2015 Spanish Grand Prix thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Bobby Doorknobs

2015 Spanish Grand Prix thread

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

McLaren have announced a new livery for this weekend. Yup, no more chrome for McLaren. They're ditching it, not for orange, not for white and red, no, they're going for grey! Oh, dear God... In other, more positive news, Manor have declared this to be the start of their season proper and Lotus have big upgrades planned and are in an improved financial situation.
#FreeGonzo
Salamander

Re: 2015 Spanish Grand Prix thread

Post by Salamander »

My reaction after attempting to read the quote give by McLaren: Image
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

Salamander wrote:My reaction after attempting to read the quote give by McLaren: Image

Such hilariously marginal details to be concerned about while the car is a toilet :facepalm:
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Obviously, dull grey paint is cheaper than chrome, so it's probably just Dennis trying to save a few quid.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Maybe they can't actually afford paint and the grey is simply undercoat.
Just For One Day...
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

And the McLaren story wasn't a joke? Oh dear. All I care about is how fast they'll be this weekend, though. It would be really nice to see one of them get into Q3 and finish in a decent position. And it's quite sad that fingers are being crossed for both cars to actually make it onto the grid!
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

shinji wrote:
Salamander wrote:My reaction after attempting to read the quote give by McLaren: Image

Such hilariously marginal details to be concerned about while the car is a toilet :facepalm:
Nero fiddling while Rome burned.
Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

"The result is a dynamic, predatory, graphite-grey colouration, complemented by McLaren-dayglo 'Speedmarks' and keylines, reducing the reflection issues caused by our latest chrome-silver treatment."

Sniff Petrol couldn't even parody McLaren as good as McLaren parody themselves, good grief.
Message me on Discord.
Warren Hughes

Post by Warren Hughes »

It's going to look like a 2013 Sauber. What a load of ludicrous blather.
Nico Rosberg wrote:Break me down mentally? Good luck with that one.

:roll:
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

My reaction wasn't "McLaren grey get it because McLaren are boring lol!!!", it was "Will I even notice the change?".
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Shadaza wrote:"The result is a dynamic, predatory, graphite-grey colouration, complemented by McLaren-dayglo 'Speedmarks' and keylines, reducing the reflection issues caused by our latest chrome-silver treatment."

Sniff Petrol couldn't even parody McLaren as good as McLaren parody themselves, good grief.

But what if McLaren really are parodying themselves, in what is both the world's greatest trolling attempt, and a distraction from how much of a crapbox the paint has been applied to. Either the McLaren PR department have reached new heights for humanity in the field of self-parody, or they are not human at all. I cannot for a second imagine an actual living, breathing, flesh and blood person uttering these words, even in written form rather than spoken.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
More_Blue_Flags

Post by More_Blue_Flags »

Warren Hughes wrote:It's going to look like a 2013 Sauber. What a load of ludicrous blather.

And drive like a 2014 Sauber.
CoopsII wrote:Wouldnt it be lovely if just for once someone said "I really want to emulate Boutsen and get a decent, if not spectacular, result with some solid points".
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Shadaza wrote:"The result is a dynamic, predatory, graphite-grey colouration, complemented by McLaren-dayglo 'Speedmarks' and keylines, reducing the reflection issues caused by our latest chrome-silver treatment."

ImageImage
Is anybody else expecting it to look exactly the same only without these "reflection issues"?
Just For One Day...
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

Indeed, it looks like somebody from GPRejects.com needs to talk to Jamie and Enoch and ask them if he can borrow their seasoned publicocrap-o-meter ...
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

I don't understand why everyone's kicking off...we should be actively wanting something more like this:

Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
flattyre

Post by flattyre »

Ataxia wrote:I don't understand why everyone's kicking off...we should be actively wanting something more like this:

BAH! You stole my thunder... I was just going to reply with exactly the same thing :?

I say bring on the livery change... the more we can reminisce about Yamamoto's heroics 5 years ago, then the better! With the way they're going it'll be a similar performance, too... ;)

Image Image

:D
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Well it wasn't far off the HRT in the end:
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
wmetcalf7 4

Post by wmetcalf7 4 »

Looks meh. But does this really matter? Was this the reason they were so slow? Yeah, nope. They shouldn't be focusing on how their livery looks, when they have been the poster child for classic teams dropping into Q1 every race. Alonso and Button deserve more than this. And before you say it, I honestly am not a McLaren guy. It's just really stupid seeing this happen to such a historic team. You know you're screwed when you're as fast as Marussia last year….
#GetWellWickens
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

wmetcalf7 4 wrote:Looks meh. But does this really matter? Was this the reason they were so slow? Yeah, nope. They shouldn't be focusing on how their livery looks, when they have been the poster child for classic teams dropping into Q1 every race. Alonso and Button deserve more than this. And before you say it, I honestly am not a McLaren guy. It's just really stupid seeing this happen to such a historic team. You know you're screwed when you're as fast as Marussia last year….

Um... I don't mean to be impolite, but... were you watching the past couple of races? I would definitely not say they're screwed. Not when Honda still have engine tokens to use and are improving all the time. The gap between McLaren and everybody else has been closing every weekend, they're certainly nowhere near as slow now as they were in Melbourne. They could even be in contention for a point or two this Sunday.
#FreeGonzo
wmetcalf7 4

Post by wmetcalf7 4 »

Simtek wrote:
wmetcalf7 4 wrote:Looks meh. But does this really matter? Was this the reason they were so slow? Yeah, nope. They shouldn't be focusing on how their livery looks, when they have been the poster child for classic teams dropping into Q1 every race. Alonso and Button deserve more than this. And before you say it, I honestly am not a McLaren guy. It's just really stupid seeing this happen to such a historic team. You know you're screwed when you're as fast as Marussia last year….

Um... I don't mean to be impolite, but... were you watching the past couple of races? I would definitely not say they're screwed. Not when Honda still have engine tokens to use and are improving all the time. The gap between McLaren and everybody else has been closing every weekend, they're certainly nowhere near as slow now as they were in Melbourne. They could even be in contention for a point or two this Sunday.

I know that. It's just when you're in a McLaren and you're fighting in the midfield trying to get a point, it's not right. Alonso and Button deserve race winning cars, not midfield cars. Although I admit, the Marussia/Dropping into Q1 thing was a bit of an exaggeration. They are improving, I know, and Honda weren't going to be competitive in the first place, they'd need a couple of seasons, but right now they aren't up there where they should be. Hopefully they can catch up.
#GetWellWickens
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Look how Mercedes has the upper hand with engine usage.

Edit: Ricciardo is now down to his final engine. This is really bad...

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
mario

Post by mario »

Shizuka wrote:Image

Look how Mercedes has the upper hand with engine usage.

Edit: Ricciardo is now down to his final engine. This is really bad...

Which also gives them greater flexibility over when they introduce their engine upgrades - Ferrari will probably have to wait until either the Canadian or Austrian GP to introduce their upgrades given they are onto their second engine already.

As for Ricciardo, well, he is now in deep, deep trouble if he's onto his fourth engine now - even in the most optimistic of scenarios I expect him to have to take at least two engine penalties this season, and probably more given that Renault have't been able to remotely match the mileage of Ferrari or Mercedes (except, surprisingly, for Sainz Jr.).
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Both HRT's into Q2 for the first time this year.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

It looks like we may get a Noah's Ark grid! :shock:
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

Man qualifying is just a dull drab now or I've changed and watched more football. Anyway McLaren look better with the upgrades around Force India and below Lotus.
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Nico Coulthard reincarnated has Nico Rosberg this weekend.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

Great stuff from STR and Nico.

Hopefully we have a decent race with a lot of rejectful stuff.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Aguaman wrote:Man qualifying is just a dull drab now or I've changed and watched more football. Anyway McLaren look better with the upgrades around Force India and below Lotus.

They certainly need to do something about Q3. It's been a while now. They need to encourage the teams to do some more running. For them to rubber in the track and all. Now, I don't say to go back to the 60 minute session with the 12 laps limit, but at least it managed to build up the scene to a nice and exciting ending. What can I say? Been feeling nostalgic lately.

Also, that Renault engine must be really poor... Look at STR so low on the grid together with Ferrari and Williams. Oh wait, I've been reading the grid upside down. Well then. It must be the excellent chassis that makes the STR move on willpower and faith.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
mario

Post by mario »

Meatwad wrote:It looks like we may get a Noah's Ark grid! :shock:

Well, it was certainly close to that - only Massa and Kimi failed to finish in the right places to make that the case. Now, speaking of those two drivers, what happened to them? Both of them were a sizeable chunk slower than their previous best laps in Q2.

