Your Reject of the Race - Singapore!

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Your Reject of the Race - Singapore!

Post by Nessafox »

lots of candidates. But senna has run out of excuses to escape rotr's, so he'll get one from me.
maybe it has someting to do with him having the worst chassis of the 2 HRT's (as it's realistic to say they're not capable of fielding 2 equal cars) but probably he's just too slow. Being outperformed by someone who hasn't raced for a few years is just not good. Not dominating yamamoto isn't good either.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

Kovalainen would have got the lap even if he had gone to the pits. He admitted that he felt safer to stop car on fire on the circuit rather than in the pits.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Bleu wrote:Kovalainen would have got the lap even if he had gone to the pits. He admitted that he felt safer to stop car on fire on the circuit rather than in the pits.

Speaking about fire, is it me or some cars were spitting fire through their exhausts tonight?
muttley

Post by muttley »

Phoenix wrote:Speaking about fire, is it me or some cars were spitting fire through their exhausts tonight?

I saw them too. I guess that's the effect of the floodlights that somehow makes the flames visible.
patrick

Post by patrick »

muttley wrote:
Phoenix wrote:Speaking about fire, is it me or some cars were spitting fire through their exhausts tonight?

I saw them too. I guess that's the effect of the floodlights that somehow makes the flames visible.

Yeah, that's why we saw a lot more sparks too
mario

Post by mario »

Phoenix wrote:
Bleu wrote:Kovalainen would have got the lap even if he had gone to the pits. He admitted that he felt safer to stop car on fire on the circuit rather than in the pits.

Speaking about fire, is it me or some cars were spitting fire through their exhausts tonight?

Pretty much all of them were at some point, due to the timing of the fuel injection and valves. Although most automotive petrol engines run slightly rich, due to temperature and unstable combustion conditions when running lean, F1 engines do tend to run reasonably rich for the additional cooling benefits (as the fuel vaporises in the cylinder, it cools the air-fuel mixture, and keeps the combustion temperatures under control).

In addition, with a number of teams running a blown diffuser, a number of teams are deliberately changing the engine mapping so the exhaust gas flow is reasonably constant, which means that the exhaust valve is being opened very early to regulate the amount of gas flowing through the exhaust. As a consequence, the exhaust gas mixture still contains a fair amount of unburned fuel, which auto ignites the moment it hits the exhaust.

It just happens to be the case that, in the darker sections of the track, you can see the blue flames of the excess fuel in the exhaust being burned off - although they would be present during most races (except, perhaps, where they have really leaned out the fuel mix to cruise home to the finish), normally, given how bright it at midday when the races take place, you wouldn't be able to see the flames.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

1) Hamilton - I think it's now painfully obvious that unless he's at the front pretty early on, when he's usually magnificent, he just cannot cope with pressure at all (at the end of 2007 this was excusable but now?!)

2) Sutil - Seriously, I don't know why everyone's getting excited. He lucked in a bit with safety cars/strategy etc and then took how long to pass Glock? He also got lucky when he was involved with the Liuzzi/Heidfeld goings on at the beginning.

I was going to put Lotus in here but if Heikki genuinely thought it better to stop out on the track then fair enough. At least he put it out. Just like the good old days when drivers would always have to do that. Although nothing beats the time when the Paul Ricard marshals response to a car that had been a blazing inferno for some time was to send the fire truck the wrong way down the pitlane....
QuickYoda41

Post by QuickYoda41 »

Yeah, Sutil was lucky today, but having a poor car and a little bit of luck doesn't make anybody ROTR I think.

Hamilton, Kobayashi (it is painful, but still :( ) were very near, but I don't think, anyone was worse, than Bruno today. Outpaced by a new teammate, ignoring blue flags a several times (as di Grassi partially caused the Webber-Hamilton situation, Senna had a similar part in the Koba-Schu incident e.g.), then ignoring double yellows, too. Change your name, Bruno!
Valrys

Post by Valrys »

JeremyMcClean wrote: Tilke for designing a horrid track and thus creating a dull race!

Actually, Tilke didn't do the final design of the track, another copany altered his original design.

As for ROTR, it pains me, but Senna - overdrove like crazy, then had a silly accident, all while getting beaten by Klien. Schumacher is a close second, but at least he was trying to race.
Rocks with Salt

Post by Rocks with Salt »

As much as I'd like to say Heidfeld for his erratic driving from the start, I can forgive him since it's his first race in quite a long time. Senna, however, has been racing since the start of the season. Come on, man, either you know how to drive or you don't. You obviously don't. Leave. Quite honestly, you were never that good to begin with...
...in bed.

