2015 Silly Season Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
AndreaModa

Re: 2015 Silly Season Thread

Post by AndreaModa »

I think it was the ability of both Ericsson and Nasr's backers to pay up front immediately that swayed Sauber's decision.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
mario

Post by mario »

Captain Hammer wrote:And it makes sense for Slim to want to be associated with the team. They have far more commercial pulling power than Sauber do.

True, although you would imagine that the price Ferrari are charging the Slim family for advertising rights are likely to be commensurately higher to reflect that - still, the overall publicity is likely to outweigh the higher price.

On another note, it seems that Ferrari have been persisting with their personnel cuts - the latest person to be forced out is Hamashima, the tyre engineer they had recruited from Bridgestone. There is also an interesting rumour suggesting Clear, Hamilton's race engineer, has been targeted by Ferrari and may in fact be leaving Mercedes for Ferrari.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Joe Saward has had a fit of common sense and has suggested that Gutierrez was taken on as a stopgap solution. The plan was to apparently promote Bianchi and draft Marciello into his place. But then Bianchi had his accident, and Ferrari felt Marciello wasn't ready to be promoted so quickly (and they have absolutely roasted him on Twitter for some of his performances in GP2, most notably in Hungary). So they had to find someone to fill in while Marciello continues in GP2, and that someone is Gutierrez.

The question now becomes why they chose the Goo when they could have had their pick of driver. Both Vergne and Kobayashi were free, and arguably better choices. Ferrari don't need the sponsor money, but Gutierrez wouldn't agree to it if he didn't see an opportunity to advance his own career. So what do Ferrari do if Raikkonen quits or is fired at the end of 2016 and Marciello isn't ready for Ferrari?
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

Captain Hammer wrote:Joe Saward has had a fit of common sense and has suggested that Gutierrez was taken on as a stopgap solution. The plan was to apparently promote Bianchi and draft Marciello into his place. But then Bianchi had his accident, and Ferrari felt Marciello wasn't ready to be promoted so quickly (and they have absolutely roasted him on Twitter for some of his performances in GP2, most notably in Hungary). So they had to find someone to fill in while Marciello continues in GP2, and that someone is Gutierrez.

The question now becomes why they chose the Goo when they could have had their pick of driver. Both Vergne and Kobayashi were free, and arguably better choices. Ferrari don't need the sponsor money, but Gutierrez wouldn't agree to it if he didn't see an opportunity to advance his own career. So what do Ferrari do if Raikkonen quits or is fired at the end of 2016 and Marciello isn't ready for Ferrari?

De La Rosa gets some drive time again? :D
Klon wrote:What did poor André do to you for him to be insulted like that?
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Apparently Ferrari are in talks with Bottas, with the Finn agreeing to sit down properly and discuss things some time in 2015. Whether that comes to anything remains to be seen, but they have reached out to him with a view to replacing Raikkonen.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

AndreaModa wrote:Apparently Ferrari are in talks with Bottas, with the Finn agreeing to sit down properly and discuss things some time in 2015. Whether that comes to anything remains to be seen, but they have reached out to him with a view to replacing Raikkonen.

Based on 2014, if I were Valterri, I would stay at Williams over Ferrari. And with Merc power and with Williams stability over Ferrari's current instability, I can imagine (and am hoping) that continues.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Ecclestone piles more misery into the Bavarian justice with this. Worse than selling out its justice system is to made fun of doing just that by the guy who bought it.

Merry Christmas OH-OH-OH!

Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Shizuka wrote:Seriously?

I think he should fire his butler. He keeps forgeting that the senile pills don't last over 48 hours in the human body, to avoid Bernie saying bullshit..

No one, bar Ferrari and Red Bull, will accept this. End of story. Now Bernie, go to a retirement home. There, they can keep your medication healthy and on time, which your butler clearly forgets to do...
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

good_Ralf wrote:NOOOOOOOOO!Image

I'm not surprised. :roll:
#FreeGonzo
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Felipe Nasr will be #12 next year, bucking the trend established by Carlofifty Fiveainz, Mfourx Chilton and Valterri Boseventy-sevenas of working a number into his name.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

I'm just waiting for someone to pick a number seemingly at random from those that weren't in general use for the last 40-odd years. Where is car 47, car 71, car 83, car 59...
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Those numbers will be carried by drivers who consider them important. That's one of the main reasons why drivers have picked their numbers - Vettel, Ricciardo, Alonso, Button, Hamilton, Rosberg, Perez, Grosjean, Verstappen and Magnussen all chose their numbers for that reason.

If I were a Formula 1 driver, I'd pick the number 61 since it was carried by the Maserati Tipo 61, one of my all-time favourite cars. If that was taken, I'd pick 37 for the Lancia Rally 037, another favourite. And my third choice would be 83 for the B83, the formal designation of the Old Pacific Highway, a fantastic driving road between Sydney and Newcastle.
James1978

Post by James1978 »

I must have missed it must what number did Verstappen choose?

Also Nasr took the lowest available number (apart from 2 but who wants that?), even though Chilton's 4 definitely won't be used and Kobayashi's 10 won't be either unless something miraculous happens to Caterham. Can nobody take those numbers now?
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

James1978 wrote:I must have missed it must what number did Verstappen choose?

Also Nasr took the lowest available number (apart from 2 but who wants that?), even though Chilton's 4 definitely won't be used and Kobayashi's 10 won't be either unless something miraculous happens to Caterham. Can nobody take those numbers now?

33. Not sure how long a number has to remain untouched for - the sporting regulations say that a driver's number is for their entire career, but I'm not sure how it will handle things like Christian Klien's career, where a driver drops out of Formula One for three seasons and seems unlikely to return to F1, only for Colin Kolles to give them a race seat. Also, the sporting regulations also say that drivers will be allocated permanent numbers if they join the grid as mid-season replacements, but I don't think that 45 and 46 are Lotterer and Steven's permanent numbers, but instead Caterham's 'spare' numbers.
The Iceman Waiteth
What if Kimi Räikkönen hadn't got his chance in 2001?
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Simtek wrote:
good_Ralf wrote:NOOOOOOOOO!Image

I'm not surprised. :roll:

Been giving a though to this and in the end it is a pity. It was an opportunity to change and improve the F1 brand and subsequently its value but no, everything stays in the same shambolic state where FIA fails to govern and FOM tries to govern. The only hope for change is from a supposedly investigation from the EU to the strategic group and its dealings.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

And suddenly, a wild Frenchman becomes a contender to replace Kimi after 2015

I'd have liked to see JEV try his hand at IndyCar, but this is a great little gig for him.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
IceG

Post by IceG »

Yes Autosport too (winks): http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117199

Excellent for him.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Ooh, tres bon. Isnt he the first french driver Ferrari have officially signed since the mighty Giovanni Alesi?
Just For One Day...
IceG

Post by IceG »

Alesi may have been born in France but I always thought of him as a Sicilian
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

CoopsII wrote:Ooh, tres bon. Isnt he the first french driver Ferrari have officially signed since the mighty Giovanni Alesi?

Jules Bianchi?
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

One week was all that it took to realise that they needed another test driver to 'help' Gutierrez^2. I am also guessing they've split the testing duties the following way: Gutierrez brings the money and Vergne drives. Ok, maybe I am being to harsh on Esteban. :)
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

tommykl wrote:
CoopsII wrote:Ooh, tres bon. Isnt he the first french driver Ferrari have officially signed since the mighty Giovanni Alesi?

Jules Bianchi?

Well, yeah, he was part of The Program but was he ever actually designated as a Ferrari Driver?
Just For One Day...
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

CoopsII wrote:
tommykl wrote:

Jules Bianchi?

Well, yeah, he was part of The Program but was he ever actually designated as a Ferrari Driver?

Well, he drove for Ferrari earlier this year in Silverstone, in the tests.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

andrew2209

Post by andrew2209 »

dinizintheoven wrote:I'm just waiting for someone to pick a number seemingly at random from those that weren't in general use for the last 40-odd years. Where is car 47, car 71, car 83, car 59...

Eventually someone's going to choose #69.

On the topic of numbers, I'd probably take #96, the last 2 digits of the year I was born
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

If this gets settled in the bank's favour in a court ruling, I will eat Bernie Ecclestone.
The Iceman Waiteth
Tank

Post by Tank »

Apparently JEV has signed on as Ferrari development driver - what chance of him partnering Vettel in 2016?

Okay, maybe not...
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

Tank wrote:Apparently JEV has signed on as Ferrari development driver - what chance of him partnering Vettel in 2016?

Okay, maybe not...

Given the rate Ferrari are losing staff, JEV will actually be designing the 2016 chassis.
The Iceman Waiteth
mario

Post by mario »

CoopsII wrote:
tommykl wrote:

Jules Bianchi?

Bianchi was designated as Ferrari's reserve/test driver in 2011, which I assume you would count as being an official Ferrari driver.
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Backmarker wrote:
Tank wrote:Apparently JEV has signed on as Ferrari development driver - what chance of him partnering Vettel in 2016?

