Rantbox

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Debaser

Re: Rantbox

Post by Debaser »

Will this forum be a World Cup free zone this summer???
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

Debaser wrote:Will this forum be a World Cup free zone this summer???

Thierry 'Evil Cheat' Henry.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

shinji wrote:

I'ld be scared if I was part of the German Squad if the last 3 races are anything to go by :lol:
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

shinji wrote:

That is the exception to the rule.
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

I would hope that any exuberance, celebration, taunting or other soccer-related (or football-related for you foreign folk) activities stay contained to your signatures. Let's not affect the forum itself with more blatant nationalism than usual.

Also, Portugal produces inferior moderators.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

thehemogoblin wrote:I would hope that any exuberance, celebration, taunting or other soccer-related (or football-related for you foreign folk) activities stay contained to your signatures. Let's not affect the forum itself with more blatant nationalism than usual.

Jingo is sooooo 19th century.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

you don't have to worry, my country hasn't qualified a tournament since 2002 :D
and cheering for a referee is just stupid :P

so 'll keep my nationalism strictly about racing, like it should!
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
coops

Post by coops »

Come on Scotland!

Oh, hang on...
"Aerodynamics is for those who cannot manufacture good engines."
-Enzo Ferrari
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

coops wrote:Come on Scotland!

Oh, hang on...

Scotland has a successful IndyCar driver, and a participant in DTM...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
coops

Post by coops »

dr-baker wrote:
Oh, hang on...

And the English F1 drivers will continue to have success long after the Football team have returned home in shame and failure. Again. :lol:
-Enzo Ferrari
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

coops wrote:
dr-baker wrote:
Oh, hang on...

And the English F1 drivers will continue to have success long after the Football team have returned home in shame and failure. Again. :lol:

Hurrah! We're good at at least one thing... ADx, what are Wales good at?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
coops

Post by coops »

dr-baker wrote: ADx, what are Wales good at?

Staying under water for long periods of time?
-Enzo Ferrari
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

dr-baker wrote:

Oh, hang on...

Three participants in DTM of one should've won the last race and one scored her first points :D
mario

Post by mario »

CarlosFerreira wrote:
thehemogoblin wrote:I would hope that any exuberance, celebration, taunting or other soccer-related (or football-related for you foreign folk) activities stay contained to your signatures. Let's not affect the forum itself with more blatant nationalism than usual.

Jingo is sooooo 19th century.

You wish - although talking of jingoism reminds me of one of Orwell's comments in 'Homage to Catalonia' - 'The advent of arial warfare might finally give us the chance to see that rare sight - a jingo with a bullet hole in him'.

dr-baker wrote:Hurrah! We're good at at least one thing... ADx, what are Wales good at?

The ritualised warfare otherwise known as Rugby?

Either way, I'm hoping that this will remain one little oasis free from the World Cup hyperbole. That said, it'll give us some entertainment when we see the FA try to explain why England goes out early on in the tournament. That said, whilst England may underperforn on the international stage, the one thing that the English FA is best at is maximising its profits. During the last tournament, they made nearly double the amount that the next best (Germany, who were hosting the tournament) did; they really were milking the tournament for every single sponsorship pound they could get.

That said, the drivers seem keen to chat about the World Cup - before the Turkish GP, there was a bit of banter between Webber and Schumacher in one of the press conferences about the Australia - Germany match. Schumacher initally joked "Do you even have a team?" to Webber, who was talking up the chances of Australia, naturally, and saying "Well, we're hoping for the best". Rubens then chipped in, joking about how Brazil were going to thrash everyone. Hamilton joked that he wasn't going to give any predictions, lest somebody beat him to the bookmakers, whilst Button admitted that he didn't have a clue as he didn't like football anyway.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

I have begun to "talk footie" in the Dept, after even the girls started chipping in. I no longer try to talk of sports with anyone, just football; remaining males now see me as normal, I feel thoroughly depressed. :(
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

CarlosFerreira wrote:I have begun to "talk footie" in the Dept, after even the girls started chipping in. I no longer try to talk of sports with anyone, just football; remaining males now see me as normal, I feel thoroughly depressed. :(

If you think you're depressed now, wait until Portugal loses in the group stage.
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

thehemogoblin wrote:
CarlosFerreira wrote:I have begun to "talk footie" in the Dept, after even the girls started chipping in. I no longer try to talk of sports with anyone, just football; remaining males now see me as normal, I feel thoroughly depressed. :(

If you think you're depressed now, wait until Portugal loses in the group stage.

...to North Korea.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

shinji wrote:
thehemogoblin wrote:

...to North Korea.

I am cheering for North Korea, praying to every conceivable deity that they'll defect after winning the world cup. With Vangelis' "Chariots of Fire" on the background.

I know most people don't believe it, but the extent of my indifference for football beggars belief. Remember when Portugal played Greece in the European Cup final? In Portugal? The nation stopped to watch it feverishly.
I was watching MotoGP from Brazil. Won by a Japanese rider whose name now eludes me, on a Honda RC 211 V, because of the Bridgestone tyres. Rossi, on Michelins, tried so hard to catch him, he dropped it. Great race. :geek:
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

CarlosFerreira wrote:
I am cheering for North Korea, praying to every conceivable deity that they'll defect after winning the world cup. With Vangelis' "Chariots of Fire" on the background.

As am I, they carry the F1 Rejects spirit to the World Cup.

For example, a squad consists of 23 players, with 3 goalkeepers. North Korea, trying to exploit this, only brought two keepers, and an extra striker. Now that striker is registered as a goalkeeper, and won't be able to play anywhere but in goals.

In a sport where stuff like that so rarely happens, you have to take whatever scrap of hilarity you can.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

shinji wrote:
CarlosFerreira wrote:

For example, a squad consists of 23 players, with 3 goalkeepers. North Korea, trying to exploit this, only brought two keepers, and an extra striker. Now that striker is registered as a goalkeeper, and won't be able to play anywhere but in goals.

If the striker can only play in the goal, why didn't they bring a third keeper? I mean, sounds daft... besides, 23 players is over two teams, why cheat?
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

CarlosFerreira wrote:
I know most people don't believe it, but the extent of my indifference for football beggars belief. Remember when Portugal played Greece in the European Cup final? In Portugal? The nation stopped to watch it feverishly.
I was watching MotoGP from Brazil. Won by a Japanese rider whose name now eludes me, on a Honda RC 211 V, because of the Bridgestone tyres. Rossi, on Michelins, tried so hard to catch him, he dropped it. Great race. :geek:

The name you're looking for is Makoto Tamada. His best days went before I got interested in the sport (my first year was Hayden's championship year, although I remember watching Doohan and Creville when I was younger). I hear that the latest Moto2 race was good, is it worth watching on catch-up?
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
LionZoo

Post by LionZoo »

CarlosFerreira wrote:I was watching MotoGP from Brazil. Won by a Japanese rider whose name now eludes me, on a Honda RC 211 V, because of the Bridgestone tyres. Rossi, on Michelins, tried so hard to catch him, he dropped it. Great race. :geek:

Rider in question is Makoto Tamada. 2004 was by far his strongest, most promising, season in MotoGP. After that season his MotoGP career, just like fellow countryman Takuma Sato's F1 career, seemed to fall off a cliff.
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

CarlosFerreira wrote:
shinji wrote:
CarlosFerreira wrote:

If the striker can only play in the goal, why didn't they bring a third keeper? I mean, sounds daft... besides, 23 players is over two teams, why cheat?

They naively thought they'd found a loophole.

They hadn't.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

LionZoo wrote:Rider in question is Makoto Tamada. 2004 was by far his strongest, most promising, season in MotoGP. After that season his MotoGP career, just like fellow countryman Takuma Sato's F1 career, seemed to fall off a cliff.

Tamadaaaaa! Yeah, he won 2 or 3 races that year, thanks to the Bridge tyres. Brilliant, but when the top guys changed to the same rubber, that was that.

watka wrote:The name you're looking for is Makoto Tamada. His best days went before I got interested in the sport (my first year was Hayden's championship year, although I remember watching Doohan and Creville when I was younger). I hear that the latest Moto2 race was good, is it worth watching on catch-up?

Moto2 is THE BOMB. 10-abreast bikes piling up at first corner, plus Jules "no gravel trap big enough" Cluzel battling it out with notorious maniacs Elias, Debon, Talmacsi and the ever-so-quick Luthi. Forget MotoGP, Moto2 is brilliant racing.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

shinji wrote:They naively thought they'd found a loophole.

They hadn't.

"What turbo?" - "Oh, that turbo!" - "It doesn't say in the regulations we can't run a turbo!" - "Oh, it does. Oh."
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
MinardiFan95

Post by MinardiFan95 »

I could not care less about soccer/football, even if it is the World Cup. The Australia vs. Germany match will be on TV at around the same time as the Canadian GP - you can already guess what I will be watching.
This is a cool spot.
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

i can't remember seeing the german team actually playing an exciting game, easy choice :D i'd even doubt if it were the valencia GP :P
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

MinardiFan95 wrote:I could not care less about soccer/football, even if it is the World Cup. The Australia vs. Germany match will be on TV at around the same time as the Canadian GP - you can already guess what I will be watching.

Son of a biscuit.
P_Friesacher

Post by P_Friesacher »

Well since it's somewhat foreseeable that our dear northerly neighbors are going to win that one I'm going to watch the race, too. But I'll never forgive myself, if Australia actually manages to pull off a win! Might have to switch back and forth a bit.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

CarlosFerreira wrote:

They hadn't.

"What turbo?" - "Oh, that turbo!" - "It doesn't say in the regulations we can't run a turbo!" - "Oh, it does. Oh."

Are you, or have you formerly been, an employee for Toyota Team Europe or any of its affiliates?*

*For those who don't know, it's a reference to the 1995 WRC season, where Toyota ran an illegal restrictor on their turbos.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

kostas22 wrote:
CarlosFerreira wrote:

They hadn't.

Are you, or have you formerly been, an employee for Toyota Team Europe or any of its affiliates?*

*For those who don't know, it's a reference to the 1995 WRC season, where Toyota ran an illegal restrictor on their turbos.

I did not have sexual relations with that woman, Miss Lewinsky.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
RejectSteve

Post by RejectSteve »

What's this World Cup that you're all on about? As I recall, there hasn't been one since 2004:

Uninterestingly, of the 2010 FIFA World Cup qualifiers, only Germany, Slovakia, and USA have competed in the 8-nation WCHockey which typically also includes Canada, Czech Republic, Finland, Russia, and Sweden. If you include England (as part of Great Britain), 21 play in the IIHF's Ice Hockey World Championships, including all of AFC & OFC, 12 UEFA (not Portugal), Mexico, New Zealand, South Africa, and USA. Algeria haven't but are involved in the African & Arab Cups while Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and Portugal have all played or attempted to qualify for the IIHF Inline (roller) Hockey World Championships.
Nissanymania! Friday has never been the same since.

The car in front is a Stefan.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Thanks for bringing up hockey *sarcastically*, still a bit annoyed after losing the Stanley Cup final.

Back on topic, Nick Heidfeld of all people is doing commentary on the practice sessions. He always seemed to do really well here.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

Whatever the problems with F1, at least there aren't vuvuzelas.
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

shinji wrote:Whatever the problems with F1, at least there aren't vuvuzelas.

Or Sepp Blatter
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Debaser wrote:
shinji wrote:Whatever the problems with F1, at least there aren't vuvuzelas.

Or Sepp Blatter

Huh? I don't get either reference. maybe a Google search beckons...

EDIT: are both hockey refernces by any chance?
MCard LOLA
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

redbulljack14 wrote:Thanks for bringing up hockey *sarcastically*, still a bit annoyed after losing the Stanley Cup final.

How about them Blackhawks? :D
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Cynon wrote:
redbulljack14 wrote:Thanks for bringing up hockey *sarcastically*, still a bit annoyed after losing the Stanley Cup final.

Ah well, we didn't do bad considering we were lucky to get in the playoffs in the first place.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Cynon wrote:

Damn you Blackhawks! That's the second time in a row you beat the Canucks in the conference semis!
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

Cynon wrote:

That was the first championship for any team I root for since 1977. So sweet.