F1 Rejects Track Designing Competition

The place for alternate championships that use real results as a base of forming alternative results, driver careers, and games in general
This Could Be You

Re: F1 Rejects Track Designing Competition

Post by This Could Be You »

Here's my attempt, the 3.42KM, 14 corner (7 per loop) Central Croydon Super Special Stage (CCSSS for short), possibly the least glamorous super-special ever created. It does however work without any modifications to the surrounding streets, (besides a small stretch of pavement being used above the underpass,and Croydon high street being de-pedestrianised) as it even uses the Croydon Underpass as its crossover point (though this has necessitated an awkward hairpin) thus requiring no bridges. Each start is marked with a dot.
Last edited by This Could Be You on 30 Jan 2017, 17:31, edited 1 time in total.
Your Signature Here

Named after HRT, now on HRT
AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Here is the K-Town Thames Side Super Special Spectator Stage! Not even length either side of the fly-over, but not too far off, I hope. Fly-over going north-south is the intention, passing under going east-west.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
TheFlyingCaterham

Post by TheFlyingCaterham »

Aislabie wrote:
TheFlyingCaterham wrote:So I've had some fun designing some rally stages on mappedometer, but since that has already been a challenge, I'll go for the next best thing, design a super special stage (if for some reason you're not sure what counts as a super special stage the all knowing oracle explains it well). The total length of the course should be between 2-4km, and each half of the course should be roughly the same length. Any crossover point will be counted as a bridge, and if a route is made that doesn't follow a route visible on google maps I will just assume what surface the track is unless stated otherwise. Possible bonus point if you can find a place where you don't need to create any custom sections of track for your design (unless it is a pre-existing SSS course). Other than that, anything goes.

I feel like I could've explained that a lot better but meh

So a Race of Champions track, basically?

Pretty much, but not as compact.
Resident Track Designer Addict

2016 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Champion
2017 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Runner-Up

More of a reader than a poster on these forums, so I won't post much compared to others.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

What on earth possessed me to do a Super Special Stage based around Swindon's Magic Roundabout...

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=7015888

One car starts on the interior of the roundabout and heading anti-clockwise towards the north exit, following the stage round the football club and back to the west side of the roundabout. The other starts on the exterior heading clockwise towards the south exit, following the stage down towards New College Swindon and back to the east side of the roundabout.

Grandstands to be set up on the north side of the roundabout (Shrivenham Road), on the Swindon Cricket Club grounds, Lainesmead Primary School grounds and along Queen's Drive.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
This Could Be You

watka wrote:What on earth possessed me to do a Super Special Stage based around Swindon's Magic Roundabout...

I think we've all been affected by it; the entries are so far are in Croydon, Kingston-upon-Thames and Swindon- you can't get more exciting than that! :facepalm:
Your Signature Here

UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

I have no idea what I'm doing so this may make no sense
http://www.mappedometer.com/?maproute=583437
Other car starts on the other side of the dual carriageway. The "over" part is the one after the 3 km mark.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

Okay, so I'm still a little bit confused, but here we go: Milton Keynes Super Special Stage

I've changed this, but the cars still start on opposite sides of the dual carriageway.

Shame though, I quite liked the old (too long) one
Last edited by Aislabie on 01 Feb 2017, 21:12, edited 2 times in total.
TheFlyingCaterham

Aislabie wrote:Okay, so I'm still a little bit confused, but here we go: Milton Keynes Super Special Stage

One loop is quite twisty and technical, while the other is more of a flat-out blast along straight roads. I also managed it using only existing roads, which was hopefully the point.

TheFlyingCaterham wrote:The total length of the course should be between 2-4km

More of a reader than a poster on these forums, so I won't post much compared to others.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Everyone has been doing sealed-surface SSSes so far, so I thought I'd throw in one on less grippy terrain;

Ippodromo San Siro SSS
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=7018383

Superspecial stage around Buckingham Palace and yes one route does a 360 around the Victoria Memorial.
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

Close to similar shapes, but on surroundings one is wide open and one very tight:

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=7019947
UncreativeUsername37

This one's been long enough, let's get some rankings!
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:This one's been long enough, let's get some rankings!

What he said!

Image Image
TheFlyingCaterham

1. DemocalypseNow
2. AdrianBelmonte_
3. peteroli34
4. Aislabie
5. watka
6. dr-baker
7. This Could Be You
8. UgncreativeUsergname
9. Bleu

DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Forza Inter! :glasses:

Give me a day to think of a new challenge. The first couple of ideas have already been done.

Image Image
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Can You Tell Me How to Get to Sesame Street?

A is for Adelaide, B is for Baku, C is for Clermont-Ferrand. Your challenge is to create a circuit, which, from a bird's eye view is easily distinguishable as a letter of the English alphabet. Your criteria is as follows;

• Circuit length must be between 4-8km
  • Only existing roads can be used. They can be either public roads or existing paved tracks (i.e. you can venture into an existing track if you so wish, or an airfield, for example). You cannot demolish anything to achieve your route.
  • The more difficult a track design is to achieve, and the more natural track features and undulations it has, the better. For example, doing a track in the shape of the letter "O" on a flat open tarmac area is going to score poorly.
  • Your score will be better for how much like the letter you have chosen it is. If I can't even tell at first glance what letter you were trying to use, your score will suffer badly.
  • Capital letters score better than lower case letters. Image is important.

This episode of GPR Track Designing Competition is brought to you by the letter G. G stands for GO!

Image Image
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

My first thought was Park Crescent, but it turned out that it was a little too short.

I shall reconsider tomorrow.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Here are two intertwined X's. ..
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
UncreativeUsername37

http://www.mappedometer.com/?maproute=587152

I screwed up drawing turn 3, it's supposed to be constant-radius. Also, the whole track is very unsafe, but practicality wasn't on the list.
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

F.

Burgers Park Street Circuit, Pretoria, South Africa - the southbound carriageway of Nelson Mandela Drive to be used as a pit lane.
This Could Be You

Here's my attempt, the 4.15KM Grafton Street Circuit in Auckland, New Zealand, based around (a badly deformed version of) the letter B:
Your Signature Here

UncreativeUsername37

I know it drives nothing like it, but still. :P
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

No, no fancy presentation. No, no real descriptions of turns. Yes, I had a busy weekend.

Here it is, Sheffied United Street Circuit. (And, yes, I know it's nowhere near Bramall Lane. Shush.)
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
UncreativeUsername37

Come on, StramoneNow22! Don't be a hypocrite!
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

I was going to do this yesterday, but then I drank too much and slept afterwards. Better late than never?

DQ | UgncreativeUsergname [LINK]
You get credit for it looking mostly like the letter A. It's a perfectly serviceable track by the letter of the requirements. But I have to be impartial. You placed the track on the doorstep of the Stadio Giuseppe Meazza. I see your stuffed brown envelope, and I reject it. I am no politician - you cannot bribe me!

DQ | dr-baker [LINK]
The criteria asked for a letter of the English alphabet - singular. This is two linked together. Given the technical characteristics of the track, I would perhaps value a DQ over the ignominy of the position the track would have otherwise earned.

4th | This Could Be You [LINK]
I see the idea, but it hasn't quite panned out. It's like a child's first ever attempt at writing the letter B. Once you're down to street level, the streets running through the park seem a tad too narrow? The idea is nice, a New Zealand version of Albert Park, but for the purposes of this particular challenge, it hasn't quite hit the mark.

3rd | WaffleCat [LINK]
A reasonably decent street circuit, but again, wide of the mark of the letter it is supposed to represent. The lack of elevation doesn't help increase the score either - again, in another challenge this may have fared better, but it's awkward design from a bird's eye view hurts it too much.

2nd | Bleu [LINK]
I actually do no like the track itself particularly. A lot of the streets utilised here look far too narrow to be practical, and there is a large quantity of right angled corners. Not too sure what's going on at the southern tip of the track either. But it's one of only two tracks that really matches the prime requirement of the task, so it leaps up to 2nd on that merit alone.

1st | Aislabie [LINK]
This one is definitely the best compromise between the letter criteria and being a decent racing circuit. Admittedly, it's still got four right angle turns which I lambasted Lviv for, but the wide boulevards of Pretoria give plenty of space for manoeuvring. It seems you were also aware as to the risk of having too many long straights, breaking up Nelson Mandela Blvd. and Lilian Ngoyi St. with a chicanes to keep drivers on their toes. Also, most important of all, it really does look like the letter F!

Image Image
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

Grand.

This one will be a Short Circuit Challenge. Anything over two miles will be automatically disqualified.

Things to note:
  • You are designing this circuit for Formula Three cars, so it's up to you whether you want it to be twisty or not.
  • It doesn't have to be a street circuit; some great permanent circuits have also been a little shorter than average.
  • Please keep spectators in mind. It's no use having a great circuit if no bugger can actually see it.
  • Any distance between one mile (1.6 km) and two miles (3.2 km) is acceptable for this challenge.

Enjoy.
UncreativeUsername37

Comes free with flat oval no one will ever use!
HawkAussie

Post by HawkAussie »

Officially Retired
Normal32

Post by Normal32 »

Pasta_maldonado wrote:I think normal32 is an old English farmer re-incarnated
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Here we are, a Short Corse Course. Where? On Corsica, of course!

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=7029469
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

A short street circuit around the (grim) streets of Portsmouth, complete with fast and slow sections.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=7029479
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Sort of a hill climb/circuit hybrid in London, plenty of green space for grandstands: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=7029953
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

I think it's inside the rules...

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=7030130
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
This Could Be You

Here is my attempt, the 3.00KM, 16 corner Crystal Palace Parade Circuit (no, not the old Crystal Palace Circuit, which is to the right of it) which features some twisty bits, a steep uphill and a stupidly long straight with a hairpin at the end, a la AVUS.
(the picture's a bit blurry as the circuit doesn't fit on my screen all that well- there are two lines on the straight, either side of the road so the cars don't crash into eachother)
Last edited by This Could Be You on 28 Feb 2017, 20:35, edited 1 time in total.
Your Signature Here

dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

MCard LOLA
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

dr-baker wrote:http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=7030405

I'm pretty sure the objective was for a new design, not for a scaled down version of Dijon-Prenois :vergne:

Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Don't wrap up without me! I should have an entry within 24 hours.

Image Image
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

Autodromo de Tablada

The Autodromo de Tablada is a 2.55 km (1.5 mile) circuit over the former runway of the now defunct Aerodromo de Tablada and skirts the Guadalquivir river. Not a whole lot of grandstands due to funding, but thanks to Catalunya-like spectator banks, pretty much the entire circuit is visible for these spectators on the banking.

And, yep, this map is one of my interactive ones like last time, with info points for turns and spectator banks as well.
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!