The 2015 Launch Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: The 2015 Launch Thread

Post by Wallio »

Well at someone read the nose regs the way the FIA intended. I like it.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

I think that the Lotus looks really nice in the nosecone department and I hope they can give RRRRRMMMMNNN GGGRRRJJJNNN his first win this season.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

It looks good, IHMO. It's nose is a prettier interpretation from the rules and one I hope some others will also make.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Waris

Post by Waris »

This is supposed to be a Formula One car? It looks like a Formula Three car. I also think their livery is a bit shite. Less red = less money from PDVSA maybe?
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

The upper air intake looks weird for me
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
mario

Post by mario »

AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:The upper air intake looks weird for me

By the looks of things, that is because Lotus have integrated two secondary intakes (which I would hazard are possibly where they're housing the intakes for the oil cooling system) into the area beneath the main air intake, which is why the area beneath the air intake is a little 'swollen', as it were.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Clean and beautiful. I like it.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

It's an absolute beauty. The airbox concept is a very interesting solution, and the nose reminds me of the McLaren MP4-19.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

'Present' their new car. Does it look like a lot of CGI to anyone else?
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Spectoremg wrote:'Present' their new car. Does it look like a lot of CGI to anyone else?

Does to me, the reflected light gives it away, but tis the way of things now. The days of booking the Science museum and the Spice Girls are long gone now. Maybe progress has it's plus points after all.
Just For One Day...
lgaquino

Post by lgaquino »

It's one thing not to have spice girls, or a huge launch event. It's really too much, imo.
But the press conference, with the drivers unveiling the car was perfectly nice! Doing that at the track, on the 1st day of tests, whilst not the same, is cool too. And it saves a bit of money ;)

Now, merely releasing pictures (and now not even real pictures, just renders!!) it a bit too much on the cheap side. For all I know, the E23 might not even exist or look like that :lol:

...It does look good, however!
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

CoopsII wrote:The days of booking the Science museum and the Spice Girls are long gone now.

Not for Christian Horner!
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Captain Hammer wrote:
CoopsII wrote:The days of booking the Science museum and the Spice Girls are long gone now.

Not for Christian Horner!

To the best of my knowledge he's only 'booked' one of the Spice Girls ;)
Just For One Day...
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

One is enough.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Autosprint thinks this might be the new Ferrari. I doubt it.

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Autosprint always think they have the new Ferrari.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Captain Hammer wrote:Autosprint always think they have the new Ferrari.

Yeah! This time though, it is me who first saw the new Ferrari... Although it may be an old Fiat Punto as I didn't had my contact lenses on.
Last edited by DanielPT on 27 Jan 2015, 11:37, edited 1 time in total.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Did it look like an elephant sat on it when nobody was watching?

If yes, it was probably the Ferrari.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Captain Hammer wrote:Did it look like an elephant sat on it when nobody was watching?

If yes, it was probably the Ferrari.

It is hard to fail to notice an elephant sitting on a F1 car. My take is that the elephant is not only invisible as it spent all season still sat on its Ferrari with its also invisible partner sat in the other Ferrari. That would certainly explain some lack of performance from Ferrari last year.
Collieafc

Post by Collieafc »

If the Lotus ends up looking like that, I hope they perform better this season on that basis alone!
DanielPT wrote:Life usually expires after 400 meters and always before reaching 2 laps or so. In essence, Life is short.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Waris wrote:This is supposed to be a Formula One car? It looks like a Formula Three car. I also think their livery is a bit shite. Less red = less money from PDVSA maybe?

I get what you mean about the Formula 3 look but it looks alright to me, the simplicity is what makes it good.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

1. That's so ironic! Williams had their partnership when BMW came, and now the ex-BMW squad gets partnered with them! :D

2. It might end up looking good. I hope for the best!

3. Not bad.

Alonso in his overall: there will be more sponsorship than that, probably they will announce their new sponsorship package at the launch.

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Shizuka wrote:Image

Green screen? I'm starting to believe more and more that this is true.
#FreeGonzo
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Shizuka wrote:Alonso in his overall: there will be more sponsorship than that, probably they will announce their new sponsorship package at the launch.

I wouldn't except too much more as Honda is the title sponsor.

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Simtek wrote:Green screen? I'm starting to believe more and more that this is true.

Ah, now that was a classic thread. Happy memories...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Yes! I was expecting a blue and yellow car too. Looking forward!

Shizuka wrote:1. That's so ironic! Williams had their partnership when BMW came, and now the ex-BMW squad gets partnered with them! :D

2. It might end up looking good. I hope for the best!

3. Not bad.

Alonso in his overall: there will be more sponsorship than that, probably they will announce their new sponsorship package at the launch.

Alonso is the newest driver of Hispania.... oh wait. :lol:
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

I get the feeling it will look pretty close to this: Image

It looks like it would stand out pretty well, and knowing Sauber's last few liveries, it must be a godsend for them :D
Klon wrote:What did poor André do to you for him to be insulted like that?
wsrgo

Post by wsrgo »

CaptainGetz12 wrote:

I get the feeling it will look pretty close to this: Image

It looks like it would stand out pretty well, and knowing Sauber's last few liveries, it must be a godsend for them :D

Is this last year's Carlin GP2 car?
eytl wrote:I agree. Especially when he talks about one's nerves sending signals 111a and 6783 etc. to the brain upon seeing Ericsson's hairdo.

He's got it all wrong. When I see Ericsson and Chilton's hairdos, the only signal going to my brain is 1049.
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Hum... So, Force India are skipping test one?
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Miguel98 wrote:Hum... So, Force India are skipping test one?

It's not a good sign that one... It never is since the testing restricted era begun. I fear for their competitiveness.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

They'll be fine.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Salamander wrote:They'll be fine.

Apparently rumours say they aren't. Again, and from my head, the teams that skip the first pre-season testing aren't really considered healthy and don't end up fine. Let's hope FI doesn't follow this tendency.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

DanielPT wrote:

Apparently rumours say they aren't. Again, and from my head, the teams that skip the first pre-season testing aren't really considered healthy and don't end up fine. Let's hope FI doesn't follow this tendency.

Honestly though how much will it affect them? Think about. Best they can do is 5th in the WCC. "The Big 4" are too far ahead for them to catch and Sauber and Torro Rosso are too far behind. And Marussia and Catheram aren't around anymore. So FI is either 5th or 6th behind Lotus. That's the brunt of their movement.

Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

DanielPT wrote:

Red Bull have done it in the past and been fine. Oh, and Brawn did it in 2009...

The option is Force India either turn up with their old car, learn next-to-nothing and spend money on transport for no reward, or just eke out the development time and turn up at Barcelona with a clear plan of what to do. It won't be like Lotus, where they had to get to grips with a new engine formula AND a new aerodynamic formula, where reliability issues to do with the former ended up impinging on their development of the latter.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
mario

Post by mario »

DanielPT wrote:

The official line from the team is that they want to maximise their development time in Toyota's wind tunnel and are therefore prepared to skip the first test at Jerez as a result.

Their argument is that, because the first test in Jerez is rather atypical - the tarmac is unusually abrasive and the ambient temperature is abnormally low compared to the typical temperatures at most venues - the value of testing there is lower than at other venues. In fact, some of the teams have openly questioned in the past whether it is actually worth testing in Jerez at this time of year because of those factors, which is why the pre-season tests have sometimes been held in Bahrain instead (where the ambient temperatures are more representative).

If it is for the reasons that they are stating, it might not necessarily be a bad decision to sacrifice the first test in turn for the additional development time. Some teams have opted for that tactic in the past, such as Red Bull, in 2010, whilst equally Lotus were able to turn things around in 2012 when they had the more serious issue of having to redesign the mounting point for the rear suspension and dealing with a chassis fault, which forced them to pull out of that test. We also know that, although they've not been officially announced, Red Bull have leaked the fact that there will be two in season tests at Silverstone and in Austria, so we know that there will be further opportunities within the season to test new parts.

Admittedly, we cannot fully discount the possibility that they are not going for more concerning reasons, namely that they are in financial distress - I just think that it may be a little too early to tell if that is fully the case.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

DanielPT wrote:Apparently rumours say they aren't.

A lot of which are coming from Joe Saward who, as we all know, will happily repost any negative story or rumour about Vijay Mallya as if it were the truth without bothering to check his facts or his sources.
mrfakeboullier

Post by mrfakeboullier »

Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere but the Captain's favourite hack is acting like a petulant child about the FW37 launch https://joesaward.wordpress.com/2015/01/21/reinventing-the-wheel-in-grove/#comment-221492
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Captain Hammer wrote:
DanielPT wrote:Apparently rumours say they aren't.

A lot of which are coming from Joe Saward who, as we all know, will happily repost any negative story or rumour about Vijay Mallya as if it were the truth without bothering to check his facts or his sources.

Actually is coming from a German bloke as Dj_bereta posted in the silly season thread.

As for the test, the thing that bothers me the most was that when they first announced they would be present with the 2014 car at the first test they already knew it had less value and that they could spend the time in the wind tunnel developing the car. But no. First they announced the launch would be livery only, then they announced that the first test would be made with the 2014 car and then they announced that they wouldn't be there at all. If they were late because of car development I think they would have came forward straight away, like others in the past, and spare us with all this. It has all the smell of financial trouble if you ask me.