Reject relations...

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
F1 Adam

Re: Reject relations...

Post by F1 Adam »

I went to the Super Aguri auction in 2008 after they shut down and got to look round their factory and all their stuff. Some Germans ended up buying everything so all I got was some stolen Super Aguri-headed A4 paper. I have kept the sheets in mint condition to this very day :D

I also got Alex Yoong's autograph when he was doing A1GP at the very first race at Brands Hatch in whatever year that was (2005?)
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

thehemogoblin wrote:I, like Yuji Ide, do not have a Superlicense.

Same here
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

My Biology teacher has the same surname as Alex Yoong.
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

WaffleCat wrote:My Biology teacher has the same surname as Alex Yoong.

There was a Biology teacher at my school called Dr Young. Almost the same... But he taught my dad Biology, so I imagine he's retired now.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Not particularly rejectful, but hey-ho...

Jenson Button was born about 7 miles up the road from me...
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
wmetcalf68

Post by wmetcalf68 »

I, like Andrea De Cesaris, have not won an F1 race. :lol: ( But I will when I grow up! ;) )
RIP Dan Wheldon #77
RIP Marco Simoncelli #58
RIP Sean Edwards
RIP Maria de Villota
Ataxia's take on the cool wall:
Ataxia wrote:Felipe, baby: Cool
wmetcalf68

Post by wmetcalf68 »

MaxZero wrote:Not rejectful in the slightest this, apologies

Jim Clark was my grandfathers second cousin

:o That is SO awesome!!!
RIP Dan Wheldon #77
RIP Marco Simoncelli #58
RIP Sean Edwards
RIP Maria de Villota
Ataxia's take on the cool wall:
Ataxia wrote:Felipe, baby: Cool
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

I have no relations but I've sat in a McLaren at the British GP in 2005. I've visited the Arrows garage when on a camping holiday and got to look around the reception bit, where they had a 2000 Arrows sitting there. Can't remember the name of the town but I got my photo taken outside the main building.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Barbazza wrote:Resurrecting this thread as I've only today found out some interesting info, that I suspect the original poster at least will be interested in.

I was trawling through details of my old secondary/sixth form school and found a list of famous people who'd also been there, most of whom I already knew of or had never heard of.

Right in the middle of the list though, was....Johnny Claes!! Not bad eh?

Resurrecting this thread again (!) to say that a newsletter from my old school features Johnny Claes but although it mentions his band playing in a George Formby movie, there's no mention of F1 at all!
They'll be getting an e-mail from me.
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

Well, apart from having sneaked into the paddock at Spa, 1992, and gotten out with a few autographs (Eric VDP, Ukyo K., Jyrki Jarvilehto, Gabriele Tarquini, Emanuele Naspetti, Ivan Capelli, Nigel Mansell), I have seen Perry McCarthy drive through Eau Rouge in his Andrea Moda and, at the Hungaroring, could have witnessed Taki Inoue being run over by the safety car right there as it happened, had I not been looking elsewhere.

But that's all on or at the track so it doesn't count. However, I did recognize into ex-DTM champion Frank Biela in the parking lot of my local supermarket. He must have been on his way to Brno.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

As I documented elsewhere a couple of months ago, I had the pleasure of meeting Karun Chandhok when he was invited to a talk at Coventry University, and although I got a photo and nice autograph, that's about as good as it gets for me! Oh as well as coming from the same town where Simtek and now Marussia are based, but I wrote that when this thread was initially started!

I have however met and got autographs off of a great many bike riders, including the late Steve Hislop, as well as TT legend John McGuiness and WSBK champ Neil Hodgson. :D
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

This doesn't really count as a reject relation per se, but my dad, thanks to his job, got paddock passes to the 1991 Belgian GP and even had a small chat with Senna, Prost and Berger.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
wmetcalf7 4

Post by wmetcalf7 4 »

3 years on, I would imagine some of you have had some new reject experiences. Well, my new experience is a bit of a stretch, but I'll say it anyways. This summer, as a reward for my karting performances, I will be testing a car that is similar to a F1000 car and a USF2000 car. Kind of in the middle, but more of a USF2000 (the car looks kind've like this: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formula_ ... _white.jpg). You're probably thinking, "What does this have to do with our lovable rejects?" Well, USF2000 and F1000 are series that are on the Mazda Road To Indy, which includes the ladder series to Indycar (ex. Indy Lights). Here is the reject connection.... Max "Lord Talent" Chilton is racing in Indy Lights, WHICH is on the Mazda Road To Indy! There it is :D (By the way, sorry for the major thread resurrection, just thought you guys may have had some new experiences, as I did.)
Last edited by wmetcalf7 4 on 16 Apr 2015, 15:04, edited 1 time in total.
#GetWellWickens
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Back in February, as part of my college course, I did work experience on the production of the second season of Penny Dreadful. One of the filming locations is an estate that was once owned by the late Joe Kelly, this one to be exact. I was there twice, once while they were doing an exterior shot of the house, and again the following week to help take measurements for the art department, who were redecorating some of the interior. I didn't actually realise this until a couple of weeks ago, when I was reading Joe Kelly's Wikipedia page and saw the photo linked in this post.
#FreeGonzo
wmetcalf7 4

Post by wmetcalf7 4 »

(Not a reject but pretty close to one.)

About a month ago, I was at an Indy Lights test (yes, The Lord Chilton series, Indy Lights), and I had a nice chat with Derek Daly there. He signed my hat, pretty nice guy!
#GetWellWickens
Bobby Doorknobs

wmetcalf7 4 wrote:(Not a reject but pretty close to one.)

About a month ago, I was at an Indy Lights test (yes, The Lord Chilton series, Indy Lights), and I had a nice chat with Derek Daly there. He signed my hat, pretty nice guy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNCkHsOTJT4
#FreeGonzo
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

My third cousin was an engineer at Tyrrell and in 1984 was mechanic for Stefan Bellof. He later became chief mechanic in the 1990's when the likes of Ricardo Rosset and Toranusuke Takagi were at the team. He went to Minardi after that where he apparently became team manager for the 2003 season. In 2004 and 2005, he was their coordinator with their engine supplier.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
wmetcalf7 4

Post by wmetcalf7 4 »

wmetcalf68 wrote:I, like Andrea De Cesaris, have not won an F1 race. :lol: ( But I will when I grow up! ;) )

Sorry, just had to take a moment to cringe at my 9 (10 in July) year old self.... Carry on :P
#GetWellWickens
Bobby Doorknobs

wmetcalf7 4 wrote:
wmetcalf68 wrote:I, like Andrea De Cesaris, have not won an F1 race. :lol: ( But I will when I grow up! ;) )

Sorry, just had to take a moment to cringe at my 9 (10 in July) year old self.... Carry on :P

Nothing to be embarrassed about. I still think I'm going to win a Grand Prix and I'm 19 :P
#FreeGonzo
Rabbi Gordon

Post by Rabbi Gordon »

No actual relation, (unless football rejects count :D) but have met and talked to several rejects.
I have met and talked to (twice actually) the one and only, WNSNBM. I can seriously say that he was up to date, knowledgeable and a nice person altogether. To my question "What was your real goal in your F1 season?", he answered "Work hard, impress the team and finish as often I can. You know, they don't expect much from a pay driver, but I hoped I could provide a pleasant surprise."

In 2004 I got a die-cast autographed by Friesacher. It was an F3000 car in Coloni colors. I think the actual driver of it was v. Hooydonck. Wish I still had it.

In 2012 I met Matias Laine a few hours before GP3 quali who seemed genuinely surprised that someone recognized him. (Bear in mind, this is still before his win) Great guy, talked a lot about the good atmosphere and how he likes the track, but suffers from some understeering.
What's more, next year I met him again (now in the WSR 3.5) and this time HE recognized me as well!

This year I'll be looking for some Manor autographs.
If a particle is traveling at the speed of a Spyker, it is likely to finish last. - Albers Einstein

The Hungarian language is more beautiful than you'd ever think. See, the plural of soul in Hungarian is lelkek.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

I came across a chap at the weekend who has built a replica samurai dagger/blade ornament for none other than Ukyo Katayama. It's cost them something like £4000 if I remember our conversation correctly. It has Ukyo's family silk in it.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Warren Hughes

Post by Warren Hughes »

AndreaModa wrote:I came across a chap at the weekend who has built a replica samurai dagger/blade ornament for none other than Ukyo Katayama. It's cost them something like £4000 if I remember our conversation correctly. It has Ukyo's family silk in it.

This is my favourite post since coming back to the forums. Absolutely beautiful.
Nico Rosberg wrote:Break me down mentally? Good luck with that one.

:roll:
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

AndreaModa wrote:I came across a chap at the weekend who has built a replica samurai dagger/blade ornament for none other than Ukyo Katayama. It's cost them something like £4000 if I remember our conversation correctly. It has Ukyo's family silk in it.

Now that's the most random F1 connection I've ever heard.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
wmetcalf7 4

Post by wmetcalf7 4 »

Warren Hughes wrote:

This is my favourite post since coming back to the forums. Absolutely beautiful.

Indeed, pure poetry... :D
#GetWellWickens
wmetcalf7 4

Post by wmetcalf7 4 »

Bump.... :P
So, my dad works for an Indy Lights team. Schmidt Peterson Motorsports. He was at Barber this year, and he talked to Roberto Moreno, the reject team king!! He used to work for Project Indy in 1998 (the team Roberto was on), so they knew eachother. Roberto was there coaching a USF2000 driver. Apparently, Roberto was really nice and a very down to earth guy. My dad asked him if he wanted to come to the Schmidt Peterson tent for lunch, and he kindly accepted! What a legend :)
#GetWellWickens
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Not a reject himself by any means, but the man owned a team for which mqany rejects drove...

Last week, the Oxford Brookes Formula Student car was launched on the same day as a talk/debate about "Motorsport: Past, Present, Future". The guest of honour? A bloke called John Surtees. I didn't really get the chance to talk to him, but I was in a large-ish group of students gathered around him listening to some anecdotes, and we all got to shake his hand.

Brilliant bloke, and always awesome to hear an 81-year-old asking "What sort of wishbone are you using on this suspension?".
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Bobby Doorknobs

This seemed like the best place to post this...

So I was on my daily commute to Dublin this morning and as the bus turned onto Dawson Street where I prepared to disembark I noticed that right next door to the headquarters of the Royal Irish Automobile Club was a jeweller's. The jeweller's name? David Murray. Just thought it was a funny coincidence ;)
#FreeGonzo
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Simtek wrote:This seemed like the best place to post this...

So I was on my daily commute to Dublin this morning and as the bus turned onto Dawson Street where I prepared to disembark I noticed that right next door to the headquarters of the Royal Irish Automobile Club was a jeweller's. The jeweller's name? David Murray. Just thought it was a funny coincidence ;)

Like this one, you mean?
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"