2010 Brazil GP discussion thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
patrick

Re: 2010 Brazil GP discussion thread

Post by patrick »

ADx_Wales wrote:If an F1 driver gets attacked to be robbed then SURELY they need to get away from that particular venue. How on earth can Silverstone have it's position as an F1 race threatend because "its facilites arent good enough" when stuff like this happens in places that have NO PLACE in F1.

Of course you're right about Silverstone, but I would hardly say Brazil has "no place" in F1. Sao Paulo is indeed a rough place, but let us not forget that Karun Chandhok and his manager were successfully robbed at Monza. Does that mean F1 should leave Italy too?
Cities are big, and not all full of nice people - this could have happened anywhere. Let's just be happy Jenson and his friends are fine. And disappointed that there were no tales of him grabbing the wheel in an exciting manner :P
rffp

Post by rffp »

10:00 AM in São Paulo.
Few clouds in the sky but no indication of rain.
A fan of Roberto Pupo Moreno, the one and only, the legend!
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

shinji wrote:
Peter wrote:Just for the lolz.

Not pictured: Nico Hulkenberg miles ahead of them all.

What he said...

Histerically funny - Hulkenberg did give everyone a driving lesson out there, keeping his tyres on the right temperature while keeping it on the island. Great stuff, and positively unflustered. Contrasts nicely with, say, Vettel's celebratory style.

Spare a thought for the other protagonists in the ongoing battle for being The Next Great German Champion: Rosberg and Sutil are all of a sudden staring down an enormous gaping hole.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Myrvold

Post by Myrvold »

It don't take much from being a person which "most think he have some talent" to "the next german superstar". It was a good job, but I don't think he could do it again!
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Myrvold wrote:It don't take much from being a person which "most think he have some talent" to "the next german superstar". It was a good job, but I don't think he could do it again!

I thought that about Vettel when he scored pole in Monza.

Come to think of it, I still do.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
rffp

Post by rffp »

2 hours for the start and clouds are moving south from where I am towards Interlagos. There could be rain, but the chances are not large, I would say.
patrick

Post by patrick »

quick question. If Button had been unable to race due to last night, would Paffett be allowed to race instead? and if so would he have kept the same grid position? Or do driver entries have to be sorted on the thursday and are set in stone, leaving Button's car empty for the race?

rffp wrote:2 hours for the start and clouds are moving south from where I am towards Interlagos. There could be rain, but the chances are not large, I would say.

interesting! keep us posted! are you going to watch at the circuit?
ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Post by ADx_Wales »

patrick wrote:Sao Paulo is indeed a rough place, but let us not forget that Karun Chandhok and his manager were successfully robbed at Monza. Does that mean F1 should leave Italy too?

You do realise I'm going to say yes to that. :P
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989
rffp

Post by rffp »

patrick wrote:quick question. If Button had been unable to race due to last night, would Paffett be allowed to race instead? and if so would he have kept the same grid position? Or do driver entries have to be sorted on the thursday and are set in stone, leaving Button's car empty for the race?

rffp wrote:2 hours for the start and clouds are moving south from where I am towards Interlagos. There could be rain, but the chances are not large, I would say.

interesting! keep us posted! are you going to watch at the circuit?

I don't think a reserve driver would be allowed to fill in the spot, McLaren would have only 1 car.

Not this year, I got a 10 months-old daughter to attend! But next year, I plan to go to the Indycar race. I am north from the track, and I see that further north more clouds are forming, but still many blue patches in the sky.
GwilymJJames

Post by GwilymJJames »

patrick wrote:quick question. If Button had been unable to race due to last night, would Paffett be allowed to race instead? and if so would he have kept the same grid position? Or do driver entries have to be sorted on the thursday and are set in stone, leaving Button's car empty for the race?

It's either that you have to compete in qualifiying or you have to drive in one Saturday session; I forget which. Which is why Kobayashi wasn't in the Toyota at Japan last year.

Bruno Senna has had a gearbox change; giving him a meaningless five place grid penalty.
WARNING: Vettel fan.

Shut up Eccles!
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Not sure Jake Humphrey's maths lesson is really going to be grabbing the casual viewers watching the late afternoon race on the BBC!

Really looking forward to this one, though. Don't disappoint us, guys!
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

ADx_Wales wrote:
patrick wrote:Sao Paulo is indeed a rough place, but let us not forget that Karun Chandhok and his manager were successfully robbed at Monza. Does that mean F1 should leave Italy too?

You do realise I'm going to say yes to that. :P

It provides an excellent opportunity for F1 to leave that dreadful Monza track for good.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
LukeB

Post by LukeB »

So who's up for a trip to Valencia next season? Just remember to bring your balaclavas.
Making up the numbers
rffp

Post by rffp »

30 minutes to start and no sign of rain, although the sky to the east is overcast!
GwilymJJames

Post by GwilymJJames »

Klien's HRT has stopped on the track and has been brought into the pitlane. Autosport reports his chances of starting are "slim".
WARNING: Vettel fan.

Shut up Eccles!
Jeroen Krautmeir

Post by Jeroen Krautmeir »

I haven't been this excited about a race since Brazil 2008, where I fondly remember throwing practically every object in front of me. I then proceeded to stomp into my room, and slam the door shut. Then I leaped into my bed, where I began shedding tears of distraught. I'm not too negative about Lewis anymore though. If Nico gets a podium, I wont be able to sleep, if he wins, god knows what I'll do. :D

But knowing Williams' terrible strategy, he might very well end up with nothing. That, or the Cosworth engine, which has been the most reliable all season, will blow up with a few laps to go. About that, there is an article on the WilliamsF1 site about Cosworth's first pole since 1999. They were calling it the Brazilian connection, but perhaps went too far by mixing up the facts, ie, saying Senna's last pole was at Brazil 1993.

Anyway....

THE HULK!!!!!!
Honourary Youngest Forum Member, Joint Mackem Of The Forum

"When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting".
Dan B

Post by Dan B »

GwilymJJames wrote:Klien's HRT has stopped on the track and has been brought into the pitlane. Autosport reports his chances of starting are "slim".

Sasetti would be proud. The thing never exited the pit lane!
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

I almost got kicked out of the BRDC clubhouse at Silverstone yesterday, where I was watching qualifying. 2 of my mates who were there are design engineers with Force India and stand to get a significant bonus if Force India hold off Williams for 6th place in the constructors' championship. When The Incredible Hulk did his 1st pole lap (which he improved later on) they jumped off their chairs at the same time and shouted 'bastard' at the screen. This did not go down well.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
F1000X

Post by F1000X »

Hulkenberg, if you lose that podium position, you better take Fernando with you. God speed Nico.

OH COME ON.
"Sebastian Bourdais- he once was a champ, but now he's a chump." -Will Power
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Nice defending Hulkenberg. Especially when Hamilton dived down the inside.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Jeroen Krautmeir

Post by Jeroen Krautmeir »

Get out of the way Vitaly....
Honourary Youngest Forum Member, Joint Mackem Of The Forum

"When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting".
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

Red Bull for 2010 WCC, it seems.
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
Henrique

Post by Henrique »

Yeah, but I doubt Webber will celebrate if the race ends like this.
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

It still allows him to take the title with a Webber-Vettel 1-2 at Abu Dhabi.

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1000X

Post by F1000X »

OHHHHH SNAP!!!! SAFETY CAR!
Henrique

Post by Henrique »

Oh boy.
Snapper

Post by Snapper »

So same scenario next weekend will we see Vettel lift for Webber on final laps to give Webber the title since Seb wouldn't cover the 15 pts to over take Alonso? It's not like Alonso would be able to whine about it....
Libertango

Post by Libertango »

Congrats Red Bull! It was theirs to take this year :D !!!
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

If Webber leads a Red Bull 1-2 in Abu Dhabi, he wins the title. The massive question now is whether this will happe, whether he will get any help.
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Ah well, there's always next week... At least the safety car added a little bit of late interest.

