2014 Singapore Grand Prix Discussion Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Londoner

2014 Singapore Grand Prix Discussion Thread

Post by Londoner »

To begin this thread, this is what someone's spotted dotted around the circuit.

Those look positively vicious. :roll:

Anyway, dangerous sausage kerbs aside, I'm really looking forward to this race, because it's gonna be a carbreaker if my hunch is correct. I genuinely think we might lose half the field during the race to various mechanical maladies, as well as the odd mistake. And still Sauber can't score points. :P

There'll probably be a bunch of grid penalties as well, as a number of drivers have exhausted their allocation of engine parts for the year. I believe I read somewhere that Vettel is already resigned to taking one this weekend...
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Miguel98

Re: 2014 Singapore Grand Prix Discussion Thread

Post by Miguel98 »

We take gravel and grass out of everywhere and add run-off and then add these to circuits... FIA Logic :lol: .

Marussia for points this weekend again, you have heard it here folks. :mrgreen:
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

East Londoner wrote:To begin this thread, this is what someone's spotted dotted around the circuit.

Leaves?
Just For One Day...
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Miguel98 wrote:Marussia for points this weekend again, you have heard it here folks. :mrgreen:

Against what East Londoner said, there will be a monsoon and Gutierrez is going to end up winning the race, you have heard it here folks. :mrgreen:
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
lgaquino

Post by lgaquino »

the F1 website is already predictin thunderstorms for the whole weekend.... as usual
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

East Londoner wrote:To begin this thread, this is what someone's spotted dotted around the circuit.

Nick Heidfeld wants a drive this weekend ...
mario

Post by mario »

East Londoner wrote:There'll probably be a bunch of grid penalties as well, as a number of drivers have exhausted their allocation of engine parts for the year. I believe I read somewhere that Vettel is already resigned to taking one this weekend...

Red Bull are trying their best to stretch out their components before they have to take a penalty this weekend - Tost mentioned that Kvyat deliberately took an engine penalty in Monza because he could at least make up some of the ground in the race, whereas at Singapore it is much harder to make a passing move.

At the moment, Horner mentioned in Monza that they think they can manage their engines over this weekend, but it does mean that Vettel is going to be restricted in terms of the mileage he can do in the practise sessions - which is probably the last thing he needs when he is struggling with the car. If things go well, they think they can possibly stretch to Suzuka as well, but they are pretty certain they'll have to take a penalty in the Russian GP.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

High humidity plus engines that may not make it is equal to a nice race.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

eytl wrote:

I sense the excitement already. Or slight boredom.
Last edited by FullMetalJack on 15 Sep 2014, 23:59, edited 1 time in total.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

eytl wrote:

So does Konstantin Tereschenko. Wants to be teammates, flying sideways together.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
BigG80

Post by BigG80 »

This might be an unpopular opinion and in the wrong thread but Tereschenko was sliding on the grass on the inside of the corner and facing the wrong way to the exit of the corner when the kerb launched him. Have we ever seen the footage of how he came to be sliding on the grass on the inside of the corner and facing in completely the wrong direction?

Because (and here is the unpopular opinion) I am going to say it is due to him making a very bizarre error and I don't think that the FIA or circuit designers or anyone can or should legislate or try to account for stupid mistakes by junior drivers.

I mean surely if he had run wide at Blanchimont he would have been in the barriers, gravel trap or recovered the car way before the Bus Stop so the question remains what was he doing off the track like that?

Onto Singapore and I have to say the more years that F1 has visited here, the more I really dislike the track. It is too long, too bland and too much of an example of what is wrong with modern F1 thinking. Shiny lights do not equal glamour.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

BigG80 wrote:This might be an unpopular opinion and in the wrong thread but Tereschenko was sliding on the grass on the inside of the corner and facing the wrong way to the exit of the corner when the kerb launched him. Have we ever seen the footage of how he came to be sliding on the grass on the inside of the corner and facing in completely the wrong direction?

Because (and here is the unpopular opinion) I am going to say it is due to him making a very bizarre error and I don't think that the FIA or circuit designers or anyone can or should legislate or try to account for stupid mistakes by junior drivers.

I mean surely if he had run wide at Blanchimont he would have been in the barriers, gravel trap or recovered the car way before the Bus Stop so the question remains what was he doing off the track like that?

I think this is irrelevant. The Prost-Heidfeld collision proves that you can't always be fully responsible for the situation your car ends up in. And regardless, even if both incidents were silly errors, should both drivers be at risk of serious injury because of that? I don't think so.

EDIT: Bad news for Kimi - apparently there's more chance of proof that aliens exist being discovered this year than him winning in Singapore. :P
Last edited by Salamander on 16 Sep 2014, 09:14, edited 1 time in total.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

FullMetalJack wrote:I sense the excitement already. Or slight boredom.

I might watch this race since I'm more than slightly bored with the IndyCar offseason.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

UNLESS Kimi's mediocre performance this season was a deliberate attempt to stack the odds against him so he could place a large bet on himself to win this race and leave Singapore a rich(er) man! :shock:
#FreeGonzo
mario

Post by mario »

Simtek wrote:

UNLESS Kimi's mediocre performance this season was a deliberate attempt to stack the odds against him so he could place a large bet on himself to win this race and leave Singapore a rich(er) man! :shock:

I know that you're being flippant, but weirdly there is something of a precedent for that. There was talk that Kimi would bet on himself setting the fastest lap in the race during the latter stages of the 2008 season, because putting his own cash on the line was a way of encouraging himself to push harder in the latter stages of the season, particularly as the championship battle began to slip away from him.
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Last year in Singapore Vettel pulled off arguably his best win of 2013. He pulled away from the rest of the field at about 2-3 seconds a lap and should have won by over a minute were it not for the SC, although it is impossible for the SC not to be deployed. I wonder whether that sheer pace was more down to him, his car, or the tyres. Because with Red Bull's new upgrades coming through, Vettel and Ricciardo should be challenging for the win or at least the podium in dry conditions. For some reason when the race is underway it never, ever, ever, rains there.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

good_Ralf wrote:Last year in Singapore Vettel pulled off arguably his best win of 2013. He pulled away from the rest of the field at about 2-3 seconds a lap and should have won by over a minute were it not for the SC, although it is impossible for the SC not to be deployed. I wonder whether that sheer pace was more down to him, his car, or the tyres. Because with Red Bull's new upgrades coming through, Vettel and Ricciardo should be challenging for the win or at least the podium in dry conditions. For some reason when the race is underway it never, ever, ever, rains there.

I think that it was a mix of the car, Vettel's comfort with the car, the time length of the lap and that a lot of other teams had given up on the development race to concentrate on 2014. Times have changed but Red Bull should do well here, perhaps not the victory but shouldn't be too far off of the lap times of the Mercs. I think however that Red Bull don't enjoy the same level of aero advantage that they used to as Mercedes are the first team in years to have both a good power unit and aero to compete with Red Bull.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/316256/wolff-rosberg-and-hamilton-almost-enemies/

YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO BE LEADING THE TEAM, NOT SHIT-STIRRING. ImageImageImage
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Looks like Ricky might pull a Prost '86, if Wolff is to be actually believed. (And if this seriously happens, Mercedes will suddenly have a chance at RotY...)

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Shizuka wrote:Looks like Ricky might pull a Prost '86, if Wolff is to be actually believed. (And if this seriously happens, Mercedes will suddenly have a chance at RotY...)

If I put my Great British patrotism to one side (and by raceday we may need a new flag anyway) I'd really love to see Ricciardo clinch it. Now that's a movie. And ROTY? Should it happen, Mercedes should pack it in and go home because I think they'd be a laughing stock.
Just For One Day...
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

That's "How to handle an intra-team championship battle 101" by Toto Wolff. The final part talks about handing the drivers some weapons and let them sort it out in the pit-box.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

DanielPT wrote:The final part talks about handing the drivers some weapons and let them sort it out in the pit-box.

That actually justifies pay-per-view in my opinion. Will the BBC have highlights?
Just For One Day...
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

CoopsII wrote:
DanielPT wrote:The final part talks about handing the drivers some weapons and let them sort it out in the pit-box.

That actually justifies pay-per-view in my opinion. Will the BBC have highlights?

Bernie will demand too much for it. Due to a casual fan interest spike.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

DanielPT wrote:Due to a casual fan spike.

Is that an audience participation app?
Just For One Day...
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

CoopsII wrote:
DanielPT wrote:Due to a casual fan spike.

Is that an audience participation app?

Bernie Ecclestone wrote:What is an app? And what is audience participation, by the way?
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Still, the big news this weekend is that Jamie is actually going to be at the track.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
andrew

Post by andrew »

Toto Wolff is a collasal anus.
mario

Post by mario »

watka wrote:
good_Ralf wrote:Last year in Singapore Vettel pulled off arguably his best win of 2013. He pulled away from the rest of the field at about 2-3 seconds a lap and should have won by over a minute were it not for the SC, although it is impossible for the SC not to be deployed. I wonder whether that sheer pace was more down to him, his car, or the tyres. Because with Red Bull's new upgrades coming through, Vettel and Ricciardo should be challenging for the win or at least the podium in dry conditions. For some reason when the race is underway it never, ever, ever, rains there.

I think that it was a mix of the car, Vettel's comfort with the car, the time length of the lap and that a lot of other teams had given up on the development race to concentrate on 2014. Times have changed but Red Bull should do well here, perhaps not the victory but shouldn't be too far off of the lap times of the Mercs. I think however that Red Bull don't enjoy the same level of aero advantage that they used to as Mercedes are the first team in years to have both a good power unit and aero to compete with Red Bull.

There was also the fact that Mercedes stated Rosberg's front wing was stalling due to debris trapped between the winglets, which was why Vettel was pulling away so rapidly in that phase - the performance advantage Vettel had wasn't as marked before or after that stage of the race.
Still, there were a number of factors that did play to his strengths - his style of going to full throttle very early in the corner, which perfectly complimented the blown diffusers of the time, the fact that the Renault engine was slightly more responsive at low revs than the Mercedes or Ferrari units and the fact that the change in tyre construction in the latter stages of 2013 did slightly benefit them (although not as much as it benefited Sauber or McLaren).

East Londoner wrote:http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/316256/wolff-rosberg-and-hamilton-almost-enemies/

I do have to wonder what Wolff thinks such statements will achieve - it's certainly not going to improve relations between the drivers, although it's probably going to do more damage to the relationship between the drivers and the team.
LionZoo

Post by LionZoo »

Kobayashi is in. Knowing Colin Kolles, he's probably going to axe him for Suzuka.
SgtPepper

Post by SgtPepper »

I hope we start to see a little more from Hulkenberg for the rest of the season. He may be doing well in the points standings, but I just haven't seemed to see the flare from him that we got last year.
F1 claim to fame - Offending Karun Chandhok 38 minutes into the Korean Grand Prix's FP1.

PSN: SgtPepperThe1st
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

East Londoner wrote:http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/316256/wolff-rosberg-and-hamilton-almost-enemies/

What the hell? What are you doing Toto? Oh god, I know one thing. Who ever looses this title, will probably leave Mercedes.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
mario

Post by mario »

LionZoo wrote:Kobayashi is in. Knowing Colin Kolles, he's probably going to axe him for Suzuka.

I think that he might keep him for the Japanese GP, but replace him soon afterwards - it's the same tactic that Sauber used when firing Kobayashi (the phrasing they used in their announcement made it clear that they wanted to axe his contract before the Japanese GP, but chose to release their statement after that race).

SgtPepper wrote:I hope we start to see a little more from Hulkenberg for the rest of the season. He may be doing well in the points standings, but I just haven't seemed to see the flare from him that we got last year.

It's true that he has been a bit quieter than normal in the past few races - there was that uncharacteristic mistake in Hungary, a poor qualifying session in Spa when normally he tends to do relatively well in wet conditions and although his race performance in Monza was hampered by floor damage and a poor strategy, his qualifying performance in Monza was a little disappointing. On balance, Perez has been the more competitive driver over the past few races, although some of the circuits have favoured him a little more given that they were rear traction limited (especially Monza) and perhaps shifted things in his favour.

To a certain extent, Hulkenberg's slide is a little symptomatic of the general slide in Force India's competitiveness - in the past few seasons, Force India have shown a trend of being reasonably competitive in the early part of the season, but gradually sliding back as the larger teams out develop them. I think that has, to some degree, put Hulkenberg on the back foot - couple that with a few poor qualifying sessions, and it's put him out of position without enough of a pace advantage to climb that far back up the field.
Now, Force India are supposed to be bringing a fairly major upgrade for Singapore, and they definitely need it - as recently as the British GP, Force India were running in 5th in the WCC and were only 15 points behind the third placed Ferrari team, but have lost a lot of ground in the past few races. They are in a pretty difficult situation though - they are close enough to McLaren that they can potentially beat then for 5th in the WCC, but at the same time McLaren's far larger resources would seem to give them the edge in a development race.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Not going to happen. I expect Bottas just slide into Q3 with Massa ending up at around 12th, and scoring 7th-8th in the race at best.

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
apple2009

Post by apple2009 »

Really looking forward to this one.

Hoping for Chilton to score His first points. :mrgreen:
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

mario wrote:
watka wrote:

There was also the fact that Mercedes stated Rosberg's front wing was stalling due to debris trapped between the winglets, which was why Vettel was pulling away so rapidly in that phase - the performance advantage Vettel had wasn't as marked before or after that stage of the race.
Still, there were a number of factors that did play to his strengths - his style of going to full throttle very early in the corner, which perfectly complimented the blown diffusers of the time, the fact that the Renault engine was slightly more responsive at low revs than the Mercedes or Ferrari units and the fact that the change in tyre construction in the latter stages of 2013 did slightly benefit them (although not as much as it benefited Sauber or McLaren).

I do have to wonder what Wolff thinks such statements will achieve - it's certainly not going to improve relations between the drivers, although it's probably going to do more damage to the relationship between the drivers and the team.

I know Mario fanboyism has been expressed enough times on this forum, but sometimes I wonder why you don't just send the BBC or Sky Sports some video footage of you giving analysis and demand a job from them.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Yeah, they can catch. If they replace all the remaining races with races in Monza. In other words, almost impossible.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

watka wrote:I know Mario fanboyism has been expressed enough times on this forum, but sometimes I wonder why you don't just send the BBC or Sky Sports some video footage of you giving analysis and demand a job from them.

I completely agree. He would be a great improvement on guys like Benson...
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

watka wrote:I know Mario fanboyism has been expressed enough times on this forum, but sometimes I wonder why you don't just send the BBC or Sky Sports some video footage of you giving analysis and demand a job from them.

Woah, hang-on we don't know what Mario looks like. He may be some uggo and I'm not sure we want to be looking at that on a Sunday regardless of the quality of his journalism ;)
Just For One Day...
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

CoopsII wrote:

Woah, hang-on we don't know what Mario looks like. He may be some uggo and I'm not sure we want to be looking at that on a Sunday regardless of the quality of his journalism ;)

Given that you look at David Coulthard's jaw every other Sunday, I am not sure what else do you fear. :lol: