The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
mario

Re: The 2015 Launch Thread

Post by mario »

AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:
razta wrote:

Better pic

Looks like a evolution of 2014 car

Well, I suppose we will see plenty enough of the car over the coming days, but it makes sense for Mercedes to use the W05 as a platform for development of the W06 given that the W05 was in itself a very competitive car. After all, Red Bull did pretty well with effectively evolving the same car through similar sets of regulations (Newey considered most of the cars that he has worked on over the past few years as effectively being evolutions of the RB6), so I can see why Mercedes would go for the same approach.

watka wrote:Really surprised that McLaren haven't attempted to disassociate themselves at all from Mercedes. Surely that's what Honda would want? The livery is nice enough (like the Force India if the Force India had been done properly), but I hoped for something new rather than keeping with silver (even if there is a splash of black too).

I agree that I would have expected McLaren and Honda to have made much more of an effort to move away from a silver livery in order to emphasise the symbolic breaking of ties with Mercedes.

Mind you, whilst the livery is rather conservative, the whole aero philosophy of the car is a much more radical departure - and what is interesting is that McLaren and Mercedes seem to have gone down a similar route with regards to the design of their nose, although McLaren seem to have surprisingly long front and rear crash structures.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
razta

Post by razta »

Mercedes's shakedown "Spy" stunt effectively ruined Mclaren's big "Back to the future" Launch today.. #Trollcedes :lol: :lol:
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

Adam Cooper is speculating that McLaren may be doing a 'placeholder' livery, and the actual new colours will be launched in Australia.

We can only hope.

Bring back red and white. Bring back orange. Heck, run a pink car for papa smurf!

Just, stop being so middle of the road.
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

AustralianStig wrote:Adam Cooper is speculating that McLaren may be doing a 'placeholder' livery, and the actual new colours will be launched in Australia.

We can only hope.

Bring back red and white. Bring back orange. Heck, run a pink car for papa smurf!

I can agree on that. Right now, I'd even prefer that feces brown of the Honda special model in the first Gran Turismo.
LeytonHouse

Post by LeytonHouse »

I was quite surprised to see McLaren sticking with a largely silver livery this year. Its looks ok I guess but it would have been nice to see something different to mark their new journey with Honda and seperation from Mercedes. I can only guess that Dennis is really attached to the silver chrome look.
"A GP2 car is faster than my Caterham" - Kamui Kobayashi (Pre-season testing 2014)
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Klon wrote:
AustralianStig wrote:Adam Cooper is speculating that McLaren may be doing a 'placeholder' livery, and the actual new colours will be launched in Australia.

We can only hope.

I can agree on that. Right now, I'd even prefer that feces brown of the Honda special model in the first Gran Turismo.

Loved that car. Apparently it was hidden in the game files of GT2!
#FreeGonzo
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

A blatant attempt to recreate the iconic silver west livery + too similar with Force India.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

East Londoner wrote:Looks like someone at Brackley was looking at some of the old cars that factory produced, came across the 2004 BAR nosecone, and thought "that'll do". But I like it.

Reminds me more of the early 2004 McLaren.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
qw4tt0r

Post by qw4tt0r »

I have to say, the cars that were shown this year were already better looking than the 2013 and 2014 grids put together, but that doesn't say much.
I'm very concerned about McLaren's lack of a main sponsor, how are they supposed to be competitive with Mercedes development wise without the cash of a main sponsor...
nome66

Post by nome66 »

maybe Mr. Dennis should lower his asking price for sponsors a bit.
I believe in German BARawnda-Tyrrell-Simca(and it's working)

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

qw4tt0r wrote:I have to say, the cars that were shown this year were already better looking than the 2013 and 2014 grids put together, but that doesn't say much.
I'm very concerned about McLaren's lack of a main sponsor, how are they supposed to be competitive with Mercedes development wise without the cash of a main sponsor...

They should put Honda on the rear wing, it was pretty much common from 2003. (Except for the actual Honda team in 2007, 2008, but Super Aguri did that during these seasons)

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

qw4tt0r wrote:I have to say, the cars that were shown this year were already better looking than the 2013 and 2014 grids put together, but that doesn't say much.

But they're announcing it soon! :P
#FreeGonzo
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

qw4tt0r wrote:I'm very concerned about McLaren's lack of a main sponsor, how are they supposed to be competitive with Mercedes development wise without the cash of a main sponsor...

