Passing in pit-lane entry under safety car

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
leywso

Passing in pit-lane entry under safety car

Post by leywso »

I'm not sure if this was brought up in commentary or analysis, but...

When Vettel pounced past Hulkenberg and one other car on the pit entry earlier, this was under safety car conditions. If so, do the same rules over no overtaking apply within the pit entry? I honestly don't know the answer to this one so would be interested to know if anyone knows!

(I'm aware that Hulkenberg was penalised for being deliberately slow, so there were mitigating circumstances here.)
Meatwad

Re: Passing in pit-lane entry under safety car

Post by Meatwad »

I would be surprised if it wasn't against the rules. Kovalainen was penalized a few years ago for overtaking under safety car, even though he was entering the pitlane (I think it was to retire the car) and the other driver was still on the track. Vettel clearly overtook two cars while the Kovalainen case was debatable.
girry

Post by girry »

Safety car rules state that "whilst in the pit entry, pit lane or pit exit a driver may overtake another car which is also in one of these three areas"
when you're dead people start listening
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

giraurd wrote:Safety car rules state that "whilst in the pit entry, pit lane or pit exit a driver may overtake another car which is also in one of these three areas"

Also, if I recall corrrectly, in addition to that, you are allowed to pass a car ahead during a SC period if it is driving unduly slow, so Vettel also had that going for him.
mario

Post by mario »

Meatwad wrote:I would be surprised if it wasn't against the rules. Kovalainen was penalized a few years ago for overtaking under safety car, even though he was entering the pitlane (I think it was to retire the car) and the other driver was still on the track. Vettel clearly overtook two cars while the Kovalainen case was debatable.

In the case of Kovalainen, you are technically permitted to pass another car, and can even pass the safety car itself, whilst you are driving along the pit entry lane. However, you can only do that once you have passed the first safety car line, which I suspect is the section of the clause that Kovalainen might have fallen foul of.

As giraud notes, there is however an exemption in the regulations that permits passing in the pit entry, pit lane or pit exit, though I cannot think of a recent example where somebody did take advantage of the first part of that clause. If Vettel knew about that rule, then it was a well executed move and I can see why Brundle was so impressed with his quick thinking.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

I may be wrong, but I think that what made it legal was the fact that they'd not lined up behind the safety car at that point, so it was treated the same as Hamilton doing hot-laps to make up a pit stop per lap on the rest of the field.

Or that might have had nothing to do with it, I don't know.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

I do believe that Vettel to be the sort to study the rulebook intently in order to gain an advantage. Not surprised to here that the rules back up his actions.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy