investment can also be a way of escaping debt.

I doubt the Greek people appreciate that after the disaster of the 2004 olympics, but it's still true.

The problem of Olympics and every major sports event out there, F1 including, is that the investment needed heavily outweighs revenues during that event. Revenue boost coming from tourism and commerce which results directly from the event are an estimation and no one really knows true figures. Nevertheless it doesn't cover all the costs in hosting the event. Yes, popularity rises and you are spoken of during a certain time, but there isn't much more into that. Worst, the facilities demanded by those who actually organize the sporting part of the event raise each time an event takes place. This happens because as they are entitled to a part in the event income (without having spent a nickel). This means that the bigger the investment, the bigger is the probable income and so the bigger their share is. It is really nothing sort of a Mafia ripping countries and tax payers off. Countries and politics go with that because bringing in events and doing investment, no matter how mad/stupid it is, may win them elections.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Popi_Larrauri

Post by Popi_Larrauri »

DanielPT wrote:
jackanderton wrote:I might remind people that investment can also be a way of escaping debt.

The problem of Olympics and every major sports event out there, F1 including, is that the investment needed heavily outweighs revenues during that event. Revenue boost coming from tourism and commerce which results directly from the event are an estimation and no one really knows true figures. Nevertheless it doesn't cover all the costs in hosting the event. Yes, popularity rises and you are spoken of during a certain time, but there isn't much more into that. Worst, the facilities demanded by those who actually organize the sporting part of the event raise each time an event takes place. This happens because as they are entitled to a part in the event income (without having spent a nickel). This means that the bigger the investment, the bigger is the probable income and so the bigger their share is. It is really nothing sort of a Mafia ripping countries and tax payers off. Countries and politics go with that because bringing in events and doing investment, no matter how mad/stupid it is, may win them elections.

I coincide with this, and as a matter of fact, I don't remember a single event of this nature that have been declared as proven to be profitable. There's one factor that can atenuate this sentence, though. Constructors tend to be a good way to accelerate a slowed economy, since even if they are led by rich owners, they employ a lot of low income workers (thus, as low income people tend to expend everything they earn (because it is less probable that they are able to save at the end of the month) this tends to activate the economy faster than other investments), and constructors always subcontracts a lot of sub-branches of the economy on items related on constructors. In fact, the 2008 real state bubble build-up was not only a matter of private interest making their own business around deregulation and mortgages, but also from the government side, for the above mentioned issues, as sympathetic with the effect of rising PIB grow.

But the issue remains: the government, for doing this, must do an expenditure that right now should be unable to do.... so, maybe the only solution is controlled devaluation (as painful as can be, but in the long term it has amazing results) or defaulting the debt... both could be interesting subjects, but far away from this forum.
Winners have lots of friends, losers have good friends.
dnhrudi

Post by dnhrudi »

The only way this is gonna happen is if they relocate the British Grand Prix to Corfu with BRDC funding :D
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

I see no incentives for Bernie to want to have a Greece GP. The country is in huge economical troubles and in political turmoil because of that, and Acropolis Rally aside, they don't have a big motor racing culture. I'm now wondering, is there a Greek racing driver in the international motor racing scene right now? (Aside from some obscure rally driver).
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Phoenix wrote:I see no incentives for Bernie to want to have a Greece GP. The country is in huge economical troubles and in political turmoil because of that, and Acropolis Rally aside, they don't have a big motor racing culture. I'm now wondering, is there a Greek racing driver in the international motor racing scene right now? (Aside from some obscure rally driver).

You have Alexandros Margaritis that was competing in the FIA GT1 Championship last year (As was Deletraz).

Aside from this there goes Bernie calculations for deciding a GP:

Greece: 1 + Track_designed_by_Tilke(?) - No_money - Political_turmoil - No_driver - No_team = Not_in_a_million_years

Barhain: 1 + Track_designed_by_Tilke + Lots_of_money - Political_turmoil - No_driver - No_team = Lets_go_there
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

DanielPT wrote:
Aside from this there goes Bernie calculations for deciding a GP:

Greece: 1 + Track_designed_by_Tilke(?) - No_money - Political_turmoil - No_driver - No_team = Not_in_a_million_years

Barhain: 1 + Track_designed_by_Tilke + Lots_of_money - Political_turmoil - No_driver - No_team = Lets_go_there

Shame that doesn't fit in my sig. I have to stand by the promise I made in my current sig.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

DanielPT wrote:
Phoenix wrote:I see no incentives for Bernie to want to have a Greece GP. The country is in huge economical troubles and in political turmoil because of that, and Acropolis Rally aside, they don't have a big motor racing culture. I'm now wondering, is there a Greek racing driver in the international motor racing scene right now? (Aside from some obscure rally driver).

You have Alexandros Margaritis that was competing in the FIA GT1 Championship last year (As was Deletraz).

A1 Team Greece only entered 2 rounds/4 races back at the start of the 2006/07 season and in that short time, they used two race drivers and 2 test/practice drivers: Takis Kaitatzis and Nikos Zahos as race drivers, Stelios Nousias and Vasilis Papafilippou as test drivers. I had never heard of them before and haven't heard of them since. Wikipedia says they did not enter again due to lack of funds (plausible, considering how long Korea lasted the following season...) but at the time, I heard that their drivers had to to their compulsory military service at around that time and no replacements were available...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Myrvold

Post by Myrvold »

Phoenix wrote:(Aside from some obscure rally driver).

The obscure driver that actually won a PWRC round 2 years ago? :P
MansellsEyebrows

Post by MansellsEyebrows »

dr-baker wrote:
DanielPT wrote:

A1 Team Greece only entered 2 rounds/4 races back at the start of the 2006/07 season and in that short time, they used two race drivers and 2 test/practice drivers: Takis Kaitatzis and Nikos Zahos as race drivers, Stelios Nousias and Vasilis Papafilippou as test drivers. I had never heard of them before and haven't heard of them since. Wikipedia says they did not enter again due to lack of funds (plausible, considering how long Korea lasted the following season...) but at the time, I heard that their drivers had to to their compulsory military service at around that time and no replacements were available...

who?
Some say GPWS is a bit mad...It is, but blame that godawful Jean Marie-Biasti...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

MansellsEyebrows wrote:
dr-baker wrote:
DanielPT wrote:You have Alexandros Margaritis that was competing in the FIA GT1 Championship last year (As was Deletraz).

who?

Exactly. :D I remembered the team existing briefly, not the drivers!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
dnhrudi

Post by dnhrudi »

I think I saw one of them in Greek F3 in the early mid 90's. Went to 2 meetings, both events could be kindly described as having a certain comedy quality...