2015 Silly Season Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
CoopsII

Re: 2015 Silly Season Thread

Post by CoopsII »

James1978 wrote:McLaren are close to getting a RotY vote for me for this. Why are they waiting so long to decide between Button and Magnussen and it's too late for whichever one gets dropped to be talking to other teams.

Arrogance. Either that or they genuinely aren't sure about Alonso after everything that happened. Perhaps the two parties can't agree a price, Alonso expecting a Ferrari-esque amount wheras McLaren prefer a haven't-won-a-title-since-when? amount.
Just For One Day...
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Captain Hammer wrote:
This wrote:It's short for Christoffel. *Stating the obvious*
In great Christoffel tradition, it would be cool if he'd ever win the Mexican GP and refuses to admit it's not the Indian GP he won.

So ... he's a "Topher".

That has to be the worst name ever.

In some languages, the word for "son" is a legit baby name.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

The unfinished car of Marussia for 2015 season:

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/news ... -revealed/
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

Dj_bereta wrote:The unfinished car of Marussia for 2015 season:

Welp, that just about guarantees we won't see Manor/Marussia on the grid next year :/
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Even Perez wasn't given much time at all. He called it a miracle himself that he'd managed to find another drive after being dropped by McLaren last year, and it'd truly be a Christmas miracle if both Button and Magnussen are employed next year at this rate.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

I say this as a Button fan, the nicest thing McLaren could do now is keep Kevin, and let Button go and have a career in sportscars. Magnussen is finished if he's dumped now.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Rob Dylan wrote:Even Perez wasn't given much time at all. He called it a miracle himself that he'd managed to find another drive after being dropped by McLaren last year, and it'd truly be a Christmas miracle if both Button and Magnussen are employed next year at this rate.

Porsche just expanded to 3 cars and Audi need someone to fill Tom Kristensen's boots - I imagine they could be holding out to see what happens with Button, I can see him transferring very well into the WEC.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Salamander wrote:
Rob Dylan wrote:Even Perez wasn't given much time at all. He called it a miracle himself that he'd managed to find another drive after being dropped by McLaren last year, and it'd truly be a Christmas miracle if both Button and Magnussen are employed next year at this rate.

Porsche just expanded to 3 cars and Audi need someone to fill Tom Kristensen's boots - I imagine they could be holding out to see what happens with Button, I can see him transferring very well into the WEC.

As a Button fan, I would be happy to see that happen.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

AustralianStig wrote:

Welp, that just about guarantees we won't see Manor/Marussia on the grid next year :/

It is also better looking than probably all of the cars that we'll actually see next year. :evil:
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Wouldn't like to see him at Audi though, maybe Nissan? Audi have won far too much of late, it's about time they experienced having their arses handed to them by other manufacturers for the next few years! :lol:
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
UncreativeUsername37

Cynon wrote:
AustralianStig wrote:

It is also better looking than probably all of the cars that we'll actually see next year. :evil:

Grrr. All those cars that don't exist yet that may or may not look ugly.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
James1978

Post by James1978 »

AndreaModa wrote:I say this as a Button fan, the nicest thing McLaren could do now is keep Kevin, and let Button go and have a career in sportscars. Magnussen is finished if he's dumped now.

Not necessarily - having a year as 3rd driver after a bit of a wild debut season seems to have helped Hulkenberg, and also thinking back to Massa in 2003 (and also Sato to a degree). Massa especially seemed to have calmed down when he returned in 2004. A year out as tester in 2002 didn't do Alonso any harm either.

That said it's not an enviable position.
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

AndreaModa wrote:Wouldn't like to see him at Audi though, maybe Nissan? Audi have won far too much of late, it's about time they experienced having their arses handed to them by other manufacturers for the next few years! :lol:

I have to agree. Audi seem to be the largest abusers of money in the WEC, only for that to finally backfire this season :lol: There were rumors last year (I think) that Toyota's budget was only a third of Audi's and guess who got slammed and got a taste of reality this season. Audi seems like the WEC's equivalent to Red Bull. How they got the ACO to allow diesel cars and biased regulations in 2006 I'll never know.

I think Jenson Button would be a good fit for the WEC. But where would he go though? I can only imagine he would go to an LMP1 team, so that's Nissan with the majority of the seats left. Audi need to replace Kristensen, but I can't imagine Button is the answer there. Maybe another Audi seat? Porsche's third car is only for Spa and Le Mans, with 2 seats left for that one (Nico Hülkenberg took the first one). Would he even race after this season in the first place and get himself back into triathalons?
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
UncreativeUsername37

go_Rubens wrote:Would he even race after this season in the first place and get himself back into triathalons?

I remember him explicitly mentioning WEC once instead of vague "other things in life", so I'd think so.
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:
go_Rubens wrote:Would he even race after this season in the first place and get himself back into triathalons?

I remember him explicitly mentioning WEC once instead of vague "other things in life", so I'd think so.

He might take a sabbatical like Hakkinen did after 2001.
BTW, go_Rubens, did you pick one of the avatars I sent you after I won the challenge?
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Yay! Good news everybody! Susie Wolff has been promoted within Williams to official test driver, to the position that Felipe Nasr had this year! Susie is now Williams's 3rd driver! :D
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Meanwhile, two dumb piece of news in F1 today: Horner keeps doing his best Bernie impersonation and McLaren adds a new twist to his driver dilemma.

Apparently Horner is talking to no one but Autosport and a few lunatics who keep listening to his daft ideas and getting irked but, seriously, me, being one of those lunatics, can't stop noticing how some people on top of this sport help some others to bring it down. F1 was always about being the best and beating the competition but apparently Horner wants to bring a new philosophy to the sport: Making the competition drop out in order to win because that is only what matters. I feel uncomfortable having people like this in the sport and would prefer if it was Red Bull to eventually quit, honestly.

As for McLaren, well, apparently from that news it looks like everyone, including Alonso, wants the better driver to stay. The only one on favour of Magnussen is Ron Dennis. I understand how that might be a conundrum to McLaren.

Finally another note, and albeit on GP2, Gasly makes his case for that Toro Rosso drive by topping the GP2 test day 1 on his first try narrowly beating McLaren top gun Stoffel Vandoorne. I honestly can see these two fighting for F1 major silverware in half a decade or so.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

DanielPT wrote:Finally another note, and albeit on GP2, Gasly makes his case for that Toro Rosso drive by topping the GP2 test day 1 on his first try narrowly beating McLaren top gun Stoffel Vandoorne. I honestly can see these two fighting for F1 major silverware in half a decade or so.

Gasly was driving a DAMS though, you'd expect him to be on top with that team.
Everything's great.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Salamander wrote:
DanielPT wrote:Finally another note, and albeit on GP2, Gasly makes his case for that Toro Rosso drive by topping the GP2 test day 1 on his first try narrowly beating McLaren top gun Stoffel Vandoorne. I honestly can see these two fighting for F1 major silverware in half a decade or so.

Perhaps, but he did beat the highly rated Esteban Ocon in the sister car by almost a second. Having said this, I failed to remember Gasly drove in GP2 at the end of this season so not that impressive as I believed. I still think he might get the nod over Sainz jr.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

DanielPT wrote:
Salamander wrote:

Perhaps, but he did beat the highly rated Esteban Ocon in the sister car by almost a second. Having said this, I failed to remember Gasly drove in GP2 at the end of this season so not that impressive as I believed. I still think he might get the nod over Sainz jr.

It would be nice to see the first Pokemon in Formula 1. :P
Everything's great.
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

roblomas52 wrote:BTW, go_Rubens, did you pick one of the avatars I sent you after I won the challenge?

Yes, but I haven't had the time to perform the further editing needed to use it (away from home, as people take Thanksgiving in the US too seriously). However, it's about time America's most diehard Sunderland fan puts himself to shame :lol:
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Collieafc

Post by Collieafc »

DanielPT wrote:As for McLaren, well, apparently from that news it looks like everyone, including Alonso, wants the better driver to stay. The only one on favour of Magnussen is Ron Dennis. I understand how that might be a conundrum to McLaren.

Its probably also on their mind how they dumped Perez after just one year. If it wasnt for that, I think they would have dropped Magnussen already but doing so gives the image McLaren dont look after younger drivers.

Then again, dragging out this saga isnt getting rid of that image either. I still think they are waiting for someone else to blink first to make the decision easier.
DanielPT wrote:Life usually expires after 400 meters and always before reaching 2 laps or so. In essence, Life is short.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Collieafc wrote:
DanielPT wrote:As for McLaren, well, apparently from that news it looks like everyone, including Alonso, wants the better driver to stay. The only one on favour of Magnussen is Ron Dennis. I understand how that might be a conundrum to McLaren.

Its probably also on their mind how they dumped Perez after just one year. If it wasnt for that, I think they would have dropped Magnussen already but doing so gives the image McLaren dont look after younger drivers.

Then again, dragging out this saga isnt getting rid of that image either. I still think they are waiting for someone else to blink first to make the decision easier.

Apparently and according to a much maligned journalist/blogger, it is more pending on Ron Denis negotiations with some Danish sponsors. That is probably why he wants Magnussen to stay unlike pretty much anyone else bar the said Magnussen and respective family (and Button haters like Klon ;) ).
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

DanielPT wrote:Apparently and according to a much maligned journalist/blogger, it is more pending on Ron Denis negotiations with some Danish sponsors. That is probably why he wants Magnussen to stay unlike pretty much anyone else bar the said Magnussen and respective family (and Button haters like Klon ;) ).

Carlsberg McLaren Honda?
Maersk McLaren Honda?
Lurpak McLaren Honda?
The Iceman Waiteth
What if Kimi Räikkönen hadn't got his chance in 2001?
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Backmarker wrote:
DanielPT wrote:Apparently and according to a much maligned journalist/blogger, it is more pending on Ron Denis negotiations with some Danish sponsors. That is probably why he wants Magnussen to stay unlike pretty much anyone else bar the said Magnussen and respective family (and Button haters like Klon ;) ).

Carlsberg McLaren Honda?
Maersk McLaren Honda?
Lurpak McLaren Honda?

Bacon McLaren Honda?

MCard LOLA
andrew2209

Post by andrew2209 »

Going for Gasly and Verstappen would be a very inexperienced line-up, which could affect the development of the car.
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Oficial: Sainz JR to partner Verstappen at Torro Rosso!
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/116973
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

andrew2209 wrote:

Going for Gasly and Verstappen would be a very inexperienced line-up, which could affect the development of the car.

Not that Sainz has any experience of doing it, F1 wise. Anyway the expected was Sainz jr and the expected happened. Let's see how STR will race next year.
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

The good thing for Red Bull/Toro Rosso is that they're able to use Lynn and Gasly to keep pressure on Sainz and Verstappen to perform.
The Iceman Waiteth
What if Kimi Räikkönen hadn't got his chance in 2001?
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
mario

Post by mario »

Collieafc wrote:

It's kind of hard to see how this situation really benefits anybody - the long wait makes McLaren look weak and indecisive and, whichever driver they kick out, it will reflect badly on the team. If they sack Magnussen, it damages the reputation of their young driver program and makes McLaren look like they can't plan out a long term future for their team or their drivers; if they sack Button, the negative publicity from the rude and dismissive way they have treated him will also reflect badly on the team.

At this rate, even if they kept the same line up for 2015 they would probably still damage their reputation - not only would it make McLaren look incompetent if they fail to do a deal with Alonso at this point, it would also create an impression that something was deeply wrong at McLaren if Alonso would rather not sign for them.

He also has amazing arrogance to claim that Red Bull's illegal front wing design in Abu Dhabi was "a naïve interpretation of the regulations" rather than a pretty blatant attempt to cheat. http://adamcooperf1.com/2014/11/27/ille ... ays-marko/
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Sublime_FA11C

Post by Sublime_FA11C »

When you're winning, you can be a d*** to anybody, any time, anywhere. When you're winning.

Which they are not. At this point Vettel is porbably thinking that no matter how hopelesly crap his 2015 Ferrari will be:
a) he is no longer the focus or recipient of Red Bull hate
b) Kimi is unlikely to outperform him except maybe once or twice late in the season

He can kick back and enjoy getting paid and coming up with excuses beginning with "Obviously..."
Leyton House wrote:Sauber - found out painting your car like an HRT will make it go like one.
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Sainz jr. is going to a lost cause. Unless Verstappen do very bad, he knows who is going to graduate to Red Bull in the future.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Where is all of this dislike for CSJ coming from? He's got far more experience than Verstappen, and the FR3.5 title to his credit. If anything, Verstappen is the riskier prospect.

mario wrote:He also has amazing arrogance to claim that Red Bull's illegal front wing design in Abu Dhabi was "a naïve interpretation of the regulations" rather than a pretty blatant attempt to cheat.

Apparently Adrian Newey took the day off and the only person Red Bull could find in the office was Dave the Work Experience Kid.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Captain Hammer wrote:Where is all of this dislike for CSJ coming from?

What dislike? I don't see any dislike here.
Everything's great.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

There is more to the internet than F1 Rejects.

A lot of people are trying to make out that Sainz vs. Verstappen will dwarf Hamilton and Rosberg's rivalry, with Verstappen wanting Vergne as a team-mate and getting Sainz, and Sainz being upset that Verstappen got promoted before him.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Captain Hammer wrote:There is more to the internet than F1 Rejects.

Well, obviously. It'd just be nice, if you made a claim like that, that you not make it in a vacuum. Even then, I don't see how bigging up Sainz vs. Verstappen as a major rivalry as being negative towards Sainz himself.

I can't really see that as being anything though - maybe Sainz will be a bit jealous of Verstappen, but I can't see Verstappen particularly caring either way.
Everything's great.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

There is? :? #soscare

Anyway, personally hoping Sainz will kerbstomp Verstappen this year. I'm still slightly bitter at the fact there's a driver younger than me on the F1 grid next year.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

I'm slightly bitter that there is a four-time World Champion who is younger than me, but I learned to deal with it.
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

East Londoner wrote:

There is? :? #soscare

Anyway, personally hoping Sainz will kerbstomp Verstappen this year. I'm still slightly bitter at the fact there's a driver younger than me on the F1 grid next year.

Get used to it, one day, all drivers on the grid will be younger than you. One day, the majority of grandparents will be younger than you. (altough i got to admit, in Great Britain, most grandparents are only in their thirties)
I don't know what i want and i want it now!