Rantbox

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Aguaman

Re: Rantbox

Post by Aguaman »

CoopsII wrote:Did you hate that silly Hamilton/Rosberg as Senna/Prost thing? Well, get ready for the Hamilton/Vettel as Senna/Mansell thing which Vettel has brought to life in the quotes in this link...

http://www.formula1.com/content/fom-website/en/latest/headlines/2015/10/vettel--senna-mansell-style-rivalry-with-hamilton-would-be-fun.html

I don't blame Vettel, it's just him thinking aloud, but I wonder if he realises how comments like that are simply fuel for lazy journalists up and down the paddock.

Or maybe he does wants to cause chaos. That Seb
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

CoopsII wrote:Did you hate that silly Hamilton/Rosberg as Senna/Prost thing? Well, get ready for the Hamilton/Vettel as Senna/Mansell thing which Vettel has brought to life in the quotes in this link...

http://www.formula1.com/content/fom-website/en/latest/headlines/2015/10/vettel--senna-mansell-style-rivalry-with-hamilton-would-be-fun.html

I don't blame Vettel, it's just him thinking aloud, but I wonder if he realises how comments like that are simply fuel for lazy journalists up and down the paddock.

The most important thing in that exercise was knowing to which driver Vettel was comparing himself to. He must have at least thought about it when he came up with that. Is it Mansell? Everyone knows that Hamilton sees himself as his hero Senna. If it is indeed Mansell, it would be awesome if Vettel showed up at the next GP sporting a mustache and upped his whining antics before, during and after the race.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

DanielPT wrote:The most important thing in that exercise was knowing to which driver Vettel was comparing himself to. He must have at least thought about it when he came up with that. Is it Mansell? Everyone knows that Hamilton sees himself as his hero Senna. If it is indeed Mansell, it would be awesome if Vettel showed up at the next GP sporting a mustache and upped his whining antics before, during and after the race.

I think Vettel already whines enough when he doesn't get his way, thank you very much :S So in that sense he's got a little essence of Nigel in him.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Rob Dylan wrote:I think Vettel already whines enough when he doesn't get his way, thank you very much :S So in that sense he's got a little essence of Nigel in him.

My rose tinted glasses say that whining enough is not enough in the Mansell magnitude scale. This famous scale says that the level of destruction Vettel causes is only 5.5 in the Mansell scale. You will need 9.0 or greater to be Mansell.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

I wonder if this travesty of drivers being compared to drivers of the past is a feature of the modern age, a lack of imagination somewhat akin to Hollywood rebooting every moderately successful movie made. It almost feels like an unfair and inaccurate admission that the current top drivers aren't quite in the same league as those from the past. And what's with the obsession with those drivers from the late 80s anyway? Is that a reflection of the average age of the journo's reporting this guff?
Just For One Day...
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

CoopsII wrote:I wonder if this travesty of drivers being compared to drivers of the past is a feature of the modern age, a lack of imagination somewhat akin to Hollywood rebooting every moderately successful movie made. It almost feels like an unfair and inaccurate admission that the current top drivers aren't quite in the same league as those from the past. And what's with the obsession with those drivers from the late 80s anyway? Is that a reflection of the average age of the journo's reporting this guff?

I am guessing that it is part of a certain age of revivalism that we are going through. As for the obsession with those drivers from the late 80s, I am guessing that it is perceived as an age of multiple greats and the last one before this that we live in so still are the benchmark for this day. Imagine in 10 years you would people say that this driver is the new Vettel or the new Hamilton and "remember those days where they fought toe to toe for championships? Those were the days blah blah blah" type of stuff.
mario

Post by mario »

CoopsII wrote:I wonder if this travesty of drivers being compared to drivers of the past is a feature of the modern age, a lack of imagination somewhat akin to Hollywood rebooting every moderately successful movie made. It almost feels like an unfair and inaccurate admission that the current top drivers aren't quite in the same league as those from the past. And what's with the obsession with those drivers from the late 80s anyway? Is that a reflection of the average age of the journo's reporting this guff?