1998 Monaco GP wrote:Murray Walker: A lot of people here are really debating if Riccardo Rosset is Formula 1 material.
Martin Brundle: Well, that's a fairly short debate, Murray.
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

So many candidates today, but at least it made for a spicy and interesting second half to the race. I think I'll have to plump for Senna, though, for being a bad back-marker as much as any of his other antics.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Bear with me but I have a ton of Nominations to mention:

Sebastien Vettel's stratagist: Seriously... why did they bring him in at the same time as Alonso when both they and Ferrari knew McLaren had lost the race about 10 laps ago?
Force India: Liuzzi out early, Sutil gets a penalty and just slow all round
Xtrac: Another race, yet more failures for Trulli, Glock and Klien
Michael Schumacher: This was a poor showing even by 2010 standards. Spent forever trying to get past Kovaleinen and Buemi near the end.
McLaren's stratagists: How could they have not seen that coming? They should have pitted 5-10 laps earlier than they did.
Vitaly Petrov: Ok so we've forgiven him for the Qualifying crash but let's face it. Kubica had a puncture and he was 13th behind Petrov when he rejoined and Kubica still finished 40 seconds up the road in the end.
The FIA: Ok so the Hulkenberg/Sutil penalties are probably justified but again the way they've been applied is total BS because I swear Petrov and possibly Alguersuari should be ahead of the pair of them...
Sauber: Both drivers spent more time bouncing off walls and cars than pointing in the right direction

But my ROTR has to be:
Bruno Senna: Christian Klien isn't the best driver in the world yet he still managed to comprehensively thrash Senna.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Myrvold

Post by Myrvold »

In all fairness to Senna, if he had been in a Ferrari, he would possibly made that situation with Kobayashi. Alfter all Massa almost collected Senna.And I belive (partially as a Senna-fan i guess. And partially as a F1 nerd) that if Massa had been in a HRT, with that aero and brakes, he would've been in it to. Therefor...

Schumacher you do get my nomination!
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

1st MICHAEL SCHUMACHER
Smashed into anything and everything he could see. The pace wasn't there, and then he whined about Kobayashi being too careless when passing him. Could he BE more of a hypocrite?! #GoHomeMichaelSchumacher

2nd BRUNO SENNA
2nd worst driver at HRT. And even then, he can barely keep ahead of Yamamoto at times. Completely thrashed by Klien, followed by driving into a parked car. FAIL. #GoHomeColinKolles

3rd SAUBER
Kobayashi's spin into the Turn 18 wall ruined the team's only chance of points this weekend - and Heidfeld was just plain crap. Mediocre pace, ramming Liuzzi, getting into a shoving match with Schumi...he was quite frankly all over the place. Plus the car is still shite. Roll on 2011...
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Nico Hulkenberg for another scrappy effort that ruined someone else's - Petrov's - race.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
Rocks with Salt

Captain Hammer wrote:Nico Hulkenberg for another scrappy effort that ruined someone else's - Petrov's - race.

Speaking about the predictions for the race, how many times did Hulkenburg cut the chicane over the weekend? I counted once during qualifying and twice during the race itself...
...in bed.

1998 Monaco GP wrote:Murray Walker: A lot of people here are really debating if Riccardo Rosset is Formula 1 material.
razta

Post by razta »

Gotta be Nick SULKENBURG
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Another nomination: Turn 18.

Completly pointless corner. First of all, it's a chicane. Secondly, it's a blind corner. Thirdly, a drivers have come unstuck there. And worst of all, it was only ever a novelty. It was put there to send the cars under the grandstand. There's talk that the Singapore circuit will be modified for 2011 and I do believe the grandstand is, at least a semi-permanent fixture. Hopefully, the new layout (if it does indeed exist and if it gets approved) will remove turns 18, 19, 20 and 21 altogether and have the cars go flat out along the waterfront. Hell, you could modify 16 and 17 as well to make them faster.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
JJMonty
Location: Jersey! (The old one, not that American mk2 version!)

Post by JJMonty »

I have a few nominations....

Hamilton and Webber?.... well that was a racing incident from what I could see.... however you have to feel Hamilton could have done more to avoid the accident so Hamilton is a possible candidate.

Another nomination would have to be Senna, considering Klien as had very few hours testing this year and hasn't raced since 2006..... it was rather embarrasing to watch him turn up and thrash Senna.... however I would prefer to see Klien in instead of Yamamoto.

I would nominate Yamamoto as we all know he wasn't ill... he just wanted a shot on the new F1 2010 game ;) Practice for his home race on easy so he might finish in the top 15.... thats the best chance he has :P

Back to being serious now.....

My 2 main rejections........ BBC's main commentator.. Jonathan Legard... probably the most annoying and bias idiot I have ever heard! (he is making James Allen's A*se licking of Hamilton seem modest!) For example... once Hamilton was out..... "he has been taken out by Webber".... and says this for the rest of the race..... and his unimaginative frazes...... "OH THERE'S A PROBLEM FOR......." it is his most common sentence I think! He said it during the Vettel/Button crash...... The Webber crash in Valencia.... and again here! "OH!! there's a problem for the Sauber".... yeah.... HE'S IN THE WALL!!! "Ohhh and a problem for Senna now!"...... yes.... he has just gone into the crashed Sauber!!! Sorry for the rant but this guy really gets on my tit and so I would like to nominate him :x

And Finally.... the Stewards.......... 2 post race penelties for something that happened on lap 1? Why didnt they spot this before and give them drive-throughs DURING the race??? Ok fine Sutil and Hulkenberg shouldn't have gone over the white line... but it is lap 1... and it's tight down on T5 so maybe they had no choice? Eitherway was a complete joke that it took them so long to come to a conclusion!
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Well yeah, not many of us actually can stand Legard.
Had to watch the qualifying with BBC commentary and frankly, I can't stand him, why can't Brundle be the lead commentator? He actually knows the sport better, plus he was a driver. But I'd nominate the Hungarian commentary if I could. There is a guy who's kinda acceptable, but still below even Legard, and now there's a new bloke, who isn't even entertaining as his voice is BORING. Not even funny.

Some people mentioned Xtrac. Dispose this ASAP, because it's making the new teams look like rejects, when clearly Lotus and Virgin are capable of improvement, unlike HRT.

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Page 4, and we have an instance of Hughes' Law! Mind you, it was Brundle who made me chuckle for being mathematically challenged - twice. :geek:
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Pedestrian

Post by Pedestrian »

JJMonty wrote:
Hamilton and Webber?.... well that was a racing incident from what I could see.... however you have to feel Hamilton could have done more to avoid the accident so Hamilton is a possible candidate.

Oh come on people! Maybe one of those nominating Hamilton can explain what exactly he should have done to avoid the incident?
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Pedestrian wrote:
JJMonty wrote:

Oh come on people! Maybe one of those nominating Hamilton can explain what exactly he should have done to avoid the incident?

What Jenson did - and then he'd be nominated for not attacking Webber.

McLaren is a strong contender. Second strategic blunder in 2 races.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Pedestrian

Post by Pedestrian »

Not attacking Webber would make no sense. That was probably Hamilton's last chance to make move up a place. He saw an opening, attempted an overtake, succeded and then Webber rammed into him trying to take his place back. Poor Hamilton didin't even have a chance to yeld.
JJMonty

Post by JJMonty »

Pedestrian wrote:
JJMonty wrote:

Left enough space for two people to get by? Webber would have been beside him into the corner and slightly ahead going out the corner, however Hamilton would of had the inside line for the next corner so could of finished the move there!

Failing that.... it wasn't like it was the final lap.

I just felt that it was moves like this (and the one in Monza) that cost Hamilton the title in 2007 (and nearly in 2008) and that after his "learning season" in 2009, he would have matured..... his raw pace is better than Buttons...... but Button hasnt had a DNF this season yet through any fault of his own. How many has Lewis had now? 2 in a row.... eitherway I said possible reject...... he could have done more to avoid the accident, but there were some even more stupid things going on
Pedestrian

Post by Pedestrian »

JJMonty wrote:
Pedestrian wrote:
JJMonty wrote:

Left enough space for two people to get by? Webber would have been beside him into the corner and slightly ahead going out the corner, however Hamilton would of had the inside line for the next corner so could of finished the move there!

I just felt that it was moves like this (and the one in Monza) that cost Hamilton the title in 2007 (and nearly in 2008) and that after his "learning season" in 2009, he would have matured..... his raw pace is better than Buttons...... but Button hasnt had a DNF this season yet through any fault of his own. How many has Lewis had now? 2 in a row.... eitherway I said possible reject...... he could have done more to avoid the accident, but there were some even more stupid things going on

I really don't believe that there is enough space for two cars to go through that corner together. I think people didn't even lap backmakers there. And this is because there was no way for Hamilton to leave room for Webber without going wide and/or slowing down which would have been dangerous, even more dangerous in case the drivers behind behave sensibly. Hamilton basically had to guess that Webber would have tried something stupid and get out of his way.
And yes, Button does not have any DNF of his own fault, but this DNF wasn't Hamilton's fault either. He was rammed from behind by a reckless driver, just like Button at Spa.
mario

Post by mario »

JJMonty wrote:
Pedestrian wrote:
JJMonty wrote:

On the other hand, there is the risk that if you go too wide into Turn 7, then the defending driver might push you wide over the kerb on the outside of the corner, as happened during the opening lap to a few drivers. Moreover, passing into Turn 8 isn't easy because it is a 90 degrees right hander, and being on such a tight line would make it difficult to make it through the corner at racing speed.

