Your Reject of the Race - Abu Dhabi!

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Chewie

Re: Your Reject of the Race - Abu Dhabi!

Post by Chewie »

Jordan192 wrote:I'm actually going to say Schumacher. It was a nasty accident with Liuzzi, but his spin was just caused by the kind of overexubrance on cold tyres he should really know better than.

I'm sure that when he sees the replays and realises he is lucky to still have a head; he'll think being Reject of the Race is small fry. :D
How ironic; Alonso loses because the Renault in front of him doesn't crash, or indeed feel inclined to pull over and let him pass!!!
Collieafc

Post by Collieafc »

eytl wrote:
Ed24 wrote:I'd love to give it to Fred or Mark, but I'll instead give it to;

FIA regulations - its a pity when a championship is decided because cars can't follow one another. Tilke could also be considered for a joint award.

I like the thinking - Kuwashima and I were discussing exactly the same thing for the last 40 laps ...

I will also go for that. We are all talking about how close the season was but was there any time in any race where drivers Really went full-on at each other? (besides Turkey which turned really messy) It was only close as thats just how they coincidentally seemed to finish

However I am going to cause a lot of controversy by giving a dishonourable mention to those who suggest either Schumacher or Liuzzi were at fault for their incident. I have watched it several times and Schumacher did not seem to be doing anything wrong, indeed he was touched by Rosberg. As for Liuzzi, ok, he ploughed into him but when theres about 10 cars fighting over the same bit of tarmac, somethings going to go wrong. Same reason why I never voted Barrichello for Spa.
DanielPT wrote:Life usually expires after 400 meters and always before reaching 2 laps or so. In essence, Life is short.
jackanderton

Post by jackanderton »

1. Ferrari strategists

Before you take a risk that plummets your driver down to 15th, you check a)how easy overtaking is on track and b) what number 1 and number 2 on track are doing.

You don't look at what a driver behind you with a now very slim chance of winning who needs to have a final throw of the dice in order to get anywhere is doing.

Overtaking was very hard and the best bet was to stay out in front and get some space between yourself and the slower cars. Alonso spent his time behind Petrov looking like a fool that had backed the wrong horse.

2 Schumacher

It's been a while since a plain old spin like that from a driver near the front. I was shouting at Brundle who kept saying Rosberg had touched him when he clearly hadn't.
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

Ferrari. They completely f***ked the strategy today.

HM to Alonso for his cool-down (it wasn't really cool-down for him) lap antics
rffp

Post by rffp »

I was going to give to Webber, but Fernando Alonso did his utter best to deserve it.
He had an overcautious approach to the race, made the wrong strategy and then he blamed Petrov for his failure? What an idiot and a sore loser! He is a brat that has been accostumed to being spoiled during his whole career. He should grow to be a man and show some dignity in the track and some character outside of it! I never seen such an idiot like this one!
A fan of Roberto Pupo Moreno, the one and only, the legend!
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Fernando Alonso for acting like Kyle Busch and for whining that Petrov just beat his ass on the track.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

'Nando!
Myrvold

Post by Myrvold »

Collieafc wrote:However I am going to cause a lot of controversy by giving a dishonourable mention to those who suggest either Schumacher or Liuzzi were at fault for their incident. I have watched it several times and Schumacher did not seem to be doing anything wrong, indeed he was touched by Rosberg. As for Liuzzi, ok, he ploughed into him but when theres about 10 cars fighting over the same bit of tarmac, somethings going to go wrong. Same reason why I never voted Barrichello for Spa.

Brundle said post-race that he had spoken to some stewards and the telemetri shows that there was no contact between the Mercedes-drivers.
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

There can only be one winner of this. As I never had Webber on my list as a championship contender until he suddenly surprised me by being 1st in the standings earlier in the season, I don't hold any grudge because of him not making it. He just didn't get his setup right to do it this time.