They do have a major sponsor - Honda. All of the money that they would have spent on engines last year has been freed up because they are no longer a customer team.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

F1000X

Post by F1000X »

Shizuka wrote:Image

It's like when you hit the paint bucket tool instead of the pencil tool in MS-Paint.
"Sebastian Bourdais- he once was a champ, but now he's a chump." -Will Power
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Just For One Day...
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

The livery's OK. Anything's better than that dismal grey they'd been using. My main worry is with the car itself. It looks incredibly basic for an F1 car. It just screams "backmarker" looking at it. I honestly think this is Sauber's swansong unless Nasr's bringing an exorbitant amount of money from Branco de Brazil to offset the lost TV money.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

I do not recognise that particular shade of silver.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

Well CaptainGetz's prediction for the Sauber a couple of pages back was a pretty good effort!

And CoopsII's picture is, worryingly, better looking than the real thing, and with more sponsors ...
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

I like that basic livery only because they use some actual colours. Too bad that the rest of the car, as East Londoner said, has written "back row" all over it.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

ScarbsF1 posted on Twitter:
„The long nose is easier to pass the crash test, one of the compromises of their restricted resources - everything else is similar, with new cooling inlets beside the roll hoop”

CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

It's funny because I remember a time when the back of the grid cars, the strugglers, the no hopers, were utterly battered in sponsors, dripping in decals. It always appeared they'd take anybodys cash for a small logo on a panel somewhere. What does it say about F1 and the global economy in general that these days those guys cant even get £500 from the local plumber or something for an advert?
Just For One Day...
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

CoopsII wrote:It's funny because I remember a time when the back of the grid cars, the strugglers, the no hopers, were utterly battered in sponsors, dripping in decals. It always appeared they'd take anybodys cash for a small logo on a panel somewhere.

...so a round of applause for Caterham for doing exactly that to turn up at Abu Dhabi!
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

dinizintheoven wrote:
CoopsII wrote:It's funny because I remember a time when the back of the grid cars, the strugglers, the no hopers, were utterly battered in sponsors, dripping in decals. It always appeared they'd take anybodys cash for a small logo on a panel somewhere.

...so a round of applause for Caterham for doing exactly that to turn up at Abu Dhabi!

And a round of boo's to Sauber for, what, being too choosy? Or being too unappealing to just about anybody with cash and a mind to advertise on a global platform?
Just For One Day...
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

A few Lidl logos should sort that out...:P

It's a relatively inoffensive livery, but without Gutierrez's sponsors there it's a little bare. Maybe a more shiny blue would be nice too, but now I'm getting picky.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that HP should make an appearance on the actual livery, they only announced a deal a few days ago so probably not in time for the reveal.
Last edited by Ataxia on 30 Jan 2015, 10:37, edited 1 time in total.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

DanielPT wrote:I like that basic livery only because they use some actual colours.

This is exactly what I thought when I first saw it.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

Ataxia wrote:A few Lidl logos should sort that out...:P

Or a big Ikea one...
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:

Or a big Ikea one...

What about a nice big picture of ABBA?
Just For One Day...
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

That nose design is hideous, I know I should be supporting them because my second cousin works for them but I just can't.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
AdrianBelmonte_

CoopsII wrote:
AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:

Or a big Ikea one...

What about a nice big picture of ABBA?

Nah, i'm refering to this
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Well, it's slightly more aesthetically pleasing than last year's car, I suppose...
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
AdrianBelmonte_

East Londoner wrote:Image

Well, it's slightly more aesthetically pleasing than last year's car, I suppose...

But equally slow, i think
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

So instead of a vacuum cleaner, we get Pinocchio:
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Aaargh! Not them aswell! It's bloody red again!

Oh, wait...

And AdrianBelmonte's little picture has just made my Friday a good day :D
Just For One Day...
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

There's a little Alfa Romeo logo on the sidepod too, along with a smattering of Guti-backers.

Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
AdrianBelmonte_

Ataxia wrote:There's a little Alfa Romeo logo on the sidepod too, along with a smattering of Guti-backers.

What about the little Haas logo below the UPS one?
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:Or a big Ikea one...

What about a nice big picture of ABBA?[/quote]
Nah, i'm refering to this
Image[/quote]

Er, I don't get it? Are people getting Sweden and Switzerland mixed up or something? Or is it just because it looks like Sweden's flag colours?

Surely they should be sponsored by Toblerone, and funded by UK taxpayer's 'offshore' bank accounts?
Last edited by madmark1974 on 30 Jan 2015, 11:27, edited 3 times in total.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:
Ataxia wrote:There's a little Alfa Romeo logo on the sidepod too, along with a smattering of Guti-backers.

What about the little Haas logo below the UPS one?

That was there last season.
AdrianBelmonte_

Some details of Ferrari "S-FIST"

#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Ataxia wrote:There's a little Alfa Romeo logo on the sidepod too

Looks like an excuse to me. When the electronics seize up, look to Alfa for someone to blame ...