2014 Japanese Grand Prix + Couch Discussion Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Shizuka

Re: 2014 Japanese Grand Prix + Couch Discussion Thread

Post by Shizuka »

"Jules Bianchi Cra..." This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Formula One Management.

I... have no words. Someone recorded it with his camera, how on Earth is that copyrighted?!
Ahem. Anyway I downloaded the video, if anyone wants to see it, message me.

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
Ed24

Post by Ed24 »

Pretty sure somewhere in the terms and conditions of buying a ticket it says that anything you film is property of FOM.

I don't normally agree with them removing crowd footage (e.g. Fuji 2007) but in this case probably a good thing to take it down.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
-Abraham Lincoln
solarcold

Post by solarcold »

It's still available at russian vk.com. For now it's the only direct footage of the accident and it would leak anyway. Horrific footage.
"Here's your car. Go nuts."
Dallara, 2010
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

solarcold wrote:It's still available at russian vk.com. For now it's the only direct footage of the accident and it would leak anyway. Horrific footage.

It didn't seem to be when I tried looking for it 5 minutes ago. I'm almost glad I couldn't find it when I tried looking for it just now. But it's sad how many click-bait videos there are out there that is a compilation of photos and call it "amazing footage" or something like that. Or is just world-feed footage.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
solarcold

Post by solarcold »

dr-baker wrote:
solarcold wrote:It's still available at russian vk.com. For now it's the only direct footage of the accident and it would leak anyway. Horrific footage.

It didn't seem to be when I tried looking for it 5 minutes ago. I'm almost glad I couldn't find it when I tried looking for it just now. But it's sad how many click-bait videos there are out there that is a compilation of photos and call it "amazing footage" or something like that. Or is just world-feed footage.

Are you registered on vk.com? The videos are there untouched, I've just searched.

I've also seen a very pathetic YouTube channel full of "Jules bianchi is dead!!!" videos. Sick
"Here's your car. Go nuts."
Dallara, 2010
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

Ed24 wrote:Pretty sure somewhere in the terms and conditions of buying a ticket it says that anything you film is property of FOM.

I don't normally agree with them removing crowd footage (e.g. Fuji 2007) but in this case probably a good thing to take it down.

There was a shitstorm ages ago when a footage of a horrific NASCAR crash was removed for similar reasons. :roll:
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

solarcold wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

Are you registered on vk.com? The videos are there untouched, I've just searched.

I've also seen a very pathetic YouTube channel full of "Jules bianchi is dead!!!" videos. Sick

No, not registered there. First video I go onto on there, it says that it's been removed by FOM, but then I realised there were links to other videos, where I found footage. Horrendous speed of impact.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Saw it. That was a horrible impact. I hope Jules gets better from this.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

I saw the crash video and it was very shocking, as I thought he had crashed a lot slower. :( The marshalls were lucky not to be injured.

I guess Bianchi missed the double waved yellow flags. The crash reminds me of Brazil 2003, where Alonso ran over the debris and crashed heavily into the barrier. Even the safety car didn't help back then.
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

I have to confess I have watched the video, although I do feel a little ashamed of myself for having done so. I wanted to see what had happened, to try and understand it.

It's a very shocking video. Horrific, really. Just the sheer force involved.
SuzukiSwift

Post by SuzukiSwift »

I wish there were more concrete reports on his condition.
pablo_h

Post by pablo_h »

I haven't watched it. Didn't need to after seeing some stills and knowing how solid and heavy the rear of a wheeled excavator/digger chassis is.
We know the damage a spring did to Massa, or a bang did to Schumacher :(
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Paul Hayes wrote:I have to confess I have watched the video, although I do feel a little ashamed of myself for having done so. I wanted to see what had happened, to try and understand it.

I felt the same way, it's amazing that he survived that.

If you haven't watched it, I don't recommend it personally.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

FullMetalJack wrote:
Paul Hayes wrote:I have to confess I have watched the video, although I do feel a little ashamed of myself for having done so. I wanted to see what had happened, to try and understand it.

I felt the same way, it's amazing that he survived that.

If you haven't watched it, I don't recommend it personally.

Well yes. I imagine that he's still critical. Praying that he gets through it.
MCard LOLA
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

The video... Sweet Jesus. How did Jules even survive the impact, I don't know. On the bright side, this proves how far we've come in terms of safety car.. Horrendous impact. #ForzaJules
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Meatwad wrote:I saw the crash video and it was very shocking, as I thought he had crashed a lot slower. :( The marshalls were lucky not to be injured.

I guess Bianchi missed the double waved yellow flags. The crash reminds me of Brazil 2003, where Alonso ran over the debris and crashed heavily into the barrier. Even the safety car didn't help back then.

Well, there was a green waved flag in the point of crane was, in the moment of the crash. I don't know if there were yellow flags before.

take a look in the video of this page:
http://globoesporte.globo.com/motor/for ... 00kmh.html
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

Dj_bereta wrote:
Meatwad wrote:I saw the crash video and it was very shocking, as I thought he had crashed a lot slower. :( The marshalls were lucky not to be injured.

Well, there was a green waved flag in the point of crane was, in the moment of the crash. I don't know if there were yellow flags before.

The video on that page is apparently blocked in my country, but I saw the crash on another site (I don't want to post the link). The duration of the video is 2:12 of which the last 20 seconds are a slow-motion replay of the Bianchi crash. However, there were a few curious things in the video. At the start of the video, you can see a yellow flag in the top right corner. A few seconds later, it has been replaced by a green flag, although the tractor and marshalls (as well as Sutil's car) are still in a dangerous place. Shockingly, the marshall keeps waving a green flag for more than a minute after Bianchi's crash. The camera misses the marshall switching to the yellow flag (and safety car board) again, but it's obvious that he should have waved the flag a lot earlier. Abysmal stuff from the marshall. I would really like to know if there even were yellow flags elsewhere. If not, someone should take responsibility...
Last edited by Meatwad on 06 Oct 2014, 18:53, edited 1 time in total.
mario

Post by mario »

Shizuka wrote:
"Jules Bianchi Cra..." This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Formula One Management.

I... have no words. Someone recorded it with his camera, how on Earth is that copyrighted?!
Ahem. Anyway I downloaded the video, if anyone wants to see it, message me.

I wonder if it is in fact the case that the FIA does not want footage of a driver being severely injured being publicly broadcast - the way that Youtube is set up means that issuing a copyright notice is often the swiftest way of having something deleted.

As things stand, the fact that Bianchi is in a critical but stable condition is at least a sign that there has been some improvement in his condition, but it's still a worrying scenario.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
LionZoo

Post by LionZoo »

Meatwad wrote:
Dj_bereta wrote:

The video on that page is apparently blocked in my country, but I saw the crash on another site (I don't want to post the link). The duration of the video is 2:12 of which the last 20 seconds are a slow-motion replay of the Bianchi crash. However, there were a few curious things in the video. At the start of the video, you can see a yellow flag in the top right corner. A few seconds later, it has been replaced by a green flag, although the tractor and marshalls (as well as Sutil's car) are still in a dangerous place. Shockingly, the marshall keeps waving a green flag for more than a minute after Bianchi's crash. The camera misses the marshall switching to the yellow flag (and safety car board) again, but it's obvious that he should have waved the flag a lot earlier. Abysmal stuff from the marshall. I would really like to know if there even were yellow flags elsewhere. If not, someone should take responsibility...

There were apparently waved yellows before the crash site. The green flag was for after the crash area, which is perfectly within protocol as at the time it was still a local yellow. In a local yellow situation, you're not supposed to go back to racing unless you see a green.
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

So reports seem to be Bianchi has had one major operation to his skull/brain/whatever you call it, is breathing unaided and is in a 'critical but stable' condition. So all the world can do now is wait and pray Jules has some inner-fight.

I've also recently seen the crash as a 'vine' on twitter just to try and understand it (won't post a link) and my God it's awful. It looks like he's gone into the back of the JCB from the left-side at virtually full-race speed. How on earth he wasn't killed outright is down to high-tech safety and downright luck. Incredible impact. I've never seen a crash that horrific in a long time, in any form of Motorsports.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
KL-racer

Post by KL-racer »

Just saw the crash video.

Never since I started watching F1 since 2000, saw such a nasty collision than this one during my time watching F1. If you haven't watched it yet, I advise you not to view it, unless you have a healthy share of tissues to get the tears off your face.
Now posted to PMMF . . . F1 management 2011!

After yet another long intermission . . . I finally posted round 8. What will happen in the second half? Stay Tuned
DonTirri
Location: Herttoniemi, Helsinki, Finland, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way.

Post by DonTirri »

Jesus christ. From the picture Taki Inoue tweeted I thought Jules had gone back first into the tractor (my reasoning: The only way the Airbox can come off while the drivers head doesnt)
But nose first at an angle? At that speed? It's a goddamn miracle he's even alive.

... And since it has for some reason been brought up in official circles, No. A closet cockpit/Canopy wouldn'tve have helped Jules. Not with that kind of an impact.
I got Pointed Opinions and I ain't afraid to use em!
F1rejects no.1Räikkönen and Vettel fan.
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Definitely going to avoid watching the crash video.
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
More_Blue_Flags

Post by More_Blue_Flags »

I was reading the last few posts on this thread on the train into work and had decided that I wasn't going to look for the crash footage ... which then turned up unexpectedly in my Facebook feed. Now, I've seen and been through some pretty bad things in my time, but I was still taken aback. If you feel the need to see it, be aware that it is very confronting.
CoopsII wrote:Wouldnt it be lovely if just for once someone said "I really want to emulate Boutsen and get a decent, if not spectacular, result with some solid points".
tristan1117
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tristan1117 »

Well, I inadvertantly saw the crash video like many here, and needless to say, I was very disturbed by the incident. To be honest, I think it's incredible that he made it to the hospital alive. The velocity he was carrying before he hit the crane was sickening. Try to avoid the footage if you're not comfortable; I know it's almost impossible with social media these days, but I was more affected by the video than any other motorsport crash I've seen.

Forza Jules!
CoopsII wrote:On occasion I have ventured into the PMM forum but beat a hasty retreat soon after as it resembles some sort of bad acid trip in there
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

We all know everybody is going to watch that footage eventually... not for the kick of it, of course, but we're all curious to see what exactly happened. I don't think there's anything wrong with watching it. But well, for those who haven't yet, it's not going to make you sleep well tonight...
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

For those who don't want to watch it, a summary is:

- The car goes in front first, so a head on impact
- The car is doing quite some speed upon impact
- The car well and truly buries itself underneath the tractor, a big release of energy
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

watka wrote:For those who don't want to watch it, a summary is:

- The car goes in front first, so a head on impact
- The car is doing quite some speed upon impact
- The car well and truly buries itself underneath the tractor, a big release of energy

The car looked to me like it was more of a diagonal head-on impact. The force of the impact briefly lifted the tractor and shook Sutil's car off the hoist. Not pretty.
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

People should choose to watch the clip if they want to but not feel guilty either way. I wanted to watch it simply because I wanted to see what had happened, to understand really. I'm sure there are plenty of nosey ghoulish people who will watch it for the wrong reasons but people like that probably watch all sorts of awful stuff so f**k 'em.
Just For One Day...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

CoopsII wrote:People should choose to watch the clip if they want to but not feel guilty either way. I wanted to watch it simply because I wanted to see what had happened, to understand really.

Exactly why most of us chose to, I hope and imagine. Or at least the case for me.
MCard LOLA
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

I have watched the crash footage mainly because I wanted to know and evaluate what went wrong. As CoopsII said, no one should be guilty of wanting to watch the crash. Human is curious by nature and is kind of normal to want to understand. If people slow down abruptly to watch a crash in the other car lane causing traffic jams in the least or even a crash in the worst, why not when it is just at a click distance in the confort of home?

Anyway, having seen the crash I will go against popular opinion and say that it isn't as strong as some in the past. It will still shock the more sensible, but only because they know what the outcome is. It is still an incredible crash though and, sure enough, that Bianchi is still alive is an already amazing car/helmet safety achievement.
Last edited by DanielPT on 07 Oct 2014, 09:38, edited 1 time in total.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

I'm sure this has been mentioned before and it's pretty obvious but the one small positive to be had from all this is that Bianchi survived at all. A few years ago Im sure he wouldnt have.
Just For One Day...
Boomstick

Post by Boomstick »

So, Holy sh*t.

Holy Fkn sh*t.
LellaLombardi

Post by LellaLombardi »

It's testament to the quality of helmets nowadays that he wasn't killed outright. Hard to say whether it was an aquaplane or something else given the speed that he goes into into it but it appears to be full racing speed :(
Maria De Villotta will forever be badass. Rest in Peace.
Pulling for Schumi and Jules.
lgaquino

Post by lgaquino »

In a way, I'd say he was lucky... I mean, he went really fast for me to have a 100% accurate view, but I *think* the just barely missed the lower part of the tractor.
The back-end of the tractor starts to get higher a bit. I got the impression that he went right into that, and that it was high enough for him to hit/bump his head and get pushed down on the cockpit, rather than receiving a direct impact like the airbox...
Nasty indeed, but in a way lucky too.
Dom_Wings

Post by Dom_Wings »

There are also gif images of the crash now. I won't put the link to it.
Join the GPR Discord server! https://discord.com/invite/6YDQ3aV
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

You know, I can barely see Jules in the car as he approaches. I know he's moving fast and the drivers are low in the cockpit these days, but it looked like he ducked down. If he did, it's a piece of quick thinking that probably saved his life.
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/12433 ... work-in-f1

Interesting article on 'slow zones'. I'd personally support this because I think the yellow and double-yellow flag zones leave too much interpretation to the driver, who is after all there to race to the limit and will only slow down as much as the guy in front of him does.
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Well, off-topic from Jules situation, I don't understand the comments from Felipe Massa about the second safety car. He said the safety car left the track too early, while most of drivers said in the radio about the track being ready for intermediary tyres and they wanted the restart.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

Dj_bereta wrote:Well, off-topic from Jules situation, I don't understand the comments from Felipe Massa about the second safety car. He said the safety car left the track too early, while most of drivers said in the radio about the track being ready for intermediary tyres and they wanted the restart.

Because it's Felipe, he'll find anything to whinge about when it doesn't suit him. The Williams cars are pretty unstable especially in the wet (I couldn't believe how much they squirmed around under throttle when I first saw them in the flesh in Melbourne) so keeping the SC out as long as possible suited Williams knowing the Red Bull had set up their cars for the wet.

CoopsII wrote: