The 2016 Singapore Grand Prix Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Ataxia
Not Important

The 2016 Singapore Grand Prix Thread

Post by Ataxia »

...or Singa-pour, if reports are to be believed.

Race Notes:

- Nico Rosberg will reach 200 Grands Prix this weekend, as will Scuderia Toro Rosso.
- Haas confirm that they have their final 2016 update planned for this race.
- Will there be any driver confirmations for next year this weekend? Who even knows?
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Bobby Doorknobs

Re: The 2016 Singapore Grand Prix Thread

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Ataxia wrote:- Will there be any driver confirmations for next year this weekend? Who even knows?

"Not me", says Sergio.
#FreeGonzo
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

It's also Marcus Ericsson's 50th race.
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Ataxia wrote:...or Singa-pour, if reports are to be believed.

We had some rain on Tuesday night and I still went out in the car so I hope the F1 drivers do the same...
Just For One Day...
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

CoopsII wrote:
Ataxia wrote:...or Singa-pour, if reports are to be believed.

We had some rain on Tuesday night and I still went out in the car so I hope the F1 drivers do the same...

Ah, but is this your car? ;)

Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Grosjean with a session-ending issue shortly after the start of Practice 1, and then a problem with the car which caused a session-ending crash into the barrier in Practice 2. It's a good thing he's raced at this track before, because he's had next-to-no driving on the track this weekend.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
mario

Post by mario »

Rob Dylan wrote:Grosjean with a session-ending issue shortly after the start of Practice 1, and then a problem with the car which caused a session-ending crash into the barrier in Practice 2. It's a good thing he's raced at this track before, because he's had next-to-no driving on the track this weekend.

It doesn't seem to be doing much for his confidence though - he sounded pretty downbeat after his problems in those sessions, as well as being pretty pessimistic about the overall performance of the car.

Whilst he started out quite strongly at the start of the year, as Haas have slipped back as their development focus has shifted ever more towards 2017, Grosjean has become more frustrated and error prone as the season has worn on. The first session might not have been his fault, but I get the feeling that this is not going to be a particularly strong weekend for Grosjean given how he seems to have let those issues affect his mental state.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Bet he didn't pay the entrance fee. Bernie had best get on that.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

I don't care about ROTR, Vettel's anti-roll bar is already Reject of the Weekend for costing me €15. :facepalm:
Manager of Calsonic Team Impul in Formula E, K-Apex in PES & Eurasian F3 and Mitsuoka in Alt-F1 '76.
My career mode thread - 1988: AGS (19pts, 9th) // 1989: Arrows (25pts, 8th, 1 win!)
You'll never DNF if you always DNPQ. #RollSafe
hootie

Post by hootie »

can anyone verify this?

rosberg's lap time 1.42.58 is the fastest ever lap time in the Singapore GP history
(not under race condition)

I was scrolling through the previous race weekends from 2008. no car had ever broken the 1.43 barrier yet. these 2016 V6 cars are way way faster than the old V8s

hootie
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Rosberg is hella quick this weekend. Di Resta being pretty honest on the Sky front, saying that Hamilton has just failed to get into the rhythm in the last two days. But that was probably the pole lap of Nico's career so far.

Also, bad luck for Vettel. Will be interesting to see if he can work his way through the pack, or if he gets stuck behind a train of Renaults and Haases. If there's one track other than Monaco you don't want a terrible qualifying session at, it's here.

Disappointed in McLaren's pace, tbh. Thought they would be much faster.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

hootie wrote:can anyone verify this?

rosberg's lap time 1.42.58 is the fastest ever lap time in the Singapore GP history

I was scrolling through the previous race weekends from 2008. no car had ever broken the 1.43 barrier yet. these 2016 V6 cars are way way faster than the old V8s

hootie

That's completely true, and shouldn't be that surprising. The new engines, coupled with all the energy recovery units that surround it, give out far more power than the old V8s.

It's almost as if car performance wasn't linked to the number of cylinders and decibels produced by the engine.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Bobby Doorknobs

tommykl wrote:

hootie

That's completely true, and shouldn't be that surprising. The new engines, coupled with all the energy recovery units that surround it, give out far more power than the old V8s.

It's almost as if car performance wasn't linked to the number of cylinders and decibels produced by the engine.

It's also worth noting that the removal of the 'Singapore Sling' chicane has considerably brought down lap times by as much as three seconds since 2013, although the fact that these cars are challenging (unofficial) lap records is little surprise: Didn't Hamilton come within a fraction of the lap record in Spielberg?

And yes, the V6s are superior to the V8s in a number of ways; the main loss of lap time in these cars compared to their V8 era predecessors is because of aero restrictions that were brought in with the new power units in 2014.
#FreeGonzo
Bobby Doorknobs

Looks like Verstappen's been hanging around with Yakov Smirnoff today: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... qualifying
#FreeGonzo
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Great opportunity for Kvyat to book himself a place in the car next year now.
Just For One Day...
mario

Post by mario »

Simtek wrote:
tommykl wrote:

hootie

It's also worth noting that the removal of the 'Singapore Sling' chicane has considerably brought down lap times by as much as three seconds since 2013, although the fact that these cars are challenging (unofficial) lap records is little surprise: Didn't Hamilton come within a fraction of the lap record in Spielberg?

And yes, the V6s are superior to the V8s in a number of ways; the main loss of lap time in these cars compared to their V8 era predecessors is because of aero restrictions that were brought in with the new power units in 2014.

Yes, you are indeed correct - Hamilton set the fastest lap of the race in the Austrian GP with a 1m08.41s lap time, which was a fraction off the all time record that Schumacher set in 2003 (1m08.34s). That is more impressive in some ways given that the removal of refuelling would work heavily against the current generation of cars (and it is the times set in race trim which define the lap records).

Simtek is right to note that Rosberg's pole lap is certainly impressive, but cannot be quite so easily compared to previous years due to the frequent modifications to the track over the year - even the minor amendments they made last year have had a noticeable effect.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Anyone else think Sainz can unrejectify himself today?
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

Oh man Hulkenberg. Never seen that in a long time.
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

WHATISTHATMARSHALDOING
Williams in the last few years http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

Orange and black flag for Carlos.
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

Love the battle between the STR and RBR
Henrique

Post by Henrique »

Two more top 11 retirements and Haas will score.
lance_rambert

Post by lance_rambert »

Ferrari might have just gift wrapped yet another podium to Hamilton. It's like they're trying to purposely keep Rosberg from taking the championship lead back.

...I suck at mental math :facepalm: , apparently because Nico could still take the lead back even with Hamilton 3rd.
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

Great race.
Henrique

Post by Henrique »

One more point for Renault.
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Well that was the first race I'd seen live all the way through since Hungary, so I can't tell how good it was compared to my complete under-exposure to watching F1 in the last two months. But that was definitely a good race: a genuine fight for the lead; a change in the championship lead; proper fights between drivers on-track (Kvyat and Verstappen); a sprinkling of jeopardy and issues up and down the grid. The only thing that might have improved it was the much-promised rain. But then again, hell will sooner freeze than for it to rain in Singapore during the race...
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

It was quite decent. A proper first-lap crash that we haven't seen in a few races, Verstappen getting a taste of his own medicine, Hamilton struggling (yes, he was struggling compared to Rosberg) and Räikkönen being relevant again.

Oh, and the meatball flag was actually used for once!
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

A couple more laps and Ricciardo would've nailed him...
Just For One Day...
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

CoopsII wrote:A couple more laps and Ricciardo would've nailed him...

Unless Rosberg had backed off knowing it was the last lap, I'm pretty sure Ricciardo would've had him on the main straight going into Turn 1 if there was one more lap.
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Ricciardo's advantage was lessening as he used up his tyres, and by the end of the race his advantage was only around a second a lap. On the final lap he caught up considerably, to the point where he was right behind Rosberg as they went over the finish line, so I could say Nico probably slowed down a little to get the car over the line.
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

Great race, really enjoyed it.
But hearing that drivers had to look after their brakes from the start of the race ( and risk catastrophic failure if things didnt work out, I assume) when there's enough engineering knowledge to ensure every driver has plenty of brake capacity...annoys me.
Its one thing to get a performance advantage by going skinny on fuel ( and hoping for an SC , or a slow race) with the risk of running dry... it's another thing to go marginal on brake capacity.
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...