Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - Turkey

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
CarlosFerreira

Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - Turkey

Post by CarlosFerreira »

As Webber scans the crowd for a short, boyband lookalike German to punch, you are once again called to vote for the Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race, an award

based on the assumption that, at any moment in time, there is a non-zero probability that even the slowest, most inexperienced and least reliable of underdogs might win the race. That under every rock, there might be a gold nugget. This is the award for that first podium that we all celebrate, for the overtake no-one was expecting, for Nico Rosberg's first win. This is the award, in short, for the driver or team that makes you go "Woah! Where did THAT come from?!".

Just remember: this is a feel-good award, that will focus on nothing but track action.

Usual rules: everyone gets two votes. First vote is worth 10 points, the second 6. Something like

1st (10 points): McLaren - didn't expect the Evil English to be so close this weekend, to be honest
2nd (6 points): Kobayashi - dragged it into Q3, came home 10th in the race to score a useful point
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
muttley

Re: Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - Turkey

Post by muttley »

1. KOBAYASHI!!!
2. Petrov - nice race, too bad about the flat tire.
RAK

Post by RAK »

1) Kamui Kobayashi: First point for Sauber this season. Reasonably strong performance.
2) Lewis Hamilton: We know he pushes hard, but he really kept the pressure up behind the Red Bulls before the Vettel-Webber shunt. Good win.
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

1. Kobayashi for finally opening the points tally for BMW Sauber Ferrari
2. Petrov for having best race of the season speed-wise. Shame about the incident with Alonso which cost him good finish but it helped him to get FL.
LionZoo

Post by LionZoo »

1. Kamui Kobayashi - For finally getting a point for Sauber.
2. Evil English Empire - I hate them as a team, but there was really nothing between them and Red Bull in terms of race pace and that has to be commendable considering they looked like the 3rd fastest team (barely) at the start of the season.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

1st Vitaly Petrov Result doesn't back this up, but was impressive until he picked up the puncture. Fastest Lap proves a point.
2nd Bruno Senna Was challenging the Virgins all race until his car gave up on him.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

1. Kobayashi, he was my hero back in October, he faded from my thoughts; now he's risen to prominence again, what a guy.

2. Petrov, can't be as poetic as I was with Koba but he still had a good race until that flat tyre, received after valiantly battling Alonso.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

1.: Jaime Alguersuari - Came this close to scoring points and the FLAP

2.: Heikki Kovalainen - I need the points...
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

1. Sauber - Yes, it was fantastic to see Kobayashi scoring again, but let's not forget the fact that Pedro de la Rosa was right on him as well. Sauber as a whole are starting to establish themselves as a genuine threat for points, and they are taking the mantle from Williams and Toro Rosso as the biggest threat to Force India for 6th.

2. Petrov - Again, Vitaly is proving himself as the biggest star among the rookies this year, and if he can keep a cooler head, he may just help support Renault to beat Mercedes to 4th.
Last edited by Salamander on 30 May 2010, 14:26, edited 2 times in total.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Warren Hughes

Post by Warren Hughes »

1) Petrov - showed real speed and was unlucky to be taken out by Alonso

2) Kobayashi - scores a point in only his second finish of the season
Nico Rosberg wrote:Break me down mentally? Good luck with that one.

:roll:
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Petrov - he didn't just show speed, he fended off Alonso for most of the race until the Spaniard ruined it for him.

McLaren - for proving Red Bull are not infallible simply by keeping their cool.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
Ross Prawn

Post by Ross Prawn »

Petrov. Good race, not far off Kubica's pace, fended off Alonso well (for a while).
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

1. McLaren - I didn't expect them to have caught up with Red Bull so quickly, they've really separated themselves from Ferrari and Mercedes now as the main challengers to Red Bull.

2. Kobayashi - He seems to be getting the best out of a crappy car, and carrying the team along. This will be a nice confidence boost for Sauber.

Petrov would have been there is he had not have run into the side of Alonso. Senna also deserves a mention for really upping his game and taking on an (albeit sick) Virgin of Di Grassi.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

de la rosa for not being to far of kobayashi's pace :D

no seriously, i'll nominate 1 petrov, he's starting to show what he's really worth
and 2 mclaren for having a better race pace than the red bulls, it was expected they'd be fast, but not that they were faster
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

1. Sauber - They were improved in general, De La Rosa was only 3 tenths behind Kobayashi at the end so the team should win the award.
2. Petrov - Good pace and not far off Kubica, his incident was a blessing for us though.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
mario

Post by mario »

Adding my two cents in here

1. Petrov - considering that Ferrari had been egging Alonso on, telling him that Petrov would not be able to withstand the pressure, Petrov did very well to fend Alonso off for as long as he did, and it took a fairly forceful move from Alonso to get past him. He was unlucky to end up with a puncture, and deserved to score points, but both he and Renault should be pleased with his performance.

2. Mclaren - I had expected Red Bull to pull away from the Mclaren duo, but both Hamilton and Button were able to keep the pressure on Red Bull up until Vettel and Webber collided. A surprisingly strong showing, since they were genuinely there on merit, and pleasing, because it now looks as if Red Bull might not have things all their own way from here on in, which might liven up proceedings.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Dan B

Post by Dan B »

1) Kobayashi for proving that the Sauber does have speed and collecting their first needed point.
2) Petrov for giving the fight to Alonso until Alonso cut his tire.

Honorable mention goes to Sutil for picking up a point too.

That's all I can think of; while the McLarens did do well that was to be expected of their team, I didn't find anything remarkably exciting other than Vettel's gaff.
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

Sauber

Senna
DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
Pedestrian

Post by Pedestrian »

I'm going to be a bit unconventional and nominate Mark Webber. Not for the race, but for leading the championship. Who would have expected it at the start of the season? Before the first race, I think that from the "big 4" teams, only Rosberg had less credibility as a title contender.

Second option: Kobayashi.
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

Sauber: Both cars finished

Virgin: Ditto
Myrvold

Post by Myrvold »

1.Senna. Finally managing to outqualify a driver from an another team in a dry qual!

2.Virgin. A very quick job to fix an oil leak on DiGrassi's car, and then proceeded to finish with both cars!
mario

Post by mario »

Myrvold wrote:1.Senna. Finally managing to outqualify a driver from an another team in a dry qual!

2.Virgin. A very quick job to fix an oil leak on DiGrassi's car, and then proceeded to finish with both cars!

Actually, that was a forgotten miracle by Virgin Racing - they were working frantically on that car, and it really was touch and go whether they could get it finished in time (Kravitz was down there, and you could see the team desperately bolting on the front nose cone assembly, and other bits and bobs, just before the race. To do that, and get the car to the finish, is a respectable effort from them, given that their rivals both broke down (in fact, it seems that the Lotus cars managed to synchronise their hydraulic system failures on the same lap).
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

mario wrote:
Myrvold wrote:1.Senna. Finally managing to outqualify a driver from an another team in a dry qual!

Actually, that was a forgotten miracle by Virgin Racing - they were working frantically on that car, and it really was touch and go whether they could get it finished in time (Kravitz was down there, and you could see the team desperately bolting on the front nose cone assembly, and other bits and bobs, just before the race. To do that, and get the car to the finish, is a respectable effort from them, given that their rivals both broke down (in fact, it seems that the Lotus cars managed to synchronise their hydraulic system failures on the same lap).

While I agree, the Virgin cars were also desperately slow, the updated "limo" version despite looking fancy and modern doesn't seem to have brought anything new in terms of pace, and I can just about imagine Richard Branson seeing di Grassi jostling for position with Bruno Senna's HRT and thinking "what am I doing here again?". It's a shame, because I personally WANT to believe the CFD concept, but the results are not making it any easier.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Myrvold

Post by Myrvold »

I want to belive in all the new teams, and HRT in special, I would really love to see it work out with someone outside the team making the car, like Dallara, Lola, Reynard etc. But, it isn't looking good...
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Petrov - Superb drive until Alonso basically took him out.

Senna - Solid effort in general.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
Jack O Malley

Post by Jack O Malley »

1) Kobayashi: first points for Sauber, and another Q3

2) Alguersuari: 3rd fastest lap in the race, nice.
Sorry guys, I had a little outing.
LionZoo

Post by LionZoo »

Looking at the press release from Sauber it really does look like Kobayashi destroyed his tires. For a big part of the race he was right behind Alonso and leading Sutil by a few seconds and as much as Sauber has gained, I think the Ferrari is still the faster car. For awhile, Kobayashi had the Sauber at a pace that it had no right to be at, but he destroyed his tires in the process. It seems that Kobayashi has the pace, as evidenced by his scorching Q2 lap, but still has issues with tire management.
tristan1117
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tristan1117 »

1. Petrov:
2. Alguersuari: I was really surprised when he set fastest lap. If it stuck, it would have been Minardi/STR's first fastest lap!
CoopsII wrote:On occasion I have ventured into the PMM forum but beat a hasty retreat soon after as it resembles some sort of bad acid trip in there
pablo_h

Post by pablo_h »

1 Kobayashi
2 Petrov
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

1. Kamui Kobayashi: To put it simply: KOBAYASHI KAMUI SCORES A POINTA!!! :lol:
2. Vitaly Petrov: This was by far his best race to date and was unlucky to be barged out of the way by Alonso and suffer a puncture as a result
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

1. Sauber

2. Petrov
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
coops

Post by coops »

Petrov

HRT (For showing signs of progress)
"Aerodynamics is for those who cannot manufacture good engines."
-Enzo Ferrari
Many Blue Flags

Post by Many Blue Flags »

1) McLaren - yeah, it was slightly inherited, but the only team working hard enough to keep up with the Evil Austrian Empire. Plus, the drivers actually showing some spirit in their driving with actual thinking behind it.

2) Senna - I think a fairly spirited drive overall, and a decent move on Di Grassi.
Also Known As 'Mr Two-Seconds-Off-The-Pace'

YAFUGGA BLOODY GAFUGGOV is all I say to you.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

1. Kobayashi-not only did he finish, he scored a point!
2. Petrov-qualifying in the top 10, unlucky to not finish there.
3. Alguersuari-great end-of-the-race pace (he was probably thinking "what the heck, my race is done, no chance of points, LET'S HAVE FUN!!!)
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

In a close battle, the cyborg from Vybog took on F1Rejects' perennial favourite - and beat him! In a track he likes, Vitaly Petrov was good enough to beat a sushi cook - amazing!

Code: Select all

Nominee   Points
Vitaly Petrov   150
Kamui Kobayashi   124
McLaren   54
Sauber   50
Bruno Senna   34
Jaime Alguersuari   22
Virgin   12
Mark Webber   10
Lewis Hamilton   6
Heikki Kovalainen   6