Haas F1 Team Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Backmarker

Re: Haas planning to enter F1 in 2016

Post by Backmarker »

On the BBC Steiner said that the only things the team had to build for itself were the chassis and the aero kit (which will all be done by Dallara anyway). While customer cars are banned, this is the most sensible solution for a start-up team, imo.

Hopefully it will be Marciello in one of the seats.
The Iceman Waiteth
What if Kimi Räikkönen hadn't got his chance in 2001?
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

I'm not aghast so much as I as am surprised. I was under the impression that Ferrari would do the engine, gearbox, and diff, and maybe the rear suspension. This is basically a customer car. But I suppose that's how things are going to have to be if teams don't want to fold after 3 years.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Backmarker wrote:While customer cars are banned, this is the most sensible solution for a start-up team, imo.

Wallio wrote:This is basically a customer car. But I suppose that's how things are going to have to be if teams don't want to fold after 3 years.

The sad thing is, it doesn't have to be this way. What do teams like Manor and maybe even Sauber, or Force India do when Haas turn up with a quasi-Ferrari and get beaten immediately? The rules previously put an end to Toro Rosso and Super Aguri using year old customer cars and whilst this isn't history repeating itself, it isn't the logical answer to cutting costs. It reaffirms the status quo, stifles further ingenuity and innovation, and sets an unfortunate precedent for the future.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
tumbano

Post by tumbano »

Just found these photos posted by a spanish F1 group on fb. What car do you think is that?

Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

tumbano wrote:Just found these photos posted by a spanish F1 group on fb. What car do you think is that?

I'm quite positive that's the Marussia MR02:
#FreeGonzo
tumbano

Post by tumbano »

I thought it too...

Anyway, it comes from their twitter account:

https://twitter.com/Haas_Automation/sta ... 7160343552
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Simtek wrote:I'm quite positive that's the Marussia MR02

And you'd be right. Haas bought up most of the old Marussia kit in the auction.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

This reminds me of that Super Aguri in Virgin/Marussia livery some years ago.
pasta_maldonado wrote:The stewards have recommended that Alan Jones learns to drive.
Bobby Doorknobs

pi314159 wrote:This reminds me of that Super Aguri in Virgin/Marussia livery some years ago.

And what a car that was! :D
#FreeGonzo
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

I believe this is just an artist's impression, but if Haas go for this livery I'll be very happy:

https://twitter.com/circuitamericas/sta ... 41?lang=en

And then no doubt Renault will end up running the same colour scheme...
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
tBone

Post by tBone »

AustralianStig wrote:I believe this is just an artist's impression, but if Haas go for this livery I'll be very happy:

That is an artist's impression by Camille de Bastiani. He also did some impressions for the Renault, indeed also in a yellow and black livery.

It was stated that Haas is going to use yellow, right? That's my favourite colour for racing cars and I'm expecting something nice from them!
YOUR
LOGO

Here
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

tBone wrote:
AustralianStig wrote:I believe this is just an artist's impression, but if Haas go for this livery I'll be very happy:

That is an artist's impression by Camille de Bastiani. He also did some impressions for the Renault, indeed also in a yellow and black livery.

It was stated that Haas is going to use yellow, right? That's my favourite colour for racing cars and I'm expecting something nice from them!

I remember posting a link somewhere stating that Haas wants to do a yellow livery so they can stand out from the rest of the field.
Williams in the last few years http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

All this means, sit back and watch them go for a completely unique red and white, with maybe a hint of blue.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Again, are USA national racing colours too much to ask? Or even the inverted Shelby Blue/White (although Shelby American would never allow it).

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Benson & Hedges Jordan reborn.

Me likey.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
mario

Post by mario »

tBone wrote:

There hasn't been a formal confirmation of Haas's livery for 2016, though Haas has hinted that yellow is one possible option, most likely matched in shade to the background of Ferrari's logo in order to create a visual link between the two teams.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

FWIW, Kurt Busch's NASCAR, which this past year was funded 100% by Haas, ran a Black, Red, and White scheme.

Waris

Post by Waris »

I was on board with Haas bringing back yellow, but now that Renault are a constructor again it seems they'll probably also go with yellow and black. In that case I hope either Renault put some more black on it, or Manor paint their car (mostly) black again, because otherwise it would reduce the variety a little bit.
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Regardless of the livery, the Haas cars will definitely be noticeable next year. One will consistently be fighting for points, whilst the other will be trundling/crashing around in the lower midfield, on its way to a second ROTY award. :D
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

I'm sure we all said that about Felipe Massa in 2004...
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

dinizintheoven wrote:I'm sure we all said that about Felipe Massa in 2004...

Which Formula 1 champ will be making a comeback only to be beaten by Gutierrez in 2017 then?
I like the way Snrub thinks!
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

FullMetalJack wrote:

Which Formula 1 champ will be making a comeback only to be beaten by Gutierrez in 2017 then?

Mansell still hasn't officially retired, has he?
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

FullMetalJack wrote:

The same one as last time...

...in his dreams.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

And Haas appear to be the first to pass the mandatory FIA crash tests. So, hopefully, they should be all set for the first test next month!
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Bobby Doorknobs

Ataxia wrote:And Haas appear to be the first to pass the mandatory FIA crash tests. So, hopefully, they should be all set for the first test next month!

Hi, I'm interested in getting an Ataxia+ subscription. Where can I find details on payment for this service?
#FreeGonzo
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Simtek wrote:
Ataxia wrote:And Haas appear to be the first to pass the mandatory FIA crash tests. So, hopefully, they should be all set for the first test next month!

Hi, I'm interested in getting an Ataxia+ subscription. Where can I find details on payment for this service?

You will regret the + part, believe me.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

I'll admit, I was half-expecting Ferrari and Haas to get the crash-test certification in the same test...
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Simtek wrote:

Just give me your card details and, erm...I'll make sure you get it.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Fantastic news. Dare I say it? "It's Happening!"

Now put some bathplugging merch up. I just received my Christmas bonus.

Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

File this under "D" for "Don't Drink the Koo-Aid" but Haas has announced his NASCAR team is switching to Ford for 2017.

Ok Wallio so what?

Well this has lead to a very wild rumor popping up on a few NASCAR sites. That this Ford switch is the precursor to Ford re-entering F1 with Haas in 2018 or 2019 with an engine based (loosely I'd assume) off of there GTE lump and branded an Ecoboost.

I wouldn't hold my breathe, but it would be cool.....

Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

It's not likely considering the close ties between Haas and Ferrari. (and Ferrari still has close ties with Fiat, and Fiat is the owner of Chrysler, so i doubt they'll go with Ford)

On the other hand, i most certainly would welcome Ford back in the sport. It's not unlikely that Ford could receive a sort of 'historical payment', like Renault does, if they start their own team (or take over another team like Force India or Manor), and that might be enough to convince them.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Ford recovered from near death by offloading all its high-end subsidiaries. I don't see a fiscally responsible iteration of the company, which had to conduct a fire-sale of everything but its core business to stay afloat, suddenly turn around and start pouring cash into a euro-centric promotional venture - especially given it will take a nine figure sum per annum to have any chance of being competitive.

They have pulled funding from their European-based WRC effort and Australian-based V8SC effort in recent years. Entering F1 isn't going to help Ford shift more Fiestas. The only premium brand left in their roster is Lincoln, and F1 as a marketing tool is so far off the target demographic for said brand, it would be an utterly pointless investment.

I'm sure the thought of having Kimi Raikkonen as the third-highest paid employee of the Ford Motor Company will do enough to scare them away.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
MorbidelliObese

Post by MorbidelliObese »

An American team run by a bloke called Haas starting out with a customer engine before switching to a works Ford V6 turbo?

Would be cool but as you say, probably needs to be filed under "believe it when we see it"
Darling fascist bully boy, give me some more money you bastard. May the seed of your loin be fruitful in the belly of your woman.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

MorbidelliObese wrote:An American team run by a bloke called Haas starting out with a customer engine before switching to a works Ford V6 turbo?

Would be cool but as you say, probably needs to be filed under "believe it when we see it"

What you did there. I see it.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

tommykl wrote:
MorbidelliObese wrote:An American team run by a bloke called Haas starting out with a customer engine before switching to a works Ford V6 turbo?

What you did there. I see it.

It's Hart to believe.
CoopsII

****Haas HAVE entered F1 in 2016!****

Post by CoopsII »

Time to change the thread title methinks!
Just For One Day...
Bobby Doorknobs

Re: ****Haas HAVE entered F1 in 2016!****

CoopsII wrote:Time to change the thread title methinks!

Now now. Change the thread title and suddenly Gene is arrested on charges of fraud and the team falls into financial ruin.

Give it until Melbourne free practice ;)
#FreeGonzo
Row Man Gross-Gene

Re: Haas F1 Team Thread

Post by Row Man Gross-Gene »

It's been a while since this thread was updated, so I want to mention Haas' fabulous 6th place finish in Australia. Even given the high finish, I expect their main goal over at least the next few races will still be just bringing the cars home in one piece.

And here's hoping that Grosjean made a sideways move rather than a big step down as was initially thought by some. I really hope he's firmly in line for Kimi's seat when the time comes.
It's just unbelievable...that Formula 1 could be such a ridiculous melange of idiots.

-Jamie McGregor

Check out my colo(u)ring pages website: http://sites.google.com/site/carcoloringpages/
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

A side note: they missed a huge opportunity with the livery:

Otherwise, and on a far more important note, I'm very impressed with how this team was put together. It's basically a Dallara-Ferrari outfit wrapped in an American flag; although Dallara have never particularly shone in F1, it's a good way to make sure that you get a car that will come home in one piece before you try to develop something a little more fancy
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Row Man Gross-Gene wrote:It's been a while since this thread was updated, so I want to mention Haas' fabulous 6th place finish in Australia. Even given the high finish, I expect their main goal over at least the next few races will still be just bringing the cars home in one piece.

And here's hoping that Grosjean made a sideways move rather than a big step down as was initially thought by some. I really hope he's firmly in line for Kimi's seat when the time comes.

In the long run he probably went backwards. But right now Haas is certainly a happier place than Renault. But yeah, he is lining up that Ferrari seat, that is for sure. Whether they will take him or not is another matter.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.