The Formula One Career of Jeroen Krautmeir

Archive for the three above subforums
Jeroen Krautmeir

The Formula One Career of Jeroen Krautmeir

Post by Jeroen Krautmeir »

Inspired by Shinji's awesome work!

This is Alternate History
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I appeared for work the next day, or I'd like to think it was the next day. It was probably the day after, but rest assured, it wasn't the same day. Anyway, some time after a little traffic fiasco, several thousand pounds in fines for violating the safety-of-others provisions on the roads, and a good smack on the bum from the cops, I was at work. I appeared, all spruced up in a nice suit. Mind you, it was once of those Western business suits that people often see on those soaps, complete with that conservative black coat and trousers, a white shirt with a blue tie, a pair of black polished shoes, some neat curled black socks, and even some suspenders to hold up my trousers (or at least my shorts), and to top it off, a nice hair-cut. My mother always told me that a neat hair-cut made 50% of a first impression, and he'd always kept to it. My face was so cleanly shaven you could hardly find a whisker on him, and my sideburns were cut short.

I walked into the reception area, where an equally curt and polished receptionist was patiently filing her nails. There was a soft lull of zither music amidst the running water of an indoor fountain. I quietly closed the door and went up to the receptionist, who seemed to give little attention to me. I cleared his throat. But before I could say anything, something the weight of a grand piano seemed to have hit me. Very slowly, reality escaped me.

The next day, or so it seemed, I found myself lying down on a bed. It wasn't the best of beds, that was for sure. And the room which I was in did not seem very comfortable either. I got up, looked around, and opened the curtains to see where I was. At first glance, I knew I was in Australia. The question was, where in Australia? Before I could think any further, someone knocked on the door. I walked up, and opened it. "Yes?", I said as I opened the door. The man who greeted me was tall, had spiky hair, and a distinct Scottish accent. On his shirt bore the words "Lola Cars", and scattered all over the shirt were the logos of various sponsors, particularly, MasterCard.

"Err, who are you? And, what exactly do you want from me?" I kindly asked.
"What do you mean, who am I? I've been talking to you for the past few months! Now come on, get changed! There's half an hour left till' qualifying!"

He walked in, and slammed the door shut. I tried to make sense of what was happening, but I got changed, just like he wanted me to.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Am I good to continue? :)
Honourary Youngest Forum Member, Joint Mackem Of The Forum

"When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting".
tommykl

Re: The Formula One Career of Jeroen Krautmeir

Post by tommykl »

oh, yes you are
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Go for it! Strange that everyone seems to be having the memory failures, maybe something to do with the Ash Cloud. Or maybe the LHC. Or Sarah Palin.

My money's on Sarah for causing brain damage anyway. :?
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

Imitation is the greatest form of flattery ;)
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
Jeroen Krautmeir

I hurriedly moved towards the wooden wardrobe which was next to the window. Of course, I hadn't "brought" any clothes with me, except the ones that I was wearing. I opened the wardrobe, and found some cargo pants and a nice T-shirt. Both were my size. Taking them out, I then ran to the toilet, closed the door, and began to change. I still hadn't found out what was going on. The words 'Lola' to me meant a bunny, though I did remember some drastic failure in Formula 1 with the same name. Was I about to take part in that failure? The question was, even if I was aware of what was going on, why did they sign me? I don't have any big sponsorships or things like that, and while I have raced some go-karts 'in the future', I still didn't know how to operate an F1 car, let alone a F3000 or Formula Ford car. I quickly changed, went back into the living room, and put my dirty clothes in the laundry basket. The Lola man glanced at me. "Well lets go!"

Recalling my history, I now knew that the only places in Australia where I could be in was Melbourne or Adelaide. Since I was apparently in 1997, it had to be Melbourne, and so I knew I was off to Albert Park. I decided not to ask any questions, and the 15-minute ride to the track was a silent one. As we got closer however, I could see the hoards of people, lining up to get inside. The driver took a turn that at first glance, went nowhere, though it was just a back-road towards the paddock. He then stopped, and my Lola partner and I hopped off, and walked towards the Lola camp. It was, quite an experience. I looked at the Arrows camp, and saw the mechanics working only on the Number 1 car of Damon Hill, while the Number 2 car of Pedro Diniz seemed almost worthless. In the Williams garage, I could see a certain Jacques Villeneuve sitting in his car, calmly waiting for the session to start. It was a long walk, as the Lola garage was right at the end. We did make it, and I finally saw the cars. The Number 24 car was for a certain Vincenzo Sospiri, while the Number 25 car was mine. In 'reality', the Lola T97/30 was powered by a Ford-Zetec V8, but this car was powered by an MCD V10. My Lola man then gives me my overalls, and tells me to get changed.

I changed as quickly as possible, and when I got out of the changing room, the session had already begun. I hurriedly got into the car, while my Lola man passed me my helmet. It was actually a nice helmet, at least in my opinion. Everyone else seemed to hate it. With more than 50 minutes still left in the session, I couldn't wait to get out on track, and with permission from my Lola man (who also turned out to be my engineer), whose name I found out as 'Burt', I rolled off to start the session. And things would have been disastrous at the beginning had the pit-crew not warned me of an incoming Prost of Olivier Panis. This was going to be exciting.

"When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting".
Jeroen Krautmeir

Recalling my Formula 1 history, the Lola T97/30 didn't see a wind-tunnel. But this T97 had been extensively tested during the pre-season, and was designed by the renowned John Barnard. Al Melling had done a fantastic job with his MCD engine, and I predicted it to have the power of the Peugeot A14 which powered the Jordan cars driven by Ralf Schumacher and Eddie Irvine. By the time I begun my first lap, Gerhard Berger in the Ferrari was, at least for a few minutes, in pole, with a time in the 1:32 bracket. I worked my way through Jones and Brabham and made no mistakes at White Ford. Unfortunately, I got 2 of my wheels on the grass at turn 4, and nearly rammed into the barriers at turn 5. Still, the car was intact, and I eventually clocked a time of 1:35.698, good enough for 15th. Vincenzo only just made it, with a time of 1:35.899, which put him in 20th. At the end of qualifying, this would be the grid for the 1997 Australian Grand Prix in Melbourne.

1. Jacques Villeneuve Williams-Renault 1:32.001
2. Gerhard Berger Ferrari 1:33.022
3. Michael Schumacher Ferrari 1:33.024
4. Olivier Panis Prost-Mugen 1:33.116
5. David Coulthard McLaren-Mercedes 1:33.122
6. Damon Hill Arrows-Yamaha 1:33.988
7. Mika Hakkinen McLaren-Mercedes 1:34.242
8. Eddie Irvine Jordan-Peugeot 1:34.318
9. Heinz-Harald Frentzen Williams-Renault 1:34.544
10. Jean Alesi Benetton-Renault 1:34.546
11. Alexander Wurz Benetton-Renault 1:34.601
12. Johnny Herbert Sauber-Petronas 1:35.309
13. Shinji Nakano Prost-Mugen 1:35.388
14. Rubens Barrichello Stewart-Ford 1:35.390
15. Jeroen Krautmeir Lola-MCD 1:35.698
16. Jos Verstappen Tyrrell-Ilmor 1:35.721
17. Jan Magnussen Stewart-Ford 1:35.743
18. Andrea Montermini Sauber-Petronas 1:35.797
19. Mika Salo Tyrrell-Ilmor 1:35.800
20. Vincenzo Sospiri Lola-MCD 1:35.899
21. Jarno Trulli Minardi-Ford 1:36.431
22. Luca Badoer Minardi-Ford 1:36.813
DNQ. Ralf Schumacher Jordan-Peugeot NO TIME
DNQ. Pedro Diniz Arrows-Yamaha NO TIME

Jeroen Krautmeir

I sat impatiently in my Lola. Two minutes to the start of the Australian GP, and I knew it was not going to be an easy one. It had been raining since morning, and the track was absolutely soaked. Rain poured on my helmet, as I began to sweat, despite the cold temperature. I had never started a race in a monster like an F1 car, and this would be my first "test". 2 minutes passed, and the cars began to roll out for their warm-up lap, led by Jacques Villeneuve. I enjoyed rain as a normal person, but here, the rain was just slamming into my visor, and I had nearly no visibility. I was no "noob" though, and I held on. The cars reached the end of Prost, and I slowed down a bit, allowing Barrichello in front of me to get a bit of room. Villeneuve then moved into position. I did so too, and so did the other cars. I breathed in once, and breathed out. I rubbed my visor, though the water just came onto it again. Then came the voice of my engineer, Burt. "Ok Jeroen, last two cars are in position, be ready." I gripped the steering wheel, my finger, at the accelerator. Then, the five lights began to light up. One by one, with me, revving my engine. 22 engines, all revving at the same time, took the attention of everyone off the rain and on us. The lights took what seemed like an eternity, but eventually, they went off.

I had a great start, and passed both Barrichello and Shinji Nakano, and when we reached Jones, I was in 13th. Johnny Herbert in front of me, was in a much more fancied Sauber and was trying his best to wave me off. But I persisted with my efforts. Herbert braked late at Clark on lap 4 and took the chance and passed him for 12th. On lap 5, the fight became more intense, with me monstering the Lola to its limits. Burt radioed in, "Frentzen is out." Of course, I had more things to worry about other than some Williams car going off the circuit, but Frentzen's error promoted me to 11th. The pursuit continued, in torrential rain. In front of me was Alexander Wurz, and I found an opening, and attempted to squeeze through, but Wurz closed the door and forced me on the brakes. I was getting infuriated. Going into lap 11, Wurz misjudged his timing and went sliding into oblivion at the first turn. The first of many accidents to come. On lap 18, the first pit stops commenced. I decided for a final push before coming in. Little did I know, Jean Alesi in front of me had the same thing in mind. We came into the pits, with the man with the slower stop certainly the loser. It was a "winner take it all" scenario, and Alesi lost out. 1 second may not seem alot, but in racing, everything counts. My 7.4 second stop to Alesi's 8.3 was not going to help the Frenchman's situation. In front of me was David Coulthard in the McLaren, and I was closing the gap very fast. However, I knew that if he kept this up, I risked my Lola going "kaput".

Halfway through, Villeneuve had a massive shunt at turn 11. Michael Schumacher had been keeping the pressure on the Canadian, but the Williams slammed into the wall, eventually turning into the scarlet car, putting them both out of the race, and bringing out the safety car. This left Olivier Panis in the lead, with Gerhard Berger behind him. Then came Damon Hill, Mika Hakkinen, Coulthard, and myself. I was thrilled! In the points, driving a Lola! Burt radioed in, "Alright Jeroen, we are close to the second stop anyway, so, try to pass David, and push as hard as possible." Now this stirred me up a bit. The fact that I had to pass a McLaren in a Lola was not particularly reassuring. However, as the safety car rolled in, Coulthard failed to accelerate quickly enough, and I pounced, and took 5th.

However, on the next lap, I had to come in for fuel. Berger, Panis, Coulthard, Eddie Irvine, Hill, Montermini and Trulli all came in on the same lap. This left Hakkinen in the lead, but it didn't last, as on the very next lap, Hakkinen spun out of control into retirement. Further behind, Nakano's daring move on Herbert led to both retiring from the race. Burt radioed in for what was the thirteenth time for the whole race, "Stay focused, don't get angry". I wasn't, but my head was getting bopped around as I was taking the curves very hard, and it was clear that I was not going to let Hill, who was now in front of me, build the gap. The distance between we two after the incident was 1.724 seconds, and I knew that Coulthard had slowed his pace. With this in mind, I drove aggressively, with the aim of making Hill screw up.

Around four laps later, the Burt radioed in to tell me that Vincenzo had retired with a gearbox problem. Luca Badoer could not see the stationary Lola, and drove right into it, writing off both his, and Sospiri's chassis'. With the safety car out for a second time, and with only 8 laps left, it was my job to just bring the Lola home. As the field regrouped, the order was; Panis, Berger, Hill, me, Coulthard, Irvine, Alesi, Frentzen, Barrichello, Verstappen, Salo, Magnussen, Montermini and Trulli. After 7 laps under the safety car, there was only 1 more lap to try and pass Hill and get a podium finish. Hill knew I was behind, but could not see me, and I passed him for 3rd. But soon after, my brakes failed, and I went careering onto the grass, but back on track. I nearly hit the Ferrari of Berger, but luckily there was no contact. There was still some braking power, but I now found myself forced to accelerate slowly, and maintain a low top speed. Hill came up, but I moved to block him. He then changed sides to pass, and succeeded in passing me. It was truly heart-breaking, as we were on the start-finish straight. Nevertheless, it was an awesome debut. Next stop, BRAZIL!!!

Classified Finishers
1. Olivier Panis Prost-Mugen 1:42:28.718
2. Gerhard Berger Ferrari +0.021
3. Damon Hill Arrows-Yamaha +0.297
4. Jeroen Krautmeir Lola-MCD +0.312
5. David Coulthard McLaren-Mercedes +1.586
6. Jean Alesi Benetton-Renault +1.600
7. Eddie Irvine Jordan-Peugeot +1.632
8. Heinz-Harald Frentzen Williams-Renault +1.889
9. Rubens Barrichello Stewart-Ford +2.111
10. Jos Verstappen Tyrrell-Ilmor +2.347
11. Mika Salo Tyrrell-Ilmor +2.388
12. Jan Magnussen Stewart-Ford +2.550
13. Andrea Montermini Sauber-Petronas +3.192
14. Jarno Trulli Minardi-Ford +3.666

Drivers Championship
Olivier Panis- 10
Gerhard Berger- 6
Damon Hill- 4
Jeroen Krautmeir- 3
David Coulthard- 2
Jean Alesi- 1

Constructors Championship
Prost Mugen- 10
Ferrari- 6
Arrows Yamaha- 4
Lola MCD- 3
McLaren Mercedes- 2
Benetton-Renault- 1

Some feedback would be appreciated! :)

Jeroen Krautmeir

Post-Melbourne

Post-Melbourne, the whole team was confident that things would be just as good, or maybe better, in Interlagos. However, at the eleventh hour, we were pretty much back-stabbed by our major sponsor, MasterCard. Despite my 4th place, it was supposedly not good enough for them to stay onboard. And so, our cars were shipped to Brazil with the stickers of just Bridgestone, Repsol and PIAA. The survival of the team hung in the balance. We needed a good result in Brazil, and it was down to me and Vincenzo to achieve that.

Meanwhile, Eric Broadley was trying his best to get some new sponsors onboard. He had already convinced Repsol to increase their involvement by 15%, and PIAA by 5%. On the night before we were to leave for Brazil, Lola were already in talks with Zepter, Ixion, Doimo, Tissot and Loctite. Something which perhaps scared Vincenzo and I was the possibility that one of us would be sacked to make way for a pay-driver. Pedro Lamy, Ricardo Rosset and even Pedro Diniz were reportedly in talks with Broadley. Diniz had a contract with Arrows, and was effectively paying Damon Hill's salary, and therefore, it would be at least a year before he could bring his valuable Parmalat sponsorship. We all got on the plane, tried to relax, and we let the pilots do the rest.

"MasterCardless" Lola T97/30

AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Jeroen Krautmeir wrote:Image

Hey! who nicked Sammy Jones' 1999 Arrows? ;)
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Jeroen Krautmeir

AndreaModa wrote:

What do you mean? Its perfectly 100% LOLA! :lol:

Yeah, I just removed the Zepter and other sponsors...

Waris

Post by Waris »

Jeroen Krautmeir wrote:
AndreaModa wrote:

What do you mean? Its perfectly 100% LOLA! :lol:

Yeah, I just removed the Zepter and other sponsors...

It still says "ARROWS" on the rear wing end plate though. *whistles* ;)
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
Jeroen Krautmeir

Waris wrote:It still says "ARROWS" on the rear wing end plate though. *whistles* ;)

:lol: . It's not what you think, it's Arrows Computer Manufacturing! :D

Bah. I concede!

CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Waris wrote:It still says "ARROWS" on the rear wing end plate though. *whistles* ;)

A couple of months ago, Zoran Stefanovic would pose besides a Toyota, painted as a Toyota, and everyone would go "look, that's the new StefanGP car! Let them race!" :roll:
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Waris

Post by Waris »

CarlosFerreira wrote:

A couple of months ago, Zoran Stefanovic would pose besides a Toyota, painted as a Toyota, and everyone would go "look, that's the new StefanGP car! Let them race!" :roll:

Touché...
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

This is a great read. I can't wait for the next part. :) :)
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Jeroen Krautmeir

Sao Paulo

Brazil, Brazil... Samba, Football, Senna, Interlagos.. The Lola team arrived in Sao Paulo on Tuesday evening. Wednesday was spent sight-seeing, and you could have called that fine Wednesday fun perhaps. Eric gave permission to Vincenzo, Burt and myself to go wherever we liked, as long as we were back at the hotel by 6. It was like having my mum bossing me about where I go on weekends. This actually made me think of my parents, and my whole family at that. Was I still in the "real dimension" in another form? Or is my "real self" the one I'm in now? Anyway, Vincenzo wanted to go to Paulista Avenue, one of the most important thoroughfares of the city and the site of many cultural centers and museums, such as the MASP and Centro Cultural Itaú. While walking along the streets, I noticed a suspicious figure tailing the three of us. I glanced at my watch. It was just about 1 PM. Lunch time to be precise. On our left, a fancy restaurant just happened to be open, and we walked in. As expected, the nasty figure followed us.

Whatever he did, was done very amateurishly. Running towards the three of us, he pushed Vincenzo out of the way, tripped Burt, and attempted to steal my wallet. His grip was terrible however. He attempted to run out of the restaurant, but tripped over the carpet placed on the floor, and dropped my wallet. I don't think he would have been satisfied anyway. I only had enough Real for the meal, which wasn't really that much! Instead of reporting the case, we left the stunned thief on the floor, allowing the other customers to stare blankly. The three of us instead took a taxi back to the hotel. There, hopefully, we would be able to eat in peace.

Interlagos, Quali

The qualifying session was held in dry conditions, and that didn't particularly fit me well. During the session, I went of the track at turn 5, damaging the front wing, and doing minor damage to the suspension. Fortunately, the crew managed to fix the damage in time for me to get one last lap in. Unfortunately, since the last lap was a rush job, I only just made it, and I would start right at the back. Damon Hill in his Arrows had been at the top of the leaderboard for most of the session, but Olivier Panis in the Prost stole the show in the dying moments, with a 1:15.989. The grid would line up like this, for the 1997 Brazilian Grand Prix.

1. Olivier Panis Prost-Mugen 1:15.989
2. Damon Hill Arrows-Yamaha 1:16.007
3. Alexander Wurz Benetton-Renault 1:16.126
4. Michael Schumacher Ferrari 1:16.341
5. Gerhard Berger Ferrari 1:16.400
6. Mika Hakkinen McLaren-Mercedes 1:16.454
7. Jacques Villeneuve Williams-Renault 1:16.511
8. Jean Alesi Benetton-Renault 1:16.629
9. David Coulthard McLaren-Mercedes 1:17.012
10. Johnny Herbert Sauber-Petronas 1:17.217
11. Eddie Irvine Jordan-Peugeot 1:17.348
12. Heinz-Harald Frentzen Williams-Renault 1:17.425
13. Ralf Schumacher Jordan-Peugeot 1:17.626
14. Rubens Barrichello Stewart-Ford 1:18.388
15. Shinji Nakano Prost-Mugen 1:18.793
16. Andrea Montermini Sauber-Petronas 1:19.001
17. Mika Salo Tyrrell-Ilmor 1:19.083
18. Jan Magnussen Stewart-Ford 1:19.422
19. Jos Verstappen Tyrrell-Illmor 1:19.636
20. Luca Badoer Minardi-Ford 1:20.231
21. Vincenzo Sospiri Lola-MCD 1:20.429
22. Pedro Diniz Arrows-Yamaha 1:21.077
23. Jarno Trulli Minardi-Ford 1:21.673
24. Jeroen Krautmeir Lola-MCD 1:21.689

tommykl

Post by tommykl »

1. Olivier Panis Prost-Mugen 1:15.989
2. Damon Hill Arrows-Yamaha 1:16.007
3. Alexander Wurz Benetton-Renault 1:16.126

I approve of this :mrgreen:
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
andreamodawf1

Post by andreamodawf1 »

So when will the next part arrive. Congrats for escaping rejecton in your first race!
SDHammer

Post by SDHammer »

Why is Montermini driving the Sauber and not Nicola Larini???
Jeroen Krautmeir

Sorry guys, real life has been tough, and I have to limit my activity to predictions for races. Sorry. I will try to get back ASAP.

SDHammer wrote:Why is Montermini driving the Sauber and not Nicola Larini???

Because its alternate history. ;)

andreamodawf1

Post by andreamodawf1 »

So what's Nicola Larini doing instead of driving for Sauber?
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Test driver for Lola perhaps? Role reversal, probably wouldn't be a bad swap in real life to be honest!

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Jeroen Krautmeir

Jeepers, I've abandoned so many RPs! Looks like I'll continue this one. (Nothing related to the Precision one, this one is in another world)

Firstly, my apologies for it being so long. :oops:

I was getting used to the life of a Formula One driver, but at times, I sorely missed my family and friends. Eventually, I promised to myself that when the opportunity presented itself, I would return to the 'real world'. As I positioned myself in the cockpit of my Lola, I knew it would be an uphill challenge to not stay at the back. My aim was to finish ahead of Vincenzo, but to do that, I had to make it past Jarno and Pedro in the Minardi and Arrows respectively. It wasn't impossible, but my biggest hope was that I would have a good start and they would mess up theirs. Strangely enough, the U2 song 'Zoo Station' began ringing in my head. It was my favourite song, but the sudden sound of it made my experience all the more awkward. Burt walked over to me and asked me how I was feeling. Embarrassingly, I was still grooving to U2, and when Burt finally got me out of my 'trance', he gave me an awkward look, and a few lines of 'encouragement'. "I don't know what the hell you were doing, but I hope you don't do it again because it makes you look like a fu**ing lunatic". I knew I was blushing, and was grateful that my helmet was on. Burt gave me the race plan, and soon after he left me, the tyre covers came off. In a jiffy, we were off on the formation lap. Brazil was far more challenging than I thought. I aced it on computer games, but being in a real F1 car, with no driver aids, was something else. As I approached my grid position, I could see a puff of smoke come out of Pedro's car. It was oil, but not too much for him to retire, at least, that was the guess. The problem for me was that he was directly ahead of me, and so I would have to drive over the slippery stuff. The last thing I wanted was to slam into the wall before the end of lap 1, so I decided that I would start slowly and turn away from it. Soon after I stopped on the grid, the 1997 Brazilian Grand Prix was go.

I turned a hard right to avoid running over the oil, but at the same time, I spun the wheels a bit too much, and nearly ended up slamming myself out of the race. I felt like a complete idiot, and with my car now facing the other side, I spun into the correct direction, and continued the race. At that moment, I was muttering swear words at myself, and was only thinking of how I had embarrassed myself. Back in front, Damon had made the jump on Olivier, and was now in the lead, while Alexander maintained third. Vincenzo maintained his position, but nearly edged past Luca. Now around 14 seconds behind the rest of the pack, one would think that my race was over. I refused to believe that, and started pushing extremely hard. I knew that at the current rate, I would ruin my tyres way before my scheduled pitstops, but I didn't care, people would laugh at me anyway for finishing last, so I might as well put up a short-lived show. By lap 5, I had closed the gap between Jarno and I to 8 seconds, and I was pushing harder than ever when I saw the yellow flags being waved. Then, to my shock and disbelief, I saw the 'SC' boards being held up. The safety car was out! And this meant we would all be together again. I felt that my efforts were all for nothing however, as I had tried so hard only for the job to be done for me. I radioed in to ask for new tyres, but the team was intent that I keep on pushing on my current set. As we reached Curva do Sol, I saw the victim. Jan Magnussen's Stewart lay stationary with just three wheels attached to the body. It seemed like a terrible accident at first, but as I surveyed the area for debris, the only thing I saw was Jan's front wing and a few shards of metal off the racing line. I later found out that Jan's brakes had failed, causing him to fly off at the S do Senna, spinning several times before his front hit the tyre barriers.

It didn't take too long for the marshals to clear up the mess, and we were off by lap 9. I attempted to slipstream myself past Jarno coming into the S do Senna, but perhaps my inexperience caused me to overshoot the braking point and nearly slam into Pedro who was ahead of Jarno. I now found myself in Jan's position, and to be honest, it felt extremely frightful. Watching it on television was one thing, but as a driver, you never wanted it to happen. I flew across the S do Senna and landed back on the track relatively unscathed, though I feared there was some floor or suspension damage that I could not see. I was pretty sure I had done something because the car wouldn't stay in a straight line without the need to nudge the steering wheel slightly to the left. Needless to say, I had taken two steps backward, and Jarno was once again pretty much out of sight. I was angry at myself, simply because I had totally messed up to the point I couldn't be considered even amateurish. I began fearing for the job. I brought no money, and had no experience whatsoever. There was no need for me to be in the car, and Eric could easily plump for Ricardo Rosset, who was still lingering somewhere in the shadowy background, with millions of sponsorship dollars. I shrugged off the doubt, embarrassment and anger, and got on with the job, intent on at least passing Jarno. The gap was now 9 seconds, and by lap 14, I was able to reduce it to less than 2 seconds. To my delight, Pedro's car stopped right on track, perhaps due to the lack of oil, and I was promoted to 22nd. By lap 16, I was right on the tail of Jarno, and coming into the Senna do S, he slowed down noticeably, perhaps thinking I would be making the same mistake. Unfortunately for him, I didn't, and I kept it clean and tidy to come out of the corner in 21st. On the next lap, Rubens Barrichello's Ford engine gave way, promoting me to 20th. Just in front of me was Vincenzo, who was driving a cautious race, to say the least. Perhaps the team had made him aware of my mistakes, and didn't want him to make the same. There was no chance of him making an error, however, at least, that was my thought.

The first of my three scheduled pitstops was marked around lap 23, with Vincenzo's set for 21. By lap 20, I was all over his gearbox, and perhaps intentionally, he let me through. He came in for fresh tyres on the next lap, while I had 3 laps to go on my set. Now the aim was to pass Luca Badoer's Minardi, which was not too far in front of me. There wasn't time to make a move on him, but I decided I would try and close the gap to a second from the 1.3 seconds it was at that moment. When Burt called me in for my pitstop, the gap had closed to just under 1.1 seconds, not exactly what I wanted, but good enough. I didn't want to earn an unnecessary penalty for speeding in the pits, so I activated the limiter perhaps a bit too early. The crew was excellent, though the lollipop was raised a tad too late as I could feel, and hear, a slight scratch on the top of my helmet. I expected to see Vincenzo ahead of me by some margin when I exited the pitlane, but to my surprise, he had only just passed me. He was on warmer tyres, so the advantage was his. I didn't want to try too hard and destroy my rubber, so I tailed Vincenzo into the next lap. Once again, an opportunity arose quite quickly, and I was able to pass him with relative ease. I figured that there was something wrong with his vehicle, as the team weren't really a fan of team orders. I didn't think of radioing in to ask, however, as I had a race of my own. Luca made his pitstop on that lap, but as I predicted, he came out ahead of me by just about 2 seconds. I don't know if it was his fault, but just as he negotiated Subida do Lago, his rear wheels spun ferociously, and a big puff of smoke became visible. I thought he had spun, and did my best to keep in the centre of the track to avoid being hit from either side. To my surprise, Luca was still in front when I passed the smoke, but he must have injured his tyres pretty badly, as he continued sliding all over the place.

By lap 26, I had gained just about enough time to make a pass. I had to thank Luca, as if he didn't move out of the way, we would have both retired from the race. Meanwhile, Olivier had retaken the lead thanks to good strategy, while Gerhard in the Ferrari had spun off and stalled his engine. I had really lost count as to where on the field I was, and all I knew was that there were 53 laps left. I was feeling physically and mentally tired, and it was perhaps to my relief that my MCD V10 blew up on lap 34. It happened at the least ideal place however, when I was accelerating at Subida dos Boxes. The engine exploded with such suddenness that I could not control the car a single bit. I ended up spinning around 7 times, but when it stopped, I found myself at the pit entry. At least the team wouldn't have to recover the car from some gravel trap. I was in shock however, and nearly had a heart attack as I spun round and round and round. As I stumbled out of the cockpit, I shook my head in disappointment, and while I wasn't looking at him directly, I knew Eric was glaring at me. None of it was my fault, or at least, that was what I thought. I had overworked it in those early laps, and now, the team had to spend another few hundred thousand quid getting another engine. Australia was now just a dream, 'reality', had hit...

Olivier ended up winning his third race and his second of the season, while Damon managed to edge out Alexander to second after experiencing gear selection problems. Michael, Jacques and Jean made up the last scoring positions. As for Vincenzo, he ended up retiring after his gearbox became stuck in sixth gear. I must say, I hope that Argentina is way better than this.

Race Finishers

1. Olivier Panis Prost-Mugen 1:36:06.990
2. Damon Hill Arrows-Yamaha +24.859
3. Alexander Wurz Benetton-Renault +24.901
4. Michael Schumacher Ferrari +1:08.352
5. Jacques Villeneuve Williams-Renault +1:12.425
6. Jean Alesi Benetton-Renault +1 LAP
7. Eddie Irvine Jordan-Peugeot +1 LAP
8. Mika Hakkinen McLaren-Mercedes +1 LAP
9. Heinz-Harald Frentzen Williams-Renault +2 LAPS
10. Johnny Herbert Sauber-Petronas +2 LAPS
11. Ralf Schumacher Jordan-Peugeot +2 LAPS
12. Andrea Montermini Sauber-Petronas +3 LAPS
13. Shinji Nakano Prost-Mugen +4 LAPS
14. Mika Salo Tyrrell-Ilmor +4 LAPS
15. Jos Verstappen Tyrrell-Ilmor +4 LAPS
16. Luca Badoer Minardi-Ford +6 LAPS
17. Jarno Trulli Minardi-Ford +7 LAPS

Drivers Championship

Olivier Panis- 20
Damon Hill- 10
Gerhard Berger- 6
Alexander Wurz- 4
Jeroen Krautmeir- 3
Michael Schumacher- 3
David Coulthard- 2
Jacques Villeneuve- 2
Jean Alesi- 2

Prost Mugen- 20
Arrows Yamaha- 10
Ferrari- 9
Benetton-Renault- 6
Lola MCD- 3
McLaren Mercedes- 2
Williams Renault- 2

Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Panis for WDC!

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
Jeroen Krautmeir

Buenos Aires

After the Brazilian race, Eric didn't say a word to me. I feared for the worst, and when we arrived in Buenos Aires, I couldn't help but feel this would be my last race. About an hour after we arrived in the country, someone knocked on the door. I opened it, and found Burt whistling with a map in his hand. "Ready for some exploring?" he said enthusiastically. I wasn't willing to repeat my Sao Paulo street experience, so I tried to make an excuse. "Thanks Burt, but I'm still feeling tired." His smile soon disappeared, and he scowled at me. "Well, I'm fine with that." Obviously he wasn't, as I could here him stomping away to the elevator. Soon after I closed the door, someone else knocked. I walked back to the door, and opened it. This time, Vincenzo was there. "Hello Jeroen!" he said happily. "May I come in?" I nodded, and shut the door after he entered the room. As I turned to greet Vincenzo properly, I saw him leap onto my bed. "It's nice that Eric bothers to put us in such nice hotels, but I still fear for my job." he said, lying on my bed, staring at the ceiling. I stared at him. He turned his head to mine, and muttered, "You should too." That line caught my attention. "What do you mean?" I yelled, slightly perplexed. Vincenzo brought himself upright. He signalled to me to come sit beside him. I did so at once. He looked at me, and began talking. "Well, Eric is not too happy with the two of us about Brazil." I interrupted him. "It wasn't our fault! The cars faile..." "This is Formula One, Jeroen, we've learned it the hard way. Now let me talk." I allowed him to do so. "Lola are in trouble, they really are. Reynard and Dallara are totally kicking their arses in all types of motorsport, and that's not making a profit. Now, Eric wants to at least finish the season, but that looks unlikely if he holds on to us for every race." I frowned, and gave a response. "He wants 2 pay drivers, doesn't he?" Vincenzo nodded, with a worried look on his face. "Does he have anyone in mind?", I asked. "Well, my old friend and teammate Ricardo Rosset has millions of pounds with him, and Tora Takagi is a free agent with plenty of Yen." The two of us paused, the silence was deafening. I felt like a betrayed man, and wanted to kick something. Vincenzo got up, "I'll be going now." I nodded, showed him the door, and soon fell back into my bed, and attempted to take a nap. 'Life' in 'this world' became a little more stressful.

Buenos Aires, Quali

When I arrived at the paddock for qualifying, I couldn't help but scowl whenever I saw Eric nearby. It didn't help my chances of holding my seat in any way, but I had to release some of my anger. Qualifying was the usual, with Olivier securing pole position for the third time in a row. Next to him, however, was Heinz-Harald Frentzen in the Williams, after a stunning performance. As for me, I had to make an impression. Vincenzo went out first, and his first lap put him dead last. My first lap put be third last, ahead of Pedro Diniz, but Vincenzo and I improved to 16th and 19th respectively by the end of the day. In all honesty, it took forever for me to get to grips with the circuit, which provided little if any grip, and the car handled as though a hidden force was forcing it in the opposite direction I wanted it to go. Pedro became the only DNQ of the session, which was embarrassing for Arrows, as Damon Hill had qualified 3rd.

1. Olivier Panis Prost-Mugen 1:24.473
2. Heinz-Harald Frentzen Williams-Renault 1:25.271
3. Damon Hill Arrows-Yamaha 1:25.491
4. Michael Schumacher Ferrari 1:25.773
5. Jacques Villeneuve Williams-Renault 1:25.942
6. Ralf Schumacher Jordan-Peugeot 1:26.218
7. Eddie Irvine Jordan-Peugeot 1:26.327
8. Rubens Barrichello Stewart-Ford 1:26.564
9. Gerhard Berger Ferrari 1:26.619
10. Mika Hakkinen McLaren-Mercedes 1:26.799
11. David Coulthard McLaren-Mercedes 1:27.076
12. Jean Alesi Benetton-Renault 1:27.259
13. Johnny Herbert Sauber-Petronas 1:27.281
14. Alexander Wurz Benetton-Renault 1:27.690
15. Andrea Montermini Sauber-Petronas 1:28.035
16. Vincenzo Sospiri Lola-MCD 1:28.135
17. Luca Badoer Minardi-Ford 1:28.160
18. Mika Salo Tyrrell-Ilmor 1:28.224
19. Jeroen Krautmeir Lola-MCD 1:28.366
20. Shinji Nakano Prost-Mugen 1:28.413
21. Jos Verstappen Tyrrell-Ilmor 1:28.424
22. Jan Magnussen Stewart-Ford 1:28.455
23. Jarno Trulli Minardi-Ford 1:28.696
24. Pedro Diniz Arrows-Yamaha 1:30.679 (DNQ)
Last edited by Jeroen Krautmeir on 23 Nov 2010, 13:51, edited 1 time in total.

TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Eric Broadley better not fire you otherwise I'll tell him to go home :lol:
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

I must admit I'm impressed with the level of detail you're getting into the race description, are you actually racing yourself or are the results, etc just randomly generated for the story?

Also just a suggestion to maybe use some of the other drivers' surnames more often rather than their forenames because I keep seeing Pedro and thinking De La Rosa, even though I know he wasn't driving in 97! :lol:

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Jeroen Krautmeir

AndreaModa wrote:I must admit I'm impressed with the level of detail you're getting into the race description

Why, thank you! :)

are you actually racing yourself or are the results, etc just randomly generated for the story?

Also just a suggestion to maybe use some of the other drivers' surnames more often rather than their forenames because I keep seeing Pedro and thinking De La Rosa, even though I know he wasn't driving in 97! :lol:

All the results are created in my head. About the names, I'll, err, attempt to do that. :P

Wizzie wrote:Eric Broadley better not fire you otherwise I'll tell him to go home :lol:

:lol:

As I walked down the grid to my car, I couldn't help but feel sentiment against Eric. I wanted to stay in Formula One, but I didn't want to stay at Lola. The whole team was breaking down in front of my eyes. The money was obviously nowhere, the car was becoming geriatric, and the team as a whole was becoming demoralized and frustrated. By Monaco, we would almost certainly be locking out the last row of the grid, well, that was my prediction anyway. My main worry for the race was that i would be overtaken at the beginning by the cars behind me, as I still hadn't mastered the skill of stationary starts, not that I was good at rolling starts either. As Burt gave me my drink, I asked him what Vincenzo's strategy was. "No different than yours." he responded bluntly. I loathed his unfriendliness, but decided not to respond to that 4 word line. Just 4 minutes prior to the formation lap, the Kraftwerk song 'Die Roboter' began playing in my head. It had begun just as suddenly as 'Zoo Station' did in Brazil. I couldn't think of a reason as to why this would be happening, but looked forward to the possibility of 'Take On Me' playing in San Marino. Knowing how much I liked punishing the tyres, Burt and I opted for a 2 stop strategy, which most of the teams were using as well. The only difference, was that I would be switching to the hard-compound on both stops. Although this had the likelihood of putting me lower in the field at one point or another, we decided to bite the bullet. As we went off on the formation lap, Lola displayed their 'Excellent Experience In Motorsport' by screwing Vincenzo's rear-right wheel a tad too loose, and after spinning the wheels to move the car, the tyre went flying off, narrowly missing Alexander Wurz's helmet, with the tyre eventually landing on the left side of the track. Mika Salo nearly slammed into the back of Vincenzo's Lola, and was lucky to be able to stop in time. Two of Vincenzo's mechanics came rushing on track to quickly reattach the tyre, and after that was done, he and Mika sped off to catch the rest of us. Obviously, they would both have to start from the last row. This effectively bumped me up to 17th, which was all nice of course. Argentina's start/finish line was relatively flat, compared to Brazil's sloping one, and this meant I would have less trouble trying to get in gear. As I reached my grid position, I closed my eyes. Sweat was all over my face and I began breathing heavily. Burt radioed in, "Vincenzo and Mika are in position now, be ready." I opened my eyes again, hands on the steering wheel. My eyes were focussed on the five lights, and when they lit up, and then went off, the Argentine Grand Prix of 1997 was go.

I made an okay start, but was quick to swerve to the left to block an incoming Shinji Nakano. In hindsight, I had realized that had I continued forward, I would have smashed into Luca Badoer's slow starting Minardi, and it was Jos Verstappen who ended up tagging the Italian from the rear. No big damage had been done however, and the two continued the race as usual. Luca's slow start, however, promoted me up to 16th, and I was feeling quite good at that moment. Then, further up, I saw a car flying in the air, before smashing on the ground bottom first. I then saw a scarlet car without a rear wing spin into the gravel trap. I paid little attention afterwards however, and managed to outbreak Andrea Montermini's Sauber into the first corner. So now I was 14th, perfect, and the Brazilian nightmare was, thankfully, out of my head. Meanwhile, the safety car had been deployed, and this time, I was grateful that it came out, as I wouldn't have to work my tyres in attempts to overtake the man in front of me, who, at the time, was Alexander Wurz. The 'break' gave me the opportunity to ask Burt what had happened. "Cain and Abel, Jeroen. Ralf decided that the only way he was going to overtake Michael was by smashing into the rear of the Ferrari." he explained. I chuckled, but soon my head was filled with memories of my elder brother, Wilhelm. As children, we probably weren't the best of friends, but as I grew older, he became something of a role model. I sorely missed him. As we approached to the messy scene, I narrowly avoided committing an amateurish mistake. A jagged piece of metal from one of the cars remained on track, not yet cleared by the marshals. As I turned the car from side to side to keep heat in the tyres, I realized I had swayed too much to the left, and quickly made amends. If I had been a split second later, it would have ended in disaster. We spent 6 more laps under the safety car, and on lap 7, it was go go go! Olivier Panis and Heinz-Harald Frentzen remained first and second, but Jacques Villeneuve used the most of his CART experience, and got the jump on Damon Hill's Arrows to move up to third. I wasn't so fortunate however, and Alexander had my presence covered when the race was back to speed. Andrea Montermini attempted to use my slipstream to get past, but I was quick to close the door.

Nothing had changed by lap 15, and I was still holding up Andrea. Alexander, however, was by now out of sight. I attributed this to my tyre choice, along with my reluctance to push Alexander, who was in a superior car. The two Tyrrells of Mika Salo and Jos Verstappen had slowly climbed up the field thanks to good racecraft, and soon, they were tailing Andrea, who was visibly frustrated at my successful defensive efforts. All three behind me were on the soft tyre, while I was on the hard tyre. I made no effort to push, and concentrated on holding ground. On lap 19, the first round of pitstops began, with Jan Magnussen in the Stewart first in. Sadly for Heinz-Harald, any chance of a win disappeared when his Williams ground to a halt with a hydraulics problem. I had realized that my fuel consumption was relatively low, so I made the decision to reduce the volume of fuel added to the car, in an attempt to get a quicker pitstop. On lap 22, Vincenzo was brought in for his stop, and thankfully, there were no hiccups. On lap 24, Burt noticed the Sauber crew getting ready. With Johnny Herbert some distance away from Jean Alesi, and Andrea still bottled up behind me, it was obvious who was in. Burt told me to enter the pit at the last possible moment, and I obeyed. I sped up slightly, and saw Andrea turning in. I turned a hard right, burning rubber, and entered the pitlane side by side. I decided to tail off slightly, as the Lola bay was the first one from the entrance. In a daring move, Burt decided to call out the crew at the last possible moment. This was to avoid the Sauber crew suddenly peeling back into the garage, allowing Andrea to do a quick lap, then hopefully come out ahead of me when his stop was done. My late turn into the lane was also part of the plan, but I was quite nervous as the crew was still rushing out with the tyres when I peeled in. I didn't lose time, however, and I must say I was fortunate. Hard tyres came back on, while Andrea was given new soft tyres. It was tight, but I edged out ahead of the Italian, who nearly clipped my rear-right tyre when exiting his box. The Tyrrells were still on track however, and it seemed as though we had lost 2 places.

Back in front, Damon Hill's Yamaha engine exploded at Horquilla, promoting me to 12th. Nothing much had changed by lap 35. All the cars had made their first pitstop, and the top 6 remained as Panis, Villeneuve, Irvine, Barrichello, Berger and Hakkinen. Andrea was clearly frustrated, and after shaking his fist several times, he dived inside me on the start/finish straight, touching wheels twice, before only just managing to break in time. I was stunned, not to mention angry, and I wanted that place again. I realized that I could use my hard tyres to an advantage, as Andrea’s soft compound would run out of steam after time. On lap 38, I set my personal best, and did well to keep the gap between Andrea and I under 0.2 seconds. Behind the two of us, Vincenzo was driving a fantastic race, and after forcing his way past the two Minardis and Jan, he was now 14th, just a position behind me, albeit, some 11 seconds away. On lap 41, I set another personal best, and after Andrea misjudged his braking at turn 2, I dived on the outside, and squeezed him onto the grass, taking back 12th. The Italian was less than impressed, and gave me ‘the finger’. “How unsporting of him to do that!” I muttered, wearing a boyish grin at the same time. So I was back in 12th, and the Tyrrells were surprisingly still ahead, yet to make their first pitstops. I didn't believe it, but on lap 45, Mika Salo finally dived into the pits for a new set of tyres. It was also time for the 2-stoppers to make their last stop, so Tyrrell's strategy worked! Andrea's tyres were clearly destroyed, and by lap 48, I was about 3 and a half seconds ahead of the Sauber. Burt told me that I should be in on the next lap, and I agreed. The pitstop was neat and tidy, and I rejoined still ahead of Andrea, who had made his pitstop in near desperation. Vincenzo was in on lap 50, and I retook 12th place. Then, Rubens Barrichello's Ford engine blew up, again, sending me up to 11th. Gerhard Berger then spun off after running over the oil which was left over the track, and Jos was sent spinning off in almost identical fashion. To my disbelief, I was running in the top 10!

And with just 20 laps to go, I didn't intend on dropping out for any reason whatsoever. Vincenzo had managed to rejoin the track ahead of Andrea, and so he was able to keep him at bay for me. It seemed as though the whole race had been planned for my satisfaction! On lap 60, the top 10 cars were Olivier from Jacques, Eddie, Mika H, David, Jean, Alexander, Johnny, Mika S and me, and it would stay that way until the very end. The team was satisfied, and it was a good morale boost to finish in the top 10 on our own accord. Eric's faith in me simply had to be restored, and if my Argentina performance didn't, then I don't know what would.

Race Finishers

1. Olivier Panis Prost-Mugen 1:52:01.715
2. Jacques Villeneuve Williams-Renault +0.979
3. Eddie Irvine Jordan-Peugeot +12.089
4. Mika Hakkinen McLaren-Mercedes +29.919
5. David Coulthard McLaren-Mercedes +30.351
6. Jean Alesi Benetton-Renault +31.393
7. Alexander Wurz Benetton-Renault +46.359
8. Johnny Herbert Sauber-Petronas +55.361
9. Mika Salo Tyrrell-Ilmor +1 LAP
10. Jeroen Krautmeir Lola-MCD +1 LAP
11. Vincenzo Sospiri Lola-MCD +1 LAP
12. Andrea Montermini Sauber-Petronas +1 LAP
13. Luca Badoer Minardi-Ford +2 LAPS
14. Shinji Nakano Prost-Mugen +2 LAPS
15. Jarno Trulli Minardi-Ford +4 LAPS
16. Jan Magnussen Stewart-Ford +4 LAPS

Drivers Championship

Olivier Panis- 30
Damon Hill- 10
Jacques Villeneuve- 8
Gerhard Berger- 6
Alexander Wurz- 4
Eddie Irvine- 4
David Coulthard- 4
Jeroen Krautmeir- 3
Michael Schumacher- 3
Mika Hakkinen- 3
Jean Alesi- 3

Prost Mugen- 30
Arrows Yamaha- 10
Ferrari- 9
Williams Renault- 8
McLaren Mercedes- 7
Benetton-Renault- 7
Jordan-Peugeot- 4
Lola MCD- 3