Therefore, my nominee is Ferrari's strategy. They concentrated so much on Webber that they missed the implications of the safety car (Petrov, Rosberg, and who else?). Alonso was stuck behind Petrov who gave all he got to retain his seat for next season, which he probably achieved today. And Massa couldn't get past Alguersuari either.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

My nominations:

Mark Webber: Pitted early and never recovered
Bridgestone: Soft tyres aren't meant to last 40 laps *Facepalm*
The regulations: The straights at Abu Dhabi are longer than most runways and yes almost nobody could get past anyone else

But my ROTR is:

Ferrari: Trumped Red Bull in the "How to lose a Championship" stakes
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
the Masked Lapwing

Post by the Masked Lapwing »

Alonso's strategy - :lol:
As much as I hate to say it... Webber - Choke?
Trulli's rear wing - How did that happen?
Massa - How did not pass Alguersuari?
R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

I'm not going to nominate any drivers as frankly that was mostly a snoozefest on yet another dullodrome where you can't overtake. Well, that and the fact that I wanted Alonso to win so I'm not going to nominate him! I don't think he drove really badly, just...sulkily maybe. As I said, it's not much of a passing circuit anyway.

Legard - The final straw. Basic errors over and over again from the very first corner (can't remember what he said then but something blatantly wrong) onwards. My favourite being when Trulli appeared on screen - 'Oh, he's lost his front wing!' Really? What's that ****ing massive gap doing where the rear wing used to be then?! PLEASE can we have someone else next year?

Everyone going on about how this was the best season EVER - No, it really wasn't. Don't let a few great races fool you. All title protagonists made far too many errors this year and the quality of the driving from them at times was atrocious. Seasons like 86 or 88 or even 91 were much better for me. Oh, and no new teams scoring points and the only unrejectified driver being Petrov? Pfffffffffttttttt.
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Can I send a second nomination for the race marshalls for leaving a white splodge on the track after the Schumacher-Liuzzi incident?
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Barbazza wrote:Everyone going on about how this was the best season EVER - No, it really wasn't. Don't let a few great races fool you. All title protagonists made far too many errors this year and the quality of the driving from them at times was atrocious. Seasons like 86 or 88 or even 91 were much better for me. Oh, and no new teams scoring points and the only unrejectified driver being Petrov? Pfffffffffttttttt.

Yes, because single-team dominance is a great thing for Formula 1. :roll: Senna and Prost made just as many errors as title protagonists made this year.

I blame the aerodynamics on the cars and everyone who constantly moans about safety which means you can't cut turn 6 and take the hairpin at 7, or can't use the possible passing zone at (I think) 11.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Barbazza wrote:Legard - The final straw. Basic errors over and over again from the very first corner (can't remember what he said then but something blatantly wrong) onwards. My favourite being when Trulli appeared on screen - 'Oh, he's lost his front wing!' Really? What's that ****ing massive gap doing where the rear wing used to be then?! PLEASE can we have someone else next year?

He was never very good, but this year he's got more and more terrible every race. Get Anthony Davidson or David Croft in there instead. Or better yet, both.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Post by ADx_Wales »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:
Barbazza wrote:Legard - The final straw. Basic errors over and over again from the very first corner (can't remember what he said then but something blatantly wrong) onwards. My favourite being when Trulli appeared on screen - 'Oh, he's lost his front wing!' Really? What's that ****ing massive gap doing where the rear wing used to be then?! PLEASE can we have someone else next year?

He was never very good, but this year he's got more and more terrible every race. Get Anthony Davidson or David Croft in there instead. Or better yet, both.

Croft noticed Kobayashi making a mistake exiting turn one as Vettel came out of the pits, which probably wouldnt have made a difference, but its the minute details such as that, that Legard and Allan have missed.

And what a downer after a tense race, to have James fricking Allen do the interviews.
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:

Just Crofty, I'd like to see Davidson back in an F1 car, just to unrejectify himself.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Cynon wrote:Yes, because single-team dominance is a great thing for Formula 1. :roll: Senna and Prost made just as many errors as title protagonists made this year.

I never said anything about wanting single team dominance. One of the years I mentioned was 86, where we also had 3 great teams.
rffp

Post by rffp »

Barbazza wrote:I never said anything about wanting single team dominance. One of the years I mentioned was 86, where we also had 3 great teams.

Williams and McLaren were great teams in 1986, who was the third? Lotus? That is a stretch...
A fan of Roberto Pupo Moreno, the one and only, the legend!
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

ADx_Wales wrote:Croft noticed Kobayashi making a mistake exiting turn one as Vettel came out of the pits, which probably wouldnt have made a difference, but its the minute details such as that, that Legard and Allan have missed.

And what a downer after a tense race, to have James fricking Allen do the interviews.

Actually, I find that James Allen is not that bad as a regular reporter. Just keep him the hell away from the commentary booth.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
LukeB

Post by LukeB »

Last nomination, We Are The Champions. Someone needs to dig a large hole and bury every copy of that tired worn out song. If you must play Queen (and you really don't have too, please) at least go with "Can't Stop Me Now. It hasen't been run into the ground by being played at the end of every season in every sport ever, and it's a much better song anyway.
Making up the numbers
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

LukeB wrote:Last nomination, We Are The Champions. Someone needs to dig a large hole and bury every copy of that tired worn out song. If you must play Queen (and you really don't have too, please) at least go with "Can't Stop Me Now. It hasen't been run into the ground by being played at the end of every season in every sport ever, and it's a much better song anyway.

Oi! We Are The Champions is a good song... but only when it's played live by Queen.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Jeroen Krautmeir

Post by Jeroen Krautmeir »

Wizzie wrote:
LukeB wrote:Last nomination, We Are The Champions. Someone needs to dig a large hole and bury every copy of that tired worn out song. If you must play Queen (and you really don't have too, please) at least go with "Can't Stop Me Now. It hasen't been run into the ground by being played at the end of every season in every sport ever, and it's a much better song anyway.

Oi! We Are The Champions is a good song... but only when it's played live by Queen.

Seconded!

EDIT: Fernando Alonso is ROTR in my opinion, simply for that disgusting act at the end of the race to Petrov. If you can't pass him, too bad. Honourary mentions go to Mark Webber, and myself, for thinking RBR sabotaged Mark's car.
Honourary Youngest Forum Member, Joint Mackem Of The Forum

"When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting".
muttley

Post by muttley »

1. ROTR goes obviously to Ferrari for its poor choice of strategy, although...
2. ...the track gets the second place. It looks cool and I like the pits tunnel, but yesterday there were less overtakes than Monaco, but also less shunts than Monaco. Abu Dhabi is boring!
Collieafc

Post by Collieafc »

Myrvold wrote:
Collieafc wrote:However I am going to cause a lot of controversy by giving a dishonourable mention to those who suggest either Schumacher or Liuzzi were at fault for their incident. I have watched it several times and Schumacher did not seem to be doing anything wrong, indeed he was touched by Rosberg. As for Liuzzi, ok, he ploughed into him but when theres about 10 cars fighting over the same bit of tarmac, somethings going to go wrong. Same reason why I never voted Barrichello for Spa.

Brundle said post-race that he had spoken to some stewards and the telemetri shows that there was no contact between the Mercedes-drivers.

If that is true, I will retract my dishonourable mention and give it to both Schumacher for spinning on his own, and to Brundle for misleading me!
DanielPT wrote:Life usually expires after 400 meters and always before reaching 2 laps or so. In essence, Life is short.
Libertango

Post by Libertango »

LukeB wrote: If you must play Queen (and you really don't have too, please) at least go with "Can't Stop Me Now. It hasen't been run into the ground by being played at the end of every season in every sport ever, and it's a much better song anyway.

Did you mean "Don't stop me now" ?
LukeB

Post by LukeB »

Libertango wrote:
LukeB wrote: If you must play Queen (and you really don't have too, please) at least go with "Can't Stop Me Now. It hasen't been run into the ground by being played at the end of every season in every sport ever, and it's a much better song anyway.

Did you mean "Don't stop me now" ?

I did indeed. Hell I was halfway tempted to just call it "that song from Shaun Of The Dead". Curse my lack of knowledege of Queen!
Making up the numbers
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

rffp wrote:Williams and McLaren were great teams in 1986, who was the third? Lotus? That is a stretch...

Senna made it look a much better car than it was admittedly, but my point was that we had some great driving that year while in many races this year it's been more about which of the big 5 has thrown it away!
RAK

Post by RAK »

Fernando Alonso and his strategists: Alonso had the trump cards coming into the Grand Prix, with a big gap over Sebastian Vettel and a dismal qualifying from Mark Webber. This was all thrown away by an early pit-stop which left him trying - and failing - to get past Petrov, who, to be fair, wasn't going to yield when his career depended on it. Even with the track being incompatible with overtaking to some extent, this goes to vindicate my view of Alonso not being a great wheel-to-wheel racer. Also, his little tantrum at Petrov was hilarious.
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
captainhappy

Post by captainhappy »

Captain Hammer wrote:My Reject is Fernando Alonso for a disgusting display of bad sportsmanship at the end of the race. If he cannot get past Petrov, well, that's on him. Petrov is entitled to race for position, and Alonso's display of frustration was a terrible performance. And really, it was proof of why he never deserved it in the first place.

