2015 Australian GP Discussion Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: 2015 Australian GP Discussion Thread

Post by Wallio »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:
sswishbone wrote:BBC have reported a rumour that Sauber's ownership is at stake and Colin Kolles is in the background... Is this the most rejectful season start in the last two decades?

No. MC Lola can never be beaten.

Oh I don't know. Sauber is definitely in the top three with Lola and Andrea Moda. Can they the the gold? I say yes, Monisha is pretty much trying to run the team into the ground. Unretire Pete!
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:
sswishbone wrote:BBC have reported a rumour that Sauber's ownership is at stake and Colin Kolles is in the background... Is this the most rejectful season start in the last two decades?

No. MC Lola can never be beaten.

For one team undoubtedly but I mean the whole circus. Sauber's legal issues, Mclaren's pathetic chassis, Alonso crash, Bottas potential injury, Marussia DNQ... This whole weekend has been a total and utter farce
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

One thing McLaren do have going for them is the Esso logo they now sport on the drivers' overalls, etc - it looks splendidly retro!
Julien

Post by Julien »

The Aus GP had shown clearly the fundamental issues of current F1.
1) Any radical rule change, combined with he notorious ban of any testing or midseason development means that one team gonna dominate the sport until the next radical rule change. Now it's Mercedes, but it was Red Bull, McLaren, Renault and Ferrari again if you're walking backwards in time.
2) The economic model of current F1 is unmaintainable. Of the 10 teams, 4 has dire financial problems. Manor barely exists, Sauber puts paychecks into their cars, Force India completely depends on a company group that may go bankrupt overnight at any time and McLaren is unable to find a main sponsor for the third year now.
3) The sport became so artificial that the drivers became more like engineers rather than the heroes. All the gadgets, the adjustments etc. mean that F1 is now 80% about the car and 20% about the drivers. Don't tell me that Vettel and Raikkonen are 1 second slower than Hamilton and Rosberg, or that Button couldn't do better than 17th on the grid...
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

So, let me get this right. We could potentially have 17 cars on the grid tomorrow, of which we know that 2 almost certainly won't finish (McLarens), and that 2 will probably drive off into the distance.

I think that, for the first time ever, I may be watching most of a race that I've recorded - I very rarely get up early to watch the non-European races - on fast forward.....
pablo_h

Post by pablo_h »

And unfortunately as I live in Australia myself, not shown at the right time to fall gracefully asleep to if it's a bore.
mario

Post by mario »

Barbazza wrote:So, let me get this right. We could potentially have 17 cars on the grid tomorrow, of which we know that 2 almost certainly won't finish (McLarens), and that 2 will probably drive off into the distance.

I think that, for the first time ever, I may be watching most of a race that I've recorded - I very rarely get up early to watch the non-European races - on fast forward.....

The outcome of Bottas's medical exam is yet to be confirmed, but that is a distinct possibility.

However, there is at least one point of interest, and that is the fact that Ferrari and Williams seem to have fairly evenly matched cars. If Bottas is fit to race, there is a prospect of a four way battle between the two Ferrari and Williams drivers, which will probably prove to be one of the focal points of the race.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
LukeB

Post by LukeB »

Julien wrote:The Aus GP had shown clearly the fundamental issues of current F1.
1) Any radical rule change, combined with he notorious ban of any testing or midseason development means that one team gonna dominate the sport until the next radical rule change. Now it's Mercedes, but it was Red Bull, McLaren, Renault and Ferrari again if you're walking backwards in time.
2) The economic model of current F1 is unmaintainable. Of the 10 teams, 4 has dire financial problems. Manor barely exists, Sauber puts paychecks into their cars, Force India completely depends on a company group that may go bankrupt overnight at any time and McLaren is unable to find a main sponsor for the third year now.
3) The sport became so artificial that the drivers became more like engineers rather than the heroes. All the gadgets, the adjustments etc. mean that F1 is now 80% about the car and 20% about the drivers. Don't tell me that Vettel and Raikkonen are 1 second slower than Hamilton and Rosberg, or that Button couldn't do better than 17th on the grid...

I by no means disagree, but these have all been problems to a greater and lesser extant since I started regularly watching F1 (1997) and almost certainly before then too. Fundamental problems maybe, but if so these are fundamental problems with F1 over the long term rather then specific issues with F1 currently.
If the doomsayers are right this time and the whole rotten edifice is finally about to come tumbling down the question isn't what caused it now but how did it last so long in the first place.
Making up the numbers
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Julien wrote:All the gadgets, the adjustments etc. mean that F1 is now 80% about the car and 20% about the drivers.

You mean the way it has literally been since ... ever?

It's a shame that that point undermines the rest of the post, because I fully agree with the rest, although I do not consider 1) a failure of the system but a reality of modern motorsport.
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Klon wrote:
Julien wrote:All the gadgets, the adjustments etc. mean that F1 is now 80% about the car and 20% about the drivers.

You mean the way it has literally been since ... ever?

It's a shame that that point undermines the rest of the post, because I fully agree with the rest, although I do not consider 1) a failure of the system but a reality of modern motorsport.

In fact, it's the reason motorsport was invented in the first place - to build the best car and prove its superiority.
#FreeGonzo
Press_Play2002

Post by Press_Play2002 »

All things considered thus far I'm amazed that this season is relatively "meh" considering the legal faracas with van der Garde and Kalterborn, McLaren-Honda's underwhelming and excuse-less quali run; Manor's stillborn re-debut and little to no change in the front row. Yes there's still a race to start but surprisingly this year's not terrible and there's a whole season to look forward too.
tumblr: http://www.tumblr.com/blog/n0tab0x1871 TARTZ: http://truefalse1989.deviantart.com/
"I think Press_Play2002 is on a downward spiral and has lost it completely"
~Mark WebberNot a real quote by the way
Bobby Doorknobs

It's been confirmed that Bottas will unfortunately be missing the race: http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2015/03/15/b ... rand-prix/

3 down, 17 to go...
#FreeGonzo
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

So with no Bottas as well, this must surely be one of the smallest "normal" grids (i.e. with no protest or safety pull outs) ever?
Bobby Doorknobs

Paul Hayes wrote:So with no Bottas as well, this must surely be one of the smallest "normal" grids (i.e. with no protest or safety pull outs) ever?

The 1969 Mexican Grand Prix is (unless I'm very much mistaken) the last time there was a grid this small, also at 17 cars, which was itself reduced to 16 when Bruce McLaren had a fuel injection problem.
#FreeGonzo
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Now we have 16 left! Kevin is out! McLaren are in for a pointless season.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

Kevin's engine blows already.
Proud supporter of the United States 2nd Amendment.

2012 Predicament Predictions Champion.
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

That just sums up how rejectful this whole weekend has been! Kyvat also out!!
Last edited by sswishbone on 15 Mar 2015, 04:38, edited 3 times in total.
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

So, ROTR will be for the Honda engine of Kevin Magnussen...
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

Kvyat having trouble too. Oh the madness!
Last edited by DOSBoot on 15 Mar 2015, 04:38, edited 1 time in total.

good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Is Kvyat out too?!?!?!?!

Why doesn't this lunacy happen more often, eh? :P
Last edited by good_Ralf on 15 Mar 2015, 04:38, edited 1 time in total.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
AdrianBelmonte_

LET THE MANORS RUN
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

YES!

Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Sauber have a great opportunity to end their pointless streak today with Nasr.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

good_Ralf wrote:Is Kvyat out too?!?!?!?!

Why doesn't this lunacy happen more often, eh? :P

I would be saying it if I hadn't seen it. :?

UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

10 points positions for 20 entrants and 15 starters
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

Button to overcome the odds and get a point

Martin Brundle has just said we saw a great race between the ferraris when only six cars on the grid in Indianapolis 2005... What race was he watching?

Bobby Doorknobs

Come to think of it, this is exactly what people were predicting would happen in 2014. :lol:

EDIT: And going back to the Mexico '69 comment, I was wrong. I forgot about Imola 1982.
#FreeGonzo
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

and Maldonado out!! Safety car, Button also past Grosjean!

UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Whenever Maldonado spins, I feel like it's figurative karma. I have serious issues feeling sorry for him.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

Maldonado back to his usual form. (Correction: Nasr hit him.)
Last edited by DOSBoot on 15 Mar 2015, 05:08, edited 1 time in total.

Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Maldonado out already. Thanks a bunch Massa and Raikkonen.

14 cars left. I got up at 4:50 for this? :/

EDIT: Both Lotuses out after 1 lap.
Last edited by Londoner on 15 Mar 2015, 05:08, edited 1 time in total.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

Grojean in the garage already!

sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

Getting rid of the mediums already... Sochi-esque degredation? And Grosjean out!!!

Bobby Doorknobs

I'm calling it: This will be a repeat of Monaco '96: Nasr will win. A blue car won in Monaco so it's impeccable logic. 13 left as I write this.
#FreeGonzo
AdrianBelmonte_

GROSJEAN OUT, 13 cars remaining
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

Simtek wrote:I'm calling it: This will be a repeat of Monaco '96: Nasr will win. A blue car won in Monaco so it's impeccable logic. 13 left as I write this.

2001 Australia I think, 6 cars finishing

Bobby Doorknobs

sswishbone wrote:
Simtek wrote:I'm calling it: This will be a repeat of Monaco '96: Nasr will win. A blue car won in Monaco so it's impeccable logic. 13 left as I write this.

2001 Australia I think, 6 cars finishing

Er, 14 cars finished in 2001? Do you mean 2002, where 8 cars finished?
#FreeGonzo
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

Rejectful from Perez, overtaking under safety car, great from Nasr though, really punching above his weight

Londoner

Post by Londoner »

OK, if Nasr can score a podium and Verstappen retires, then it's all worth it.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

Riccardo up to 6th.