Luca di Motezemolo is a <insert rude word>

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Jordan192

Luca di Motezemolo is a <insert rude word>

Post by Jordan192 »

I coined the term "Lewisteria". The irony is that I actually quite like Lewis Hamilton.
Tealy

Re: Luca di Motezemolo is a <insert rude word>

Post by Tealy »

I've heard it a few times that Alonso lost the race because Hamilton and Button passed him while he was negotiating backmarkers. This isn't true, Buemi was in the lead and fighting Alonso for position. It's nobody but Alonso's fault that he lost out to Hamilton because he couldn't overtake Buemi.

As for this talk about buttons, your guess is as good as mine.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Luca's just pissy because Ferrari aren't winning. In the old days, it used to be a Cold War between Ferrari and McLaren, but Red Bull has since replaced Ferrari at the top. Ferrari want to go back to those times, but since it's not happening, he's taking his frustrations out on the new teams.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
mario

Post by mario »

Given that the article was translated from Italian to English (it was originally in the Gazetta Dello Sport), it could simply be a mistranslation - say, the Italian equivalent of being "on the button" i.e. on top form (and Ferrari have made a few mistakes this season, so he has a point there).
As for his complaints about being held up by backmarkers, it is kind of predictable, given that Alonso lost places due to a bit of bad luck with backmarkers, and some quite oppourtunistic moves by Hamilton and Button. I guess that since the grid has been so tight for several years, the teams and the drivers are not used to negotiating backmarkers who are a long way off their pace (whereas, in previous years, the front runners might have been more used to it).

However, we have seen that getting past slow backmarkers is an important driver skill, and has often been a crucial turning point in previous races - for example, Mansell and his instinctive move on Senna at the Hungaroring, when Senna hesitated whilst passing a backmarker. And I bet you that if the situation was reversed (i.e. Alonso profited from problems getting past a backmarker), there would be far fewer complaints...
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
jackanderton

Post by jackanderton »

Overtaking backmarkers is part of F1. On another day it could be Alonso benefiting, so he should shut up. They've chosen a driver with a reputation for getting flustered at the slightest thing a backmarker does, so live with it.

Is he still angling for 3 Ferraris on the grid? He can eff off.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

I agree with the idea of 3 cars of top teams on the grid. Would give more drivers the chance of getting on the Real Deal.

On the other hand, Ferrari have already had a few too many problems with the Hispanias this season, such as Massa bumping the back of Chandhok back in Spain (I think). I think what he means is F1 has changed. Back in the days, regulations were liberal and teams would go on developing their cars and achieving an advantage to act as a cushion. These days it's all terribly tight, and a bit of bad luck can spoil it for the team which - remember - has the largest budget and pressure to deliver.

I can see the frustration, despite the fact that I have no sympathy whatsoever for Ferrari or Luca's pronunciations all the way down from the second floor.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

That's the deal, Mr. Montezemolo; you have to expect that your drivers will sooner or later have to lap a slower car, which has ALWAYS happened in Formula One. What does he want, an all-Ferrari grid? If Alonso had bad luck lapping cars, it's not such a big deal. Next time, it'll be Hamilton or Vettel, goddammit.
And what's that "pushing buttons" thing? Do their drivers have problems with buttons on the steering wheel just like McLaren drivers? Or is because neither Alonso nor Massa have pushed Button off the track yet?
RejectSteve

Post by RejectSteve »

jackanderton wrote:Overtaking backmarkers is part of F1. On another day it could be Alonso benefiting, so he should shut up. They've chosen a driver with a reputation for getting flustered at the slightest thing a backmarker does, so live with it.

You are correct, sir! This goes back to his whining about needing spare cars when Alonso shunted his in FP3 in Monaco.

Alonso crashed. His mistake.
Alonso was afraid to overtake an also-ran. His problem.

For Luca and Fernando, my advice would be simple - get on with it.

As far as the title, Luca di Montezemolo is a tool.
Nissanymania! Friday has never been the same since.

The car in front is a Stefan.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Phoenix wrote: What does he want, an all-Ferrari grid?

He had it. It was called A1 GP. It lasted 1 season with the Ferrari chassis. Then it failed. :D
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
IdeFan

Post by IdeFan »

Luca's always been a tool, I suspect hes doing "a Bernie" by saying stuff that he knows is controversial just to get some PR. All publicity is good publicity!

As far as the title goes, 'Nando could be a dark horse, he wasn't far off winning in Canada, and Ferrari supposedly have a huge update coming soon (supposedly the same sort of exhaust blown diffuser RBR are using). Ferrari are quite capable of closing the gap in the development race, and Alonso is only 15 points off the lead. Of course they might continue to be a little off the pace for the rest of the season, i'm just saying Alonso is still close enough to be a contender, especially if Hamilton and Button, Vettel and Webber continue to take points off each other.

They're probably a little too far back in the constructors.
"Well we've got this ridiculous situation where we're all sitting by the start-finish line waiting for a winner to come past and we don't seem to be getting one!" - James Hunt, Monaco 1982
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Luca's beginning to sound like a broken record. This is about the fourth of fifth time he's lashed out this season. Maybe someone should Gibbs-slap him across the back of the head to get him off the skipping track and talk about something new.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
mario

Post by mario »

IdeFan wrote:Luca's always been a tool, I suspect hes doing "a Bernie" by saying stuff that he knows is controversial just to get some PR. All publicity is good publicity!

As far as the title goes, 'Nando could be a dark horse, he wasn't far off winning in Canada, and Ferrari supposedly have a huge update coming soon (supposedly the same sort of exhaust blown diffuser RBR are using). Ferrari are quite capable of closing the gap in the development race, and Alonso is only 15 points off the lead. Of course they might continue to be a little off the pace for the rest of the season, i'm just saying Alonso is still close enough to be a contender, especially if Hamilton and Button, Vettel and Webber continue to take points off each other.

They're probably a little too far back in the constructors.

Well, Ferrari are anticipating that they could gain at least 0.3-0.4s per lap, possibly more, once they have got everything in place. Alonso is certainly close enough to be able to mount a challenege if the Mclaren and Red Bull drivers keep taking points off each other, but Ferrari will have to work quite hard to keep up with the others.
They might gain a brief head start at Valencia, but Mclaren are planning a very big upgrade package for Silverstone (with a few rumours of as much as 0.5s per lap, and a new back end which also copies the Red Bull), and Red Bull are not exactly hanging around with developments either. They have the resources to close the gap, but it might take a few races before they can catch them - and it is a lot easier to defend a championship lead then chase it down, as many, including Alonso, will be able to attest to.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Henrique

Post by Henrique »

Now he's saying that GP2 cars are for GP2 races and shouldn't be allowed in F1 races :?
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Henrique wrote:Now he's saying that GP2 cars are for GP2 races and shouldn't be allowed in F1 races :?

He's just annoyed that they get in Ferrari's way. Well, guess what, Luca? They get in everyone's way and if your drivers can't get past them, they probably shouldn't be in Formula 1.

His reactions to them will be interesting when they catch up with his cars ...