Sergio Perez - one stopper - wtf

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
jackanderton

Sergio Perez - one stopper - wtf

Post by jackanderton »

Come on then, how did the lad manage that? I'm guessing he isn't superhuman- we had Webber and Alonso chewing up Pirellis so quickly they 3-stopped and their laptimes fell away 10 laps after the change. Meanwhile Perez keeps a near constant race pace on two sets of tyres for 58 laps that everyone has been worried about 5 second drop-offs after 15-20 laps.

I remember one race last year, Valencia possibly, where Kobayashi stayed out on 1 set of tyres practically the whole race. Do Sauber have some sort of super setup that's kind on tyres?

What's even more impressive is that it was done from midfield where tyre wear is usually greater due to the likelihood of being involved in overtakes, late braking, lock-ups etc, etc.

And finally, he seems a really nice guy, which in my book turns Sauber into my team to follow this season.
Tealy

Re: Sergio Perez - one stopper - wtf

Post by Tealy »

jackanderton wrote:Come on then, how did the lad manage that? I'm guessing he isn't superhuman- we had Webber and Alonso chewing up Pirellis so quickly they 3-stopped and their laptimes fell away 10 laps after the change. Meanwhile Perez keeps a near constant race pace on two sets of tyres for 58 laps that everyone has been worried about 5 second drop-offs after 15-20 laps.

I remember one race last year, Valencia possibly, where Kobayashi stayed out on 1 set of tyres practically the whole race. Do Sauber have some sort of super setup that's kind on tyres?

What's even more impressive is that it was done from midfield where tyre wear is usually greater due to the likelihood of being involved in overtakes, late braking, lock-ups etc, etc.

And finally, he seems a really nice guy, which in my book turns Sauber into my team to follow this season.

My best guess is a mixture of his driving style, the car being light on the tyres and the fact he rarely overtook anyone which meant he didn't leave the racing line too often. It's possible other drivers could have done the same but didn't take the risk for fear of the tyres dying on them in the last few laps. Perez made a calculated risk and it paid off for him.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Indeed, excellent debut from him - certainly shows that Peter Sauber still knows how to pick a promising young driver.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
LukeB

Post by LukeB »

They should use that lake to test if he's a witch.
Making up the numbers
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

LukeB wrote:They should use that lake to test if he's a witch.

As soon as I read that this came to mind.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Must be that technical illegality! :P
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Quickly! Before he turns Kobayashi into a newt!
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
patrick

Post by patrick »

Makes me think, the only car to one stop was part developed by someone who tested tyres for pirelli. is it possible sauber gained a lot more from hiring Heidfeld than we originally thought?
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

patrick wrote:Makes me think, the only car to one stop was part developed by someone who tested tyres for pirelli. is it possible sauber gained a lot more from hiring Heidfeld than we originally thought?

And Heidfeld's development of the Lada-Renault allowed Petrol to finish third?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Jeroen Krautmeir

Post by Jeroen Krautmeir »

dr-baker wrote:
patrick wrote:Makes me think, the only car to one stop was part developed by someone who tested tyres for pirelli. is it possible sauber gained a lot more from hiring Heidfeld than we originally thought?

And Heidfeld's development of the Lada-Renault allowed Petrol to finish third?

Nick, please join HRT.

No matter if they have money or not
Honourary Youngest Forum Member, Joint Mackem Of The Forum

"When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting".
mario

Post by mario »

Tealy wrote:
jackanderton wrote:Come on then, how did the lad manage that? I'm guessing he isn't superhuman- we had Webber and Alonso chewing up Pirellis so quickly they 3-stopped and their laptimes fell away 10 laps after the change. Meanwhile Perez keeps a near constant race pace on two sets of tyres for 58 laps that everyone has been worried about 5 second drop-offs after 15-20 laps.

My best guess is a mixture of his driving style, the car being light on the tyres and the fact he rarely overtook anyone which meant he didn't leave the racing line too often. It's possible other drivers could have done the same but didn't take the risk for fear of the tyres dying on them in the last few laps. Perez made a calculated risk and it paid off for him.

Pirelli were just as astounded as anybody else - they went as far as saying that they thought there must have been some sort of mistake, and that Perez had stopped twice. He did say after the race that he had been careful not to push too early - he came out behind Vettel at one point, but decided to drop back and out of his turbulent wake to stop the car sliding and wearing the tyres out more quickly. Then there are a few more factors in play - the circuit is not especially tough on the tyres, his driving style was especially smooth and the car was pretty gentle on the tyres, all of which helped - even so, Paul Hembrey (Pirelli's representative) said that he thought Perez's drive is probably more of a one off. http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/ma ... grand-prix

The irony is that neither Perez or Sauber has planned on a 1 stopper to begin with - they originally wanted to two stop, like Kobayashi and most of the field did, but Perez's times were so consistent that they just left him out there. It's just a shame that his efforts went to waste with that DSQ...
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"