2014 GP of the USSR, aka Russia

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
dr-baker

2014 GP of the USSR, aka Russia

Post by dr-baker »

There have been two previous GPs in what is currently known as Russia, both won in Benz machines. I suppose it's likely that this weekend's will be won in a Mercedes-Benz? A Vauxhall has also scored a podium result in a Russian GP! As these two races were held in 1913 and 1914, it means that a century has passed since the last race in the country.

More currently, as we wait for Jules Bianchi to recover from his crash in Japan, I suppose that a replacement driver will have to be found, and I guess it may be either Will Stevens or Alex Rossi?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Londoner

Re: 2014 GP of the USSR, aka Russia

Post by Londoner »

To be honest, I have very little appetite for F1 at the moment. I suppose I'll still watch the race (somehow fitting it around the BTCC finale), but I'm nowhere near as excited as I'd usually be.

I wouldn't be surprised if Marussia only run the one car for Chilton, considering the turnaround time from Suzuka to Sochi is brutal enough without having a typhoon on top of it. But if they do have a spare chassis on hand, then I suppose either Alex Rossi or Will Stevens will be driving.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

Tobias Gruner (on Twitter) says that all teams are stuck with same parts from Suzuka due to sanctions. :geek:
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

East Londoner wrote:To be honest, I have very little appetite for F1 at the moment. I suppose I'll still watch the race (somehow fitting it around the BTCC finale), but I'm nowhere near as excited as I'd usually be.

I understand. But I'll still have some interest as it's the inaugural championship Russian GP. But I'll watching on delay as it'll start while I'm at church, so trying to then watch all three rounds of the BTCC will keep me busy on Sunday.

East Londoner wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if Marussia only run the one car for Chilton, considering the turnaround time from Suzuka to Sochi is brutal enough without having a typhoon on top of it.

That thought had also occurred to me.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Like East Londoner, I could probably live without this. However, as cheesy as it sounds, Bianchi probably would want us to crack on with it and enjoy it. Marussia should, if they have a spare car, run it with another driver and do the best they can. Can you imagine the emotions if they were to get a point or two?

With a bit of luck the weekend will start with some positive news about Bianchi's health too.
Just For One Day...
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

CoopsII is right. We all know that motorsport is dangerous, so things like what happened with Bianchi are sadly bound to happen sooner or later. Those who watch cars racing believing it won't are only kidding themselves. Drivers go out there driving these incredible machines, risking their lives for their enjoyment (ours too) and it is only fair that we keep watching and keep adapting so for all that happened wasn't in vain. Because if it was, then it is probably time to end F1 racing.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

I am looking forward to Russian GP. It should be boss. I mean Russia has hosted football, tennis and the Winter Olympics, so they do a fine job regardless of all the political and human rights issues that happen in the country
solarcold

Post by solarcold »

When I started watching Formula 1, I could not possibly imagine I would ever witness a race held in our country. Formula 1 was very alien to Russia back then; we loved it but we were separate from it. Then it came - MTS sponsoring Sauber, Zlobin being a tester for Minardi (and the infamous Gazprom sponsorship), Marussia, Petrov, Sirotkin, Kvyat - slowly but steadily we started our way into the sport. The Russian Grand Prix (or, if translated literaly, Bol'shoi Priz Rossii) will be the culmination of this way.

It surely will be marred by Jules' injury, and sadly the mood would not be as we wanted it to be, but it's autosport: while we keep Bianchi's health in our deepest concerns, we should not stop loving and enjoying the sport we love. I hope Jules will be better by the end of the weekend.

I also hope the organizers did a good job, and we'll see an interesting race.

Welcome to Russia!
"Here's your car. Go nuts."
Dallara, 2010
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Echo those sentiments about not getting bogged down about Bianchi. Folks, it's not worth ruining your lives over. Life goes on. As cruel as it may be for Rossi or Stevens to take over the car in such circumstances, it's a fantastic opportunity if either does get the chance. New circuit, everyone equal, and a real chance for them to show what they can do. I suspect that Marussia will run two cars, possibly down to contractual obligations, but even if that's not the case, they'll want to keep the sponsors happy, especially as it's in Russia. Expect a nice tribute on the cars for Jules.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

For how much this race is after what happened in Japan, we're going to see it anyway. For Jules, as respect to him and to all the drivers.

Well, according to the rules, Marussia has to run two cars. Let's see if Bernie makes an exception to it. Anyway, if they indeed run two cars, I guess Alexander Rossi will drive. An MURICAN making his debut in Russia, now that's comical. :lol: :mrgreen:
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

solarcold wrote:When I started watching Formula 1, I could not possibly imagine I would ever witness a race held in our country. Formula 1 was very alien to Russia back then; we loved it but we were separate from it. Then it came - MTS sponsoring Sauber, Zlobin being a tester for Minardi (and the infamous Gazprom sponsorship), Marussia, Petrov, Sirotkin, Kvyat - slowly but steadily we started our way into the sport. The Russian Grand Prix (or, if translated literaly, Bol'shoi Priz Rossii) will be the culmination of this way.

It surely will be marred by Jules' injury, and sadly the mood would not be as we wanted it to be, but it's autosport: while we keep Bianchi's health in our deepest concerns, we should not stop loving and enjoying the sport we love. I hope Jules will be better by the end of the weekend.

I also hope the organizers did a good job, and we'll see an interesting race.

Welcome to Russia!

The track in Sochi actually looks like it could provide a good FP1 and race as it will be green, and the negative camber turn 16 should be interesting to say the least.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

I'm the only who see Van der Garde as potential replacement for Bianchi? He ran in some sessions in this year. Also, Sauber have the same engine of Marussia.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Dj_bereta wrote:I'm the only who see Van der Garde as potential replacement for Bianchi? He ran in some sessions in this year. Also, Sauber have the same engine of Marussia.

I don't think that's going to happen. I'm a little bit worried about Sutil though. He has watched everything happen, and this will sure have a lasting impact on him. Even if Bianci fully recovers, i still think that he feels guilty, even if it wasn't his fault at all, but that's how the human psyche works. I wouldn't be surprised if Adrian would quit F1 on his own right at the end of the year.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

This wrote:
Dj_bereta wrote:I'm the only who see Van der Garde as potential replacement for Bianchi? He ran in some sessions in this year. Also, Sauber have the same engine of Marussia.

I don't think that's going to happen. I'm a little bit worried about Sutil though. He has watched everything happen, and this will sure have a lasting impact on him. Even if Bianci fully recovers, i still think that he feels guilty, even if it wasn't his fault at all, but that's how the human psyche works. I wouldn't be surprised if Adrian would quit F1 on his own right at the end of the year.

I wondered about this myself. The first I knew of what exactly happened at the crash site was Sutil's description to the media. Only time will tell what impact that this has had on Adrian.
MCard LOLA
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

Like many others I'm feeling pretty ambivalent about the race, but I'm certainly not going to miss it.

If Marussia end up running two cars I'd say it will be Rossi making his debut.

Going to be a tough weekend for all drivers, though. Expect tension to be high.
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
The Dutch Bear

Post by The Dutch Bear »

dr-baker wrote:
This wrote:

I wondered about this myself. The first I knew of what exactly happened at the crash site was Sutil's description to the media. Only time will tell what impact that this has had on Adrian.
According to van der Garde Sutil was quite in shock when he returned in the pits. 'What I have just seen is unbelievable' is what Sutil said to van der Garde. I hope Sutil won't be too traumatized by this, but is unlikely he will ever forget what happened.
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

This wrote:I don't think that's going to happen. I'm a little bit worried about Sutil though. He has watched everything happen, and this will sure have a lasting impact on him. Even if Bianci fully recovers, i still think that he feels guilty, even if it wasn't his fault at all, but that's how the human psyche works. I wouldn't be surprised if Adrian would quit F1 on his own right at the end of the year.

He was strangely unemotional when talking on TV which in itself is a little worrying, as if he was still in shock or something. Others such as Rosberg and Vettel were clearly affected when speaking. I think my feelings for Sutil have been, let's say, fairly well expressed on here but you really wouldn't wish that on anyone.

As for quitting, I would say that was quite possible. Certainly Eric Comas had his mind made up when he was released onto the track in error just after Senna's crash.
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Meanwhile, down in Catheram, Kobayashi to drive in Russia, while Mehri continues to do FP1.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

I think I've already found the Reject of the Race:

mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Captain Hammer wrote:I think I've already found the Reject of the Race:

The fact that it is a champ car on the front says a lot :lol:
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Dan B

Post by Dan B »

Nevermind Putin, but that's not even an F1 car. Could the T-Shirt designers have done a little research? Even a car from 1995 would be more acceptable than a freaking Champ Car.
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

Dan B wrote:Nevermind Putin, but that's not even an F1 car. Could the T-Shirt designers have done a little research? Even a car from 1995 would be more acceptable than a freaking Champ Car.

At least its an ex F1 driver in the car... Justin Wilson....

maybe putin might get a drive in fp1 this weekend....
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

That T-shirt is Rejectfulness personified. I want one. Not to wear, just to own.
Just For One Day...
GwilymJJames

Post by GwilymJJames »

Poor show from the FIA to stick Sutil and Booth in the press conferences.
WARNING: Vettel fan.

