The 2015 Launch Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
AndreaModa

Re: The 2015 Launch Thread

Post by AndreaModa »

mrfakeboullier wrote:Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere but the Captain's favourite hack is acting like a petulant child about the FW37 launch https://joesaward.wordpress.com/2015/01/21/reinventing-the-wheel-in-grove/#comment-221492

I love how he's completely overlooked the fact that Williams did exactly the same thing last year with their new car (granted, minus the Martini livery, but still, the covers are almost identical!) :lol:
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

DanielPT wrote:Actually is coming from a German bloke as Dj_bereta posted in the silly season thread.

Lots of rumours come out of Germany. They don't really gain traction until they are picked up by the English media. Which is the problem with Saward - he knows that the rumours will set in, so he publishes anything negative about Mallya that he can find. He is very careful to make sure it comes from someone else, though.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Captain Hammer wrote:
DanielPT wrote:Actually is coming from a German bloke as Dj_bereta posted in the silly season thread.

Lots of rumours come out of Germany. They don't really gain traction until they are picked up by the English media. Which is the problem with Saward - he knows that the rumours will set in, so he publishes anything negative about Mallya that he can find. He is very careful to make sure it comes from someone else, though.

Not to mention the German bloke where these rumours come from is workin' for motorsport-total.com. Not the most trustworthy of German motorsport sources.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Captain Hammer wrote:

I don't agree with you there. Saward already posted much stuff about Mallya (Hell, he does it in pretty much a monthly basis) that has not been picked up by other people. He mostly goes to the Indian papers and reports anything negative about Mallya that is written there and up until now I haven't seen any signs that this stuff is being used in the west against Mallya. These ones have more traction than usual although I give you that they barely get a reference in the mainstream news feeds. Again, this still concerns me way more that the usual Saward hate filled post but I am hoping for my gut feeling to be wrong this time around.

That he had a thing for Mallya we already knew, what "surprised" me recently was his double standards about Marussia and Caterham. One was having trouble because of their "smug Russian owner" the other was... Silence.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
razta

Post by razta »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obRgDko-IpI

Mclaren's re-make of Back to the future.. EPICALLY Rejectful acting.. that it's BRILLIANT :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kudos to Mclaren
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

razta wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obRgDko-IpI

Mclaren's re-make of Back to the future.. EPICALLY Rejectful acting.. that it's BRILLIANT :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kudos to Mclaren

Soooo..... The new McLaren is only capable of 88 mph then! :lol: And it does not have an exposed stainless steel body to aid the flux dispersal! :o

Well, here's hoping that their F1 racer is better than their road-car range then!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

razta wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obRgDko-IpI

Kudos to Mclaren

That is one of the best worst things I've ever seen! :lol:
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

That looks like sex. Only minor issue is that the McLaren and Force India may look similar, but at least they're both dangerously good looking.
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

WaffleCat wrote:That looks like sex.

I was wondering what sex looks like. So it looks a bit grey, and not quite what you were expecting! (I thought it was either going to be orange or red-and-white.)

One of the nicest noses for a while, that's for sure.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

The livery is okay, but without sponsors it looks like a cheap replica of their own West liveries. Guess the info I thought I had on the car wasn't entirely right...
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
razta

Post by razta »

DanielPT wrote:
That is one of the best worst things I've ever seen! :lol:

HAHAHHAHAH.. and it's even sillier everytime you watch it :lol: :lol: :lol:
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

The car looks nice but the livery design is a bit lazy in my opinion.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Ataxia wrote:The livery is okay, but without sponsors it looks like a cheap replica of their own West liveries. Guess the info I thought I had on the car wasn't entirely right...

And seems like Honda has really pulled them Yen bags in front of Ron Dennis to see the livery virtually empty of sponsors.

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

The livery's disappointing but I suppose it's an improvement on last year.
#FreeGonzo
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

So McLaren-Honda kept silver and managed to still look like a McLaren-Mercedes. How did Honda let McLaren keep the colour of rivals Mercedes? Pretty disappointing stuff...
Last edited by DanielPT on 29 Jan 2015, 13:01, edited 1 time in total.
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Side-by-side comparison of the '14 and the '15 car:

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

I can't put into words how the new McLaren makes me feel!

That should do it.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Really surprised that McLaren haven't attempted to disassociate themselves at all from Mercedes. Surely that's what Honda would want? The livery is nice enough (like the Force India if the Force India had been done properly), but I hoped for something new rather than keeping with silver (even if there is a splash of black too).

mario wrote:Their argument is that, because the first test in Jerez is rather atypical - the tarmac is unusually abrasive and the ambient temperature is abnormally low compared to the typical temperatures at most venues - the value of testing there is lower than at other venues. In fact, some of the teams have openly questioned in the past whether it is actually worth testing in Jerez at this time of year because of those factors, which is why the pre-season tests have sometimes been held in Bahrain instead (where the ambient temperatures are more representative).

If it is for the reasons that they are stating, it might not necessarily be a bad decision to sacrifice the first test in turn for the additional development time. Some teams have opted for that tactic in the past, such as Red Bull, in 2010, whilst equally Lotus were able to turn things around in 2012 when they had the more serious issue of having to redesign the mounting point for the rear suspension and dealing with a chassis fault, which forced them to pull out of that test. We also know that, although they've not been officially announced, Red Bull have leaked the fact that there will be two in season tests at Silverstone and in Austria, so we know that there will be further opportunities within the season to test new parts.

Admittedly, we cannot fully discount the possibility that they are not going for more concerning reasons, namely that they are in financial distress - I just think that it may be a little too early to tell if that is fully the case.

Yes, I really don't understand why they test at Jerez. Not only are the temperatures not high enough and the track surface abrasive, but layout wise it doesn't really reflect any other circuits on the calendar. Barcelona has the benefit of being a circuit that tests all aspects of a car's performance (high and low speed mechanical and tyre grip as well as aero and engine grunt), Jerez is tighter and twistier. Bahrain on the other hand is a more representative track with its Tilkedrome layout.
Last edited by watka on 29 Jan 2015, 13:46, edited 1 time in total.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

That McLaren video is one of the best in recent years :D (THIS IS NOT SARCASM, THIS IS A PRAISE)

Glad they restore the silver-red livery
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

I'm still not sure that's the livery they're going to use in the season. At least, I bloody well hope not, I got sick of the Vodafone colours midway through 2012.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

The McLaren itself looks quite good, very clean, I like it. The livery? Ugh. Knowing Ron Dennis, I'm convinced McLaren has bucketloads of silver paint fro 20 years of being Merc's team, and he is too cheap to buy new colors until it runs out.That's the only explanation that makes sense.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
AdrianBelmonte_

This is a leaked pic of new (?) Mercedes, the nose looks different from last year one

#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

The new McLaren looks like a pretty tidy car indeed. Shame about the livery though. Have people told Ron Dennis he can use a different main colour than silver?
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
tBone

Post by tBone »

And another livery that won't change: Toro Rosso released a teaser video. Pausing at 0:03 gives a little glimpse of it.
YOUR
LOGO

Here
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

East Londoner wrote:The new McLaren looks like a pretty tidy car indeed. Shame about the livery though. Have people told Ron Dennis he can use a different main colour than silver?

Perhaps Ron anticipated the Merc team up to last alot longer and he's still got a shitload of silver paint left in the shed.
Just For One Day...
razta

Post by razta »

Better pic
AdrianBelmonte_

razta wrote:

Better pic

Looks like a evolution of 2014 car
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
nome66

Post by nome66 »

Salamander wrote:I'm still not sure that's the livery they're going to use in the season. At least, I bloody well hope not, I got sick of the Vodafone colours midway through 2012.

i got sick of those colors midway through 2007
I believe in German BARawnda-Tyrrell-Simca(and it's working)

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

dr-baker wrote:

I was wondering what sex looks like. So it looks a bit grey, and not quite what you were expecting! (I thought it was either going to be orange or red-and-white.)

50 shades.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

This wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

50 shades.

Boo!
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Looks like someone at Brackley was looking at some of the old cars that factory produced, came across the 2004 BAR nosecone, and thought "that'll do". But I like it.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

On the McLaren and Mercedes: the McLaren lines are sure beuatifull, but the livery... urgh. Not pretty imo. But it does seems it's a very decent package though. The Mercedes is again quite interesting, even though it's a different nose. And yes, it looks a like like the Bar from 2004. :mrgreen:
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Since McLaren launched their new line of merchandise alongside their new car launch (or at least I think they did, the team fills me with so much apathy I can't be bothered to check), I have a fun game for everyone: find the McLaren logo on this shirt without checking the description. Time yourself and race against your friends! Or alternatively, just throw a brick at the McLaren Technology Centre, I won't blame you.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

The McLaren needs sponsors... otherwise I like it, even if it says more "recycling" than "nostalgia" to me....
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Salamander wrote:Since McLaren launched their new line of merchandise alongside their new car launch (or at least I think they did, the team fills me with so much apathy I can't be bothered to check), I have a fun game for everyone: find the McLaren logo on this shirt without checking the description. Time yourself and race against your friends! Or alternatively, just throw a brick at the McLaren Technology Centre, I won't blame you.

Even after reading the decription it took me some time to find the logo... :P

Yeah, reject merchandise if anything.
UgncreativeUsergname wrote:The McLaren needs sponsors... otherwise I like it, even if it says more "recycling" than "nostalgia" to me....

Based on what I've read, you can all blame Mr. Dennis for the lack of sponsors. He's asking for such extortionate amounts of money that Movistar have already given up with them and even Santander are heavily reconsidering their support.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Salamander wrote:Since McLaren launched their new line of merchandise alongside their new car launch (or at least I think they did, the team fills me with so much apathy I can't be bothered to check), I have a fun game for everyone: find the McLaren logo on this shirt without checking the description. Time yourself and race against your friends! Or alternatively, just throw a brick at the McLaren Technology Centre, I won't blame you.

I could forgive them for charging £80 if it was even slightly stylish...but it's not. It's a jumper that screams "middle-aged".
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Waris

Post by Waris »

The McLaren livery strikes me as "Ron Dennis' idea of what an F1 livery looks like". I'm very disappointed.
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
andrew2209

Post by andrew2209 »

The McLaren disappoints me just because there was so much hype about the revival of McLaren-Honda, the hints about the change, and all the unofficial concept liveries. It's not the worst livery, but it's similar to the Force India, and seems to be a throwback to the West McLaren-Mercedes cars, which seems illogical.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Salamander wrote:I have a fun game for everyone: find the McLaren logo on this shirt without checking the description. Time yourself and race against your friends!

It took me less time to spot it than it takes Napalm Death to play "You Suffer" in its entirety.

And who said your vision deteriorates in your old age, then?
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"