The _TCC Series Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Samster

Re: The _TCC Series Thread

Post by Samster »

East Londoner wrote:bathplug bathplug bathplug bathplug bathplug bathplug :(

No Motorbase for at least the first half of the BTCC season.

I genuinely thought Mat Jackson could challenge for the title this year. Not a chance now. :cry:

Seems for every good news from silly season this year we get a disappointment like this. Alex Martin's Detra team has been loaned out to Team Parker Racing in the meantime and James Cole has been confirmed in the 2nd Motorbase so Jack Clarke is out. :( Anyway that's the whole grid lineup confirmed unless the rumoured 2nd AMD car actually happens.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Samster wrote: Anyway that's the whole grid lineup confirmed unless the rumoured 2nd AMD car actually happens.

The second AMD car is indeed a reality. The former Rotek Audi is to be driven by none other than Nic Hamilton, who is of course Lewis's younger brother.

Reaction to this news on Twitter seems to be a three-wide divide between well-wishers, doubters (given that Nic's record in the Clio Cup series isn't brilliant by any means) and a bunch of absolutely salty journos, because this news wasn't supposed to be announced until next week. Tough luck for them then. :lol:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

The Infiniti jok...no, sorry, works outfit have revealed their main sponsor...

Oh dear. :lol:

To make matters worse, this car still hasn't turned a wheel in anger. The first time the Infinitis will run will be during free practice at Brands. They're gonna be duking it out with Depper, Belcher and the other backmarkers at best. I hope the Welch Protons are better this season.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Can't wait for the new season to start. Let's hope that it's another great contest for the title. I must admit is love the MG in Pirtek colours compared to the utterly awful scheme of last year. Sad that Mat Jackson won't be on the grid for a while because Motorbase had a brilliant 2nd half of last year. I hope Nic Hamilton can do well too
Samster

Post by Samster »

Brands Hatch this weekend. We are down to 27 cars for this weekend as despite insisting not too long ago that they would have both cars at Brands, Paras Racing will only be running Derek Palmer Jr, while Dan Welch broke his foot earlier this week meaning he is unable to race. :(

My championship predictions for the field, I've based Jackson, Cole and Hamilton's positions on them running full time.

1. Andrew Jordan
With Dynamics running another new car and WSR losing Turkington, I think this will be MG's best chance to win a drivers championship.

2. Gordon Shedden
Despite adapting to a new Civic, I'm predicting that the championship will be between Jordan and Shedden.

3. Colin Turkington
As amazing as their driver lineup is, I don't see BMR being ready to win a championship yet. Turkington and Plato will certainly win plenty of races.

4. Jason Plato
See Turkington but I think Plato will come out second best as I think Turks is the best driver on the grid at the moment.

5. Mat Jackson
Surely an outsider for the championship, if only Motorbase were actually running the full season. Now I'm fearing that missing the first part of the season might harm the team's form. Massive shame as Mat is easily the best driver without a championship title. :(

6. Sam Tordoff
Going out on a limb but I think Tordoff will be WSR's top driver. They are the opposite of BMR, they certainly have the car to win the championship but probably not the drivers.

7. Jack Goff
Should get his first win this season but championship contention will be just out of reach.

8. Rob Collard
Always hard to predict with Rod as one season he's up there winning the occasional race then the next he's nowhere. Will probably win at least one race but lack of consistency will again keep him well out of championship contention.

9. Aron Smith
Will most likely by upstaged by Turks and Plato, might win some more reverse grid races though.

10. Matt Neal
Depends on whether last season was the first of the decline of his form or just a blip, if the former then this is about where he'll end up.

11. Andy Priaulx
Might be a bit harsh but based on recent form elsewhere I don't think Andy is as good as he used to be. Therefore given he'll have to relearn most of the tracks after twelve seasons away I think he'll be the lowest of the WSRs though he might sneak a win later on in the season.

12. Adam Morgan
Might get another win or two but the depth of the field will keep him from the top ten overall.

13. Tom Ingram
Hope to see his first podium but I don't see any wins since Speedworks are still yet to prove they can win anything.

14. Rob Austin
I doubt Rob or the A4 will ever be consistent enough to finish any higher in the championship.

15. Jeff Smith
With their gentleman driver lineup and now aging cars, Eurotech will at best be a midfield team this season. Without Andrew at the team, Jeff will likely get enough attention from the team to allow him to be at least someway respectable and he's capable of contending for a reverse grid win. (Till he chokes it away).

16. Aiden Moffat
Aiden will have a much better car this season so nothing less than top tens are expected.

17. Dave Newsham
His sixth team in five seasons! Dave will have his usual midfield championship position with occasional top tens, assuming the Cruze is up to it.

18. Mike Bushell
My pick for the Jack Sears Trophy (this year contested by the rookies), surely his one off in 2013 doesn't make him ineligible? Should do about as well in the AMD Focus as Newsham did last season.

19. James Cole
I'm still yet to see anything from Cole that has been anything more than mediocrity and I'm amazed he keeps getting rides, hopefully with Motorbase though he can finally score his first top ten.

20. Hunter Abbott
Will probably be a bit closer to Rob this season but still nothing more than occasional top ten.

21. Dan Welch
I really hope the team's engines are better this year as their chassis is one of the best out there. Hopefully a return to his 2012-13 form?

22. Warren Scott
Will likely continue to waste a great car. Might score a few more top tens though.

23. Josh Cook
Sears trophy would be between him and Bushell if Josh had as strong a car. Should be good for minor points and might give Newsham a run for his money.

24. Martin Depper
See Warren Scott only Martin is an even worse driver in a lesser car. Might we see his first top ten? I'm not holding my breath.

25. Stewart Lines
I have no idea what Stewart has raced in before or how he performed but I doubt he'll do any better than Lea Wood did.

26. Alex Martin
As with Lines, I have no idea how good he is.

27. Kieran Gallagher
Kieran wasn't particularly good in his one off back in 2013 and I doubt Gilham's barmy army will be far from the back either.

28. Richard Hawken
All I know about Hawken is that he was linked to Thorney Motorsport back in their 2012 attempt. I don't see Paras/Infiniti doing anything despite their 'works' status but Hawken will probably be the better driver.

29. Simon Belcher
In my opinion, the weakest driver during 2014 and only won't be this year as I rate at least one of the below drivers as even worse.

30. Derek Palmer Jr.
Know nothing about him other than he's the son of the team principal. Certain backmarker.

31. Andy Wilmott
All I remember from Andy's 2013 one off in the Passat is that he got overtaken by an S2000 car driven by Liam Griffin of all people. Is only not last because Hamilton probably has a worse car.

32. Nicolas Hamilton
Has done nothing in his career so far but then neither have plenty of rookies that come into the series and he certainly won't be the last. I put him last as the S3 is probably the weakest car on the grid.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

In his first BTCC qualifying session for 12 and 1/2 years, Andy Priaulx only goes and sticks his BMW on pole. I'm predicting Priaulx to win race 1, Plato to win race 2, and Shedden to romp home in race 3.
Samster

Post by Samster »

East Londoner wrote:In his first BTCC qualifying session for 12 and 1/2 years, Andy Priaulx only goes and sticks his BMW on pole. I'm predicting Priaulx to win race 1, Plato to win race 2, and Shedden to romp home in race 3.

:shock: Consider me surprised, and also for BMR making up the rest of the top 4, and Jordan only making 10th.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Well it was a solid start to the new season and a good win for Rob Collard. Great to see another case of media talk be upsurped with Aron Smith getting the better of Turks and Plato. Sad for Andy P that the tires went off but watch out for him in race 2

I see that Shedden still has Neal in his back pocket. No points to Matt for ruining Sam Tordoff's race either. Could be a long season ahead for him. Depper beating Smith and nearly scoring a point as well I noticed
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

When it rains, it bathplug pours for Welch Motorsport. Why didn't they just go back to the TOCA engine this season? :(
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

East Londoner wrote:When it rains, it bathplug pours for Welch Motorsport. Why didn't they just go back to the TOCA engine this season? :(

I've seen individuals have bad luck, I've seen teams had bad luck but Dan Welch and Welch Motorsport seem to have made the combination of bad luck
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

East Londoner wrote:When it rains, it bathplug pours for Welch Motorsport. Why didn't they just go back to the TOCA engine this season? :(

They should've known after how horrifically bad last year was that staying with their own engines was the worst decision possible. Sad to say, but it's their own damn fault if they can't bring themselves to see that project as a complete waste of time and money.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Race 2 showed why we loved BTCC. Sheds also showed why he's a top driver winning in a Honda looking slightly inferior to the BMW or Volkswagen. So close for Priaulx while Turks looks like he's still adapting to the new car. Be interested to hear what caused Plato's retirement

I think we can safely assume we won't be seeing Eurotech on the podium this season
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

So a terrible final race of the day for no less than FIVE of the big names. Shedden had a misfire, Collard was spun out at Paddock Hill, Plato and Turks both had moments and Jordan suffered a puncture.

With all this, it means young Jack Goff is the joint leader of the driver's championship after Brands. He'll almost certainly become a race winner this season, the chap's done well today.

And finally, a shoutout to Simon Belcher, who scores his first BTCC points finish with 15th in the last race.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Two cracking BTCC races so far today. But seriously, Dunlop have to do something about their soft tyre, it's basically cheese.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

If you thought the first two races at Donington were great, the third and final race of the day just blew it clean out of the water. That was 19 laps of insane touring car racing. I'm still angry at Aron Smith.

Shoutouts to Aiden Moffat, his first top 5 finish, Josh Cook for looking like a seasoned veteran in only his 6th touring car race (screw you Aron Smith), and Martin Depper for FINALLY scoring a top 10 result, with 9th place.

Surely Neal and Jordan will be switched places post-race.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

East Londoner wrote:Two cracking BTCC races so far today. But seriously, Dunlop have to do something about their soft tyre, it's basically cheese.

The ballast needs to be lessened a bit as well. Maybe not to the point it was previously, but it is clearly too much at the moment.
Everything's great.
Rabbi Gordon

Post by Rabbi Gordon »

What group of people is behind Power Maxed? I mean "Automotive Brands" says nothing to me. Are they completely new?

Asking because they do look really promising and I bet I'm not the only one who did not expect them to be consistent top 10 cars.
HUGE shout out to Josh Cook. Who would have thought he can do this well?
If a particle is traveling at the speed of a Spyker, it is likely to finish last. - Albers Einstein

The Hungarian language is more beautiful than you'd ever think. See, the plural of soul in Hungarian is lelkek.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Rabbi Gordon wrote:What group of people is behind Power Maxed? I mean "Automotive Brands" says nothing to me. Are they completely new?

Asking because they do look really promising and I bet I'm not the only one who did not expect them to be consistent top 10 cars.

The Power Maxed Chevys were at least partially built by RML, so fundamentally they're good cars already, and with Newsham and Cook, they've got a decent veteran and a promising rookie driving. The team itself was a backmarker team called BTC Racing, which Automotive Brands took ownership of late last year, so we can assume there's been a big recruitment drive over the winter, I guess.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Cook's been doing well in Clio Cup for a few years, to be honest it was past time that he got a BTCC call-up. Glad it's turned out well for him.
Everything's great.
Samster

Post by Samster »

Talent Sr.... just go home. Just go home! And WTCC cars are proper racing cars? :facepalm:

http://downforce-radio.co.uk/tom-chilto ... cing-cars/
Samster

Post by Samster »

And officially no Macau for the BTCC this year. Too little time to transport the cars by boat and the organizers aren't willing to fund air freight for the teams and have thus withdrawn their offer of funding transport. The way the article is worded though suggests that Gow actually went for the idea which seems very unlike Gow to me.

http://www.btcccrazy.co.uk/btcc/organis ... -at-macau/
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

Autosport wrote:http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/118704

Thank you Autosport for having posted the testing times from the WTCC test at the Nordschleife.

This might get you guys pretty excited as former US-F1 team leader Jose Maria Lopez topped the time charts, and Ma Qing Hua came 3rd, over 3 seconds down. He may not have won Chinese F1 Idol *insert appropriate fanfare here* back in the day but he was over a second quicker around the Nordschleife than Gabriele Tarquini in 4th and over 6 seconds quicker than Tiago Monteiro in 8th who are both heroes of the founders of this board's immediate predecessor.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Samster wrote:And officially no Macau for the BTCC this year. Too little time to transport the cars by boat and the organizers aren't willing to fund air freight for the teams and have thus withdrawn their offer of funding transport. The way the article is worded though suggests that Gow actually went for the idea which seems very unlike Gow to me.

http://www.btcccrazy.co.uk/btcc/organis ... -at-macau/

Damn, that is a shame but I understand that the logistical timescale would have been a bit to tight.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
Rabbi Gordon

Post by Rabbi Gordon »

East Londoner wrote:
Rabbi Gordon wrote:What group of people is behind Power Maxed? I mean "Automotive Brands" says nothing to me. Are they completely new?

The Power Maxed Chevys were at least partially built by RML, so fundamentally they're good cars already, and with Newsham and Cook, they've got a decent veteran and a promising rookie driving. The team itself was a backmarker team called BTC Racing, which Automotive Brands took ownership of late last year, so we can assume there's been a big recruitment drive over the winter, I guess.

Ah, thanks.
I remember feeling SO bad for BTC in a Doinington race, back when thy were running blue(?) Toledos... Even though they are totally different I guess, it is great to see them do well.
Being built by RML tells me that you must be right with the cars being nice, but last year Moffat ran the same cars and he could do nothing.
Anyway now I might just have a much-needed favorite team in BTCC.
If a particle is traveling at the speed of a Spyker, it is likely to finish last. - Albers Einstein

The Hungarian language is more beautiful than you'd ever think. See, the plural of soul in Hungarian is lelkek.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Meanwhile, after wasting six years in awful cars, James Thompson has finally quit Lelda, no sorry, Lada.

Is it too much to hope that he's on his way back home to the BTCC?
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

East Londoner wrote:Meanwhile, after wasting six years in awful cars, James Thompson has finally quit Lelda, no sorry, Lada.

Is it too much to hope that he's on his way back home to the BTCC?

We can all dream.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Samster

Post by Samster »

Paras Racing have hired none other than.... MARTIN DONNELLY :o He will replace Richard Hawken.
http://www.btcc.net/2015/05/08/martin-d ... as-racing/
Rabbi Gordon

Post by Rabbi Gordon »

Samster wrote:Paras Racing have hired none other than.... MARTIN DONNELLY :o He will replace Richard Hawken.

lel

How long has he been out of professional racing? Is this his first pro race since his accident 25 years ago?
Anyway, he can't possibly be worse than Hawken. Probably he'll beat Palmer Jr. too, although Palmer at least looks to be passable as a racing driver.

Samster

Post by Samster »

Rabbi Gordon wrote:
Samster wrote:Paras Racing have hired none other than.... MARTIN DONNELLY :o He will replace Richard Hawken.

lel

How long has he been out of professional racing? Is this his first pro race since his accident 25 years ago?
Anyway, he can't possibly be worse than Hawken. Probably he'll beat Palmer Jr. too, although Palmer at least looks to be passable as a racing driver.

