The Caterham Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Waris

Re: The Caterham Thread

Post by Waris »

f1andrea wrote:
madmark1974 wrote:
Dj_bereta wrote:Good to see Caterham in the post season test. Not only this, but look at the Stevens times. Impressive work.

I hope Caterham survives and keeps him.

I was quite surprised when I saw him that high up, but then noticed that his time (01:44.888) was only a bit better than his qualifying time on Saturday (01:45.095), so I think it's more a case of
everyone else was just slower. Here's hoping it will still persuade the would-be investors though ...

Me too was surprised. O'Connell said that someone "who is linked in to Formula 1is interested. Somebody who actually knows it, and who wants to do it. If it's serious and it goes ahead then we'll announce things as soon as we can."

I read that too, and I thought... what if it's Flavio Briatore? Is he still banned from working in F1?
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

What if it's Eddie Jordan? Or Paul Stoddard? Or HWNSNBM?

Or ... all three of them!?
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Captain Hammer wrote:What if it's Eddie Jordan? Or Paul Stoddard? Or HWNSNBM?

I would pay actual money to see that happen. And see all three of them fight to be the "voice of the team" :lol:
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

tommykl wrote:
Captain Hammer wrote:What if it's Eddie Jordan? Or Paul Stoddard? Or HWNSNBM?

I would pay actual money to see that happen. And see all three of them fight to be the "voice of the team" :lol:

Unfortunately we all know that HWNSNBM could obliterate Paul Stoddart and Eddie Jordan with a single word.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Henrique

Post by Henrique »

Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

So that will be the first time since 2008 that a team will use the exact same car from last year(say what you will about HRT's cars). Anything for the survival of a reject team! :D
#FreeGonzo
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

Simtek wrote:

So that will be the first time since 2008 that a team will use the exact same car from last year(say what you will about HRT's cars). Anything for the survival of a reject team! :D

If the new owner did restart work on the 2015 chassis, would they be able to use that once it was ready, or are teams limited to one chassis per season these days?
The Iceman Waiteth
What if Kimi Räikkönen hadn't got his chance in 2001?
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Backmarker wrote:
Simtek wrote:

If the new owner did restart work on the 2015 chassis, would they be able to use that once it was ready, or are teams limited to one chassis per season these days?

I don't know for sure, but I assume that so long as you can get the chassis through the crash tests, you can use a new chassis during the season. After all, teams sometimes bring new noses during the season that have needed to go through fresh crash tests.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
LionZoo

Post by LionZoo »

Is using the previous year's car not allowed if the rules stay the same? There were a string of years during Ferrari's dominant period that they would use the previous cars for the first few races of the year.
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

LionZoo wrote:Is using the previous year's car not allowed if the rules stay the same? There were a string of years during Ferrari's dominant period that they would use the previous cars for the first few races of the year.

And when the MP4-18 had cooling problems (thanks Adrian!) McLaren had to re-jig the MP4-17, back in 2003.
The Iceman Waiteth
mario

Post by mario »

Backmarker wrote:
Simtek wrote:

The FIA's current homologation rules mean that, once the season begins, teams are effectively locked into the same design for the survival cell, which effectively fixes the design of the chassis. There are limited means by which a new chassis can be homologated, but it requires a special dispensation from the FIA and usually has to be made on safety grounds (e.g. there is a latent defect with the original design that can only be rectified with a new design).

dr-baker, there are certain limitations on the changes that can be made to certain crash structures once the season begins - for example, Caterham's new nose this season still used the same front crash structure, just with a different aerodynamic faring over the top. Mercedes also brought in a more subtly modified nose this season too, although they might have also homologated certain parts of the front crash structure prior to bringing that new nose in too.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

mario wrote:dr-baker, there are certain limitations on the changes that can be made to certain crash structures once the season begins - for example, Caterham's new nose this season still used the same front crash structure, just with a different aerodynamic faring over the top. Mercedes also brought in a more subtly modified nose this season too, although they might have also homologated certain parts of the front crash structure prior to bringing that new nose in too.

Thanks Mario. A fount of knowledge as always!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Bobby Doorknobs

#FreeGonzo
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

a) Ignore it, it's Christian Sylt. He talks utter crap.
b) Selling a team for that money is quite common. To make it a legitimate sale, it can either be handled with a regular fee or with a nominal fee which is always a small amount. They still have to take on the debt, and also must usually make an agreement to invest a certain amount of money. So, don't think you can start hoovering companies for 40p and a packet of sweets, because it will put you in a lot of debt.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Sublime_FA11C

Post by Sublime_FA11C »

Indeed. What is known simply as Caterham (the F1 team that races the cars) is composed of numerous other companies/entites, and one of those might have been sold for a buck and a half-eaten sandwich. But that's only one small piece and it's probably worth as much.

Then there's the issue of debt, as has been pointed out. You may buy a company that is 40 million in debt for 1 pound, but if you were to do so you'd go down 40.000.001 pounds down. If Romanian ex-footballers wants to throw away money that way, fine. The article is clickbat if i ever saw one.
Leyton House wrote:Sauber - found out painting your car like an HRT will make it go like one.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/30681394
Caterham needing to find a buyer before an unnamed deadline
I'm quite impressed that the team is afloat enough that they can be organising with separate buyers at this point. In all honesty I wasn't aware Caterham were even still around. It's also suddenly sparked my interest as to who their potential two drivers would be. Vergne and Alguersuari would be pretty wizard.

Imagine a team where the drivers go into it knowing there is no actual salary being provided by the team! :D That'd be a first probably...correct me if I'm wrong
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Rob Dylan wrote:It's also suddenly sparked my interest as to who their potential two drivers would be. Vergne and Alguersuari would be pretty wizard.

JEV is certainly not going to drive for Caterham, given as he's already said being a Ferrari reserve driver is better than driving for Caterham.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

Rob Dylan wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/30681394
Caterham needing to find a buyer before an unnamed deadline
I'm quite impressed that the team is afloat enough that they can be organising with separate buyers at this point. In all honesty I wasn't aware Caterham were even still around. It's also suddenly sparked my interest as to who their potential two drivers would be. Vergne and Alguersuari would be pretty wizard.

Finnbar O'Connell reckons there are three potential buyers for Caterham. I'm dubious, but playing along a little:

Billionaire wanting to promote his products: Lawrence Stroll (worth $2.9 billion, mainly owns fashion brands)?
Someone in the automotive industry #1: Dave Richards (chairman of Aston Martin)?
Someone in the automotive industry #2: Franz Hilmer (boss of Formtech)?
The Iceman Waiteth
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

I think it's a bit cynical to doubt that there are potential buyers. Doubt their ability to run the team, but I see no reason to doubt their existence in the first place.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
f1andrea

Post by f1andrea »

They are all wasting their time, maybe they want to pay less as possible to acquire it or they are trying to involve some others parties..I only hope someone can save the team
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Or maybe the delay is because everyone stops working for two weeks over Christmas.

Remember, there is the concession that will allow them to use the CT05 chassis, so there is less pressure to get physically ready.
Waris

Post by Waris »

Are Forza Rossa still involved, or has that gone nowhere?
Bobby Doorknobs

Waris wrote:Are Forza Rossa still involved, or has that gone nowhere?

Apparently they were never involved, in spite of Kolles' involvement.
#FreeGonzo
mario

Post by mario »

Captain Hammer wrote:Or maybe the delay is because everyone stops working for two weeks over Christmas.

Remember, there is the concession that will allow them to use the CT05 chassis, so there is less pressure to get physically ready.

Plus, in theory, a concession to use a 2014 spec engine from Renault at a reduced price, even though technically it is a violation of the FIA's regulations (Renault should, strictly speaking, give Caterham the same specification engine as their other customers, but unfortunately that would also come with the same price tag). Despite those concessions though, it still strikes me as a fairly big stretch for the team - with the first race on the 15th March, Caterham have to have their cars in Australia by the 12th March at the latest in order to get through scruitineering for the first race.

That effectively gives them barely over two months to reassemble their team - a number of whom, as the administrator has pointed out, would need to be replaced as they have already found jobs elsewhere - and, once they have enough people in place to actually operate the cars, then get the cars into a serviceable state and ready to be shipped out to Australia ahead of the new season. They could be in a very difficult situation if they needed something as major as a new chassis, since the lead time on producing a chassis is quite considerable (six weeks is a figure I've heard bandied about at times for producing a new chassis from scratch).
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Waris

Post by Waris »

IIRC, they'd still be allowed to miss the first three races with no consequence, unless that rule has been changed in the meantime.
Frogfoot9013

Post by Frogfoot9013 »

Waris wrote:IIRC, they'd still be allowed to miss the first three races with no consequence, unless that rule has been changed in the meantime.

Maybe my brain (if I actually have one) is making things up on me, but did USF1 try to use that at the start of 2010 as well?
James Hunt, commentating on the 1991 German Grand Prix wrote:The Benettons looking very smart together on the track, mostly because they're both going so slowly.
tBone

Post by tBone »

Frogfoot9013 wrote:
Waris wrote:IIRC, they'd still be allowed to miss the first three races with no consequence, unless that rule has been changed in the meantime.

Maybe my brain (if I actually have one) is making things up on me, but did USF1 try to use that at the start of 2010 as well?

According to a slightly unreliable source, they tried to miss the first four races.
YOUR
LOGO

Here
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

tBone wrote:
Frogfoot9013 wrote:

According to a slightly unreliable source, they tried to miss the first four races.

Here's a slightly reliable source, confirming the fact.
MCard LOLA
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Thinking again about the potential Caterham drivers, Roberto Merhi could be in with a decent shout of a drive next year if Kolles maintains any level of influence on the team. And that leads me to question you knowers of things, do you know if the new buyer is needed in a financial sense only, or is the intention for the current mysterious owners to pass on their ownership to someone else?
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

Rob Dylan wrote:Thinking again about the potential Caterham drivers, Roberto Merhi could be in with a decent shout of a drive next year if Kolles maintains any level of influence on the team. And that leads me to question you knowers of things, do you know if the new buyer is needed in a financial sense only, or is the intention for the current mysterious owners to pass on their ownership to someone else?

It doesn't really matter, the Caterham CT05B would be a career-killer
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:
Rob Dylan wrote:Thinking again about the potential Caterham drivers, Roberto Merhi could be in with a decent shout of a drive next year if Kolles maintains any level of influence on the team. And that leads me to question you knowers of things, do you know if the new buyer is needed in a financial sense only, or is the intention for the current mysterious owners to pass on their ownership to someone else?

Merhi would just enjoy having a career to be killed.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Frogfoot9013

Post by Frogfoot9013 »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:
AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:

I'd be very surprised if the CT05B makes the 107% cut once in 2015, considering the jump in performance Merc are already rumored to have made (a whole second faster, IIRC).
James Hunt, commentating on the 1991 German Grand Prix wrote:The Benettons looking very smart together on the track, mostly because they're both going so slowly.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Frogfoot9013 wrote:
AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:

I'd be very surprised if the CT05B makes the 107% cut once in 2015, considering the jump in performance Merc are already rumored to have made (a whole second faster, IIRC).

Enforcing 107%? :lol:
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

Frogfoot9013 wrote:I'd be very surprised if the CT05B makes the 107% cut once in 2015, considering the jump in performance Merc are already rumored to have made (a whole second faster, IIRC).

Yeah, that rule only existed if you were HRT.
The Iceman Waiteth
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

107% was enforced in such a way that it kept genuinely uncompetitive cars off the grid. Provided that your team-mate qualified and you had set a representative time during free practice, the stewards would let you onto the grid.
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Captain Hammer wrote:107% was enforced in such a way that it kept genuinely uncompetitive cars off the grid. Provided that your team-mate qualified and you had set a representative time during free practice, the stewards would let you onto the grid.

It was enforced once at the start of the year to make Ferrari shut up. This is literally the only reason this rule exists. Ferrari went crying to momma because the backmarker bullies were mean.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Backmarker wrote:
Frogfoot9013 wrote:I'd be very surprised if the CT05B makes the 107% cut once in 2015, considering the jump in performance Merc are already rumored to have made (a whole second faster, IIRC).

Yeah, that rule only existed if you were HRT.

Or MasterCard Lola!
MCard LOLA
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Looks like the end has finally cometh for Caterham. An asset auction is taking place next month before the Australian GP, which includes the 2014 Caterham chassis. A real shame. :(
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
RLeb

Post by RLeb »

"The sport is more important than anything, more important than any of the people in it." - Gilles Villeneuve
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

I bet the Caterham CT07 would have been a Honda RA109/Toyota TF110-style rocket, had it ever been built.
The Iceman Waiteth