The 2016 US Grand Prix presented by...sorry, wrong series

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Ataxia
Not Important

The 2016 US Grand Prix presented by...sorry, wrong series

Post by Ataxia »

Race Notes

- Lawrence Stroll has "confirmed" that offspring Lance will be in an F1 seat next season. Williams are believed to be waiting for Lance to turn 18 in order to make the announcement, due to Martini's sponsorship. The deal has been described as "shaken, but not yet stirred".

- Haas have decided to wait a few more rounds before confirming Esteban Gutierrez's position in the team, presumably waiting on the result of the US presidential elections.

- With Hulkenberg's move to Renault, there will be tons of predictions about the state of the midfield next season. Watch and wait as Ocon moves to Renault, Wehrlein moves to Force India, and Manor sign "Los Pollos Hermanos" Antonio Giovinazzi and Sean Gelael. KFC Indonesia Jagonya Ayam Manor Racing Team MRT Mercedes has a ring to it, no?

- COTA is a rubbish track. There, I said it.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Rob Dylan

Re: The 2016 US Grand Prix presented by...sorry, wrong serie

Post by Rob Dylan »

Ataxia wrote:- COTA is a rubbish track. There, I said it.

The Unpopular F1 Opinions thread has been in need of a comeback, hasn't it :P
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

Rob Dylan wrote:

Maybe I'm getting confused with the iRacing forums, but I thought "COTA is rubbish" was a highly popular opinion?
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

WTF? COTA rubbish track? Since when?
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Enforcer wrote:
Rob Dylan wrote:

Maybe I'm getting confused with the iRacing forums, but I thought "COTA is rubbish" was a highly popular opinion?

Nah, this is about the one Tilkedrome outside of Istanbul and maybe Sepang where the general consensus is "it's pretty good", even though Tilke had little to do with it.

That said, it's pretty bland after turn 11 (the hairpin before the stupidly long back straight) if you ask me...
#FreeGonzo
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

Turn 1 is so good that I don't care how good or bad the rest of the track is.
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

Ataxia wrote:COTA is a rubbish track. There, I said it.

#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

This has been one classic week for F1 news. Not only do we have Lewis Hamilton starring in Call of Duty, but after Lewis's rustling of the press's jimmies, it's seems the rustling is now on the other jimmie:
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/fia-calls-hamilton-to-attend-us-gp-press-conference-840051/?s=1
Will Hamilton continue to ignore the conferences and play on his phone, or will the FIA simply not ask him any questions? The world tunes in tomorrow to watch the show that's currently gripping America...the press conference :chilton:
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Rob Dylan wrote:Will Hamilton continue to ignore the conferences and play on his phone, or will the FIA simply not ask him any questions? The world tunes in tomorrow to watch the show that's currently gripping America...the press conference :chilton:

Bizarre. For a guy who claims he doesn't like media attention he certainly goes out of his way to do things that will guarantee media attention. I wonder what questions he'll be asked this weekend?
Just For One Day...
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

CoopsII wrote:
Rob Dylan wrote:Will Hamilton continue to ignore the conferences and play on his phone, or will the FIA simply not ask him any questions? The world tunes in tomorrow to watch the show that's currently gripping America...the press conference :chilton:

Bizarre. For a guy who claims he doesn't like media attention he certainly goes out of his way to do things that will guarantee media attention. I wonder what questions he'll be asked this weekend?

Maybe he'll perform another Prexit.

Also in tangentially related news, Ross Brawn and Adam Parr's book "Total Competition" is out on the 3rd November. According to motorsport.com, one of the contributing factors to Brawn's Mercexit (yes, I'm really doing this) was the lack of trust he had in Toto Wolff and Niki Lauda. I hope he lifts the lid on a few more bits and pieces.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Ataxia wrote:Also in tangentially related news, Ross Brawn and Adam Parr's book "Total Competition" is out on the 3rd November. According to motorsport.com, one of the contributing factors to Brawn's Mercexit (yes, I'm really doing this) was the lack of trust he had in Toto Wolff and Niki Lauda. I hope he lifts the lid on a few more bits and pieces.

Not a great surprise, really, it would've been a bit of a come-down for Brawn to start answering to a young whelp like Wolff after he saved the team from extinction. I wonder if it rankles Brawn to see Wolff enjoy the fruits of what is, ostensibly, Brawns labour. It'll be interesting to see how Wolff copes in the inevitable decline. Personally, I think when the funtimes are over and he's under pressure for results that simply aren't coming it won't be long before Wolff, ahem, legzit. I thank you.
Just For One Day...
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

CoopsII wrote:
Ataxia wrote:Also in tangentially related news, Ross Brawn and Adam Parr's book "Total Competition" is out on the 3rd November. According to motorsport.com, one of the contributing factors to Brawn's Mercexit (yes, I'm really doing this) was the lack of trust he had in Toto Wolff and Niki Lauda. I hope he lifts the lid on a few more bits and pieces.

Not a great surprise, really, it would've been a bit of a come-down for Brawn to start answering to a young whelp like Wolff after he saved the team from extinction. I wonder if it rankles Brawn to see Wolff enjoy the fruits of what is, ostensibly, Brawns labour. It'll be interesting to see how Wolff copes in the inevitable decline. Personally, I think when the funtimes are over and he's under pressure for results that simply aren't coming it won't be long before Wolff, ahem, legzit. I thank you.

Considering how bad driver management side has been at Mercedes, Brawn might have been right from the get go.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

Ataxia wrote:
CoopsII wrote:

Maybe he'll perform another Prexit.