He has been racing on and off in club racing since the turn of the century including very recently in the Lotus Cup with his son. This would easily be his most high profile competition since Formula One though. Of course given his history, him and Paras are a perfect match. I'm sure he'll be more competitive than Hawken who was an absolute tortoise at Donnington.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

How the hell did Hawken get the drive in the first place? Crazy decision.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

AndreaModa wrote:How the hell did Hawken get the drive in the first place? Crazy decision.

Still the most sensible decision this team has made to date.
Everything's great.
Samster

Post by Samster »

In a further development of this story seems Richard Hawken is not happy about this driver change. He posted this on his facebook page.

Richard Hawken wrote:I was shocked and surprised to learn from a fan on Facebook earlier that I am being replaced as a driver for the remainder of the 2015 BTCC season. Having been made aware of rumours earlier this week, they were vehemently denied by the team, yet here we are with a change of driver.
To say I am disappointed and disillusioned by the unprofessional, dishonourable manner in which this has been handled, is an understatement. For those who know me, you'll be aware of how much time and effort I dedicated to building this. The next one however will be bigger and better!
I have been advised to make no further comments on the situation at this stage.
Rabbi Gordon

Post by Rabbi Gordon »

Samster wrote:In a further development of this story seems Richard Hawken is not happy about this driver change. He posted this on his facebook page.

Richard Hawken wrote:I was shocked and surprised to learn from a fan on Facebook earlier that I am being replaced as a driver for the remainder of the 2015 BTCC season. Having been made aware of rumours earlier this week, they were vehemently denied by the team, yet here we are with a change of driver.
To say I am disappointed and disillusioned by the unprofessional, dishonourable manner in which this has been handled, is an understatement. For those who know me, you'll be aware of how much time and effort I dedicated to building this. The next one however will be bigger and better!
I have been advised to make no further comments on the situation at this stage.

If that is the case, what Infiniti did is a really pathetic and cowardly thing to do and if you look at his twitter posts, he really seemed to have no idea. Quite positive, enthusiastic posts and then bam! he is no longer driving.
Good driver or not, not even telling Hawken that he is going to be replaced is pure douchebaggery and although I don't know much about him I am sure that he deserved better.

Might be a bit early to form such a strong opinion, but bathplug it. Wishing worst of luck to the Palmers.

Samster

Post by Samster »

Mike Bushell is hospitalized after colliding with Simon Belcher in qualifying. :(
http://www.btcccrazy.co.uk/btcc/mike-bu ... ken-femur/
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Massive shoutout to Sophia Floersch, who just now became the first female to win a Ginetta Juniors race, at just 14 years of age. :D

First BTCC race was a slow burner, Smith choked it away at the start and then a puncture hammered it in.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

East Londoner wrote:Massive shoutout to Sophia Floersch, who just now became the first female to win a Ginetta Juniors race, at just 14 years of age. :D

Awesome, she looked fairly handy in the races at Brands at Donington. :)
Everything's great.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Sophia Floersch makes it 2 out of 2 in the second Thruxton Ginetta Juniors race. We had a FIVE CAR battle for the lead at the final corner. Anyone who isn't watching this series, you're missing out big time.

Now, a win for Adam Morgan in the little Wix Merc in the final BTCC race of the day will nicely tie things up.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

East Londoner wrote:Sophia Floersch makes it 2 out of 2 in the second Thruxton Ginetta Juniors race. We had a FIVE CAR battle for the lead at the final corner. Anyone who isn't watching this series, you're missing out big time.

Watching that race, it was very impressive driving from Floersch. She wasn't the fastest car, but she backed everyone behind her into everyone else perfectly, so they never got a real shot at passing her. Great racecraft.
Everything's great.
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Delighted that Adam Morgan won the final race of the day at Thruxton, he really deserved it!
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
Warren Hughes

Post by Warren Hughes »

Missed all the BTCC today but somehow managed to catch both the Ginetta Juniors races. Found myself cheering Sophia Floersch over the line both times, what a terrific effort!
Nico Rosberg wrote:Break me down mentally? Good luck with that one.

:roll: