2014 Belgian Grand Prix Discussion Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Cynon

Re: 2014 Belgian Grand Prix Discussion Thread

Post by Cynon »

dr-baker wrote:Soooo..... Is Rossi a fan of The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy then? Because if he isn't, then :evil: ...

Glad I'm not the only one that thought that.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
Ed24

Post by Ed24 »

Shizuka wrote:So... Rossi got #42 and Lotterer got #45...

Surely Rossi should have gone with 46! ;)
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
-Abraham Lincoln
Waris

Post by Waris »

Wasn't there someone on this forum who really couldn't stand Alex Rossi, for some weird personal reason?
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Waris wrote:Wasn't there someone on this forum who really couldn't stand Alex Rossi, for some weird personal reason?

That'd be biscione. That is why everyone who wants to make "The Rossi Rave" a thing is getting glassed.
Waris

Post by Waris »

Klon wrote:
Waris wrote:Wasn't there someone on this forum who really couldn't stand Alex Rossi, for some weird personal reason?

That'd be biscione. That is why everyone who wants to make "The Rossi Rave" a thing is getting glassed.

Seems like he hasn't posted about it yet. I guess he must be in a corner sulking. I still wonder what that reason was, by the way, did Rossi steal his high school girlfriend or something?

Anyway, this just occurred to me: what if Caterham were actually going to replace Ericsson with Lotterer, but he was going to take the number 49, and to avoid disaster they quickly decided to replace Kobayashi with him instead, making him change his mind about the race number in the process?
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
GwilymJJames

Post by GwilymJJames »

Hahaha, apparently Chilton's resolved his issues so he's back in.
WARNING: Vettel fan.

Shut up Eccles!
Collieafc

Post by Collieafc »

GwilymJJames wrote:Hahaha, apparently Chilton's resolved his issues so he's back in.

Autosport says otherwise, unless its been withdrawn since...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/115467
DanielPT wrote:Life usually expires after 400 meters and always before reaching 2 laps or so. In essence, Life is short.
sw3ishida

Post by sw3ishida »

Sky Sports are reporting that Chilton's issues have been sorted and that he will drive from FP2 onwards
GwilymJJames

Post by GwilymJJames »

Collieafc wrote:
GwilymJJames wrote:Hahaha, apparently Chilton's resolved his issues so he's back in.

Autosport says otherwise, unless its been withdrawn since...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/115467

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2014/08/22/c ... rand-prix/

Shut up Eccles!
the Masked Lapwing

Post by the Masked Lapwing »

Go home Marussia, you're drunk :lol:
R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Chilton's racing after all? In the words of Daniel Bryan, YES YES YES YES YES.

Casuals look like they're already giving Lotterer stick. Poor deluded souls they are.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

I just heard Graeme Lowden trying to explain what was going on with the Marussia merry-go-round and why.

Never mind Red Bull levels of publicocrap and squirming away from the question, he should be an MP after that!
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

So now that Rossi has not actually debuted properly with the number 42, does this mean that someone like Max Verstappen could come along and 'nick' that number, or is it now actually allocated?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
mediocre

Post by mediocre »

dr-baker wrote:So now that Rossi has not actually debuted properly with the number 42, does this mean that someone like Max Verstappen could come along and 'nick' that number, or is it now actually allocated?

I also wondered: what happens if a driver takes a sabbatical and a rookie steps in and takes his number? Does the old guy have to pick a new one then? Pretty confusing stuff that is.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

I don't think Rossi and Lotterer picked those numbers; the teams have to pick two spare numbers and on a temporary basis like this replacement drivers might use those numbers. Caterham have 45 and 46 as their spare numbers, and my guess is Marussia probably have 42 and 43.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Ataxia wrote:I don't think Rossi and Lotterer picked those numbers; the teams have to pick two spare numbers and on a temporary basis like this replacement drivers might use those numbers. Caterham have 45 and 46 as their spare numbers, and my guess is Marussia probably have 42 and 43.

So say Caterham decide that they're fed up with Marcus Ericsson as well and drop him for Robin Frijns at Monza, who would presumably have #46 as he has for his FP1 sessions - and also put a different driver in André Lotterer's car in FP1 (say, they go running cap in hand back to Heikki Kovalainen for some reason) - what would they do then?

Other than "bring back Kamui"...
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
mediocre

Post by mediocre »

dinizintheoven wrote:
Ataxia wrote:I don't think Rossi and Lotterer picked those numbers; the teams have to pick two spare numbers and on a temporary basis like this replacement drivers might use those numbers. Caterham have 45 and 46 as their spare numbers, and my guess is Marussia probably have 42 and 43.

So say Caterham decide that they're fed up with Marcus Ericsson as well and drop him for Robin Frijns at Monza, who would presumably have #46 as he has for his FP1 sessions - and also put a different driver in André Lotterer's car in FP1 (say, they go running cap in hand back to Heikki Kovalainen for some reason) - what would they do then?

Other than "bring back Kamui"...

Isn't there a rule that you may only change your drivers twice per season, therefore use maximum 4 drivers per team? I think the FIA introduced that rule after the Andrea Moda disaster. I imagine there might be special circumstances though, such as race bans and injuries.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

mediocre wrote:sn't there a rule that you may only change your drivers twice per season, therefore use maximum 4 drivers per team? I think the FIA introduced that rule after the Andrea Moda disaster. I imagine there might be special circumstances though, such as race bans and injuries.

I thought the maximum number was 5, because Prost used that number in 2001. Alesi, Mazzacane, Burti, Frentzen and Enge.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

good_Ralf wrote:
mediocre wrote:sn't there a rule that you may only change your drivers twice per season, therefore use maximum 4 drivers per team? I think the FIA introduced that rule after the Andrea Moda disaster. I imagine there might be special circumstances though, such as race bans and injuries.

I thought the maximum number was 5, because Prost used that number in 2001. Alesi, Mazzacane, Burti, Frentzen and Enge.

That was a special circumstance though, because there was no way Burti could finish the season.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Collieafc

Post by Collieafc »

good_Ralf wrote:

Highest I can think of, post Andrea Moda, that didnt involve injuries was Larrousse in 1994 with 6, (Beretta, Alliot, Noda, Deletraz, Comas, Dalmas) before they folded. I was going to say Pacific 1995 but I think they were 4? (Gacheot, Montermini, Deletraz, Lavaggi - they did plan more drivers though)
DanielPT wrote:Life usually expires after 400 meters and always before reaching 2 laps or so. In essence, Life is short.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Damn, Rossi out runs both Catherams, then gets pulled. Oh Well. Marussia does seem quite drunk. I wonder how many times their drivers will switch before Monza?
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
mediocre

Post by mediocre »

Collieafc wrote:
good_Ralf wrote:

Highest I can think of, post Andrea Moda, that didnt involve injuries was Larrousse in 1994 with 6, (Beretta, Alliot, Noda, Deletraz, Comas, Dalmas) before they folded. I was going to say Pacific 1995 but I think they were 4? (Gacheot, Montermini, Deletraz, Lavaggi - they did plan more drivers though)

Formula1.com says:

Teams may use up to four drivers during a season, all of whom may score points in the championship. A driver change may be made with the permission of the stewards any time before the start of qualifying.
James1978

Post by James1978 »

If Mr Talent is back after all then please can Caterham do the same for Kobayashi? :)
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
GwilymJJames

Post by GwilymJJames »

I see young Pastor Maldonado has had a small incident. He really must be more careful.

Shut up Eccles!
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

GwilymJJames wrote:I see young Pastor Maldonado has had a small incident. He really must be more careful.

When talking about "small accidents" this by de Cesaris come to my mind. Commentated by Ayrton Senna.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20OWtuo-m0M
noiceinmydrink

Post by noiceinmydrink »

Bleu wrote:
GwilymJJames wrote:I see young Pastor Maldonado has had a small incident. He really must be more careful.

When talking about "small accidents" this by de Cesaris come to my mind. Commentated by Ayrton Senna.

I remember seeing this, pissed myself laughing to no end.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Mexicola wrote:
Bleu wrote:

I remember seeing this, pissed myself laughing to no end.

For de Crasheris, that probably WAS a small accident?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

Proud supporter of the United States 2nd Amendment.

2012 Predicament Predictions Champion.
Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

Current weather conditions: Hail and rain storm. 30 minutes until qualifying...
Message me on Discord.
mrfakeboullier

Post by mrfakeboullier »

Correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't Rossi broken Kuwashuma's record for the shortest Grand Prix debut?
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

mrfakeboullier wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't Rossi broken Kuwashuma's record for the shortest Grand Prix debut?

Matched it, actually :P
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

mrfakeboullier wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't Rossi broken Kuwashuma's record for the shortest Grand Prix debut?

I thought the record was held by Jorge de Bagration.

EDIT: Lotterer for DNQ :P
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
apple2009

Post by apple2009 »

Lotterer well off the pace but it can't be easy to debut at a circuit like Spa-Francorchamps. No room for error at this track. In the rain, no less.
Last edited by apple2009 on 23 Aug 2014, 12:18, edited 1 time in total.
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

roblomas52 wrote:

I thought the record was held by Jorge de Bagration.

EDIT: Lotterer for DNQ :P

Right, that's gone out of the window :lol: :oops:
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
apple2009

Post by apple2009 »

Lotterer outqualifies Ericsson. :shock:

Jules P14 - He advances! Go go Jules!

Good stuff. :D
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

So I lost the bet. :lol:

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
apple2009

Post by apple2009 »

I'm going to make a little prediction. Andre Lotterer wins the 2017 Bahrain GP, driving for Red Bull Racing.
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

Delighted for Lotterer. He found 6 seconds on his last run, that's not easy even if you are slow in the first place.

Was all warmed up to hammer Caterham for bringing in a driver with practically no F1 experience in the last decade, in a difficult car, in Belgium, which is a difficult track where it's liable to rain. Was genuinely thinking that the poor guy, through no fault of his own, wouldn't be able to attune to it quickly enough and would record a Deletrazian performance. But no, he's done well.
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Proud of Ericsson today, a solid qualifying effort and only 0.969s behind Lotterer.
His future looks very bright at this point in time.
-*:-
Valrys

Post by Valrys »

Jocke1 wrote:Proud of Ericsson today, a solid qualifying effort and only 0.969s behind Lotterer.
His future looks very bright at this point in time.

Severe quantities of mirth :lol: