Abu Double - Double the points. Double the disappointment.

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Rob Dylan

Abu Double - Double the points. Double the disappointment.

Post by Rob Dylan »

Image.
Looked around for a double-points thread but didn't see one, so I thought I'd start a new one.
So Yas Marina are starting to advertise, putting the first nail in the coffin.

On the good side, it looks like HRT are going to be there :)
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
pher38

Re: Abu Double - Double the points. Double the disappointmen

Post by pher38 »

I really hope the double points idea is done away with at the end of the season.

It's clearly a way for Bernie to make more money. Pay X amount more and your race will become a double points race, meaning it's more important than other GPs.

It devalues other tracks and means the most important race of the year is going to be at a 'soulless' circuit!
"Lap 20 and I do hope for the sake of the gallant hard trying Simtek team that their car with Jos Verstappen keeps running, his team mate Schiattarella is also still running in 13th place but Jos Verstappen from Holland..is in sixth position!"
Collieafc

Post by Collieafc »

Its also grating as a freak result (eg another Maldonado Spain 2012) could single handedly make or break a season, and even whole teams and their finances further down the grid.

Or to put it another way, What if Sauber score only on the last race of the season and only pass Marussias score because its double points? How soul-destroying would that be for Marussia?
DanielPT wrote:Life usually expires after 400 meters and always before reaching 2 laps or so. In essence, Life is short.
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Blah, blah, blah. We get it. You guys don't like double points. I swear to HWNSNBM, if I hear one more person bitching about double points, I'm going postal. In the end, people completely overrate the effect double points have - if someone loses out at Abu Dhabi, it is because they haven't done enough before, not because they were screwed by a single race.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Klon wrote:Blah, blah, blah. We get it. You guys don't like double points. I swear to HWNSNBM, if I hear one more person bitching about double points, I'm going postal. In the end, people completely overrate the effect double points have - if someone loses out at Abu Dhabi, it is because they haven't done enough before, not because they were screwed by a single race.

Just because its unlikely to have an effect, it doesn't mean it's fair. However, we have all blown things out of proportion - case in point being that no one really goes on about the result of the 1988 championship, we're Prost scored more points than Senna but only the 11 best results counted which made Senna champion. I agree that we don't need a thread for double points because it will be full of sourness.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

I don't like the colours of those cars on the poster, but I know, it's a homage to their flag.

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Imagine if the race in Abu Dhabi was red-flagged before 75% distance! We'd get half-double-points! :lol:

Personally the rule is bad, simply because it goes against tradition, as well as being staged at a track that has never produced a genuinely great race (except for 2012, but that was obviously a fluke), with the DRS zones poorly placed.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
wsrgo

Post by wsrgo »

I'm now hearing that Mexico City could host the double points finale in 2015.
eytl wrote:I agree. Especially when he talks about one's nerves sending signals 111a and 6783 etc. to the brain upon seeing Ericsson's hairdo.

He's got it all wrong. When I see Ericsson and Chilton's hairdos, the only signal going to my brain is 1049.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

good_Ralf wrote:Personally the rule is bad, simply because it goes against tradition, as well as being staged at a track that has never produced a genuinely great race (except for 2012, but that was obviously a fluke), with the DRS zones poorly placed.

This is why I was FOR it in the first place; people see the end of the season coming and think "well, I'm a few points behind XXXX in the championship...probably won't catch him. Might as well sit in 11th...". Now, they've got the means to catch the driver in front, and might push a little harder. I mean, I think that was the intention.

Do I think it's a shite idea? It's ridiculously contrived, yes, but it's not the worst thing ever. Let's make the judgement after the race okay? (Even though I suspect it'll go two ways: if it doesn't work, it'll be an endless wave of "I TOLD YOU IT WAS shite!". If it DOES work, people will say "yeah, but it's just so artificial, and artificial is wrong all of a sudden".)
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

pher38 wrote:It's clearly a way for Bernie to make more money. Pay X amount more and your race will become a double points race, meaning it's more important than other GPs.

Not only Bernie but the FIA too. Team and driver entry fees increase for every point that they scored the previous season, so the more points available, the higher the entry fees that the FIA receives the following year!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
SgtPepper

Post by SgtPepper »

watka wrote:However, we have all blown things out of proportion - case in point being that no one really goes on about the result of the 1988 championship, we're Prost scored more points than Senna but only the 11 best results counted which made Senna champion.

I do!

(But I'll agree that it is frequently overlooked).
F1 claim to fame - Offending Karun Chandhok 38 minutes into the Korean Grand Prix's FP1.

PSN: SgtPepperThe1st
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

A double points event is no problem, if the event is something special, like an increased length, or a double-header like IndyCar has them. The way it is now, it is artificially keeping the championship battle open. But if they made a special event at the final Grand Prix of the year, which actually deserves double points, that would be great. It keeps the championship battle open, and even if it doesn't, because a driver dominates, the fans still would have something to look forward to at the end of the year.
pasta_maldonado wrote:The stewards have recommended that Alan Jones learns to drive.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

All the double-points bashers will start backpedaling like mad when Ricciardo wins the title because of winning Abu Dhabi along with a Mercedes double DNF :P
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

Collieafc wrote:What if Sauber score only on the last race of the season and only pass Marussias score because its double points? How soul-destroying would that be for Marussia?

That's unlikely. If one of the Saubers finished tenth in the last race, I think they would still lose to Marussia on countback (surely a 9th place is better than a 10th place with double points). If they took a ninth place, Sauber would probably win on countback even without double points (they already have two 11th places). In brief, either Sauber or Marussia would most likely have to score at least one additional point for the double points to have an effect on their championship position.
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

freak results less likely on a circuit with no rain expected for 1000 years... lol
AxelP800

Re: Abu Double - Double the points. Double the action.

Post by AxelP800 »

For once the race poster looks neat
Last edited by AxelP800 on 02 Aug 2014, 11:26, edited 1 time in total.
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

AxelP800 wrote:For once the race poster looks neate

As neate as Andy Neate? ;)
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

dr-baker wrote:

:oops: I mean neat :twisted:
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

AxelP800 wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

:oops: I mean neat :twisted:

I knew, I was only trying to tease. ;) / :oops: (delete as applicable)
MCard LOLA
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

pher38 wrote:I really hope the double points idea is done away with at the end of the season.

Well, who doesn't? It's completely unnecessary.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Yannick wrote:
pher38 wrote:I really hope the double points idea is done away with at the end of the season.

And yet I worry that if that final race is deemed as success in terms of general popularity it may result in it being a more regular feature. Our best hope may have been a Merc driver running away with it thus making double points irrelevant.
Just For One Day...
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

CoopsII wrote:
Yannick wrote:

And yet I worry that if that final race is deemed as success in terms of general popularity it may result in it being a more regular feature. Our best hope may have been a Merc driver running away with it thus making double points irrelevant.

Yeah, *INSERTMERCDRIVERLEADINGTHECHAMPIONSHIPHERE*WINSLOL may be a blessing in disguise.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

FullMetalJack wrote:Yeah, *INSERTMERCDRIVERLEADINGTHECHAMPIONSHIPHERE*WINSLOL may be a blessing in disguise.

Hah! Yup, be careful what you wish for....
Just For One Day...
Waris

Post by Waris »

As if there were any chance of either of the Mercedes drivers being within 50 points of anyone else come Abu Dhabi.
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
andrew2209

Post by andrew2209 »

The car on the poster looks out of proportion
LionZoo

Post by LionZoo »

andrew2209 wrote:The car on the poster looks out of proportion

And he doesn't appear to be taking the right line.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Everything is in the UAE (and all of the Gulf states for that matter) - they're trying to make up for something they don't have. ;)

That's somewhat tongue-in-cheek but in reality it's partly true sadly.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

AndreaModa wrote:

Everything is in the UAE (and all of the Gulf states for that matter) - they're trying to make up for something they don't have. ;)

That's somewhat tongue-in-cheek but in reality it's partly true sadly.

Alcohol? :P
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.