Unpopular F1 opinions

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
mario

Re: Unpopular F1 opinions

Post by mario »

Cynon wrote:
SgtPepper wrote:
This wrote:Unpopular opinion (at least on this forum): the 1975-style cars looked amazingly badass. Yeah sure, they're no beauties, but they really had something.

Agreed. They're interesting in a slightly mad way.

Those cars look like they started building it, looked at it, then said to each other; "Yep, that looks fast, I think." and then went on-track to find out if their hunches were correct.

That does seem to be the popular assumption, but quite a bit more thought and effort went into the cars than just that - telemetry was already creeping into the sport in the 1970's, whilst Ferrari, for example, used the CCTV cameras around their circuit to monitor the car in real time and then back calculated the cornering speeds.

Wind tunnels were already in reasonably routine use at the time, and in some ways the odd proportions of the cars were the result of various concepts being taken to logical extremes, such as the high airboxes putting the air intakes out of the way of the turbulent airflow around the cockpit area and aiming to enhance the ram air effects, the front wings being pushed lower and further away from the front wheels to move them away from the wake of the wheels and to utilise ground effects on the front wing, the radiators being pushed backwards towards the rear wheels, where they could use the fact that you could create a low pressure region in that area to improve airflow through the radiators - whilst there was a certain amount of experimentation and ignorance, it wasn't as if everybody was groping around in the dark for answers.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

Abu Dhabi sunset race is actually nice way to end F1 season.

Not talking about circuit itself or double points happening in this year.
Julien

Post by Julien »

You're right that's unpopular. At least with me. :D I don't like Abu Dhabi, not the slightest bit. The whole race can only happen because idiotic oil-billionaires couldn't find any other way to waste their money... Abu Dhabi is one of the places where F1 never should have ventured IMO.
Jeroen Krautmeir

Post by Jeroen Krautmeir »

I've probably mentioned this somewhere, but I'll say it again. The 2006-2008 cars (when they started sprouting all manner of fins/flaps and whatnot) looked beautiful. People complain about how messy and cluttered the cars looked, but for me there was something about that which screamed not only fast, but well, I suppose you could say aggressive and sexy in an odd way. Maybe it's just the fact that the cars resembled jets more than anything else that helped reinforce the idea that these weren't any ordinary machines you were looking at.

Could just be the fact that I grew up during the grooved era where the cars were always a bit more expressive in terms of design shall we say :P

Honourary Youngest Forum Member, Joint Mackem Of The Forum

"When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting".
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I think you always consider the cars of the era you first became interested in F1 to be the golden standard of beauty. Thus I consider the cars of the early-to-mid 1990s to be the most attractive. "All the right curves in all the right places," as the recent chart hit states. A car you could run your hand along without a fear of catching it on a random corner.

watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

That Simtek is achingly beautiful. I've always preferred cars with an unusual (as opposed to typical whites, reds and silvers) paintjob and smooth lines to be the best. Cant upload any pictures on this phone but think Prost AP04 (2000), first Simtek, Jordan 191 and the 1991 Lambo as examples of simplicity and a catchy paintjob.
However, the aero-mad 2008 cars also stick out as somewhat 'beautiful'. The Honda was a favourite.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

I don't know if anyone remembers those Matchbox Formula one sets. Those were playable but also realistic toys, so that was a goo way to attach to the style of cars from that era.
A few examples:
(btw, if anyone has the Jordan and Lotus cars from these series, i'm looking for them!)
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Those are nice models of beautiful cars. Sorry I can't help with completing your collection.

The only car with "flick-ups" that I found stunningly attractive was the Lola B05/52, aka the A1GP car for its first three series, thereafter used in Auto GP and Formula Acceleration 1.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

This wrote:I don't know if anyone remembers those Matchbox Formula one sets. Those were playable but also realistic toys, so that was a goo way to attach to the style of cars from that era.
(btw, if anyone has the Jordan and Lotus cars from these series, i'm looking for them!)

They were great and from about 1994 I think. Yes, I have the Jordan and the Lotus plus a Ferrari which differed in design slightly, its more Indycar in design. Also, the Williams I have was Mansells FW14. There was a Newman Haas Indycar set available but I never got round to picking that up and then they vanished.