Shut up Eccles!
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

We need a Reject memorabilia thread.
GwilymJJames wrote:Poor show from the FIA to stick Sutil and Booth in the press conferences.

Why? They are directly related to an issue that is weighing heavily on the sport. No doubt both had the choice to opt out if they wished.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
LionZoo

Post by LionZoo »

roblomas52 wrote:

The fact that it is a champ car on the front says a lot :lol:

This is the best worst shirt ever.
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

And now they suddenly want a night race for next year: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/116220

My opinion: What's the actual point?
#FreeGonzo
HawkAussie

Post by HawkAussie »

Simtek wrote:And now they suddenly want a night race for next year: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/116220

My opinion: What's the actual point?

Russian GP Organizers for ROTR
Officially Retired
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

It does seem a bit silly. After watching the Olympics, you could see Sochi is surrounded by snowy mountains and the sea. The mountains in particular would make for a unique backdrop for a Grand Prix.

Why would the Russians want to block that view?
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

I approve a night race in Sochi. I don't want to wake up 8 am in sunday for watch the race. :)
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

And I don't want to have to get up at 3am on a school night to watch races, but I do, and I don't bitch about it.
Sublime_FA11C

Post by Sublime_FA11C »

Captain Hammer wrote:It does seem a bit silly. After watching the Olympics, you could see Sochi is surrounded by snowy mountains and the sea. The mountains in particular would make for a unique backdrop for a Grand Prix.

Why would the Russians want to block that view?

Well said. Singapore organisers are thinking along the same lines regarding their event. Singapore is very pretty in the daylight and despite the night race being a unique and a spectacularly beautifull race... well it's no longer unique and for all the jazzy, lit up imagery previous races delivered, it doesn't do their city justice to hide it in the night like that.

If more and more events clamor to become night races, they might move to a daytime race. Not sure what time of the year it's not oppresively hot in Singapore though.
Leyton House wrote:Sauber - found out painting your car like an HRT will make it go like one.
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

That pitlane entry :shock:

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

Shizuka wrote:Image

The odds for someone doing a Coulthard just shot up :P
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
TheFlyingCaterham

Post by TheFlyingCaterham »

pasta_maldonado wrote:
Shizuka wrote:Image

The odds for someone doing a Coulthard just shot up :P

And they don't have car electronics to blame this time.
Resident Track Designer Addict

2016 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Champion
2017 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Runner-Up

More of a reader than a poster on these forums, so I won't post much compared to others.
solarcold

Post by solarcold »

I've just heard Kvyat's interview after the soccer match between racers and Russian celebrities... His Russian language sounds soooo foreign after years in Europe!
"Here's your car. Go nuts."
Dallara, 2010
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

TheFlyingCaterham wrote:
pasta_maldonado wrote:The odds for someone doing a Coulthard just shot up :P

Don't understimate the excuse-making capabilities of F1 drivers. I'm sure they will come up with something more or less plausible.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

DanielPT wrote:
TheFlyingCaterham wrote:
pasta_maldonado wrote:The odds for someone doing a Coulthard just shot up :P

Don't understimate the excuse-making capabilities of F1 drivers. I'm sure they will come up with something more or less plausible.

The brake by wire system failed!
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:

dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I just looked up the review of that Australian GP. I thought that Roberto Moreno had spun and dropped oil at that corner BEFORE Coulthard had his incident there. Turns out I was wrong...

Wikipedia wrote:Coulthard kept the lead until the first round of pitstops. However, he came into the pitlane too fast, locking his front tyres and ran into the pitwall. He was forced to retire from the race. A few laps later, Forti's Roberto Moreno spun and caused terminal damage to his suspension in the same place where Coulthard had crashed earlier.
MCard LOLA
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

That fake merchandise shirt is so wrong! Looks like its producers were clearly afraid of being sued for licensing issues of the depicted motives:

Exhibit A: It does not read "Formula 1" nor "F1". Instead, it just says "Formula".
Exhibit B: It's not a photo of an actual F1 car, but as a previous poster has pointed out, it's a Champ Car instead. And the Champ Car Series does not exist anymore. And neither does Lola Cars. So they can't sue the T-Shirt producers for copyright infringement either.
Exhibit C: The Toyota F1 firesuit. This is a team that is long out of F1 and thus, no legal issue there either.

The irony of Exhibit C is that President Putin once did test a Renault F1 car so there should be actual photos of him in that pose. And Renault F1 Team has the same current status as Toyota F1. They left years ago.

I wonder what the "Wurz conspirators" on this board have to say about this shirt. LOL.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."