It is certainly the case that the vast majority of those who are watching the sport right now are in their 40's, so most of them would have been growing up with the drivers of the late 1980's as their first taste of the sport. I would therefore not be surprised if the journalists are behaving similarly and are therefore using the drivers of the late 1980's as their baseline.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

so Vettel see's himself as Mansell now.... ummmm okay.....
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

WeirdKerr wrote:

That's why Vettel chose number 5.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

This wrote:
WeirdKerr wrote:

So not because that was Schumi's number in 1994 then?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

dr-baker wrote:
This wrote:
WeirdKerr wrote:

So not because that was Schumi's number in 1994 then?
So he wants to be 'Nigel Schumacher'? Oh dear.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

This wrote:
WeirdKerr wrote:so Vettel see's himself as Mansell now.... ummmm okay.....

I can't tell if you're joking or being serious - I'm guessing the former, when in fact the latter is quite possibly an influence. I do recall him a few years back referring to his first world title winning machine as "Red Five". You can see why;

I think he's taking this "I'm the next Mansell" thing really seriously. Il Nuovo Rosso Cinque :shock:
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Biscione wrote:
This wrote:
WeirdKerr wrote:so Vettel see's himself as Mansell now.... ummmm okay.....

I can't tell if you're joking or being serious - I'm guessing the former, when in fact the latter is quite possibly an influence. I do recall him a few years back referring to his first world title winning machine as "Red Five". You can see why;

I think he's taking this "I'm the next Mansell" thing really seriously. Il Nuovo Rosso Cinque :shock:

Well, it's certainly something new. Getting a bit tired of most drivers worshipping at the altar of the Church of Senna, led by a certain Lewis H. from Hertfordshire...
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

tommykl wrote:Well, it's certainly something new. Getting a bit tired of most drivers worshipping at the altar of the Church of Senna, led by a certain Lewis H. from Hertfordshire...

That's LORD Senna to you
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Rob Dylan wrote:
tommykl wrote:Well, it's certainly something new. Getting a bit tired of most drivers worshipping at the altar of the Church of Senna, led by a certain Lewis H. from Hertfordshire...

That's LORD Senna to you

*ahem* His Majesty the King Ayrton Senna da Silva *ahem*

This message was brought to you by Church of Senna, the religious organisation for higher states of spiritual awareness and ability. Please make your payment of R$750,000 before you exit.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Biscione wrote:This message was brought to you by Church of Senna.

Pastor Maldonado has officiated there before now.

Yes, I'm doing the Pastor-as-religious-leader thing once again.
Just For One Day...
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Good point. The only driver I can ever remember openly being more of a Prost fan rather than Senna before this was Mark Webber. It's nice that Vettel chose someone different too.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

FullMetalJack wrote:

Good point. The only driver I can ever remember openly being more of a Prost fan rather than Senna before this was Mark Webber. It's nice that Vettel chose someone different too.

That being said is well known what a complete disgrace it is for nobody to declare their love for Pierre-Henri Raphanel.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Speaking of glorifying the late-1980s, we are all guilty of doing the same, even if it is for completely different reasons. The rejects of those days exemplify the lack of professionalism that embodies the very spirit of this site. Say what you want about Manor, and as much as I like them, they may be a laughing stock to some, but they are model professionals compared to the likes of Osella, Coloni and Eurobrun.

DanielPT wrote:That being said is well known what a complete disgrace it is for nobody to declare their love for Pierre-Henri Raphanel.

That's because i'm loyal to Christian Danner.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

FullMetalJack wrote:
DanielPT wrote:That being said is well known what a complete disgrace it is for nobody to declare their love for Pierre-Henri Raphanel.

Would it be too predictable at this point if I mention Giovanna Amati? Because the first driver I was genuinely a fan of was her replacement..
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

dr-baker wrote:
FullMetalJack wrote:

Would it be too predictable at this point if I mention Giovanna Amati? Because the first driver I was genuinely a fan of was her replacement..

Please. It's all about that Patrick Nève.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

mario

Post by mario »

FullMetalJack wrote:

Button has also spoken about how he has always been a Prost fan and found him to be a positive influence on him when he was a young driver. Equally, it could be said that Kimi has tended to draw a comparison between himself and Hunt (for example, by using a helmet styled on Hunt's on special occasions).
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

mario wrote:
FullMetalJack wrote:

Button has also spoken about how he has always been a Prost fan and found him to be a positive influence on him when he was a young driver. Equally, it could be said that Kimi has tended to draw a comparison between himself and Hunt (for example, by using a helmet styled on Hunt's on special occasions).

Well, there's plenty of similarities between Kimi and James Hunt off the track at least...
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

mario wrote:
FullMetalJack wrote:

Button's debut in an F1 test was for the Prost F1 team, if I remember correctly, back in 1999, prior to his Williams shootout test.
MCard LOLA
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

My gripe with drivers comparing themselves to other past champions, is that with the exception of Kimi, who went so far as to enter a rallye as James Hunt once, no driver goes beyond Prost, Senna, or Mansell. Where's the love for Fangio? Or Schumi? or even Lauda?

Why are drivers from the 80's so revered?
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Wallio wrote:My gripe with drivers comparing themselves to other past champions, is that with the exception of Kimi, who went so far as to enter a rallye as James Hunt once, no driver goes beyond Prost, Senna, or Mansell. Where's the love for Fangio? Or Schumi? or even Lauda?

Why are drivers from the 80's so revered?

I think it's because F1 had only really become mass-broadcasted at this period of time across the world, and tons of "iconic" Youtube clips of Senna wrestling a manual-gearbox McLaren around Monaco are freely available. Furthermore, there's the films that have been released in the last few years; Rush glamourised James Hunt's lifestyle at the time, whilst Senna painted a, well, very pro-Senna picture. And then there's the rivalries; Prost exists as a calculating, percentage-playing antithesis to Senna's exuberance in the eyes of many, and Mansell joins that time period as the apple of the British media's eye at that point in time.

A lot of people at this current time have experienced Schumacher at this point in time first-hand, and so his exploits in F1 are less glamourous since rose-tinted glasses don't usually extend to the 1990s. That's not to say that his time in F1 won't ever be as revered as Senna/Prost/Mansell, but I think he was involved too recently. For Lauda, I'm not sure; I think perhaps the names of Hunt and Prost overshadow his own, but with Rush being released, I think Lauda's being talked about a lot more. I think the likes of Fangio, Clark, Hill, and other icons from that time perhaps came a bit too early; we don't really have any real video footage of them racing or much else to go on. Jackie Stewart's book perhaps coloured a lot in of what it was like to race in those times, but again, it's hard to be a modern-day icon when no real footage of your racing exploits exist in the mainstream media.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

Just throwing this in the mix but Jackie Stewart's icon was Fangio & Gilles icon was Ronnie Peterson.
Coming January 2019 a new F1 book revisiting 1994.

Pre order it here; www.performancepublishing.co.uk/1994-th ... eason.html

The book's website; www.1994f1.com/
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

And i've heared almost half of the current field saying Schumacher was one of their idols.

The only thing about the eighties is that there were multiple idols and were succesful for a whole decade or even more. In the nineties/early nillies only Schumacher was consistently succesful, so he's the only one people reference themselves to from that era. In the eighties/early nineties you had Prost, Senna, Mansell, Piquet. In the early years also Rosberg and Lauda. And locally there was Boutsen, though anonymous to international standards, did really wonders for the local interest in F1 and motorsport in general.
And everything before the eighties didn't have enough coverage to appeal to the masses. If they make a great movie about Fangio or Clark, i'm sure people will admire them more. Sure, there are lots of stories and pictures, but people can't really vision things properly. The only good reference we have is the Grand Prix movie, but that centers mostly around fictional characters.
I'm sure some drivers looked up to the drivers before the first world war at some point, but considering the lack of media coverage, it was only a select few.
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

ibsey wrote:Just throwing this in the mix but Jackie Stewart's icon was Fangio & Gilles icon was Ronnie Peterson.

And Andretti cites Ascari as his idol.
#FreeGonzo
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

With the exception of 1993, the first few races in 1994 and until 2008 I mostly had a driver that I supported (Mansell between '87 and '92 then Coulthard when he came in during 1994) but since 2008 I have been a neutralish fan of the sport as none of the drivers have attracted me to follow them with the exception of maybe Kubica until his rally accident took him out the sport.... I need a driver to excite me None of the current crop do that.... or is it just this lift and coast form of "racing" that's causing me to question if I really want to watch the races any more
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

I guess the reason why most current F1 drivers cite 80's/90's drivers as there hero's because F1 was a damn sexy back then. I mean not only was the cars basically a driver seat strapped to a ridiculous powerful engine which when the weren't spitting out their drivers were spiting flames and deafening spectators.

But also the tracks were proper tracks, i.e. street circuits like detriot & Dallas being bumpy as hell. Even tracks like Spa & Mexico were so much more challenging then todays version. So F1 seemed like more of a physical effort back then (i.e. Mansell fainting after Dallas in 1984 or Senna after his first few races in 1984 etc). So you had to salute any driver that made it to the end of the GP back then.

Then there was the danger element....

Also I remember hearing drivers of recent years like Irvine, JV etc saying they don't how the drivers of the early 1980's had the balls to driver those cars flat out bearing in mind how dangerous they were, These comments were made immediately after Eddie & Jacques had driven those cars at the Goodwood FOS. So in additon to the above I guess it took a special kind of courage. Especially when you consider how drivers just got on with the job even after a terrible fatality.

I guess what I am trying to say is considering all of the above is drivers find F1 a different sport 'back in the day' in terms of. danger, competition, Physical effort. And therefore they secretly wonder whether they would have had what it took took to be as successful as their idols?
Coming January 2019 a new F1 book revisiting 1994.

Pre order it here; www.performancepublishing.co.uk/1994-th ... eason.html

The book's website; www.1994f1.com/
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

WeirdKerr wrote:or is it just this lift and coast form of "racing" that's causing me to question if I really want to watch the races any more

Yes, because fuel saving was totally never an integral part of racing before 2014...

MorbidelliObese

Post by MorbidelliObese »

tommykl wrote:
WeirdKerr wrote:or is it just this lift and coast form of "racing" that's causing me to question if I really want to watch the races any more

Yes, because fuel saving was totally never an integral part of racing before 2014...

I blame the radio broadcasts in part. Had they been open in the mid 80s you'd probably have people bitching about it then.

I say "in part" because there's other factors at play probably generational - for instance I've been having fun watching downloaded races from that era over the past few months, for me they're still as awesome as I remembered them as a child, but I wonder if those sort of races happened today you'd have like "waaaahhhh no overtaking waaahhhh no pitstops" while Paul Hembery petitions the FIA for Pirelli-shod Gerhard Berger to be disqualified from his 1986 Mexican GP win for having the temerity to win the race by dint of not making a pitstop (which is totally boring, apparently) before launching himself off the top of that big Jesus statue that was nearby the Jacarepagua track in a fit of despair that tyre changes were optional.

(I'm drunk rambling, sorry)
Darling fascist bully boy, give me some more money you bastard. May the seed of your loin be fruitful in the belly of your woman.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

MorbidelliObese wrote:(I'm drunk rambling, sorry)

Don't apologise, I've often thought we should have a Drunk Thread where people can go off at a tangent without censure or tut-tutting.
Just For One Day...
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

CoopsII wrote:

Don't apologise, I've often thought we should have a Drunk Thread where people can go off at a tangent without censure or tut-tutting.

Do people drink that much in this forum? :?:
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

tommykl wrote:

This so much. Urgh.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

DanielPT wrote:
CoopsII wrote:

Do people drink that much in this forum? :?:

There's lot of people from UK, Ireland, Australia, US, Belgium, Germany, Finland and Eastern Europe, of course they drink a lot :P
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Out of interest, should such a thread exist (and it should), who would be it be in memory of?
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Rob Dylan wrote:Out of interest, should such a thread exist (and it should), who would be it be in memory of?

James Hunt? Kimi Raikkonen? Johnnie Walker? Moet et Chandon?
MCard LOLA
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

dr-baker wrote:
Rob Dylan wrote:Out of interest, should such a thread exist (and it should), who would be it be in memory of?

James Hunt? Kimi Raikkonen? Johnnie Walker? Moet et Chandon?

Duncan Hamilton, of course.
#FreeGonzo