It is a difficult thing to discuss - if Hamilton had managed to make it past Mark, although the difference in points would have been minimal, the extra points would have put him quite a bit further ahead of Button, as well as higher up in the standings. Given that the team were really pushing him to pass Webber, and that Webber was briefly caught off guard by Glock, Hamilton had to really go for it, because Mark would probably have pulled away from him after that point.

The problem is, Hamilton knows that he probably only has the 3rd best car at the moment - Ferrari have developed this car quite well, and Red Bull still have a fair amount of performance in hand. When the team are pushing him so hard, as are the media and his fans, it is kind of inevitable that he will overdrive, as have most of the championship contenders at some point (to be fair to Button, he has been the calmest behind the wheel of the top 5). We have seen Vettel make several unforced errors through the season, as have Alonso and Webber, and Hamilton is no different - Alonso has actually been complaining about the media being too hostile, because the drivers are, after all, human, and do make mistakes.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
JJMonty

Post by JJMonty »

Well.... as I said and as you said, its all if's and buts.... he could have done this, but that could have happened. We will never know..... I'm not saying Hamilton was in the wrong, just got over aggresive again... put fair play to him for taking the chance because thats what he needed to do!

It could of left him alot further ahead of Button, but as it happens, it hasnt happened..... and so we still have 5 drivers within 25 points of each other! Tasty :P

Roll on Suzuka!
tristan1117
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tristan1117 »

Quite a few nominations this time around:

Lotus: For letting Kovy pass the pits even when his engine was on fire, which leads to my second nominee...
The Singapore marshals: Once again, the marshals at Singapore fail to do a very good job, not moving away Liuzzi's car fast enough and not having a fire extinguisher ready at the scene of Kovalainen's fire. Unlike Monaco, where the marshals are top-notch and generally excellent, Singapore hasn't been as diligent as before.
The First half of the race: Until Kobayashi's crash into the wall after hitting Schumacher, the race was just flat-out boring. It was dull and overtakingless, with almost no excitement. After the Safety Car, things got better with Kubica's amazing run and the Webber-Hamilton crash.
Michael Schumacher: What a race for the old man, 3 collisions and once again getting trounced by Rosberg. Hopefully, Sutil or Maldonado will replace him soon.
Senna, Bruno Senna: For all mentioned reasons and being completely destroyed by Klien, a driver who hasn't driven an F1 car since what, 4 years? And he crashed into a stationary Kobayashi while three others successfully avoided him.

However, I think the winner is Sauber: Both Heidfeld and Kobayashi had stupid crashes and now it seems that De La Rosa may have not been so bad after all.
CoopsII wrote:On occasion I have ventured into the PMM forum but beat a hasty retreat soon after as it resembles some sort of bad acid trip in there
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

JJMonty wrote:Well.... as I said and as you said, its all if's and buts.... he could have done this, but that could have happened. We will never know..... I'm not saying Hamilton was in the wrong, just got over aggresive again... put fair play to him for taking the chance because thats what he needed to do!

It could of left him alot further ahead of Button, but as it happens, it hasnt happened..... and so we still have 5 drivers within 25 points of each other! Tasty :P

Roll on Suzuka!

Hell yeah! :D
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Ross Prawn

Post by Ross Prawn »

KOBAYASHI !! Come on admit it, he did hit as lot of stuff.

(Ok, maybe it should be Schumi, but we can't vote him in for every race.)
"Other than the car behind and the driver who might get a bit startled with the sudden explosion in front, it really isn't a major safety issue from that point of view,"
Rocks with Salt

Ross Prawn wrote:KOBAYASHI !! Come on admit it, he did hit as lot of stuff.

Well, at least you have the guts to come out and say that. Now prepare to be pelted.
...in bed.

coops

Post by coops »

Ross Prawn wrote:KOBAYASHI !! Come on admit it, he did hit as lot of stuff.

To be fair, it was well past his bed-time.
"Aerodynamics is for those who cannot manufacture good engines."
-Enzo Ferrari
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

This time around, it's hard to pick a winner for the award because there are several entities who tried getting it - some harder than others, but no one really stood out.

Yes, for Kamui Kobayashi, the banzai and bonsai moves came way too close to one another: on the same lap. And Schumacher's move did end Nick Heidfeld's comeback, so Sauber came home with nothing. That is lamentable but does not make them rejects.
Xtrac's campaign for the ROTY award got further oil into the fire at this race, so why hand them a small award at this time when they can get away with the big one?
Bruno Senna was outdriven by his returning teammate for almost the whole weekend. That guy Klien is a well-known quantity as a driver - and to not measure up that well against him and Chandhok might not do too well for Bruno. Yet, parking it into the side of a parked car that's standing at the side of the road really should hand the award to him.

Anyway, there is still a stronger contender that nobody has mentioned before. When Heikki Kovalainen's engine blew, he had just been spun around by another car. Then he spun back and got into trouble. That other car was driven by Sebastien Buemi, who effectively robbed Lotus of another P13, which is still the goal to achieve for the new teams. Therefore, my nominee for ROTR is Buemi.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
Pedestrian

Post by Pedestrian »

JJMonty wrote:I'm not saying Hamilton was in the wrong, just got over aggresive again... put fair play to him for taking the chance because thats what he needed to do!

Well my question wasn't directed only at you, but in generall at those who believe that hamilton was responsible for the accident.
What I wanted to discuss was wether we can say that Hamilton crashed into Webber attempting to pass, or Webber crashed into Hamilton while attempting to thake the place back. Because if Hamilton was ahead of Webber then Webber was the attackning driver and as such he had a greater responsability to avoid an accident.
the Masked Lapwing

Post by the Masked Lapwing »

Pedestrian wrote:Well my question wasn't directed only at you, but in generall at those who believe that hamilton was responsible for the accident.
What I wanted to discuss was wether we can say that Hamilton crashed into Webber attempting to pass, or Webber crashed into Hamilton while attempting to thake the place back. Because if Hamilton was ahead of Webber then Webber was the attackning driver and as such he had a greater responsability to avoid an accident.

Yes, when they hit, Hamilton was in front, but he gave very little room to Webber, who couldn't get his car pulled up in time. It wasn't Hamilton's fault, nor was it Webber's, it was just a racing incident. That's my stance, and I'm sticking to it.
R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Pedestrian wrote:
JJMonty wrote:I'm not saying Hamilton was in the wrong, just got over aggresive again... put fair play to him for taking the chance because thats what he needed to do!

Well my question wasn't directed only at you, but in generall at those who believe that hamilton was responsible for the accident.

There's this theory doing the rounds - and I know more than one person here agrees - that being successful makes you unpopular with large parts of the fans. Much as Fernando and Ferrari is F1's unholy alliance, making them the perfect pantomime villains, so Hamilton and McLaren (the man with no personality with the team that has no soul) and Vettel and Red Bull (the spoiled brat and the marketing department) tick those boxes - because they're good. Too good in fact.

So, we just support the underdogs. Go Mark & Jenson!
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

CarlosFerreira wrote:

Amen.

Mark for a very close second to Jenson! (Although I reckon they'll be 1st and 5th in the championship...)
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Thunderer

Post by Thunderer »

I'll take great pleasure in saying the name again, and most will agree...

Michael Schumacher :mrgreen:
I don't know what Deletraz is doing either...
Ben Gilbert

Post by Ben Gilbert »

dr-baker wrote:
CarlosFerreira wrote:

Amen.

Mark for a very close second to Jenson! (Although I reckon they'll be 1st and 5th in the championship...)

Speaking of underdogs, I'm tempted to nominate Nico Hulkenburg and Sebastien Buemi for their efforts.

Buemi's punting-off of Kovalainen has already been discussed, and it did end a very good run for the Lotus, but did anyone else catch what the not-so-incredible Hulk did to Glock in his attempts to get out of the chain?

It may just be me being harsh to aggressive overtaking, but there was no need for Hulkenburg to force Glock onto the kerbs on the exit of Turn Two. He was already completely alongside, and was certainly going to pull away from the Virgin given that Glock was already off-line, but it smacks of the same impetuous aggression that we've seen from Hulkenburg before. Not only did he immediately remove Glock's traction, but probably caused damage to his underside and prevent any chance of defending his position. And all this in a move for twelfth place, which admittedly would probably not last to the end of the race, but it's the principle: this was very early on in the race, and there wasn't a need for that sort of manoeuvre.

But, for me, it has to be Senna, for all the reasons posted already.
Cynon wrote:Look further down the field, enjoy the view of the little guys and/or crap drivers in cars too good for them giving their all for a meager result.

Because that's what I thought this forum celebrates the most.