Man, that annoys me now.
Just For One Day...
Jeroen Krautmeir

Post by Jeroen Krautmeir »

dr-baker wrote:I think you always consider the cars of the era you first became interested in F1 to be the golden standard of beauty. Thus I consider the cars of the early-to-mid 1990s to be the most attractive. "All the right curves in all the right places," as the recent chart hit states. A car you could run your hand along without a fear of catching it on a random corner.

It's funny because I never quite warmed up to the pre-raised nose cars. I always thought they looked sluggish and quite frankly rather ugly. My issue stems mostly from the abrupt drop on the nosecone (seen nicely in the first Simtek pic) and the 'humpish' look the car has from the cockpit onwards.

In fact now that I think of it, it probably is only the nose which I have an issue with! I always liked the Benettons from 92' onwards, and the Tyrrells from 90' and 91' (particuarly 91' with that beautiful black scheme). However I just could not accept a screwed up (in my opinion anyway) nosecone! :P

The Ferrari 461 for instance has a nose that reminds me of an ant-eater
Honourary Youngest Forum Member, Joint Mackem Of The Forum

"When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting".
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Jeroen Krautmeir wrote:It's funny because I never quite warmed up to the pre-raised nose cars. I always thought they looked sluggish and quite frankly rather ugly. My issue stems mostly from the abrupt drop on the nosecone (seen nicely in the first Simtek pic) and the 'humpish' look the car has from the cockpit onwards.

Thing is, I don't really see an 'abrupt' drop as you do, but gentle, swooping curves. Certainly, I see them as much more elegant and beautiful than current noses by a long way. However, that Ferrari 461 you showed a picture of? I agree that that is a bit of an unusual looking nose! Just looks a bit... flat from the cockpit to the front wing, unlike the Simtek, Williams and Ferrari I showed. The Ferrari 461 did not have "ALL the right curves in ALL the right places..." ;)
MCard LOLA
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

This is what I think is one of the better looking cars fro, that period.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

If we're playing that game, then here's an unpopular opinion for you. This is one of my favourite cars from the era:

MCard LOLA
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

CoopsII wrote:
This wrote:I don't know if anyone remembers those Matchbox Formula one sets. Those were playable but also realistic toys, so that was a goo way to attach to the style of cars from that era.

They were great and from about 1994 I think. Yes, I have the Jordan and the Lotus plus a Ferrari which differed in design slightly, its more Indycar in design. Also, the Williams I have was Mansells FW14. There was a Newman Haas Indycar set available but I never got round to picking that up and then they vanished.

Man, that annoys me now.

There's been a 1993 series, including a Williams, Ferrari, Footwork, Sauber and possibly a Lotus, and a 1994 series, including a Williams, Ferrari, Arrows, Jordan and Lotus. I have the other 7. (And also have a 1994 Arrows transporter) There are indeed some other models in existence, but i'm only looking for these series. I think i bought most of them in the late nineties. My parents didn't car much about realism, so they gave me the Majorette F1 cars instead, those were very good to play with but not realistic. And when they were realistic, they were just wrong, for example i own one of Senna in a 1985 McLaren-Honda. So when i got old enough to understand these were fake, i insisted that i must have the Matchbox ones.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

dr-baker wrote:I think you always consider the cars of the era you first became interested in F1 to be the golden standard of beauty.

Not sure if i'd consider 2004 the golden standard of beauty, but they are definitely lookers, I can tell you that, other than the walrus-nose Williams of course.

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

You can't talk about the beauty of early-mid nineties F1 cars without mentioning this:

And you can't talk about the beauty of early-mid nineties F1 cars on F1 Rejects without mentioning this:
#FreeGonzo
girry

Post by girry »

Started following in the late 90's-early noughties and that probably is my least favorite era of F1 - both aestethically and racing-wise. Was just about to come and post those lookers but Simtek was quicker with them. Perfect taste, sir.

Although, the Andrea Moda looked even sleeker with less sponsors!

when you're dead people start listening
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

giraurd wrote:Although, the Andrea Moda looked even sleeker with less sponsors!

That is a decent opinion. And I have always pictured in my mind the F1 Rejects logo across the engine cover, where the Industrie Brioche Marche (or whatever it says) logo currently is...
MCard LOLA
MorbidelliObese

Post by MorbidelliObese »

A few examples:

That's just brought a bunch of memories flooding back :D I had those exact same three cars. Not sure where they are now or if they got thrown out/broken as I grew up.

I'm in the early-to-mid 90's camp when it comes to car beauty as well - unsurprisngly enough when I started watching!
Darling fascist bully boy, give me some more money you bastard. May the seed of your loin be fruitful in the belly of your woman.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

dr-baker wrote:

That is a decent opinion. And I have always pictured in my mind the F1 Rejects logo across the engine cover, where the Industrie Brioche Marche (or whatever it says) logo currently is...

Industrie Regione Marche. I have a very high-resolution picture (over 3000 pixels wide) of the Andrea Moda from the same weekend as my current desktop wallpaper (has been for over two years now).
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Nuppiz wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

Industrie Regione Marche. I have a very high-resolution picture (over 3000 pixels wide) of the Andrea Moda from the same weekend as my current desktop wallpaper (has been for over two years now).

That's right. I couldn't quite remember nor make it out from that photo. Would still look cool with the F1 Rejects logo in its place though!
MCard LOLA
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

MorbidelliObese wrote:
A few examples:

That's just brought a bunch of memories flooding back :D I had those exact same three cars. Not sure where they are now or if they got thrown out/broken as I grew up.

I'm in the early-to-mid 90's camp when it comes to car beauty as well - unsurprisngly enough when I started watching!

I likewise had those model cars when I was young, which I used to race on one of these Estoril-based playmats (mine looked slightly different): Image

dr-baker wrote:If we're playing that game, then here's an unpopular opinion for you. This is one of my favourite cars from the era:

I'll raise you with this:

Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I was given a Castrol advertising poster in 1994 with the then-current Lotus pictured on it (when I was about 11/12 years old), so will have a soft spot in my heart. Plus Johnny Herbert was a local boy!
MCard LOLA
MorbidelliObese

Post by MorbidelliObese »

watka wrote:I likewise had those model cars when I was young, which I used to race on one of these Estoril-based playmats (mine looked slightly different): Image

Never had that playmat, mine was of a town so I'd stick lego bricks at certain points/junctions to fashion my own street circuit, although overtaking was impossible when racing anything other than Micro Machines :D
Darling fascist bully boy, give me some more money you bastard. May the seed of your loin be fruitful in the belly of your woman.
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

McLaren needs to drop the Silver color. In the first years of West livery, it was cool, but now its ugly and boring.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Dj_bereta wrote:McLaren needs to drop the Silver color. In the first years of West livery, it was cool, but now it's ugly and boring.

I wouldn't say that it's ugly, but it is too closely associated with Mercedes.
MCard LOLA
Tank

Post by Tank »

I actually liked the walrus-nosed Williams - I thought it very brave and innovative.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Tank wrote:I actually liked the walrus-nosed Williams - I thought it very brave and innovative.

I did too. And then when nobody else tried to copy it and do their own the realisation hit...it was useless.
Just For One Day...
Bobby Doorknobs

CoopsII wrote:
Tank wrote:I actually liked the walrus-nosed Williams - I thought it very brave and innovative.

I did too. And then when nobody else tried to copy it and do their own the realisation hit...it was useless.

I too quite like the look of the original FW26 design, just as I love other weird cars like the Ligier JS5, the Eifelland March or even last year's Lotus. They were unique. They tried something different. They failed, but at least they tried. :)
#FreeGonzo
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Simtek wrote:
CoopsII wrote:

I too quite like the look of the original FW26 design, just as I love other weird cars like the Ligier JS5, the Eifelland March or even last year's Lotus. They were unique. They tried something different. They failed, but at least they tried. :)

I too like the FW26. Back then I thought it was different and a bit on the weird side so it made it the coolest car in the grid for me. Quite a shame that it never won a race. The final proof of its uselessness was when Williams changed to a more conventional front wing design it the result was a bump in competitiveness ending up winning the final race in Brazil.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I actually went out and bought a model of that walrus-nosed Williams (in Scalextrix form), suggesting I liked it...

But my favourite odd-looking F1 car is another one-time winner, the Tyrrell P34. A shame that Goodyear did not continue to develop those unique front tyres.
MCard LOLA
SuzukiSwift

Post by SuzukiSwift »

14.- Satoru Nakajima was mediocre throughout his career. Takuma Sato at least had a modicum of talent.
15.- Oh, God. Kamui Kobayashi was far more consistent than Sato throughout his career.

14. To add to this, Nakajima was flattered by his favoured status at Honda and underperformed in cars that were actually pretty good (Barring the '88 Lotus).
15. Kobayashi>Sato>Suzuki>Katayama.

I must say that outside of certain exceptions (Tyrrell 019-021 series) all of the high-nosed cars were hideous until about 1997.
AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

giraurd wrote:Started following in the late 90's-early noughties and that probably is my least favorite era of F1 - both aestethically and racing-wise. Was just about to come and post those lookers but Simtek was quicker with them. Perfect taste, sir.

#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
Bobby Doorknobs

AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:
giraurd wrote:Started following in the late 90's-early noughties and that probably is my least favorite era of F1 - both aestethically and racing-wise. Was just about to come and post those lookers but Simtek was quicker with them. Perfect taste, sir.

Is it just me or does that Perry McCarthy pic look a little bit like it's a painting? Especially around the helmet.
#FreeGonzo
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

SuzukiSwift wrote:

Would definitely have Katayama above Suzuki. Suzuki got one fluky result whereas Katayama had at one season where he was decent throughout and with better luck would have a podium to his name too.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

watka wrote:
SuzukiSwift wrote:

Would definitely have Katayama above Suzuki. Suzuki got one fluky result whereas Katayama had at one season where he was decent throughout and with better luck would have a podium to his name too.

Furthermore, putting Sato behind Kobayashi is just not apt. Sato is for all intents and purposes better.
SuzukiSwift

Post by SuzukiSwift »

Well, obvious bias as I am a fan of Aguri, but Suzuki had an excellent 1990. I don't have an excuse as to why he struggled so much with the Footworks. As for Kobayashi, I rate him above Sato due to his consistency. One thing Sato, Suzuki and Katayama all had in common (aside from their speed) was the fact that they had no mechanical sympathy at all and crashed a lot.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Kevin Magnussen will NEVER return to F1. The combination of his stamina falling away in the final races and Vandoorne waiting in the wings at McLaren mean that Abu Dhabi was probably his 19th and last race. Mind you Ron must have suffered some pain having him dropped from the line-up.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Bobby Doorknobs

good_Ralf wrote:Kevin Magnussen will NEVER return to F1. The combination of his stamina falling away in the final races and Vandoorne waiting in the wings at McLaren mean that Abu Dhabi was probably his 19th and last race. Mind you Ron must have suffered some pain having him dropped from the line-up.

Nah, he'll be at Red Bull next year and then he will be replaced by Verstappen in mid-2017. His McLaren stint went on longer than his father's but I'm standing by this prediction. :P

600th post!
#FreeGonzo
Frogfoot9013

Post by Frogfoot9013 »

Simtek wrote:
good_Ralf wrote:Kevin Magnussen will NEVER return to F1. The combination of his stamina falling away in the final races and Vandoorne waiting in the wings at McLaren mean that Abu Dhabi was probably his 19th and last race. Mind you Ron must have suffered some pain having him dropped from the line-up.

Nah, he'll be at Red Bull next year and then he will be replaced by Verstappen in mid-2017. His McLaren stint went on longer than his father's but I'm standing by this prediction. :P

600th post!

I think K-Mag's gonna go into WEC or TUSCC and not be seen again in F1. Maybe he could race with his father at Le Mans?
James Hunt, commentating on the 1991 German Grand Prix wrote:The Benettons looking very smart together on the track, mostly because they're both going so slowly.