Okay, maybe not...

Given the rate Ferrari are losing staff, JEV will actually be designing the 2016 chassis.

Vettel is already designing the 2015 one.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Bobby Doorknobs

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:
Backmarker wrote:

Okay, maybe not...

Vettel is already designing the 2015 one.

It says he's sacked himself and now it appears Kimi's the only one left.
#FreeGonzo
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Simtek wrote:It says he's sacked himself and now it appears Kimi's the only one left.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Even after reading the article yesterday morning (I think) and sleeping, committing it to my medium-term memory, I only paid attention to the headline. I wonder who Vettel will join now, though...?
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

mario wrote:Bianchi was designated as Ferrari's reserve/test driver in 2011, which I assume you would count as being an official Ferrari driver.

:lol: So not such a long time then, formidable!
Just For One Day...
mario

Post by mario »

So, it appears that Honda, via McLaren, is now also publicly lobbying the FIA for a relaxation of the homologation rules for the engines for 2015 - Boullier has now come on the record as saying that the team want the FIA to allow for further development of the engines prior to the freeze kicking in.
"Doing something that will stupidly increase the costs is not what we want to achieve," said Boullier.

"But it's a competition and we can change the cars as much as we want. Within the regulations, I think engines should be frozen once every manufacturer has been able to develop their engines. If you disallow the competition, then this goes against the spirit of the sport."

Of course, Boullier himself admits that it is not so much about "the spirit of the sport" as other manufacturers (which, you would assume, includes Honda) being able to catch up with Mercedes.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117233
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

mario wrote:So, it appears that Honda, via McLaren, is now also publicly lobbying the FIA for a relaxation of the homologation rules for the engines for 2015 - Boullier has now come on the record as saying that the team want the FIA to allow for further development of the engines prior to the freeze kicking in.
"Doing something that will stupidly increase the costs is not what we want to achieve," said Boullier.

"But it's a competition and we can change the cars as much as we want. Within the regulations, I think engines should be frozen once every manufacturer has been able to develop their engines. If you disallow the competition, then this goes against the spirit of the sport."

Of course, Boullier himself admits that it is not so much about "the spirit of the sport" as other manufacturers (which, you would assume, includes Honda) being able to catch up with Mercedes.

So one can deduce, therefore, that the Honda engine is not on a par with the Mercedes then, the two engines that McLaren can directly compare. One would imagine that, if the Honda were better, then they would want to stick with it.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
mario

Post by mario »

dr-baker wrote:
mario wrote:So, it appears that Honda, via McLaren, is now also publicly lobbying the FIA for a relaxation of the homologation rules for the engines for 2015 - Boullier has now come on the record as saying that the team want the FIA to allow for further development of the engines prior to the freeze kicking in.

So one can deduce, therefore, that the Honda engine is not on a par with the Mercedes then, the two engines that McLaren can directly compare. One would imagine that, if the Honda were better, then they would want to stick with it.

The comments would seem to hint at that - I would agree that, if the Honda engine was on a similar level to Mercedes, the engine freeze would be advantageous for them and you would assume McLaren would want to capitalise on that.

If this is the case, I imagine that Mercedes might find the Strategy Group meetings on the 2016 engine regulations to be a fractious affair - we know that Bernie is angling for a mechanism that effectively equalises the engine performance to increase "the show" by putting more teams into contention, whilst Ferrari and Red Bull have already threatened to push for a relaxation or to completely tear up the development restrictions for 2016, which only requires a majority vote.
Boullier's comments, although milder, might give Ferrari and Red Bull some hope that they could persuade McLaren to vote along with them in the Strategy Group, which would leave them tying at nine votes each (assuming that the FIA votes with the Mercedes powered teams and against FOM and the other teams). Force India and Williams will probably resist the lobbying efforts of the other teams and FOM quite hard, but I imagine that their larger rivals will be leaning as hard as they can.
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

andrew2209 wrote:
dinizintheoven wrote:I'm just waiting for someone to pick a number seemingly at random from those that weren't in general use for the last 40-odd years. Where is car 47, car 71, car 83, car 59...

Eventually someone's going to choose #69.

On the topic of numbers, I'd probably take #96, the last 2 digits of the year I was born

Someone already did choose 69. RIP Al http://images.autosport.com/editorial/1399375501.jpg
Williams in the last few years http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
Bobby Doorknobs

The entry list for next year has been updated. Manor and Caterham are still on it, but now Lotus joins them as an entry subject to confirmation. :|
#FreeGonzo