Who wants a robot? I want to see my sportsmen lose their minds and scream every profanity there is in Spanish, after watching his championship fade for 40 laps.

As much as I want to hear my sportsmen choke back the tears of triumph.

Be mortal first, a sportsman second.
I wake up in the morning and piss excellence
ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Post by ADx_Wales »

captainhappy wrote:
Captain Hammer wrote:My Reject is Fernando Alonso for a disgusting display of bad sportsmanship at the end of the race. If he cannot get past Petrov, well, that's on him. Petrov is entitled to race for position, and Alonso's display of frustration was a terrible performance. And really, it was proof of why he never deserved it in the first place.

Who wants a robot? I want to see my sportsmen lose their minds and scream every profanity there is in Spanish, after watching his championship fade for 40 laps.

All alonso had to do was forece Petrov into mistake making, and he didnt even try other than that one time, if anything petrov should have been the one to show the display of frustration "fernando ,why did you not even try ?!"
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989
RAK

Post by RAK »

captainhappy wrote:Who wants a robot? I want to see my sportsmen lose their minds and scream every profanity there is in Spanish, after watching his championship fade for 40 laps.

If For Whom The Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway still counts as an accurate depiction of Spanish profanities, there's going to be a lot of defecation in dairy products.
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

captainhappy wrote:Who wants a robot? I want to see my sportsmen lose their minds and scream every profanity there is in Spanish, after watching his championship fade for 40 laps.

I'm on that line of thought as well. In fact, being Portuguese, I am happy to admit that Spanish is the world's best language to swear on, and I'd like to think that Fernando has woken up every single morning since Sunday and started cursing, swearing and generally throwing stuff around before even greeting the wife good morning.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

CarlosFerreira wrote:I am happy to admit that Spanish is the world's best language to swear on

Finnish begs to differ, I could make a long list of the cursewords used here. Although I don't doubt that Spanish has many good ones as well.

A little bit off-topic: if Vettel had lost the title because of, for example, another mechanical failure, most likely he would've thrown a good bit of Finnish curse words in. He has been taught Finnish by his physical trainer, and Vettel hasn't been shy about it when interviewed by the Finnish TV, most notably asking where his invitation to the President's Independence Day Reception is after clinching the title. In clear Finnish, of course.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Nuppiz wrote:
CarlosFerreira wrote:I am happy to admit that Spanish is the world's best language to swear on

Finnish begs to differ, I could make a long list of the cursewords used here.

Hungarian, related to the Finnish language a bit, also begs to differ.

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

CarlosFerreira wrote:

I'm on that line of thought as well. In fact, being Portuguese, I am happy to admit that Spanish is the world's best language to swear on, and I'd like to think that Fernando has woken up every single morning since Sunday and started cursing, swearing and generally throwing stuff around before even greeting the wife good morning.

A Spanish Malcolm Tucker???* Blimey, that would turly be something.

*Watch The Thick of It folks.
captainhappy

Post by captainhappy »

RAK wrote:

If For Whom The Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway still counts as an accurate depiction of Spanish profanities, there's going to be a lot of defecation in dairy products.

Thanks, I will put this on my reading list quick smart.

Do we say quick smart in Canada? No. Who owns that bit of jargon; I must have heard it on the podcast.
I wake up in the morning and piss excellence
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Nuppiz wrote:

Finnish begs to differ, I could make a long list of the cursewords used here. Although I don't doubt that Spanish has many good ones as well.

What? Me cagüen la hostia puta, joder, coño, carajo. Leches ya, mierda, puñetas.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

The only ones I know are mierda and puta
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Shizuka wrote:
Nuppiz wrote:

Finnish begs to differ, I could make a long list of the cursewords used here.

Hungarian, related to the Finnish language a bit, also begs to differ.

I once heard my friend's mother start swearing at someone in Russian. So I would say that also begs to differ...