trivia question....

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
TomWazzleshaw

Re: trivia question....

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Lower (This is almost like The Price is Right)
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Wizzie wrote:Lower (This is almost like The Price is Right)

Exactly what I was thinking.
Anyway, 1/5
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

tommykl wrote:
Wizzie wrote:Lower (This is almost like The Price is Right)

Exactly what I was thinking.
Anyway, 1/5

Higher
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

1/7
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

tommykl wrote:1/7

I could say lower but it'ld give it away :lol:
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

8 attempts...that's only a tad more than 5 when yoou think about it.

TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Here's another one:

Why was one of the practice sessions for the first Malaysian Grand Prix halted?
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

Wizzie wrote:Here's another one:

Was it because it was too hot & the new tarmac started to break?

Or perhaps a kerb / rumble strip came loose?
Coming January 2019 a new F1 book revisiting 1994.

Pre order it here; www.performancepublishing.co.uk/1994-th ... eason.html

The book's website; www.1994f1.com/
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

ibsey wrote:
Wizzie wrote:Here's another one:

Was it because it was too hot & the new tarmac started to break?

Or perhaps a kerb / rumble strip came loose?

No. It's slightly more ridiculous than that.
Myrvold

Post by Myrvold »

Not enough marshalls?
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Not quite as ridiculous as that.

HINT: Think back to Canada 2007.
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

Wizzie wrote:Not quite as ridiculous as that.

Canada 2007...wasn't that the race, when Ant Davidson hit a goffer which cost him the chance to score points for Sooper Aguri?

Therefore was there a problem with wildlife getting onto the track?

TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

ibsey wrote:
Wizzie wrote:Not quite as ridiculous as that.

Canada 2007...wasn't that the race, when Ant Davidson hit a goffer which cost him the chance to score points for Sooper Aguri?

Therefore was there a problem with wildlife getting onto the track?

Bingo! Now, can you guess what the wildlife in question was? :lol:
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

Haven't got a clue....but i'll say a dog, since Bruno Senna hit a dog in a GP2 race in Turkey 2008.

tommykl

Post by tommykl »

A snake, I'd say.

TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

tommykl wrote:A snake, I'd say.

It was a cobra to be exact but that'll do.
Ed24

Post by Ed24 »

This has gone quiet for almost a week now, so I'll add a new question:

Which current driver has finished on the podium in the last 6 races in a certain country?
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
-Abraham Lincoln
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

It's Schumacher in Magny-Cours :) (French GP)

2001: 1st, 2002: 1st, 2003: 3rd, 2004: 1st, 2005: 3rd, 2006: 1st

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
mario

Post by mario »

Ed24 wrote:This has gone quiet for almost a week now, so I'll add a new question:

Which current driver has finished on the podium in the last 6 races in a certain country?

Could you clarify your question a bit more - are these six races over the past six years, are they for a circuit currently on the calendar list, and do they have to be the last six races that have occurred there, or just the last six races that driver drove there?
You see, I was thinking of Michael Schumacher, and the French Grand Prix - he won the event in 2001, 2002, 2004 and 2006, with 3rd places in 2003 and 2005, which would give you your run of six podium finishes in six years, although the event was not dropped from the calendar until after he retired. The same logic would also apply to the United States GP, where in fact it'd extend over seven years (1st in 2000, 2003, 2004, 2005 and 2006, with 2nd place in 2001 and 2002), but again the race continued after Schumacher retired from the sport.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Ed24

Post by Ed24 »

Schumacher at Magny-Cours or Indianapolis are not the answers I'm looking for.

To clarify, the question refers to a driver being on the podium in the 6 most recent races that have taken place in a country.
-Abraham Lincoln
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

It's a trick question.
Felipe Massa has podiums in the 2006, 2008, 2009 and 2010 German GPs and the 2006 and 2007 European GPs.

Ed24

Post by Ed24 »

tommykl wrote:It's a trick question.
Felipe Massa has podiums in the 2006, 2008, 2009 and 2010 German GPs and the 2006 and 2007 European GPs.

Yes, well done. :)

2006 European GP - 3rd (first ever podium - so is unbeaten for podiums in Germany in a Ferrari)
2006 German GP - 2nd (formation finish behind Schumacher)
2007 European GP - 2nd (led 47 of the 60 laps, but Alonso caught him during the late shower)
2008 German GP - 3rd (Piquet finished 2nd after a lucky safety car, which means that this was probably the race that partly led to Renault's Singapore cheating, and which arguably cost Massa the championship. Led 3 laps)
2009 German GP - 3rd (Long first stint helped him to 3rd after a Kovalainen train. Led 5 laps)
2010 German GP - 2nd (led 40 of first 48 laps before team orders)

So despite the podiums, and leading almost 100 laps, he really hasn't got that many good memories in Germany.
-Abraham Lincoln
David AGS

Post by David AGS »

Massa has a excellent record in Turkey:

DNF= 2005
1st 2006
1st 2007
1st 2008
6th 2009
7th 2010

Not a question, but put my 2 bobs worth!
Miserable Thierry (Boutsen) staggers round mostly on ten cylinders (out of 12) with no clutch, low oil pressure, bad brakes and no grip to finish tenth, 3 laps down...

(Murray Walkers review of Boutsen's Brazil 1991 race).

Thats a point these days!
Tealy

Post by Tealy »

Massa drives like me playing F1 2010. Amazing on certain tracks, absolutely rubbish on others and he has a terrible tendency to spin a lot particularly in the rain :P
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Same for me on the rain :lol:
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
Jeroen Krautmeir

Post by Jeroen Krautmeir »

For me, I'm Bellof-esque in the rain, okay in the dry, and absolute rubbish on Tilkedomes.