Followed by an early Prixit?
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

GwilymJJames

Post by GwilymJJames »

Crooked Bernie dragging his failing sport to another potential dictatorship. Sad! #MakeFormula1GreatAgain
WARNING: Vettel fan.

Shut up Eccles!
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

GwilymJJames wrote:Crooked Bernie dragging his failing sport to another potential dictatorship. Sad! #MakeFormula1GreatAgain

#WhenwasitgreatpeoplehavecomplainedaboutsomeaspectofFormulaOneforaslongasIcanremember
Just For One Day...
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

great hashtag! gone into my sig lol
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

CoopsII wrote:
GwilymJJames wrote:Crooked Bernie dragging his failing sport to another potential dictatorship. Sad! #MakeFormula1GreatAgain

#WhenwasitgreatpeoplehavecomplainedaboutsomeaspectofFormulaOneforaslongasIcanremember

RIP phone view :pantano:
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

The drivers have been told that Verstappen's signature defence against being overtaken (moving to block an overtake while under braking) has been deemed illegal and incidents of it happening will be referred to the stewards.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

I'll be missing this race once again due to the late broadcast on C4. Let me know if it was any good.

I have my nominations sorted though.
Just For One Day...
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Don't worry Coops, if quali was anything you'll go by, at least 50% of the screen time will be taken up by celebrities, most of which I've never heard of.
andrew

Post by andrew »

This is the first time since the Spanish GP that nobody has been given a grid penalty. I'm slightly suprised Palmer did not get a grid drop for blatantly blocking button in q1, although he did attempt to move out the way which would have helped.
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Best thing about this race so far is it's before the clock change this year, so unlike last year doesn't clash with the Strictly results show! Hurrah!
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

I do like it when a race goes like this, the strategies not turning out as anyone had widely predicted. I enjoy it flying in the face of the predictable. Ted Kravitz-style F1-as-a-mathematical-equation.
Bobby Doorknobs

Carlos Sainz the Younger is now running in fifth place. Interesting things can happen.

...and Kimi's doing a Mansell.
#FreeGonzo
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

Simtek wrote:Carlos Sainz the Younger is now running in fifth place. Interesting things can happen.

Unrejectification?
Henrique

Post by Henrique »

One more retirement and Sauber scores! :D
Bobby Doorknobs

Aislabie wrote:
Simtek wrote:Carlos Sainz the Younger is now running in fifth place. Interesting things can happen.

Unrejectification?

#FreeGonzo
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

Henrique wrote:One more retirement and Sauber scores! :D

And some creative braking from Massa very nearly led to two!
Henrique

Post by Henrique »

Haas scores at their home race :dance:
mario

Post by mario »

Well, it was a 6th in the end after a pretty feisty drive by Alonso (he was enjoying himself at the end there, wasn't he?). Incidentally, thinking about Kimi, given that he was going in reverse down the pitlane there, might he potentially be penalised for that?

Aislabie wrote:

Of course, the flip side of that would have been the fact that Manor would have then lost out to Sauber in the WCC, and in turn seen their income slide quite substantially (because, on countback, Sauber have finished in 12th three times whilst Manor's next best result is 13th place).
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
went

Post by went »

Not all is lost- Alonso is under investigation so he might lose the 5th place to Sainz. Otherwise, Carlos still needs one more 6th place and he's done.

Great stuff from Nando in the last few laps though.
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

mario wrote:

Well, it was a 6th in the end after a pretty feisty drive by Alonso (he was enjoying himself at the end there, wasn't he?). Incidentally, thinking about Kimi, given that he was going in reverse down the pitlane there, might he potentially be penalised for that?

Aislabie wrote:

Of course, the flip side of that would have been the fact that Manor would have then lost out to Sauber in the WCC, and in turn seen their income slide quite substantially (because, on countback, Sauber have finished in 12th three times whilst Manor's next best result is 13th place).

Regarding Kimi, he technically didn't reverse, since on the rules, it talks about reversing the car whilst having the power on, which Kimi hadn't.

andrew

Post by andrew »

I recon Alonso will get a penalty for that, although I don't think he should personally.
Bobby Doorknobs

Where would we be without Dan Ricciardo? :D
#FreeGonzo
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

IIDOTR for Butler drinking Red Bull from Ricky's shoe.

AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

And your official driver of the day is...........Max Verstappen.

:facepalm:

CoopsII wrote:

CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Barbazza wrote:Don't worry Coops, if quali was anything you'll go by, at least 50% of the screen time will be taken up by celebrities, most of which I've never heard of.

That's probably the future of F1 coverage.
Just For One Day...
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

AustralianStig wrote:And your official driver of the day is...........Max Verstappen.

Nowadays any second-rate performance wins DOTD with Rio gone.

Having the voting close before the race is even over is even sillier than having a 'vote' (which excluded Rio Haryanto, one of the drivers who was perfectly eligible to win the vote) in the first place. It's like asking F1Fanatic users to vote for a driver of the day and it not be Hamilton...
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

AustralianStig wrote:And your official driver of the day is...........Max Verstappen.

I confidently predicted that this would happen after he retired during the race. Perhaps it's decided by Sky's F1 team, given that they were still raving on about how great he was while desperately finding any possible way to absolve him of any blame for either the late pit stop decision (laughably saying it must be the mechanics fault) or the place he parked up. Both Max and Sky were utter crap again this weekend,

(Incidentally, I wouldn't be surprised if Max broke the car by over-revving in haste at the pit stop either, not that anyone else seems to have come up with that theory)