Four drivers in contention at the final race is pretty impressive, though.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Williams in the top half of the standings where they belong. Oh, and there's 4 drivers who can clinch the title next week as well.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Blackmore

Post by Blackmore »

Very dull that i thought. Only the second wholly dull race of the season though.
F1000X

Post by F1000X »

I don't know about anybody else, but I can't wait for next weekend to get here.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Right, first off congratulations to Red Bull. Ever since they joined Formula 1, I thought they'd be a short-lived joke. I won't change my mind about a team created specifically to sell fizzy drinks just yet, but they deserve this one. Well done.

Second, Hulkenberg. No, I didn't really expect any better in the dry. He stayed out of trouble (more than what can be said from half the field) and kept in front of Kubica's Renault. Cheers to him as well.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Congrats Nico. You clinched pole, had everyone on your side, fell back thanks to Red Bull, and after the pit stop nearly dissappeared of the face of the earth.

At least you proved Vettel wrong in qualifying! :D

This is the first pole position for a Cosworth-powered engine since the 1999 French GP, when Rubens Barrichello, out of all people, clinched pole with a Stewart. Oddly enough, Stewart turned into Jaguar, who turned into Red Bull, who won the Constructor's Championship today.

On a very side note, does Buick or Chevrolet in F1 sound like a good idea?
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
patrick

Post by patrick »

JeremyMcClean wrote:On a very side note, does Buick or Chevrolet in F1 sound like a good idea?

sure, it'll bring in a lot of american fans as well. Can't really be bad unless they just flap around for years (cough, toyota)

Shame the race was a bit of an anti-climax. I think Hulk did great though, they weren't really expecting more when they arrived this week to be fair.
Valrys

Post by Valrys »

Semi-decent race, but I've been looking at the stats, and I believe this result puts Red Bull in a bit of a quandry.

If at the finish next weekend, they're once again 1st - Vettel, 2nd - Webber, 3rd - Alonso, Alonso will take the title due to number of 3rd places, being tied with Vettel on points, wins and 2nds.

Now, this would mean that Red Bull would either have to, a) Throw away the drivers title, b) Make Webber run Alonso off the road, c) swap Webber in front of Vettel. Can't wait for it.
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

Valrys wrote:Semi-decent race, but I've been looking at the stats, and I believe this result puts Red Bull in a bit of a quandry.

If at the finish next weekend, they're once again 1st - Vettel, 2nd - Webber, 3rd - Alonso, Alonso will take the title due to number of 3rd places, being tied with Vettel on points, wins and 2nds.

In that scenario, Alonso is still ahead on points, no need to apply countback.

To be even on points Alonso would have to be 5th, and Vettel would win by having finished more times in fourth place.

With Alonso 4th, both Vettel and Alonso have an identical result sheet of 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th places, but Alonso has two more points because he has two 8th places, while Vettel has just a 7th.

Valrys

Post by Valrys »

Ferrim wrote:
Valrys wrote:Semi-decent race, but I've been looking at the stats, and I believe this result puts Red Bull in a bit of a quandry.

In that scenario, Alonso is still ahead on points, no need to apply countback.

To be even on points Alonso would have to be 5th, and Vettel would win by having finished more times in fourth place.

With Alonso 4th, both Vettel and Alonso have an identical result sheet of 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th places, but Alonso has two more points because he has two 8th places, while Vettel has just a 7th.

haha, oops, of course, massive brain fade on my part
ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Post by ADx_Wales »

Nico Hulkenberg cocked that race up altogether then, we were impressed with him in qually, but the race on sunday goes to show how stupid the rules are for the top 10 qualifiers, Nico clearly burned up his starting set, because that's the ones he burnt in qualifying, made himself look like ME in the F1 2010 game in my first season, and Brundle saying he's the "cork in the champagne bottle" well once the cork was taken off the champagne was past its "best before" date. Vettel got by first, then Webber, and then Alonso, why he felt like holding up the other title contender I've no idea.

Not that he's ROTR, but he's bloody close.
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989