EDIT: Hold on, you're talking about F1 2010? I only have F1C...
Last edited by Jeroen Krautmeir on 02 May 2011, 01:46, edited 1 time in total.
Honourary Youngest Forum Member, Joint Mackem Of The Forum

"When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting".
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

My game keeps crashing/freezing before I even get to a race - does that make me the Claudio Langes of F1 10?
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

shinji wrote:My game keeps crashing/freezing before I even get to a race - does that make me the Claudio Langes of F1 10?

I had that problem on F1 2010 on PS3. You need to uninstall + reinstall the game on your HD. If that doesn't sort out the crashing / freezing problem, then hello Claudio Langes.

ibsey

Post by ibsey »

OK got another question for you lot. When drivers stall on the grid prior to the start of a race, they are usually penalised by being sent to the back of the grid for the restart. However this rule was only introduced after a certain driver stalled his car on purpose... for a very absurd reason.

Can you name the driver involved & have a guess at the reason why this driver purposely stalled his car on the grid?

(Hint; The driver involved, was not exactly unknown for doing silly things like this)

Also you get a bouns pat on the back from me, if you can name the year & race this driver did this act (I don't even know the answer to that, but would love to find out).

James1978

Post by James1978 »

I want to say De Cesaris or Arnoux but something makes me think it was even before their days......
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

James1978 wrote:I want to say De Cesaris or Arnoux but something makes me think it was even before their days......

Bingo... you correctly identified De Cesaris as the driver involved. Can you guess why De Cesaris decided to stall his car on purpose?

James1978

Post by James1978 »

I don't know which race it was or why, it was just a stab in the dark! The only thing I can sort of think of was something to do with fuel rationing in the 80s turbo era, so he could get the race shortened if he was marginal on fuel?
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I reckon it was something to do with the car-to-pits radio and not yet having the ear pieces in yet?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

dr-baker wrote:I reckon it was something to do with the car-to-pits radio and not yet having the ear pieces in yet?

You are absolutely spot on Dr Baker, well done!. Basically De Cesaris realised he didn't have his car-to-pits radio ear pieces in yet...hence he decided to stall his engine to cause a delay.

I must admit, I didn't think anyone would get the correct answer so soon.

According to Martin Brundle, it was actually quite common practice amongst drivers to purposely stall their cars on the grid, for simliar reasons. However following this particular incident (which I guess took place around mid 80's), the FIA decided to penalise the driver responsible for the delay owing to the disruption it caused to both TV stations & other F1 drivers.

Myrvold

Post by Myrvold »

Tealy wrote:Massa drives like me playing F1 2010. Amazing on certain tracks, absolutely rubbish on others and he has a terrible tendency to spin a lot particularly in the rain :P

Wrong assumption really.

In 07 and 08 the seasons where he became known for being bambi on the ice, he took more points than any other driver on the wet races.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

ibsey wrote:
dr-baker wrote:I reckon it was something to do with the car-to-pits radio and not yet having the ear pieces in yet?

You are absolutely spot on Dr Baker, well done!. Basically De Cesaris realised he didn't have his car-to-pits radio ear pieces in yet...hence he decided to stall his engine to cause a delay.

I must admit, I didn't think anyone would get the correct answer so soon.

According to Martin Brundle, it was actually quite common practice amongst drivers to purposely stall their cars on the grid, for similar reasons. However following this particular incident (which I guess took place around mid 80's), the FIA decided to penalise the driver responsible for the delay owing to the disruption it caused to both TV stations & other F1 drivers.

To be honest, I had heard the story before but couldn't initially remember to whom it referred. So I let someone else come up with the name first!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

OK, got another question for you lot.

Can you name a particularly race, where a team's two drivers crashed so often during FP & Qualifying, that the team actually ran out of spare nosecone's for the race? Therefore they only had the ones left on the two cars come the actual race.

Hint; Despite the two drivers in question being on strict instructions not to crash during the race, one of the drivers crashed out at the 1st corner in the race (damaging his nosecone in the process, suprisingly) & the other one crashed out soon afterwards (but I can't remember whether he did damage his nosecone or not, I reckon he probably did). Maldonado antics today reminded me of this.

TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

ibsey wrote:OK, got another question for you lot.

Can you name a particularly race, where a team's two drivers crashed so often during FP & Qualifying, that the team actually ran out of spare nosecone's for the race? Therefore they only had the ones left on the two cars come the actual race.

Hint; Despite the two drivers in question being on strict instructions not to crash during the race, one of the drivers crashed out at the 1st corner in the race (damaging his nosecone in the process, suprisingly) & the other one crashed out soon afterwards (but I can't remember whether he did damage his nosecone or not, I reckon he probably did). Maldonado antics today reminded me of this.

Footwork Arrows, 1996 Monaco Grand Prix (I watched the race the other day which is why I remember it)
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

Wizzie wrote:
ibsey wrote:OK, got another question for you lot.

Footwork Arrows, 1996 Monaco Grand Prix (I watched the race the other day which is why I remember it)

Well done Wizzie. Really didn't think anyone would get it that quickly.

Did Rosset also damage his nosecone? From my vague recollection, I think he crashed at La Rasscase?

TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

ibsey wrote:
Well done Wizzie. Really didn't think anyone would get it that quickly.

Did Rosset also damage his nosecone? From my vague recollection, I think he crashed at La Rasscase?

He did go off at la Rasscase but I'm fairly certain he went into the wall backwards.