Another thing that was mentioned was that, according to Kravitz, Kimi is running with an older specification rear bodywork package on his car than Vettel. It's been suggested that this may be down to Kimi's engineers - it seems that the new bodywork package was there, and Kimi did seem to ask for it, but it looks like his engineers recommended he stuck with the older rear bodywork (albeit with the updated rear wing package Ferrari has this weekend).

DanielPT wrote:Also, that Renault engine must be really poor... Look at STR so low on the grid together with Ferrari and Williams. Oh wait, I've been reading the grid upside down. Well then. It must be the excellent chassis that makes the STR move on willpower and faith.

It does seem to underline one thing at least, which is that Red Bull have definitely lost their edge when it comes to designing a strong chassis - they've been beaten by Toro Rosso on merit here.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Seeing as Rosberg has always finished in the position he started off this year, has the winner already been decided? :twisted:
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Dear Sky Sports,

It's lovely when you do features on old F1 races like you did today with a piece on the 1975 Spanish Grand Prix.

However, we all know that Simon whatsisface knew nothing about F1 before he got the Sky F1 gig, therefore please get someone else to narrate it.

There is no such person as 'Layla' Lombardi, and 'Ralf' Stommelen doesn't exist either.

God knows what you'd make of my name should you ever do a feature on AGS.

Yours,
Barbazza
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

DanielPT wrote:
Aguaman wrote:Man qualifying is just a dull drab now or I've changed and watched more football. Anyway McLaren look better with the upgrades around Force India and below Lotus.

They certainly need to do something about Q3. It's been a while now. They need to encourage the teams to do some more running. For them to rubber in the track and all. Now, I don't say to go back to the 60 minute session with the 12 laps limit, but at least it managed to build up the scene to a nice and exciting ending. What can I say? Been feeling nostalgic lately.

Also, that Renault engine must be really poor... Look at STR so low on the grid together with Ferrari and Williams. Oh wait, I've been reading the grid upside down. Well then. It must be the excellent chassis that makes the STR move on willpower and faith.

I think it is me watching more football.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

DanielPT wrote:

How about a session where its compulsory for all cars to be out on track and set 3 flying laps? Isle of Man TT style?
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

watka wrote:
DanielPT wrote:

How about a session where its compulsory for all cars to be out on track and set 3 flying laps? Isle of Man TT style?

That's not a gimmick....
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
BigG80

Post by BigG80 »

I'm sorry but you are talking out of your hat. This is the best quali format we've had yet. Now that the drivers that make it to Q3 get the extra set of tyres that mean they all have a run, we see all the top 10 have a go at least once. I really fail to see what else they can do. Would you prefer it if the top 4 from Q2 were hit with an iron bar on one arm prior to their runs? It only looks dull because they are driving the best their cars can give them. Stop moaning all the time and just enjoy the show.

If a driver turned pundit says this is the best format we have had, well I'm inclined to listen to him. And I used to enjoy 1 lap quali because you saw all the cars and all the drivers but as a spectacle building to a big finish, it really didn't deliver.

Perhaps your complaint should be that right now we know that one team has the one lap pace over the rest and that one driver has until today been acing his team mate. Well that is F1 and if you don't like that then perhaps this isn't the sport for you?

Sorry for the rant but there really is no need for more tweaks to the "show" on a Saturday. It works.
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

mario wrote:Which also gives them greater flexibility over when they introduce their engine upgrades - Ferrari will probably have to wait until either the Canadian or Austrian GP to introduce their upgrades given they are onto their second engine already.

As for Ricciardo, well, he is now in deep, deep trouble if he's onto his fourth engine now - even in the most optimistic of scenarios I expect him to have to take at least two engine penalties this season, and probably more given that Renault have't been able to remotely match the mileage of Ferrari or Mercedes (except, surprisingly, for Sainz Jr.).

Updated image:

Three of the four Red Bull drivers are onto their fourth ICE unit...

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

watka wrote:
DanielPT wrote:

It's fine. We get running in some capacity for most of the session, rather than sitting there for the first half an hour with a few sprinkles of cars. Remember only a couple of years ago where teams didn't get an extra set of tyres, so would just leave five or six cars to fight it out whilst they sat in the garage. Yeah, it's better than that.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Every sodding time Maldonado has a good run this year, it all goes to shite for him. He was being the hero we needed in that first stint. :(
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

So, this win will motivate Rosberg a lot.

Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Miguel98 wrote:So, this win will motivate Rosberg a lot.

Indeed, if he wins in Monaco too it could be an interesting turnaround in fortunes that this season could do well to have :)